• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom, new arcade fighter. (Viewtiful Joe in 'da house!)

TreIII

Regulus Tera said:
To stop importers. That way they have to wait until the game gets localised and the sales numbers don't get skewed towards one region or another.

It's not so much that (because, really, import sales of games are largely negligible at best, and just count as sales from other Regions like Hong Kong), so much that they just want to do more to cover their own ass, legally.

When they state in the opening of the games how "This game is meant to be played in [insert region/country here] only"? They mean what they say. If you choose to import, you're basically operating outside of your "legal jurisdiction" (so to speak), and therefore, you're on your own. Anything good or bad that may happen will then simply be on you.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Posted this on SRK too...

In my quest to start testing PS1/PS2 to GCN converters... I need to know, are there any GameCube games or Wii Games (With GCN Controller support) that display frame counts OR key input display (when you hit a button, it'll show what you hit)... ?

Also, does anyone know if Guilty Gear Accent Core on Wii supports GCN controllers?

WORD, let me know... I wanna find some good options to go with BEFORE Tatsunoko vs Capcom comes out! I have like 10 PS2 to GCN converters and I haven't done testing at all yet.

Sorry, I'm really late to the party here, but has anything substantial come up about this game turning into Marvel vs. Capcom 3 for a North America release? Or any concrete news at all concerning a North America release? I didn't wanna wade through 60 pages....

Ookami-kun said:
Uh, there are no plans like that.

Uhm...

“I am personally very excited for Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, even to the point where I begged R+D to let us play it at EVO last year, if only for a few days. It’s not up to either of us but I will make sure Capcom knows this game would have a warm reception in the West should we be able to defeat that evil-est of Robot Masters: Legal Licensing Issue Man.” - Seth Killian, Capcom Sr. Manager, Community

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=4860

“The issue is that there are multiple potential outcomes… it’s not as simple as ‘yes it’s coming’ or ‘no, it’s not’. And we have a few other issues to contend with that I’m not able to get into details on that are coloring what direction we are able take with the franchise in the West. Again, we’re deeply in ’stay tuned’ territory but I don’t expect to have any solid news to share openly, one way or the other for a couple months.” - Christian Svensson, Corporate Officer/VP of Strategic Planning & Business Development

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=4860

I was just wondering if anything else had come up like these statements.

So I went to the thing at Sofmap yesterday along with thetrin. I got there extra early and just wandered around denden coming back every so often to play a match. Got a about 10 or so matches in and had a blast watching other people play.

The version they had only had up until the Jun/Roll addition so I didn't get to try Joe or anyone else who has been recently added.

I did try Jun though who was pretty fun. Her yo-yo is pretty interesting and she even uses it to swing towards opponents sometimes. Seemed like some of her moves were meant to be done off the yo-yo swing for maximum range and effectiveness but I wasn't too sure.

I also tried out the PTX mech. I lost but it was a blast. I even got the Chainsaw super on the guy which was totally worth it.

I also tried Voltnutt again since TGS and I think I finally got the hang of him. He is pretty damn awesome and his Machine gun special is really useful. I finally figured out how to charge his damn beam this time too. haha.

Oh yeah and Tekkman is fucking awesome to play as. His grapple hook thing really makes him interesting. I used to love Scorpion in MK and I will probably love Tekkaman just for this reason.

Only other thing of note was a Gold Lightan vs Gold Lightan battle I saw. Now that was fucking hilarious to watch. That and seeing some guy who was on a huge streak get owned by a lightan guy that just kept stomping on him. :D

TreIII

autobzooty said:
I was just wondering if anything else had come up like these statements.

OK...

First of all, it's really more realistic to just abandon hope about a NA release, and just join the import bandwagon. Don't get your hopes waiting for something that's like 99.9% not likely to occur, because licensing difficulties pretty much effectively put this game in the same avenue as the likes of the Shonen Jump Stars games on the DS and every non-OG Super Robot Wars.

Now, on your other question?

While it may be POSSIBLE to see the TvC engine used in another facet (such as a 3rd Marvel game) "some time soon"...don't expect that time frame to be quick in coming.

For right now, Capcom has enough on its plate, marketing SF4, Fate: Unlimited Codes, Gundam vs. Gundam (and its upcoming upgrade) and TvC, four major arcade-style game releases, all within a relatively short span of time. And you can bet that any future sequels/updates to those games are going to be higher priorities for R&D, as opposed to what will effectively be a "new project" in a MvC3.

So, in any case, I wouldn't expect to hear any whispers of such a thing until at least next summer, at the earliest.

In other words, let's have TvC be a resounding success for Capcom in its homeland FIRST, and then we can start thinking about the future for this "brand".

EDIT: And also, thanks Budokai, for your impressions....2 more weeks, basically...!

Netto-kun

BudokaiMR2 said:
So I went to the thing at Sofmap yesterday along with thetrin.
Oh oh, did you happen to see whether the limited edition calendar was for sale or not? I took a trip to the local Geo store, but didn't see any at all. And since the closest Softmap store is located in Akihabara, I am sort of lazy to travel all the way there just to get my hands on the calendar.:lol

amodf

Cerebral Assassin said:
Soul Calibur 2 did in Practice mode( I think) Why no love for the classic controller its gotta be better than the GCN pad

wireless controllers no doubt introduce some kind of input lag just by being wireless; if gamecube adapters work, then you decrease that frame lag to only ~1 frame instead of ~whatever you'd get from wireless. Most people won't care but it matters if you want to play this game seriously.

Ookami-kun said:
I was referring to this game becoming Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Ah. It's probably just wishful thinking because someone at Capcom hinted at MvC3 at Comic Con a while ago and I'm frothing at the mouth for it since my PS2 stopped reading the MvC2 game disc for no reason.

I guess instead it would be better to cling to the rumors of MvC2 coming out on PSN and XBLA with an online mode. But even still, lol at my bleary eyed, fanboy naivety.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
BudokaiMR2 said:
So I went to the thing at Sofmap yesterday along with thetrin. I got there extra early and just wandered around denden coming back every so often to play a match. Got a about 10 or so matches in and had a blast watching other people play.

The version they had only had up until the Jun/Roll addition so I didn't get to try Joe or anyone else who has been recently added.

I did try Jun though who was pretty fun. Her yo-yo is pretty interesting and she even uses it to swing towards opponents sometimes. Seemed like some of her moves were meant to be done off the yo-yo swing for maximum range and effectiveness but I wasn't too sure.

I also tried out the PTX mech. I lost but it was a blast. I even got the Chainsaw super on the guy which was totally worth it.

I also tried Voltnutt again since TGS and I think I finally got the hang of him. He is pretty damn awesome and his Machine gun special is really useful. I finally figured out how to charge his damn beam this time too. haha.

Oh yeah and Tekkman is fucking awesome to play as. His grapple hook thing really makes him interesting. I used to love Scorpion in MK and I will probably love Tekkaman just for this reason.

Only other thing of note was a Gold Lightan vs Gold Lightan battle I saw. Now that was fucking hilarious to watch. That and seeing some guy who was on a huge streak get owned by a lightan guy that just kept stomping on him. :D

You missed the part where I ruled the roost for 20 minutes (after that one guy rocked my butt 10 ways 'til sundown...)

TreIII

Tenbatsu said:
Yes we are almost there! 14 more days to go!

Yes. YES.

Soon, the day of reckoning shall be here, at last. It's been a fun and long ride, but I've been jones-ing for this game to be in my hands for the longest, it seems.

ReiGun

Awww, I wanted to see him fight PTX. Poor Morrigan and Chun stood no chance against the awesome GOLD LIGHTAN!!

The release date is so close. I cant wait to get my new can of pringles.:D

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ReiGun said:
Awww, I wanted to see him fight PTX. Poor Morrigan and Chun stood no chance against the awesome GOLD LIGHTAN!!

