• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team 17 announces Worms Revolution (PC, consoles - 2D gameplay) + teaser

i have nothing against a worms in 2d plane but i'm not seeing the revolution here ...
Aside from potentiall new weapon ( that will break the balance ) i don't see what they can add or a change for this revolution.

But i might be wrong so i'll wait for more infos

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is that going to be in Revolution? I'm very interested, but damn has it been a long time since Armageddon.

You're telling me!

I can't say much more at the moment, but I have seen Revolution and I am supportive of it. And no one is more protective of my baby than me.

My wife and I played Worms world party all the time. We even kept a record of wins tallied and had a MVP system. If a single worm got worm of match, best shot and most kills for the match, they got a star next to their name. My wife has more wins, I have more stars next to my worms' names =P.

That was a ps1 disc we used for the ps2 and 3. Any recommended console sequels/offshoots for us to play? We never cared for the 3D titles. Maybe I'll just wait for this new one.

My wife and I played Worms world party all the time. We even kept a record of wins tallied and had a MVP system. If a single worm got worm of match, best shot and most kills for the match, they got a star next to their name. My wife has more wins, I have more stars next to my worms' names =P.

That was a ps1 disc we used for the ps2 and 3. Any recommended console sequels/offshoots for us to play? We never cared for the 3D titles. Maybe I'll just wait for this new one.

Did world party have metal girders?

Nothing feels as good as griefing someone by drilling into a mountain then fortifying it with girders.

Dachande

Jesus Christ, it's the worst artwork thus far. And that's saying something after the last couple of games.

Armageddon HD (not that it wasn't in HD on PC already) and we can just let Worms fade away, okay?

EDIT: Blimey, Andy Davidson posts on GAF? Well, I'll be interested to see what this second announcement is, but Revolution looks really bad, sorry. Every Worms since Armageddon/World Party has been significantly worse and I need to see something very special before I start getting excited about the series again.

Haunted

If deck'ard tasks about worms, you better listen.

That said, nothing in that trailer really convinced me. despite all the tremendous fun I had with the franchise over the years, a new one has an uphill battle to get me to play it, original creators' endorsement or not.

If deck'ard tasks about worms, you better listen.

That said, nothing in that trailer really convinced me. despite all the tremendous fun I had with the franchise over the years, a new one has an uphill battle to get me to play it, original creators' endorsement or not.

The reason they should go F2P, the only time I play Tetris now is through their site, can't see myself ever buying a Worms game again (After having already bought the Amiga, PS1, DS an Xbox versions).

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I totally understand the cynicism, and also the frustration that has built up over the years. Trust me, I've felt a lot of it myself! On the one hand it's been nice that my game is still being enjoyed by people this long after I created it. It was after all never meant to be published and just for me and my mates to avoid school work, so it was designed to never end, not get boring, to not repeat. And you have to remember new people are still discovering the game.

But on the other hand for people who discovered it at the start, what happened with the game isn't the way I would have personally handled it. Which is why I walked away in 98 after Armageddon, one of the hardest things I've ever had to do but I could see where things were going. And that wasn't what I wanted for my baby as it were.

Fast forward to 2012 and where are we now then? Well I've seen the new game, and I've been up there, and the name Revolution reflects more than just the new engine. A lot has changed at Team17 recently, not just being self-published, there's a focus back on creativity and a nice mix of old and new people there now who really care about Worms, and games in general. Revolution is being polished to the nth degree, nice touches everywhere and a bit more twisted sense of style and humour like the original Worms. It's hard to get across how good that engine looks in a short video by the way, it really is good and very refreshing which the game needs after all this time.

There's another announcement to come which will fill in some more details, and they'll be more details about the game as time goes on as well, but the people at Team17 at the moment know the importance of this title, as well as the mistakes of the past, and this is why I'm supportive of it.

This isn't a lazy Worms game, or the same Team17, and going forward I'm happy to support that as the industry really needs independent studios that foster creativity, risk taking, and people who just love games. I love games, and so did the people I saw again and the new ones I met this week.

