• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

News Business Target & WalMart are directly competing to save America.

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario

Two big news just happened in the last 24 hours.

First, Target confirms they are increasing hourly pay and are giving out more bonuses to their employees.

Target has a new paid leave program for employees most susceptible to the coronavirus, the retailer announced Friday.

The Minneapolis-based retailer said employees 65 and older, pregnant or with underlying medical conditions can access paid leave for up to 30 days, it said in a news release. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said these groups are most vulnerable to COVID-19.

Target also announced it is temporarily raising pay by $2 an hour until at least May 2, and giving bonuses to 20,000 hourly employees who oversee individual departments in Target stores that will range from $250 to $1,500. The company said the programs and a $10 million donation to relief funds total more than $300 million.

CEO Brian Cornell said in a statement that the company continues to "experience incredible demand."
Second, Wal-Mart is directly going after unemployment and will hire 150,000 new employees by May.

Walmart, the world's largest brick-and-mortar retailer and straining under pressure to get goods in the hands of its customers during the coronavirus crisis, is looking to grow its workforce.

The retail giant said it will hire 150,000 new employees through the end of May to work in stores, clubs, and distribution and fulfillment centers. The jobs will be temporary, but many will convert to permanent roles, according to a news release Thursday.

“We know millions of Americans who are usually employed at this time are temporarily out of work, and at the same time we’re currently seeing strong demand in our stores,” Walmart president and CEO Doug McMillon said in the release.

It looks like Capitalism can still be an asset, even in times when government action is thought of as necessary.

Companies confirmed for trying to save America amidst Coronavirus::

• Target (Increasing pay)
  • Wal-Mart (150,000 new jobs)
  • Best Buy (increasing pay)
  • Amazon (100,000 new jobs + increasing pay)
  • Domino's (10,000 new jobs)
  • Jet's Pizza (nationwide hiring)
  • Bank of America (1,700 new jobs)
  • Sprouts (420 new jobs)

Total New Jobs created during Coronavirus Pandemic: 262,120 *

Non-American Companies who are doing their part:
  • Loblaws (increasing pay)
  • Tesco (20,000 new jobs)
  • TD Bank ($1000 bonuses to public workers)
  • Maple Leaf Foods (bonus pay)

Last edited:

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Amazon too joins the "Save America" bandwagon.

(Reuters) - Amazon.com Inc said on Saturday it is raising overtime pay for associates working in its U.S. warehouses, as the world’s largest online retailer tries to meet the rapidly growing demand for online shopping from consumers stuck at home during the coronavirus outbreak.

Hourly workers at the warehouses will receive double pay after 40 hours for overtime, up from the 1.5-times rate, from March 15 to May 9, the announcement said.

“We understand the past few weeks has been a very challenging time,” Amazon told employees in an internal announcement on Saturday seen by Reuters. “We want to continue to support you during this time where many services you might depend on are no longer available due to closures.”

This is the second time the e-commerce giant announced an improvement in pay for its workers in a week. On Monday, Amazon hiked the hourly rate for associates to $17 from $15 and announced plans to hire 100,000 warehouse and delivery workers in the United States as the virus outbreak boosts online orders.

Additionally, all part- and full-time hourly team members at Whole Foods Market stores and facilities will receive double their regular hourly base rate of pay for every overtime hour worked in a workweek from March 16 through May 3, 2020, the national food retailer said in an emailed statement on Saturday.

Last edited:

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Walmart could use this to pivot hard into the healthcare market. If they get some incentive from the federal government they could expand their clinics a lot more, possibly as testing sites or satellite sites for mildly sick people who do not have the Wu Flu.

Reactions: KINGMOKU

TwoDurans

Formerly 'One (1) Giant Size Novelty Sexual Device'
Apr 23, 2011
Walmart could use this to pivot hard into the healthcare market. If they get some incentive from the federal government they could expand their clinics a lot more, possibly as testing sites or satellite sites for mildly sick people who do not have the Wu Flu.
I bet if they could, they'd be doing COVID tests in their pharmacies or parking lots.

