• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom, new arcade fighter. (Viewtiful Joe in 'da house!)

MoxManiac

I'm really liking how the game seems to be closer to MvC1 in overall play then MvC2. Also noticed that stuffing assists causes permanent damage like in MSHvSF.

EDIT: Music changes mid-fight like the pre-MvC2 games! I heard rival schools 1 music in one of the videos after ryu got ko'd.

Dali

Gamevideos caption said:
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is another fighter in the long line of the Capcom Vs. series. Players can pit Capcom staples like Ryu and Chun-Li against characters from Tatsunoko Productions' anime series like Speed Racer, Macross, and Samurai Cats.

Does 1up/Gamevideos know something we don't know or is this something along the lines of IGN's MGS Triology?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah.

From what I heard the plot will be based more on Gatchaman than the "bastardization", and it'll be more of an origin story.

zoukka

GeneralIroh said:
Belts and zippers are better than rainbow stripes and spurs.

You're entitled to your opinion, but this isn't Emo vs Capcom you know.

I wasn't sold on the trailer, but those gamevideos clips look amazing. Is this coming to consoles?

Netto-kun

Am I the only one who didn't see Gatchaman in the character selection screen from Gamevideos?

Edit:

Ookami-kun said:
Maybe, just maybe, Capcom hasn't gotten the license for Gatchaman hence he isn't here? D:
Hmm that might be the reason then.

Boss Doggie

Netto-kun said:
Am I the only one who didn't see Gatchaman in the character selection screen from Gamevideos?

Edit:

Hmm that might be the reason then.

But they aren't selling the game...

...unless Capcom has plans. :3

Blueblur1

I'm just now catching up with the vids. Wow, they bring back great memories. I really hope Capcom brings this over here.

And how can they not do it? They've been on the ball this gen.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Ookami-kun said:
On a related note:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=161898

GATCHAMAN THE MOVIE... and it's INTERNATIONAL, not just for JAPAN!

Snaku said:
Yeah, from Imagi, the studio that made the last Ninja Turtles film. :D

5ujlhz.png

TreIII

Zeenbor said:
Amazing last trailer... Is there any hope for a US release arcade or console?

You'd need only look to the likes of Hokuto no Ken (ASW/Sega) for the answer to that question.

If Sega couldn't get really do anything for a game starring ONE friggin IP, what's the hope for Capcom to do anything for a game that consists of several IPs owned by numerous different parties in the States?

Like most good fighters, this will probably be an import for your PS2 (maybe even Wii, if the rumor from 2ch holds up), and hopefully arcade retailers will do the same. Importing is pretty much the only way this game will have a presence in the West.

Ookami-kun said:
B-b-but Friender! D:

Hmmm...maybe he'll be introduced later on.

But what I'm most worried about? That artstyle. Casshern and his castmates now looks more like he was made to fit into something like Rockman Zero, rather than the original or OVA series. Casshern himself looks too "bishie" for my liking.

Ah well...I'll give it a shot, all the same.

as awesome as it looks they really need to add alot more characters. hopefully this is guaranteed a sequel and we get all the fan service we want.

Gagaman

robut said:
as awesome as it looks they really need to add alot more characters. hopefully this is guaranteed a sequel and we get all the fan service we want.
I'd imagine this is only an early build, as it's not due for arcade release until December. I reckon they will fill up that ring on the character select screen.

TreIII

GaussTek said:
Just curiosity... this game is using the Taito Type X2, right? (the same as SFIV?)

We don't know yet, exactly.

But a lot of signs are pointing to the notion that it may actually be still System 246/256 hardware being used (for the umpteenth time). The 4 button set-up, the lower quality graphics engine, and the fact that there's really nothing about the game that screams "HD" about the game seems to imbue that notion.

I mean, even Tekken 5 and Sengoku BASARA X were able to be displayed in Wide-screen/HD while they were in arcades, and they were both on 246/256 hardware.

Boss Doggie

Heck, judging by the screens showing the super moves (where the background is a blackhole-ish thing and the ground changes to some destroyed earth), you see plenty of pixels and jag.

Dali

TreIII said:
We don't know yet, exactly.

But a lot of signs are pointing to the notion that it may actually be still System 246/256 hardware being used (for the umpteenth time). The 4 button set-up, the lower quality graphics engine, and the fact that there's really nothing about the game that screams "HD" about the game seems to imbue that notion.
Aren't these "signs" also present in Maximum Impact 2 and the new 3D Samurai Showdown, both of which run on the Taito X2, as well?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I couldnt believe some of the shit ppl were pulling off at evo2k8. the wait was pretty long and im not into marble games or w/e so I didnt hop on but there was ridiculousness all around. the supers in the game are RAD.

One of my buddies was saying he saw a Ryu combo that was like, light, medium, firece, boot kick launcher off the wall (not 100% on this but you get the idea) into shin shoryuken. :lol

i sitll think the backgrounds need to be cleaned up or something... imo its not as clean looking as SF4 but looks like it plays great. it looks good dont get me wrong, just sayin.

i guess i was surprised it was a 4 button game. light, medium, firece attacks. another button that did something else, not sure what.

ill be having fun with this on a casual level, but competitive play looks scary already. :lol

TreIII

Dali said:
Aren't these "signs" also present in Maximum Impact 2 and the new 3D Samurai Showdown, both of which run on the Taito X2, as well?

True that. Got me there.

Of course, on the other hand...KOF:MI: Regulation A (the game you're thinking about) still ended up being a PS2 game, in the end. The only thing that was HD about the game was the fact that it was on the X2, everything else was still the same PS2-quality graphics engine as before. Porting it (back) to the PS2 later was easy enough for SNK.

