• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom, new arcade fighter. (Viewtiful Joe in 'da house!)

MrBeggar

The-Switcher said:
Yeah, my man!

Yeah, that's definately Shinkiro's art.
You should see him pencil in person past midnite ...:D

n794095293_1911838_5768.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
TreIII said:
I'm actually with Iggy (MMCafe) on this one.

Chances are, the actual action on screen will be zoomed out so far, the action so fast paced, and the supers/special effects being the main attraction above anything else, you won't even be able to see how good/bad the animation actual is.

Y'know, just like it was MAHVEL. :lol

Well, we've already seen the size of Ryu's hadouken, so that's pretty likely.

Perdew

TreIII said:
I'm actually with Iggy (MMCafe) on this one.

Chances are, the actual action on screen will be zoomed out so far, the action so fast paced, and the supers/special effects being the main attraction above anything else, you won't even be able to see how good/bad the animation actual is.

Y'know, just like it was MAHVEL. :lol

Hopefully! Chunner's face in the newest pic just bothers the hell out of me though. So blaaaaand.

still, I want an announcement on the Capcom side of things. WHICH ROCKMAN WILL WE GET? (Caskett/Roll Caskett is still my no.1 choice, and I want Blues. So greedy). I also want a port of the game asap before it becomes irrelevant next to SFIV, KoFXII, BB, etc. etc.

TreIII

Perdew said:
still, I want an announcement on the Capcom side of things. WHICH ROCKMAN WILL WE GET? (Caskett/Roll Caskett is still my no.1 choice, and I want Blues. So greedy).

Again, as far as Rockmen, my personal order of likelihood goes as
1) Original
2) DASH
3) ZERO (RMZ style, more than likely)
4) EXE
5) ZX
6) Ryuusei/StarForce

I also want a port of the game asap before it becomes irrelevant next to SFIV, KoFXII, BB, etc. etc.

Knowing Capcom, this game will probably be rushed out for that Winter 2008 ideal release, and then get a port soon afterward.

But I wouldn't be but so worried about it being "irrelevant".

Despite the fact that SF3: 3S both looked prettier and was on more advanced hardware, that didn't stop Zero/Alpha 3 and Marvel vs. Capcom from selling well, to the point that both games over-shaded 3S by a hefty margin in both Japan and US.

I could see likewise happening here. The brand-names being involved will definitely draw people to this product, as well as the "OMG! LOOK AT DAT SHIT RYU'S DOING!" factor.

All that's needed to insure TvC's inevitable success...is what arcade board is it on. If it's on 256, Naomi or something to that effect...that will insure that it will be a cheap buy for many arcade developers, and it will insure that the game will get wide distribution, much like MAHVEL games before it.

If it's on TX2, then things may be a bit more interesting...though I still bet that brand name recognition would definitely go a long way to attracting possible new customers, even if the graphics look POSITIVELY shoddy next to the likes of SF4, BB and KOFXII.

Perdew

TreIII said:
Again, as far as Rockmen, my personal order of likelihood goes as
1) Original
2) DASH
3) ZERO (RMZ style, more than likely)
4) EXE
5) ZX
6) Ryuusei/StarForce

Glad I never even touched Star Force.

Knowing Capcom, this game will probably be rushed out for that Winter 2008 ideal release, and then get a port soon afterward.

But I wouldn't be but so worried about it being "irrelevant".

Despite the fact that SF3: 3S both looked prettier and was on more advanced hardware, that didn't stop Zero/Alpha 3 and Marvel vs. Capcom from selling well, to the point that both games over-shaded 3S by a hefty margin in both Japan and US.

I could see likewise happening here. The brand-names being involved will definitely draw people to this product, as well as the "OMG! LOOK AT DAT SHIT RYU'S DOING!" factor.

All that's needed to insure TvC's inevitable success...is what arcade board is it on. If it's on 256, Naomi or something to that effect...that will insure that it will be a cheap buy for many arcade developers, and it will insure that the game will get wide distribution, much like MAHVEL games before it.

If it's on TX2, then things may be a bit more interesting...though I still bet that brand name recognition would definitely go a long way to attracting possible new customers, even if the graphics look POSITIVELY shoddy next to the likes of SF4, BB and KOFXII.

I wouldn't assume this is a guaranteed success. The license may be great, but if the game itself sucks, it could flop. Fighting Jam is a good example, in my mind, and even the cancelled 'Capcom All Stars' before it.