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Loblaws (Canadian Grocery) will now be paying their employees more.

Workers in supermarkets operated by Loblaw Companies Ltd. will see an increase in pay due to the coronavirus pandemic, the United Food and Commercial Workers union (UFCW) said Saturday.

UFCW said they have negotiated a $2 increase in hourly pay for all frontline employees across the country.

“The wage increase is in the process of being implemented and will be applied to the hourly rates of both full-time and part-time workers at all Loblaw stores and associated banners,” said union president Paul Meinema.

The pay increase announcement came out on the same day Loblaw said they plan to install plexiglass barriers to protect their employees from COVID-19.

“UFCW is fully committed to working with industry partners to face and overcome the challenge of containing COVID-19 and making sure that Canadians have a steady supply of essentials throughout this process,” We commend Loblaw for showing leadership on this wage increase and call on other employers to follow this important example,” Meinema added.

Metro says it is also raising wages for grocery store and distribution centre workers by $2 per hour during the pandemic.

The grocer says the wage boost is effective from March 8 to May 2.

The chain says the temporary raise is an acknowledgment of the tough but necessary work their employees are doing during an unprecedented time.

It says it’s also introducing plexiglass guards to service counters to help protect staffers from the virus.

• Love
Reactions: Shaqazooloo

SLoWMoTIoN

Milk Connoisseur
Feb 2, 2018
What a naive take...
Listed busineses see sharp spike in demand and react as any business would.
Hardly anything to applaud for...
Pretty much. Corporations don't give a fuck about their employees or their customers.

Azzurri

Jun 13, 2007
I'm surprised more fast food places aren't hiring more (or maybe they are) they seem not to be hit as hard since it's basically all carry out and drive thru, so no one to really let go.

laser_printer

Dec 10, 2019
Sactown
Yaasss I can't wait to have all these Americans work bottom of the barrel jobs with no real chance of advancement, horrible benefits and shit work culture.

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
Lol, op.

The whole point is they are gong to crash all small and independent businesses and have you reply on big government partnered mega corps as they lock things down, that's not capitalism at all lol.

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
What a naive take...
Listed busineses see sharp spike in demand and react as any business would.
Hardly anything to applaud for...
Lol, op.

The whole point is they are gong to crash all small and independent businesses and have you reply on big government partnered mega corps as they lock things down, that's not capitalism at all lol.
Yaasss I can't wait to have all these Americans work bottom of the barrel jobs with no real chance of advancement, horrible benefits and shit work culture.

Compared to the alternative of having everyone live off social assistance? Nope, this is better.

Wages are also going up at the same time. At best, people can still work these jobs until things have a chance to return to normal. It's their choice if they refuse to leave when all said is done.

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
Compared to the alternative of having everyone live off social assistance? Nope, this is better.

Wages are also going up at the same time. At best, people can still work these jobs until things have a chance to return to normal. It's their choice if they refuse to leave when all said is done.
Lol what? You're literally ignoring the issue with your statement that's happening IN REAL TIME along with these "higher wages" that is, as I said before, not capitalism.

They got you fooled son. (also many of these corps are lying about whether they are cutting jobs or not.)

llien

Feb 1, 2017
Compared to the alternative of having everyone live off social assistance?
You mean, current government plans? I was told 2 Trillion bucks were planned.

Or you seriously think you could employ entire population in food chains?

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
You mean, current government plans? I was told 2 Trillion bucks were planned.

Or you seriously think you could employ entire population in food chains?
I'm pretty sure no Western country has been Agrarian for centuries.

And I don't think injecting cash to keep businesses alive is the same as just paying them to do nothing.

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Lol what? You're literally ignoring the issue
I'm not ignoring anything.

People can work them or they don't.