The release date is so close. I cant wait to get my new can of pringles.:D

There are a bunch of vids with him versus PTX

Shouta

thetrin said:
You missed the part where I ruled the roost for 20 minutes (after that one guy rocked my butt 10 ways 'til sundown...)

I really need to come down that way just so we can play some TvC. :lol

thetrin said:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't that long considering your crap sense of direction got you there just 20 minutes before the test was over ;p

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Baroque Lightan is not to be fucked with. All that needs to be said. He seems like he is going to be awesome, until he runs up against Mega Man. That seems like the Giant characters bad match-up atm.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Or Saki.

Also, please forgive me if I would release some frustration. I've just encountered some retarded comments on some forums (no, not this) regarding the game.

It's bad enough that I remembered the X-Box forum that was originally praising this game until the Wii-exclusivity, showing their desperation on believing that the game runs in Taito X2, but I snapped when I was visiting a Capcom forum after checking the replies on posting that youtube link. Guess what the response was...

"hey capcom in the localization change lightan into blodia"

While he did mention Blodia, which is a good thing, what irks me is that those who wanted localization are opting to pretty much change the characters! GOLD LIGHTAN OF ALL THE PEOPLE! While at first I ignored this, I checked the forums specific to TvC on a certain gaming aid site.

Whoa - a poster WANTING that this game would sell less just to prove that "Capcom did wrong for ignoring American gamers". Seriously?! Said poster is also blaming Tatsunoko - "It's Tatsunoko's fault that this game won't be coming here!"

You know what - I am not sure which I am angry with - their opinions or their liquified brains.

Threi

notag
Too much exposure to the internet does that.

Semi-nerds + anonymity + full raging fanboy nerds = explosion of stupid.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
BudokaiMR2 said:
I'm pretty sure it wasn't that long considering your crap sense of direction got you there just 20 minutes before the test was over ;p

At least 15 minutes~!

I have a fine sense of direction. I just had no interest in getting to the test as early as you did. :p

Oldschoolgamer said:
Baroque Lightan is not to be fucked with. All that needs to be said. He seems like he is going to be awesome, until he runs up against Mega Man. That seems like the Giant characters bad match-up atm.

Mega Man is a lot more fun to fight against if you're small. If you're big, he's a fucking BITCH.

GhostSeed

Netto-kun said:
Wtf @ Morrigan's mini game?!:lol

:lol

28lb679.jpg

thetrin

Who cares what Famitsu gives it? It's not like their reviews are respectable.

Boss Doggie

True.

But well, it's more in the line of "other publications can't review it". Though I wouldn't mind seeing Dengeki's review as well.

TreIII

thetrin said:
Who cares what Famitsu gives it?

While we won't, mindless sheep would. So a good score would be all the difference between such people buying the game and passing it over (for what, I couldn't tell ya, as the Wii's line-up over the next 2-3 weeks isn't THAT impressive, no matter where you live :lol).

In any case, I, for one, ain't worried. The amount of largely positive coverage and opinions about the game thus far, gives me rise that the game will do well enough for Famitsu's sake.

As far as "professional" reviews are concerned though, I'd be more interested in some one from Arcadia would have to say, rather than Famitsu. At least they actually would have more to contribute to how well the final product stacks up, as an arcade game, than certainly Fami would.

2DMention

Banned
What a weird system to make this for. There's .1% chance of it coming to the U.S. with the tatsunoko characters arent well known in the U.S.

And with all the updates Wii gets, a swap disc is embargoed.

Only chance to play this is to buy an import Wii.

Link

The Autumn Wind
2DMention said:
What a weird system to make this for. There's .1% chance of it coming to the U.S. with the tatsunoko characters arent well known in the U.S.

Uhh, that's probably exactly why they made it for Wii. Have you seen HD console sales in Japan?

Boss Doggie

Besides, the current Twilight Hack lets you use it in 3.4. You can simply install GeckoOS/HBC and turn off your WiiConnect.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
2DMention said:

I'll be playing this and I ain't got no import machine, nor hardware modded.
FFS it's been said like one hundred times just in this very thread: homebrew channel+gecko.

Top Bottom