• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom, new arcade fighter. (Viewtiful Joe in 'da house!)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dacvak said:
Smash
(Melee, fuck Brawl)
isn't better because of the AI or bosses, it's better because of the higher level of technical skill it takes, the movement freedom, and the much larger movesets. It's a harder game to master.

Seriously. Ask Justin Wong.

No shitstorms please

TreIII

Regulus Tera said:
Goddammit why does every fighting game thread has to shit on Smash at some point or another?

I think the original question was probably the correct one, though....why was Smash even brought up in the first place? :lol

Seriously, it's one of those "common sense" types of thing, like how you'll have a much better chance of NOT starting a fire, if you don't go playing around with matches.

Whatever your feelings about Smash may be, this ain't the time or place for it.

Now let's get back to talking about this awesome game that's coming out in a few days, shall we? :D

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yami seems brutal now though.

<3 the music

BAD NEWS

http://www.4gamer.net/games/074/G007468/20081204026/

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=5821572&postcount=425

Translation of the first question and answer:

Question:
When speaking of fighting games, since you can't (do something) without asking about hidden characters. How is that part of the game?

Answer:
This time we've got all characters available. Since we wanted to put a bang of all characters on the package, they're all available with nobody hidden. (LOL) There won't be any character grudges.

But hey, this means sequel.

Tenbatsu

sp14.jpg

Boss Doggie

^That's me. :3

Actually, according to another GameFAQs poster (who is fluent in Japanese), the article said that the developer just wants to give a full bang to the current cast, and doesn't want to be stingy. It doesn't mention about stuff like no more secret characters.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Does the game come with an update anyway?

I'm trying to install the Homebrew Channel and GeckoOS on my 3.3 PAL Wii (which I don't want to update) just for this game, so it'd be a shame if the game updated it.

Kilrogg said:
Does the game come with an update anyway?

I'm trying to install the Homebrew Channel and GeckoOS on my 3.3 PAL Wii (which I don't want to update) just for this game, so it'd be a shame if the game updated it.

Games played through the Gecko OS bypass any system updates on the disc.

TreIII

Processing...looks like I can look forward to the game shipping later tonite/today.

And, ideally, with FedEX shipping it should hopefully get here no later than Wednesday/Thursday. :D

amodf

I'm guessing there won't be any videos for this till it gets to the fighting game arcades that post videos (mikado, a-cho, game inn sakura, whatever arcade joybox videos come from, etc.) or till get it gets announced as an SBO game or not (so top players care about it!).

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
A work collegue forwarded me a few play asia coupons, I need to find other stuff to order along this game to "impulse order".

Just a technical questions : with a EU 3.2 Wii and a Wii loader, I'll be able to play this game fine? I guess I'll have to use the disk twice to bypass the 3.4FW install.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Yeah I really should but I've been procastinating on this since 3.3 came out :lol

Doesn't refrain me from playing Smash, so I guess I'm not THAT lazy.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
comedy bomb said:
Games played through the Gecko OS bypass any system updates on the disc.

Oh, great then.

Speaking of GeckoOS, is there anything I should know regarding the config options? I took a look at the GeckoOS menu and I'm not sure I understand everything...

[EDIT] I should make it clear that I use it through the Homebrew Channel, not through the Twilight Hack.

TreIII said:
Nah. See, Tabuu is easy enough, once you basically figure out how to deal with his main trump.

The best Final Bosses that Capcom and, ESPECIALLY SNK, would have to offer? They would send you out to work that corner, and you would LIKE IT. That's all there is to it. :lol

Compared to the likes of KOF99 Krizalid, or even MvC's Onslaught, Tabuu is nothing. Hopefully, Yami won't disappoint, especially on high levels of difficulty.

Whaa? Tabuu on Intense is way harder than Krizalid and Onslaught on the higher difficulties. The KoF 2001 boss on the other hand - that's a different story.

Also, by best, do you mean cheapest :lol ?

Boss Doggie

Kilrogg said:
Oh, great then.

Speaking of GeckoOS, is there anything I should know regarding the config options? I took a look at the GeckoOS menu and I'm not sure I understand everything...

[EDIT] I should make it clear that I use it through the Homebrew Channel, not through the Twilight Hack.

If the game has the same color system (your PAL game to your PAL TV or NTSC to your NTSC TV) then simply launch the game. Otherwise, you must force the game to play in a specific color system.

Boss Doggie

Any news on the OST? I want my remixed versions of Tatakae! Casshern! and Hakushon Daimaou no Uta.

Dascu

Mattlikewhoa said:
Wait what? This is the first time I've EVER heard of this (And I've been ordering from them since 2003).
The
orders_status_1.gif
was next to my Tatsunoko vs Capcom order this morning, but it's gone now. Weird.

akakaze

Banned
"Preparing order" on PlayAsia.... w000t!!

Only a few days left.

A friendly reminder, hopefully Capcom didn't institute any countermeasures to block import play (aside from the circumventable region lock that can be toppled by GeckoOS or Freeloader on 3.2 or below versions of the Wii firmware)... those of you using Freeloaders remember to insert the disc TWICE just in case the latest JP update is burned onto the TvC disc.

I'd like to believe Capcom isn't that evil, but given what a huge demand there is for this title and its status as a JP exclusive, I could see them trying to block us from accessing the game. Licensing issues, corporate strategy, whatever...the point is, I don't think they want us playing it.

Barring any freak security issues, I plan to post impressions here and at http://angstygaijin.blogspot.com as soon as the game arrives....

akakaze

Banned
All we know is that there aren't going to be too many more. I'd say at most we'd get 1 Tatsunoko char and 1 Capcom char, but that's being optimistic. More likely, they've already unveiled the entire roster.

Hopefully the game sells well enough to warrant a sequel. That way anyone who is left out of this one has a chance to show up in a sequel. :D

Canti

My copy won't be shipped until Versus Crusade comes out a week later, I hope I get it before Christmas (in Europe) >:

outsidah

Ok for the lazy and un-interested in the Wii's "hackability", I have put together a quick how-to on how to load TvC assuming there is nothing different about the game.

Thanks to the guys who provided links in this thread!

Stuff you need (physical materials):

Wii (assuming unmodded, System Software of 3.4 or below)
Twightlight Princess Game
SD Card <2GB, formatted to FAT

Software you need:

Twighlight Hack:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Twilight_Hack

Use this link if you have 3.3 system software or below:

http://hbc.hackmii.com/dist/twilight-hack-v0.1-beta1.zip

Use this link for 3.4:

http://hbc.hackmii.com/dist/twilight-hack-v0.1-beta2.zip

1) Unzip the file and copy the "private" directory to the SD card. Assuming you are in the US, the file you need to make sure is there is located in /private/wii/title/rzde/data.bin
The other files are for Japanese and and European systems.

Download the Homebrew Channel:

http://hbc.hackmii.com/dist/the_homebrew_channel-beta_9.tar.gz

http://hbc.hackmii.com/download/

Unzip that file and stick the "boot.dol" file into the ROOT of your SD card.

Download Gecko OS:

http://www.usbgecko.com/files/GeckoOS107b.zip

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps/Gecko_OS

Create a folder named "Apps" on the SD card. Unzip the GeckOS107b.zip on your PC. Find a folder inside named GeckoOS107b\HBC\GeckoOS107b.

Copy the contents of GeckoOS107b to the "apps" directory into the SD Card. Delete the file called boot.elf from the gecko directory. Go back to your PC's unzipped files and go to GeckoOS107b\DOL. Find the main.dol and rename it to boot.dol. Copy it to the directory where you deleted the boot.elf from on the SD card.

Now... here is a ripped instruction set from wiibrew.org:

Put your SD card in your Wii and turn it on.
Go into Wii Options --> Data Management --> Save Data --> Wii.
Find your Zelda save, click on it, click "Erase", and click Yes.
Open the SD card and select the "Twilight Hack" save that corresponds to your game region. Note: Some people are having problems with the Wii not "seeing" the save file on the SD card. If you are experiencing this, try setting the archive bit for the data.bin file - in Windows this can be either be done from the file's properties dialog (right click on it in Windows Explorer and check the box) or from the command line using "attrib +a <path to data.bin>". More info at #wiihelp on Efnet.
Click copy and then yes. Now exit out of the menu.
If you are using System Menu 3.4, you must immediately put the Twilight Hack to use. Turning off or running some other channel or game will have the System Menu delete the savegame again, and you'll have to start over.
Insert The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess game disc and run the game.
If you have the USA version of the game, load the "TwilightHack0" or "TwilightHack2" version of the game as appropriate (see above).
Otherwise, load the only "Twilight Hack" save game.
Once in the game, either walk backwards or talk to the man standing in front of you.
Follow the instructions listed on the screen.

This will run the installer for the Homebrew Channel. Install it, and then run it. The homebrew channel will find Gecko on your SD card. Run that and test it and you should be ready!!

Hope this helps someone... its less complicated than it seems.

Is this true about the control scheme?

According to Wired:
wired said:
I was a lot more excited about Tatsunoko vs. Capcom before I played it.

I mean, how could I not be? Sure, I've barely ever heard of the anime characters from the Tatsunoko animation studio, who are pitted against Capcom's cast of fighters in this spiritual successor to the tragically dead Marvel vs. Capcom series. But I love the all-out, over-the-top gameplay of the Vs. games, which Tatsunoko seemed to deliver in spades. So, arriving in Capcom's media suite Friday, I eagerly jumped in.

It was mostly as I expected. Ryu! Mega Man! A bunch of random anime dudes! You pick two of them and start whaling away on your opponent, tagging in your other character when you've lost too much health and need to recharge. The special moves are screen-filling, massive bursts of energy. Everything is fast, fast, fast. If you want, you can pick a gigantic character, but only one of them. You sacrifice speed for raw power.

So, what was wrong? Well, although I kind of anticipated that the control scheme would be a bit dumbed down for the Classic controller, I didn't think that it would be so simple. You only use three buttons to attack, which produce light, medium, and heavy attacks. So I picked my usual team of Ryu and Chun-Li (who are guaranteed to be in every Street Fighter game now and forever), and started playing. But since there are only three buttons, you don't know whether they're going to punch or kick.

Don't get me wrong -- I don't think the system is random. I got the feeling that you just have to re-learn how to play these classic characters with three buttons, and that the rest of the fighters will be easier to learn because by and large, this is their first appearance in a fighting game -- they're not being shoehorned in to this control scheme, they're being created from the ground up for it.

But even if this is true, I don't understand why the system has been so simplified. Has it really come to this? Has the rise of pared-down control schemes and accessible games really convinced Capcom that the average gamer is now a stupid moron? Would it have really hurt the appeal of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom to have two punches and two kicks? Would this game's core audience have been so mystified by one extra button?

Not to mention the fact that there's an even simpler control method. If you use the Wiimote horizontally or with the nunchuk, you'll go into a mode where you don't even have to do the familiar circular joystick motions to pull off special moves. You can just slam on buttons and watch your character fire off super attacks one after another.

I'll still buy the Wii version of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom when it ships in December in Japan, mostly because I still really want to play a new game in this mold and because I think there very well may be a good game buried beneath the sadly simplified controls. But my first experience was a bit of a letdown.

Not to mention the fact that there's an even simpler control method. If you use the Wiimote horizontally or with the nunchuk, you'll go into a mode where you don't even have to do the familiar circular joystick motions to pull off special moves. You can just slam on buttons and watch your character fire off super attacks one after another.

Easy combo setting in MvC2? Not quite the same, but it's not like this is a brand new feature to the versus series.

And yes, the control scheme has been known to be like that for a long time. Who cares though. What's a little relearning if you can pull off some beasty combos? ^^

Top Bottom