I don't think the idea is that everyone works at Wal-mart forever. In fact, if our leaders weren't stupid and finally told China to fuck off, we could even see new jobs created by building our own products again instead of having to outsource them to 3rd world countries.

Last edited:

llien

Feb 1, 2017
And I don't think injecting cash to keep businesses alive is the same as just paying them to do nothing.
How is paying cashe to "keep business alive", in case, say, of an airline that has grounded all its planes, is not he same as "paying them to do nothing"?

Or did you mean paying businesses vs paying individuals? That's also rather awkward, as Pens, I was told, plans to do just that, hand out money to individuals.

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
How is paying cashe to "keep business alive", in case, say, of an airline that has grounded all its planes, is not he same as "paying them to do nothing"?
Because they still serve a purpose. America is not going to give up using airplanes anymore then they were going to give up driving cars when we passed bailouts for the auto industry.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

llien

Feb 1, 2017
Unless the pilot managed to find another job in the airline industry (in which case, I would assume no one is actually allowed to work under the influence while employed), this would not be a thing.
What would not be a thing? He won't be able to buy cigarettes with your taxes?

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
People are always so damned concerned about the mission of a company. I can tell you the mission of 95% of companies: to make money. Taking advantage of emotions and putting it into marketing is the biggest sham out there. To be clear, I am completely fine with wanting to make money. Just cut out all of the BS. Those of us in such industries using it know how cringe-worthy it has become.

This is actually a very good point. I hope it happens. I think companies like Wal-Mart getting into the clinic business is one of the best things that can happen for health care. People will immediately balk at that idea because of what they associate Wal-Mart with and what they associate clinics with. However, more private enterprise entering the field will only increase innovation and competition, driving down price. Don't like the service? Don't use it. I would imagine that they could provide a service that would be just fine for the vast majority of Americans at a price that is lower. Why the hell not?

Reactions: Vicetrailia

cabbage5k2

Apr 7, 2019
Read the new unemployment numbers coming out now, this hardly dents these new numbers in the slightest, and they're not necessarily high paying jobs either. This is going to get quite ugly for a while.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: SLoWMoTIoN

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Read the new unemployment numbers coming out now, this hardly dents these new numbers in the slightest, and they're not necessarily high paying jobs either. This is going to get quite ugly for a while.
Jobs are what you make them to be.

You could have two people who work cashier, but one person makes more money because they're willing to work extra hours, they refuse to slack off, they seek bonuses etc.

That's not to say that these jobs can't pay more. Ironically, this crisis has shown companies are willing to raise wages when the demand is there.

But right now, I do think people need to stop complaining and take any option out there. It's one thing to ask for higher pay, it's another to refuse to work at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: cabbage5k2

SLoWMoTIoN

Milk Connoisseur
Feb 2, 2018
If only these same companies didn't rely so much on the China that brought this upon us all...and yet you still trust them?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: DeepEnigma

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
If only these same companies didn't rely so much on the China that brought this upon us all...and yet you still trust them?
Some of these companies predate [modern] China or didn't always rely on them until later.
If they can turn a new leaf and actually support their country, then I would trust them.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
These companies are giving pay increases, when in three months U.S. currency will be useless. :messenger_spock:
This is hilarious. Now people are worried about the value of our currency? When Bernie Sanders was running around promising to spend 10x as much you didn't care. Now democrats are worried about inflation.

If you are to stupid to understand why we want to keep people on companies payrolls, I don't know what to tell you

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepEnigma

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
They have been relying on China for over 30 years.
Then give them a demand or start paying fines.

Similar to how illegal immigrant labor wasn't always popular until more people took advantage of it. Once again, I would be fine with government action if we started putting pressure to hire people locally, or make products in our own country as opposed to importing them from China.

They might not even have a choice if supply from China does get cut off. Unless they want to go out of business, it would be more wise if they do begin supporting their country again.

Last edited: