• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom, new arcade fighter. (Viewtiful Joe in 'da house!)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
vsmk9.jpg

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Are those scans?

Delete them before you get banned, now.

EDIT: Ah, so they're from the instruction booklet? Don't know what the policy about that is.

Olaeh

ezekial45 said:
Thats it?

They're leaving it open for TvC2 to throw in more characters... Didn't want to blow their load completely just yet, they've done a lot already going through with the game.

farnham

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Are those scans?

Delete them before you get banned, now.

EDIT: Ah, so they're from the instruction booklet? Don't know what the policy about that is.
i believe that scans of booklets are okay

we often laugh over the pikmin in the wii jokes

and those are scans of the wii instruction booklet

Boss Doggie

Man I am loving Yatterwan's siren and howl.

WARUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

And I can't hear the mecha food mini-mecha's chanting... that's usually the mini-mecha's name.

Haunted

Okay, if they include Amaterasu.... holy shitfuck.

I'm still on the fence about this because I only know very few of the Tatsunoko characters... (Casshern, Karas) but the Capcom lineup alone is amazing enough already.

ReiGun

Nice new vids. Looks like Morrigan and Chun wanted to redeem themselves after that severe beatdown from last week.:lol I still wish they included Yatterman No. 2.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I can't believe you guys are rooting for multiple Okami representatives when stuff like Power Stone, Ghouls & Ghosts, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Final Fight, and Strider don't even have one rep yet.

Boss Doggie

ShockingAlberto said:
I'm a little on the fence about the music, honestly.

It's not the battle music though.

The mecha fight demo bgm is the score tally theme whereas the regular character fight demo bgm is the character select theme.

TreIII

Ookami-kun said:
So what's their reason on why it's 32/40?

Whatever their specific reasons may be, that's actually QUITE good, especially for a Fighting Game.

To put it in perspective, here's how Famitsu rated some other fighting games, relatively recently:

GGXX Accent Core (PS2): 30
SFZ3: Double Upper (PSP): 32
Soul Calibur 4 (360/PS3): 35
King of Fighters MI Reg A (PS2): 29
KOF XI (PS2): 28
Sengoku BASARA X (PS2): 28

- Source: http://fs.finalfantasytr.com/

So, as you can see, Famitsu likes to grade Fighting games quite harshly. To this day, I think only one FG's gotten a perfect score outta 'em, and that's Soul Calibur on the DC.

Of course, this is, again, only if you value Famitsu's input that highly in matters like this...

Shig said:
I can't believe you guys are rooting for multiple Okami representatives when stuff like Power Stone, Ghouls & Ghosts, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Final Fight, and Strider don't even have one rep yet.

Well, to be fair, Yami's interjection would do a lot to make a claim for at least Ammy herself. And it's not like Yami's playable himself (to our knowledge), so it only counts but so much.

And to further play devil's advocate, obviously, those types of characters could be saved for sequels (because you KNOW they'll probably have a sequel for this game soon enough). Both Tatsunoko and Capcom alike have plenty of characters that could have been in, and yet missed the party this time around, but for the most part, I think they did well, thus far.

All I need is Go and Ammy, and that would about do it for me, personally.

TreIII

Ookami-kun said:
How did SF4 scored btw?

Street Fighter 4's console port isn't out til early next year (2/12, I believe).

Therefore, there's nothing that Famitsu can say until a week before the game's release, when they'll give their review.

Ookami-kun said:
So any info on what the Famitsu review is saying?

1up has an article on this :

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171619
Anime freak? Capcom freak? Or just a freak in general? (Hopefully not the non-bathing sort.) Either way, there's a decent chance you're looking forward to Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes, the seventh "vs." fighter from Capcom and a bit of an unusual title to have in the Wii's lineup. Licensing issues may make a US release of this sucker difficult, but the game's hitting the Japanese Wii December 11 -- and Weekly Famitsu generally approved, giving the game four 8's and a Gold award.

For Famitsu's reviewers, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom had two selling points: the fighting system for one, yes, but also the sheer multitude of well-known characters. "Just like the title says, all of Tatsunoko and Capcom's leading characters are here," wrote one. "For an oldster like me, it's great seeing these classic characters in one place." "Seeing all these popular characters animated so smoothly as they fight is impressive enough by itself," another added.

The praise, however, was a fair bit fainter for the core of the game, the fighting system itself. "Once two reasonably skilled players go at it together, the fight tends to tilt towards repeated Baroque combos, making things a little flat, for better or worse," one reviewer stated. The word "flat" appeared in three out of the four reviews in fact, suggesting that we have a classic case of Famitsu giving a good-but-not-great title straight 8's out of politeness more than anything else.

At least the multiplayer and other extra bits are nice: "There are lots of modes to choose from, especially with the minigames, which you'll find yourself playing a lot just to unlock the other bonuses," one reviewer said. "Single-play isn't bad, but I think playing this together with others is a lot more fun."

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
RedBoot said:
So this would be the arcade roster, since it's missing Joe/Saki/Ippatsu/Daimoh?

Still leaves hope for secret characters in the Wii version...

When I played the Wii version 2 weeks ago, the roster was the same as that picture.

I quite enjoyed all that I've played of the game. I don't understand the "flat" comments.

TreIII

Like I said before, and on another board, you really can't place but so much value on things that Famitsu may say about FGs, especially when they try to do anything approaching a "technical analysis".

For one, Famitsu has about as much authority to talk about FGs on that type of level as a western publication like EGM does. And that's not much at all. They're both magazines that try to do more to cater to casual/broader interests, so really, just how much in the way of in-depth analysis can we expect from the likes of them?

I mean, these are the same guys that gave KOF XI a 28/40, in spite of the fact that most players agree it's the best game in the series since 98/02. Then they gave Sengoku BASARA X the same score(28/40), despite the fact that most agree that it's widely known as being probably the single WORST FG that ASW has made. :lol

So, to say that I don't really place that much value in Famitsu's opinions, especially when it comes to FGs, is an understatement.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
For whatever reason, Famitsu is still held in high regard among a large majority of westerners that know of its existence. It's ill placed, no matter what genre they're reviewing.

Regardless, I quite enjoy TvC, as does BudokaiMR2. You can take that or leave it.

One really cool thing I discovered in the last test we played was when I was playing as Karas. One of his supers is a counter. It puts him in a counter stance and if you touch him, you automatically get attacked for a large portion of damage.

I know it's kind of obvious, but I really liked the fact that I could use it to take out enemies between attacks. Instead of turtling, you can just initiate it when they're incessantly attacking. Makes people FAR more cautious. Hahaha. :lol

TreIII

thetrin said:
For whatever reason, Famitsu is still held in high regard among a large majority of westerners that know of its existence. It's ill placed, no matter what genre they're reviewing.

So, yeah, like I said a page ago, only sheep (be they Japanese or Westerners) really care that much about what Famitsu's talking heads say in their reviews. It's really only gaming news breaks that keep Famitsu relevant, in my eyes.

One really cool thing I discovered in the last test we played was when I was playing as Karas. One of his supers is a counter. It puts him in a counter stance and if you touch him, you automatically get attacked for a large portion of damage.

I know it's kind of obvious, but I really liked the fact that I could use it to take out enemies between attacks. Instead of turtling, you can just initiate it when they're incessantly attacking. Makes people FAR more cautious. Hahaha. :lol

He's not the only one who has a counter super. Doronjo-sama has one too, which basically involves her sitting back, taking a puff, and letting the cronies kick your ass. :lol

Only a few more days until my import copy arrives...gah, I can't wait!

off topic but basara x is considered arcs worst? I liked it a lot more than hakuto no ken and battle fantasia.

back on topic, do you think you'll have to play the mini games to unlock stuff?

TreIII

robut said:
off topic but basara x is considered arcs worst? I liked it a lot more than hakuto no ken and battle fantasia.

Basically, on the competitive tip, SBX is even "worse" than Hokuto no Ken. Silly tricks abound, balance is bad, and there were even some game breaking errors from the arcade release that made it to the PS2 port, last I checked.

By and large, Arc's fans panned over the game, the majority of Capcom's Basara fans panned over the game, and even the Hokuto crowd just went back to HnK after deeming SBX too much even for their liking.

Oh, and it sold poorly too. Didn't even make it past 50,000, if I remember correctly. That's piss poor, no matter which way you look at it (for a FG or a BASARA release).

So, commercially and scene-wise, it was a flop. Sad, to say.

back on topic, do you think you'll have to play the mini games to unlock stuff?

They did (or rather 1up's translator) stated that you supposedly will unlock stuff as you play the games.

Now, what that entails is any body's guess. We'll just have to wait and see.

amodf

ugh not the minigames.

basarax was pretty bad. it's very boring, there's not a lot to it and it's broken in a not fun way. YOU GOT HIT BY COUNTER WATCH ME DO THIS 60SECOND TWO BUTTON INFINITE.

and battle fantasia was totally rad.

the famitsu comments don't even make sense... how is the game flat but you do flashy baroque combos all the time? is it flat because ryu's fireball looks bad? famitsu is not to be trusted on matters of fighting games.

really, i don't know that japan can be trusted in any vs game even. they insisted dhalsim and sakura were top tier in marvel for sooooo long.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Shig said:

shootyourselfwithalargecaliberbullet.jpg

Shig said:
Funny, that's my reaction to anyone that would prefer Okami be represented at all before any of those are.

To be fair, ALL of those franchises had some type of representation in a VS. game before, except for DMC.

I don't think it's unreasonable to desire representation of newer Capcom franchises.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I think it's unreasonable to desire representation of new Capcom franchises that sucked, is basically what I'm getting at.

But I guess anything's fair game considering a quiz-based dating sim made the cut. I can't wait to see that little alien from Under the Skin's movelist!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'm just being difficult.

I don't really care about the game they're from as long as the character is solid. Like, Chaos Legion was a dismal game but it had some awesome character designs I wouldn't mind seeing again. Ditto Plasma Sword.

I feel you though. I always like to see more obscure characters in games like these. Like, remember when Shuma Gorath was in Marvel Super Heroes? Nobody knew who he was, but it got you interested in finding out his origins and whatnot.

Personally, since they've added Joe, I couldn't care less about who else gets in.

But if I had to ask, I'd want Linn Kurosawa and anyone from the Gyakuten Saiban series.

Top Bottom