TreIII

Perdew said:
Glad I never even touched Star Force.

Hey, if it's your thing, go right ahead.

I just hate SF's guts. :lol

I wouldn't assume this is a guaranteed success. The license may be great, but if the game itself sucks, it could flop. Fighting Jam is a good example, in my mind, and even the cancelled 'Capcom All Stars' before it.

Well, I suppose there's always the possibility that it could fail. That's why, like Ryan, I'm interested in seeing who Capcom gave their blessing to for this game. Depending on who got the honors, my personal hype meter would rise or fall with that announcement.

For example, I believe that 8ing (Bloody Roar, Naruto GC games, Fate Unlimited Codes on the 256), Craft & Meister (Super DBZ, made up of a number of ex Capcom FG personnel) and Arika (headed by the guy who gave us Street Fighter in the first place), would probably do a fine job with a title like this. Or at least, if they don't re-invent the wheel, they don't mess it up.

Cavia and K2 would make me a bit more nervous. K2 was responsible for that new 3D Samurai Spirits game in Japan that we can pretty much safely conclude has tanked, and Cavia's personal quality, to me, at least, is all over the place.

Whomever gets it, they better not screw it up. MvC2 was the game that SOLD me a Dreamcast, so needless to say I took interest in this one when I heard about it.

Based on the stage, I'm thinking Mega Man Trigger/Volnutt is likely. (Another Legends tease - sigh)

I want Classic with Rush though.

Also, like others are saying - this is the artstyle SFIV should have used.

Perdew

TreIII said:
Well, I suppose there's always the possibility that it could fail. That's why, like Ryan, I'm interested in seeing who Capcom gave their blessing to for this game. Depending on who got the honors, my personal hype meter would rise or fall with that announcement.

For example, I believe that 8ing (Bloody Roar, Naruto GC games, Fate Unlimited Codes on the 256), Craft & Meister (Super DBZ, made up of a number of ex Capcom FG personnel) and Arika (headed by the guy who gave us Street Fighter in the first place), would probably do a fine job with a title like this. Or at least, if they don't re-invent the wheel, they don't mess it up.

Cavia and K2 would make me a bit more nervous. K2 was responsible for that new 3D Samurai Spirits game in Japan that we can pretty much safely conclude has tanked, and Cavia's personal quality, to me, at least, is all over the place.

Whomever gets it, they better not screw it up. MvC2 was the game that SOLD me a Dreamcast, so needless to say I took interest in this one when I heard about it.

K2 would make me very nervous after seeing SSS, and Cavia always leaves a terrible, awful taste in my mouth. I wouldn't trust them at all. 8ing would make me feel allright, though, especially with Capcom's supervision. Arika and Craft & Meister I'm not so sure about, since I haven't played (knowingly) any of their newer games (I'd still equate Arika with the EX series).

Tenbatsu

Freedom = $1.05 said:
The fighters look too detailed to be last gen but the backgrounds look too plain to be current gen. This is a bit confusing.
Due to the low-poly backgrounds, it allows the characters poly count to push up which in turn conclude that this game is using last gen hardware as they have to find ways to cut corners. You dont need to do that with next-gen hardware.

Perdew

Tenbatsu said:
Due to the low-poly backgrounds, it allows the characters poly count to push up which in turn conclude that this game is using last gen hardware as they have to find ways to cut corners. You dont need to do that with next-gen hardware.

My bets on the Basara hardware.

My DREAM is that it's on Naomi and I can import for my Dreamcast and play on my lovely stick <3

TreIII

System 256 is indeed possible...especially if it turned out that either 8ing or Craft & Meister are behind this. They both do have experience with the 256/PS2 hardware, and thus I wouldn't put it past them to do something like this, if they were involved.

...Of course...if it happened to be K2...it may actually be X2. It would be rather unimpressive usage of the K2 (much like with SS SEN/Edge of Destiny, which looked to be on the same graphical level as KOFMI:2/Reg A), but it would still be X2 all the same... :lol

RyanDG

TreIII said:
...Of course...if it happened to be K2...it may actually be X2. It would be rather unimpressive usage of the K2 (much like with SS SEN/Edge of Destiny, which looked to be on the same graphical level as KOFMI:2/Reg A), but it would still be X2 all the same... :lol

This isn't surprising considering that Regulation A was also on the Type X2 (it was SNK Playmore's first forray with it). I'm actually surprised they didn't put Ultimate Match on it as well, but I guess they decided that they couldn't really push their luck with three games that really drastically underperformed the system they were released on...