Dali

TreIII said:
True that. Got me there.

Of course, on the other hand...KOF:MI: Regulation A (the game you're thinking about) still ended up being a PS2 game, in the end. The only thing that was HD about the game was the fact that it was on the X2, everything else was still the same PS2-quality graphics engine as before. Porting it (back) to the PS2 later was easy enough for SNK.
Oh yeah, I'm not denying that TvC could appear on the PS2. I'm only disputing the evidence that it was running on a 256 board.

snoopers

I am multitalented
Tenbatsu said:
It look stiff as the characters are low poly models(using last gen hardware PS2/Wii) compare to SF4. But in terms of art direction and style, SF4 cant match.

Wow people. WOW.

TreIII

snoopers said:
Wow people. WOW.

What? Is it that hard to imagine that people prefer the overall aesthetics of this game, even if the two games are in completely different tiers when it comes to the game engines used?

It's the same thing as people preferring the art style of Zero/Alpha, as compared to SF3's. Sure, SF3 kicks Zero's ass SQUARELY when it comes to technical capabilities and amount of frames of animation, but there's a lot to be said for the "charm" of the CPS2-quality sprites, which is why some people still love 'em to this day.

Same thing here, it looks like. TC is definitely using a less powerful game engine, but I actually prefer the aesthetics used here, as opposed to the ones in SF4. No need to get butt hurt over it...

Dali said:
Oh yeah, I'm not denying that TvC could appear on the PS2. I'm only disputing the evidence that it was running on a 256 board.

Agreed.

And any way, according to a source over at SRK (he knew a friend who went to EVO, and actually asked what was inside the cab, and got to see), the game IS indeed running on X2. Looks like Capcom was ready to move on from 246/256, after all... :lol

Again though, that doesn't really much thing else at the moment. We'll have to stay tuned.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
haunts said:
One of my buddies was saying he saw a Ryu combo that was like, light, medium, firece, boot kick launcher off the wall (not 100% on this but you get the idea) into shin shoryuken. :lol

That's just like this video from above, except that the video takes it to another level (near the end of the vid) :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7f9C_NWF_c

It's definitely the reincarnation of MvC(2) and I love it, since I really lived with the idea that Capcom had stopped completely with versus games with this type of gameplay...

But I agree, the graphics definitely look PS2-level, and while it's all about the gameplay, I really don't like blatantly-ugly games, especially when the ugly can already be seen in YouTube vids...

Dali

TreIII said:
Agreed.

And any way, according to a source over at SRK (he knew a friend who went to EVO, and actually asked what was inside the cab, and got to see), the game IS indeed running on X2. Looks like Capcom was ready to move on from 246/256, after all... :lol

Again though, that doesn't really much thing else at the moment. We'll have to stay tuned.
Cool. The only question remaining now is what console or consoles.

Skilotonn said:
That's just like this video from above, except that the video takes it to another level (near the end of the vid) :lol

It's definitely the reincarnation of MvC(2) and I love it, since I really lived with the idea that Capcom had stopped completely with versus games with this type of gameplay...

But I agree, the graphics definitely look PS2-level, and while it's all about the gameplay, I really don't like blatantly-ugly games, especially when the ugly can already be seen in YouTube vids...

The only time the "ugly" really smacks me in the face are the character close-ups when they do supers and even some those don't look too horribly bad. I'd still rather artwork flash across the screen since the models don't really hold up under such close scrutiny, but whatever.

snoopers

I am multitalented
TreIII said:
What? Is it that hard to imagine that people prefer the overall aesthetics of this game, even if the two games are in completely different tiers when it comes to the game engines used?

I have a hard time to imagine that one could say SFIV "can't match" the aesthetics of TvsC, yep.

TreIII

Dali said:
Cool. The only question remaining now is what console or consoles.

Good question, indeed. It would be NICE if Capcom pulled a similar number to what they did with MvC2 so many moons ago, and give us a Console port (no frill necessary) practically the SAME day as the Arcade version hit.

I got a PS2, Wii and PS3 (pretty much only got it because of T6 and KOFXII any way). TC's gotta hit at least ONE of those consoles (even though I STILL doubt PS3, if only on the principle that Capcom could just as easily put it on PS2 and capture a larger audience, including the casuals who will play it just for the fanservice love-fest).

But any way...to quote Cable from MvC2: "I'm ready!" *twirls pistol* :lol

The only time the "ugly" really smacks me in the face are the character close-ups when they do supers and even some those don't look too horribly bad. I'd still rather artwork flash across the screen since the models don't really hold up under such close scrutiny, but whatever.

To me, the models are basically in the same league as the Naruto: Narutimett Hero/Accel series models. Which are basically lower-quality models that happen to look nice because of the nice cel-shading tech that CC2 applied to them, as well as the other over-the-top effects included in-game. Not unlike what Capcom seems to be doing with this game, overall.

So, yeah, it definitely is not pushing the Taito X2 to its limits, but who really cares? It does well enough in what it sets out to do, and that's good enough for me.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Skilotonn said:

Oh yeah, so it was that kind of shit all day... chun li had the same sort of ridiculousness going on.. sure there are plenty of vids out there by now so w/e...the main reason i didnt hop on either..you see ppl get on who didnt know what is what and they were off the machine in like under a minute so I didnt even mess with it.. id rather wait 20 min for some SF4...

To me the game looked like it could look real sharp but like the aspect ratio on the monitor was off or something..? not sure.. It didnt look as HD as SF4 though..

Top Bottom