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to give NeoGAF a bigger picture as I've always respected and valued the opinions of people on here. And I did promise to keep you all updated on things :)

They should just stop making several games for several plataforms,join all staff in one team and work in a game for 3 years exclusive to pc.

xk0sm0sx

Worms on the PS1, Worms 2 and Armageddon on the PC, were the games I've played 4 player with cousins and friends. While we were still young we preferred to team up with each other and beat the computer team first, then have a fortifying match. When worms 2 and Armageddon came out we liked to play with "Full Wormage" on and just enjoy throwing Banana Bombs and Holy Grenades at CPUs without any competitive element

Only when I grew older I began to learn how to use the Bazooka and Grenade and play more competitively...

Shall see how this goes :)

Jay Sosa

Oh god this reminds me of my youth. Some people I hung out with back then were insanely good at these games. Stupid exploding sheep.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Worms on the PS1, Worms 2 and Armageddon on the PC, were the games I've played 4 player with cousins and friends. While we were still young we preferred to team up with each other and beat the computer team first, then have a fortifying match. When worms 2 and Armageddon came out we liked to play with "Full Wormage" on and just enjoy throwing Banana Bombs and Holy Grenades at CPUs without any competitive element

Only when I grew older I began to learn how to use the Bazooka and Grenade and play more competitively...

Shall see how this goes :)

That's cool to read, as I was talking about it this week up at Team17.

Worms was designed to be enjoyable even if you didn't play it correctly. I wanted to create like a digital playground, with the tools to just have fun. The game working on whatever level of involvement the player chooses to indulge in. Games can have multiple levels of depth all existing simultaneously, and that's how you give a game the longest life possible as well as appeal to as many people as possible. I wanted even people who didn't play games to enjoy Worms, and I wanted my mates who played them to death to sometimes be beaten by the person who never did so they would get the piss taken out of them. And the one who won feel good about it. It was all about the banter ;)

Worms was always about being a social game, something that can be played incredibly strategically if you wanted to but also didn't take itself too seriously. As I've said before, I'm firmly in the games are toys camp, to be enjoyed, to have fun with. You provide the deepest, best toy possible and leave it up to the player to find their favourite way of playing with it.

Glad you found that with Worms, and cheers for posting!

I totally understand the cynicism, and also the frustration that has built up over the years. Trust me, I've felt a lot of it myself! On the one hand it's been nice that my game is still being enjoyed by people this long after I created it. It was after all never meant to be published and just for me and my mates to avoid school work, so it was designed to never end, not get boring, to not repeat. And you have to remember new people are still discovering the game.

But on the other hand for people who discovered it at the start, what happened with the game isn't the way I would have personally handled it. Which is why I walked away in 98 after Armageddon, one of the hardest things I've ever had to do but I could see where things were going. And that wasn't what I wanted for my baby as it were.

Fast forward to 2012 and where are we now then? Well I've seen the new game, and I've been up there, and the name Revolution reflects more than just the new engine. A lot has changed at Team17 recently, not just being self-published, there's a focus back on creativity and a nice mix of old and new people there now who really care about Worms, and games in general. Revolution is being polished to the nth degree, nice touches everywhere and a bit more twisted sense of style and humour like the original Worms. It's hard to get across how good that engine looks in a short video by the way, it really is good and very refreshing which the game needs after all this time.

There's another announcement to come which will fill in some more details, and they'll be more details about the game as time goes on as well, but the people at Team17 at the moment know the importance of this title, as well as the mistakes of the past, and this is why I'm supportive of it.

This isn't a lazy Worms game, or the same Team17, and going forward I'm happy to support that as the industry really needs independent studios that foster creativity, risk taking, and people who just love games. I love games, and so did the people I saw again and the new ones I met this week.

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to give NeoGAF a bigger picture as I've always respected and valued the opinions of people on here. And I did promise to keep you all updated on things :)

Sounds amazing. As a worms fan I really want to see how Revolution unveils its details.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Does anybody who worked at armageddon still at team 17 ?

Yep, like I said it's a mix of old and new.

There's people there from the Worms 1 days, including the new MD of the company. Kel who arranged drinks at the pub as soon as I got up there was the main playtester of Worms: The Director's Cut which was the prototype of Worms 2 and what followed. He's the producer on Revolution. There's people there from all periods, lead designer for Revolution is from the Armageddon days. And you have new people as well, some straight out of Uni, which is also important because they have a fresh perspective.

There was a buzz about the place again, and I liked it. In a creative industry you need that, it's where good ideas spring from.

TxdoHawk

Don't like the new artstyle, but I am reserving judgment since I have no idea how close the game is to completion.

As far as the people calling for Armageddon HD: Worms Reloaded is close enough at this point that I doubt Team 17 would bother doing a direct remake. (I loved Armageddon too, but I don't miss the old-school, easily-abused rope physics.)

Deadstar

Why would I bother upgrading from Worms World Party?

I agree. Worms Armageddon/World Party was the last great Worms games. The xbox/psn/pc games after that have all had LESS content which I just don't understand. They went from having 20+ game backgrounds and being able to play on custom jpgs to having 6 backgrounds with no custom background support. I do love Worms and think it could be great fun if they would stop messing it up. I'm really hoping this is a good game. I held off on the last pc release because of the reasons above and how it was dlc'd to death.

Rich!

Worms 2 has always been one of my favourite games ever made. The amount of hours spent on that game when I was younger is absolutely mindblowing. PSX version of the original entertained us loads too.

Brought Armageddon the other day for the PC, and re-living it all again. Just wish I'd picked up Worms 2 with it! gah

Revolution looks good.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Worms 2 has always been one of my favourite games ever made. The amount of hours spent on that game when I was younger is absolutely mindblowing. PSX version of the original entertained us loads too.

Brought Armageddon the other day for the PC, and re-living it all again. Just wish I'd picked up Worms 2 with it! gah

Revolution looks good.

Always nice to hear people played it the way it was created, to play for hours and hours with their friends. Glad you had fun with it!

I'm over in America at the moment with Revolution, here's a little demo we gave Gamespot with ended in total carnage and nearly everything blowing up. Which is always good :)

http://www.gamespot.com/worms-revolution/videos/we-got-worms-worms-revolution-demo-6384785/

Arnie

That's cool to read, as I was talking about it this week up at Team17.

Worms was designed to be enjoyable even if you didn't play it correctly. I wanted to create like a digital playground, with the tools to just have fun. The game working on whatever level of involvement the player chooses to indulge in. Games can have multiple levels of depth all existing simultaneously, and that's how you give a game the longest life possible as well as appeal to as many people as possible. I wanted even people who didn't play games to enjoy Worms, and I wanted my mates who played them to death to sometimes be beaten by the person who never did so they would get the piss taken out of them. And the one who won feel good about it. It was all about the banter ;)

Worms was always about being a social game, something that can be played incredibly strategically if you wanted to but also didn't take itself too seriously. As I've said before, I'm firmly in the games are toys camp, to be enjoyed, to have fun with. You provide the deepest, best toy possible and leave it up to the player to find their favourite way of playing with it.

Glad you found that with Worms, and cheers for posting!

So you created Worms? I just want to tell you that I have distinct memories of playing it all weekend with my dad and my brother, and going into primary school whistling the theme tune, wishing I was back home still playing. I must've been about 7 or 8 years old. I'm 20 now.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
So you created Worms? I just want to tell you that I have distinct memories of playing it all weekend with my dad and my brother, and going into primary school whistling the theme tune, wishing I was back home still playing. I must've been about 7 or 8 years old. I'm 20 now.

Yep, Worms is my baby and very proud of it I am :)

I love hearing things like this, because in my head it is still the little game I made for me and my mates when I should have been doing more serious things like trying to get into Uni. It's the best feeling in the world knowing you've made something that has touched so many other people's lives, and that they've had the same amount of fun playing it as I had creating it.

I just wanted to make the game I wanted to play, something we could play for hours and hours without getting bored and which didn't take itself too seriously whilst still having the depth to last a long time.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I bet the ibar is (was?) really cool Andy

It was very funky!

Owning a live music venue was another dream of mine, after getting a game published. We were only a small independent place but punched way above our weight. Had some great bands play from all over the place, even got the Kitsune Tour which was basically unheard of in a small town like Bournemouth.

The whole place ran off our own software, upstairs all interactive with a touchscreen plasma and displays embedded in the walls to tell people the name, artist and album of anything you were listening to. Local bands and producers could upload their own stuff to get exposure, picking the music was all free.

And downstairs was a proper underground basement club with videowall and realtime visualisation. Had some amazing times, we just did our own thing with the music we liked and a proper little community. I wanted to try and give people a help up the ladder to achieve their dream as I had achieved mine with Worms. Some have gone on to be signed and are working with people like AutoKratz now. It's a great feeling.

After 4.5 years though, and with things getting increasingly hard for bars and clubs, it sort of felt we'd done our thing though and I was getting the creative itch again. There's a bit of unfinished business for me where games are concerned ;)

sp3000

Nice to see some innovation. The franchise had really not progressed at all since Armageddon.

I was just playing it a few days ago with some of my friends and it's still a blast. Also very easy to mod.

Danielsan

Nice to see some innovation. The franchise had really not progressed at all since Armageddon.
It has only regressed after Armageddon.

The game looks and feels fresh again, and it needed that after all this time.

I wouldn't be back if it didn't :)
I'm holding you to your word. I used to love Worms, starting with the first one on the playstation, but the series has become staler than stale since Armageddon.
Also, this game had better see the return of Aqua Sheeps, considering the heavy focus on water!

Nosgoroth

Yep, Worms is my baby and very proud of it I am :.

Sir, I salute you. Thanks for the hours upon hours of fun. I think Worms 2 was the first game I bought day one (EDIT: preordered, even!), and I still have the box here in my room, proudly displayed.

Interfectum

Yep, Worms is my baby and very proud of it I am :)

I love hearing things like this, because in my head it is still the little game I made for me and my mates when I should have been doing more serious things like trying to get into Uni. It's the best feeling in the world knowing you've made something that has touched so many other people's lives, and that they've had the same amount of fun playing it as I had creating it.

I just wanted to make the game I wanted to play, something we could play for hours and hours without getting bored and which didn't take itself too seriously whilst still having the depth to last a long time.

I love Worms. Many, many hours of entertainment. :)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
It has only regressed after Armageddon.

I'm holding you to your word. I used to love Worms, starting with the first one on the playstation, but the series has become staler than stale since Armageddon.
Also, this game had better see the return of Aqua Sheeps, considering the heavy focus on water!

Yeah, I can totally understand how people can feel like this. I myself left after Armageddon, there was a lot of pressure on the game then for various reasons and that could get in the way of things. There was a lot with Armageddon that I wasn't able to see done actually, which was incredibly frustrating.

Revolution though is the shot in the arm the series needed, and the people involved know and understand that. It's been a lot of work for them building a new engine from scratch, but it's been well worth it. It's making the game fresh again, and adding new elements to the gameplay, while still staying true to its roots. Which is why I'm happy to be back, Team17 is very different now.

It does sound like quite a lot of changes, what with classes and not drowning etc so I may pick it up at some stage.

Perhaps I've been playing too much TF2 but I'm not seeing any hats on those worms. Shame.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Senator Soufflé;39369686 said:
It does sound like quite a lot of changes, what with classes and not drowning etc so I may pick it up at some stage.

Perhaps I've been playing too much TF2 but I'm not seeing any hats on those worms. Shame.

Hats are in there, there's loads of customisable things.

Even what the worms play with during idle animations.

Do we really need 3 water attacks?

Who needed grenades when you had banana bombs?

Just a way of having levels of weapon power, and it looks like the primary purpose of water bombs/hoses will be to slide a bunch of enemy worms into a vulnerable spot, not unlike fire attacks in armageddon/world party.

pringles

Been having so much fun with Armaggeddon on 360 lately, the formula is so perfect to me that I'm not sure I even need a new Worms game. My brother and I have slowly tweaked what is now a perfectly balanced gamemode, atleast for the tall levels (which are obviously the most fun). I dare say it's more strategic than Chess.

This doesn't look bad though. One thing they should bring back from Worms 1 is how you could search for levels by writing in random stuff.. and there were unique levels like "space", "worms", "birds" etc. They were an awesome change from the standard randomly generated stuff.

Platy

I love infinite weapoll all unlocked mode worms !

But those water weapons need some serious balancing ... they looked so useless in the gameplay video ... underwater worms need to take more damage than just 10

Top Bottom