RyanDG

Hero said:
Is there even a remote chance of this being released outside of Japan with all the licenses involved?

I mentioned this on another forum I go to, but yes, there is a chance. It will be difficult, but it is possible. Especially if they keep in mind the western licensing concerns when determining the final roster...

Perdew

Himuro said:
This looks like SHIT to you?

tatsu02.jpg

Look at the expression on Chun Li's face there, mid move. Look at the right angle on her crotch. Look at the quality of the backgrounds. It's definitely not a stretch to say it looks like shit.

I'm reserving final judging until I at least see videos, and I'm going to buy it win, lose, or draw, but there's no need to play defense force on these graphics at the moment.

TreIII

RyanDG said:
This isn't surprising considering that Regulation A was also on the Type X2 (it was SNK Playmore's first forray with it). I'm actually surprised they didn't put Ultimate Match on it as well, but I guess they decided that they couldn't really push their luck with three games that really drastically underperformed the system they were released on...

But let's be real here...

Reg A, for better or for worse, was meant to be a quick and easy port of MI2 to the arcade, with some fixes and a few new characters. It was what it was, and you either had to like MI already or not.

But SEN? That thing was supposed to be designed from the ground up on that hardware, and yet it looked like something that could have been made from the same stock as MI. I ended up being disappointed in SEN for that reason alone, but was hoping the gameplay would be something worth mentioning...then it couldn't even get that! :lol

...So...any way, my point is to say that...if it turned out that K2 was behind this game, and this game was on the X2...it would probably make sense why this game would look rather lackluster in comparison to other X2 games.

But I'm starting to doubt that seriously...what reason would K2 have to make a game like this, when they've been making Samurai Spirts and Tenchu games all their lives? Nothing in their backlog would suggest that they would have what it takes to make a MAHVEL type of game. It just doesn't seem their speed.

8ing, ARIKA and C&M, though? Now those would be guys that I think would have the experience to do such a thing, and could probably make even the 256 dance well enough to render such a game like we see now.

jarrod

Banned
Tenbatsu said:
Due to the low-poly backgrounds, it allows the characters poly count to push up
Don't let the excellent visual design fool you, the characters are pretty low poly themselves. The more I see of this game, the more I think it's on System 256.

Makes me think we'll see a PS2 and maybe a Wii port.... which might fit Capcom's schedule well, if SF4's only headed to 360/PC/PS3 initially as rumored...

TreIII

jarrod said:
Don't let the excellent visual design fool you, the characters are pretty low poly themselves. The more I see of this game, the more I think it's on System 256.

Makes me think we'll see a PS2 and maybe a Wii port.... which might fit Capcom's schedule well, if SF4's only headed to 360/PC/PS3 initially as rumored...

Wouldn't bother me in the least. In the end, I would rather have a PS2/Wii game that does the damn thing in its own lane, rather than get a lazy, down-scaled, obviously inferior hand-me-down from the PS3/360.

Besides, like I believe some one said earlier, this type of game, with its flashy gameplay and Tatsunoko/Capcom All Starts connection, would be just the type of thing that the Wii audience may end up loving and appreciating more.

They can even go ahead and offer "EO" type of things for those who want their motion controls...I got my Classic Controller, and soon will have either that Neo Geo Stick or the ASCII thing for Wii. I'll be alright.

jarrod

Banned
TreIII said:
Wouldn't bother me in the least. In the end, I would rather have a PS2/Wii game that does the damn thing in its own lane, rather than get a lazy, down-scaled, obviously inferior hand-me-down from the PS3/360.

Besides, like I believe some one said earlier, this type of game, with its flashy gameplay and Tatsunoko/Capcom All Starts connection, would be just the type of thing that the Wii audience may end up loving and appreciating more.

They can even go ahead and offer "EO" type of things for those who want their motion controls...I got my Classic Controller, and soon will have either that Neo Geo Stick or the ASCII thing for Wii. I'll be alright.
Totally. Basara Cross bizarrely skipping Wii gives me a little pause, but that likely had more to do with Heroes tanking. TVC likely has way more appeal with the "all ages" and "retro nostalgia" crowds that Wii attracts.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I thing I hope is in this game is facial expressions. They helped in Brawl and they look to be a good addition to SF IV if some of the horrible models go away

TreIII

jarrod said:
Totally. Basara Cross bizarrely skipping Wii gives me a little pause, but that likely had more to do with Heroes tanking. TVC likely has way more appeal with the "all ages" and "retro nostalgia" crowds that Wii attracts.

Actually, if I remember correctly, Capcom said that they were overall "pleased" with HEROES sales. And I guess they might as well, since a) they had the nerve to release the game with a more readily available PS2 port available plus b) Wii is BASARA's future destiny at some point, so they at least made sure that BASARA made one appearance on the system as of now (and I wouldn't be surprised if B3 does so eventually).

But any way...yeah, a Wii port of Tatsunoko would be on point.

MoxManiac

TreIII said:

I just want to be able to play the damn game. If it's PS3, I can import it. If it isn't, i'm fucked.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Himuro said:
This looks like SHIT to you?

Some shots look awesome. Some look crappy. It depends on the one you see. The collection of first Famitsu shots looked fantastic. That newest one is not very flattering.

Tenbatsu

Zaptruder said:
Goddammit Capcom.

Fire SF4 art director now. And replace him with Shinkiro. No. No arguing. Just do it. Now.
THIS is exactly the problem with SF4, wrong Art Director. Case closed.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Guys, it was just announced. Like most games, the more dev time it gets, the better it will look (I was always a fan of the SF IV look, but the game now looks easily twice as good visually)

The way this game looks now, its a strong foundation to add more detail later, they probably just want the game to run fast and smooth now, and add detail as they go. On fighters ... good ones at least, its always about how the game plays first, looks later (and the vs. games have all moved pretty fast, sop that backs up my opinion)

TreIII

http://www.capcom.co.jp/tatsucap/

So...it indeed did update on the 30th, like they promised.

There's not much in the way of newness, though. It's just a thing where you can flip pages of a sort of mini manga, and see things that way.

Also, STILL no confirmation on the Arcade board being used. Though...with the fact that they clearly advertise "Fate: Unlimited Codes" (8ing/Cavia is doing it for Capcom), and that game is a 246/256 title...I would think that would do more to give an idea that these two games are peas in a pod, and probably occupy the same hardware architecture.

But, we shall see...

Perdew

TreIII said:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/tatsucap/

So...it indeed did update on the 30th, like they promised.

There's not much in the way of newness, though. It's just a thing where you can flip pages of a sort of mini manga, and see things that way.

Also, STILL no confirmation on the Arcade board being used. Though...with the fact that they clearly advertise "Fate: Unlimited Codes" (8ing/Cavia is doing it for Capcom), and that game is a 246/256 title...I would think that would do more to give an idea that these two games are peas in a pod, and probably occupy the same hardware architecture.

But, we shall see...

Thanks for pointing this out! That ad at the end does seem to be pretty telling, too. Hmmmm...

Dascu

TreIII said:
Actually, if I remember correctly, Capcom said that they were overall "pleased" with HEROES sales. And I guess they might as well, since a) they had the nerve to release the game with a more readily available PS2 port available plus b) Wii is BASARA's future destiny at some point, so they at least made sure that BASARA made one appearance on the system as of now (and I wouldn't be surprised if B3 does so eventually).

But any way...yeah, a Wii port of Tatsunoko would be on point.

Actually, I think it might be confirmed already:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214030
CubeRevolution said:
Wii-Games:
Bionics
Devil Kings 3
Mega Man Scramble Battle
Moto GP 08
We Love Golf
Zack & Wiki 2
I was surprised it said Devil Kings 3. AFAIK, the 2nd one hadn't been released in Europe yet, at that time (has it now?). Either it was a typo, or it was a really early confirmation that Devil Kings 3 will be showing up on the Wii.

Of course, that list itself isn't confirmed yet (it's more or less confirmed that Bionic Games is working on a Wii game for Capcom though). Maybe we'll find out more at the Captivate event (that is going on right now?).

Dascu

hiryu said:
LOL, at the people saying this looks better than SFIV.
Ryu looks waaaaaaaay better here than he does in SFIV. The style is a lot closer to the traditional 2D sprites.

I'm certainly interested in seeing how this turns out (it will improve visually)... but to say this looks better than Street Fighter 4 right now is silly.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Dascu said:
Ryu looks waaaaaaaay better here than he does in SFIV. The style is a lot closer to the traditional 2D sprites.

That doesn't mean that in SF IV he doesn't look better :p

I like how they both look, although I hope they do add more detail to this game, it looks fine, but basic.

Perdew

Raging Spaniard said:
That doesn't mean that in SF IV he doesn't look better :p

I like how they both look, although I hope they do add more detail to this game, it looks fine, but basic.

I've learned that arguing graphics between this and SFIV is like arguing semantics. Everyone is right, and everyone is wrong. Let's see which one makes it to EVO first.

TreIII

Dascu said:
I was surprised it said Devil Kings 3. AFAIK, the 2nd one hadn't been released in Europe yet, at that time (has it now?). Either it was a typo, or it was a really early confirmation that Devil Kings 3 will be showing up on the Wii.

Of course, that list itself isn't confirmed yet (it's more or less confirmed that Bionic Games is working on a Wii game for Capcom though). Maybe we'll find out more at the Captivate event (that is going on right now?).

Neither SB2, or its expansion have made it outside Japan. There doesn't seem to be an interest in trying SBX, either.

So, my overall assumption is, if this list is right, then it could be a thing like it was before...Capcom filed for the rights just in case they get moved enough to release the game over here, but quite possibly won't.

Then again, if Monster Hunter 3 may have a shot of giving that series' a nice shot in the arm, maybe BASARA 3 may stand to do likewise. Though I would hope they would dispense with the "Devil Kings" angle and just stick with doing a more straight translation of the source material...

Perdew said:
I've learned that arguing graphics between this and SFIV is like arguing semantics. Everyone is right, and everyone is wrong. Let's see which one makes it to EVO first.

To me, it's not really about graphics. It's the artstyle and other aesthetics.

If there was any doubt that SF4 was an American/Western-oriented affair before the game was unveiled, I would think that after the unveiling, where we saw Ryu and Ken were practically Atlas-like figures that could just as easily fit inside of an American comic-book, would void that out.

Meanwhile, TatsuCap is much more Japanese oriented, specifically more in the style of the 60-80s anime which Tatsunoko made a household name in Japan. The designs are meant to be more simplistic, yet still imbue a good deal of "character" in themselves.

So...in the end, it comes down to personal preference. I prefer TatsuCap in this case, because I like the artstyle a lot better, as opposed to SF4's.

How the games will play will be left up to determined later. If either one of these titles are worthy of being inducted into EVO and SBO, they'll get their on the merits regarding how the two stack up in the gameplay area.

Perdew

TreIII said:
To me, it's not really about graphics. It's the artstyle and other aesthetics.

If there was any doubt that SF4 was an American/Western-oriented affair before the game was unveiled, I would think that after the unveiling, where we saw Ryu and Ken were practically Atlas-like figures that could just as easily fit inside of an American comic-book, would void that out.

Meanwhile, TatsuCap is much more Japanese oriented, specifically more in the style of the 60-80s anime which Tatsunoko made a household name in Japan. The designs are meant to be more simplistic, yet still imbue a good deal of "character" in themselves.

So...in the end, it comes down to personal preference. I prefer TatsuCap in this case, because I like the artstyle a lot better, as opposed to SF4's.

How the games will play will be left up to determined later. If either one of these titles are worthy of being inducted into EVO and SBO, they'll get their on the merits regarding how the two stack up in the gameplay area.

I love the style here, but I hate the execution. I'm fine with blaming the (unkown) hardware, but I can't shrug the feeling like it'll seem like a cancelled Dreamcast game graphics wise. When we're seeing games where developers are pouring their souls into them (KoFXII mainly, I'm sure Blaz Blue is getting as much love as ASW is capable of, and even SFIV has been intense in terms of player feedback changing models/balance issues), I'd like to see good old Capcom of Japan well... give a shit, rather than cash in (honestly, I'm not sure where this lies yet)

I'd love to get my hands on this and try it out, though, I just don't want it to get lost in the shuffle (the way I feel Basara X did)

jj984jj said:
This looks great, but the chances of it coming here are next to none. :(

Capcom most likely did some legal research before starting the game, it's possible they have most or all of the license mess sorted out. And I don't think they'd let a new Vs game miss the US market just because a few characters will be less recognizable. And some of the classics will still work here, like Gatchaman.

plovie

hiryu said:
LOL, at the people saying this looks better than SFIV.

I think the character designs are much much better than SFIV's. Technically, it doesn't look as advanced, but I don't think that's terribly important if it's going for a simpler art style.

ElFly

SF4 may be technically superior: better textures, more geometry.

But this game sports superior character design.

Top Bottom