• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Jungle Inferno Update

LordRaptor

As is now a force of habit when looking at TF2 update pages, ctrl+a to reveal hidden links.
Saxtons parrot can be "headshotted" by mouseovering.

I assume this is a clue about something

Fox318

VNN confirmed that the paints will have grades (like CS go guns)

Why the fuck can't they just have normal skins? Every fucking thing needs to have levels and extra rarities its fucking insane.

If somebody really wants a scratched up gun they should make it like stickers so fans can decide what they want.

Just read the patch list. Wow, some of those are strange. "No downside" to Bonk? Nevermind completely giving up a secondary weapon, and not being able to fire while it's active. Now if you use it to tank or distract a Sentry, or basically anything important, you're going to die right after due to the speed decrease.

And for how long they fiddled with how the Dead Ringer gained cloak from ammo, to just take the mechanic out years later is kind of laughable.

One thing to note is that Scout (and Demo) is an extremely powerful class with an extremely powerful stock loadout, so a lot of the (viable) alternative weapons can easily become OP as skill levels rise. Especially the ones added in 2009-2011 when Robin Walker was trying to balance the game like a MOBA.

Bluth54

As is now a force of habit when looking at TF2 update pages, ctrl+a to reveal hidden links.
Saxtons parrot can be "headshotted" by mouseovering.

I assume this is a clue about something

If you look closely there's 3 red dots on the unexploded parrot,it could be a hint for a new sniper rifle.

Wow, they gave pyro a jetpack

I may actually boot TF2 when this drops

Those flamethrower changes are actually legit, wonder how much air control you'll get w/ the change, wonder if its enough to strafe free as a spy...

Banana not a reskin ;)

Hope those weapons enter the drop system. Contracts are fine, but they're not around forever, and I generally like some consistency in item distribution as far as the Item Server goes.

LordRaptor

The update said:
Too bad, Heavy players. You lost fair and square, and there's no prize for second place.
And to commemorate your loss, here's a free gift!

lol.

And people say all their funny writers left.

That gas can has been around forums as a Pyro secondary since the game came out. Nice to see it finally realized in game.

Also his jetpack has 07-17 on it. 07 the year TF2 came out, and 17, this year. Celebrating 10 years of TF2.

ZugZug123

Nice to see TF2 still going strong. Will def play the update with friends to complete the contracts.

Edit: as a mainly M1 Pybro I will have to check this jet pack thing and see if I can get better at him :) Otherwise is back to Medic and Engie. I love being Spy-bait it seems.

Bluth54

Banana not a reskin ;)

Hope those weapons enter the drop system. Contracts are fine, but they're not around forever, and I generally like some consistency in item distribution as far as the Item Server goes.

I'm guessing either the contracts will be around forever or the items will enter the drop system when the event is over. It's not like they're going to keep those items away from players who weren't around during this update.

Is there really "3" dots? At work can't see, but if so, way to troll people over and over Valve.

Yes there's 3 dots and it does't look like any sniper dots currently in the game but we got the weapons today and no new sniper weapons so who knows, it could have just been artistic license.

Ionic

I'll have to savor this final night with my flare gun and airblast acting the way I've been used to for the last many years. It's been good. The new changes will be exciting though.

Fox318

I really hope tomorrow is something big like the announcement of Source 2.

Right now I can't see why this update took a year to push out.

MVM needs some more maps and another Mann up campaign is warranted.

The airblast and afterburn changes sound great, Pyro was always a janky annoying mess to play as and against, so hopefully the changes alleviate that.

I really hope tomorrow is something big like the announcement of Source 2.

Right now I can't see why this update took a year to push out.

MVM needs some more maps and another Mann up campaign is warranted.
Source 2 would be nice... but it ain't gonna be Source 2.

Fox318

Source 2 would be nice... but it ain't gonna be Source 2.

Unless its something crazy this update is a small one frankly and could have been released earlier.

Even the video they made was very short compared to what members of the community an what prior videos valve has made. We know from clips that that Saxton hale model was completed in 2015 so did they really take 2 years making a two minute short with two voice actors?

I want to hold off my judgement before tomorrow but frankly its not the great big update they were planning especially when the community made most of it.

Captain Fun

Neo Member
I thought the thermal thruster was going to cost flamethrower ammo but now I'm not so sure.When they say it fires a short blast, do they mean an attack or is it just like a big jump?
Unless its something crazy this update is a small one frankly and could have been released earlier.
There's a lot of balance changes coming along with 5 new valve weapons, some of which are really going to change how people play the Pyro. It seems pretty sizable to me.
Even the video they made was very short compared to what members of the community an what prior videos valve has made. We know from clips that that Saxton hale model was completed in 2015 so did they really take 2 years making a two minute short with two voice actors?
Just because the model existed two years ago doesn't mean the video started production then.
5 weapons, 6 maps, an entire new campaign system, paintable weapons, and a massive rebalance is a small update?

What the heck were you expecting!?
Having any amount of community created content makes it not count or something.

Fox318

5 weapons, 6 maps, an entire new campaign system, paintable weapons, and a massive rebalance is a small update?

What the heck were you expecting!?

• Changes to the UI
  • Changes to match making
  • Adding content to MVM
  • Fixing competitive and making it viable
  • Final comic chapter
  • Additional Misc slots
  • Fixing clipping hats and particle effects
  • New game mode or adding another map to underplayed game-types like medieval and Special Delivery.
  • Fixing auto balance in casual
  • Promoting community servers instead of hiding them.
  • Promoting workshop/community made maps.

Some of the balance notes and the flamethrower changes are probably the most important.

But this is not different than many of the CS:GO campaigns. New loot box, new stickers/skins.

I refuse to believe Valve has been testing balance changes for 1-2 years on a pyro weapon pack.

They have left a very active player base to die while they promote the shit out of Dota2. This long between updates should lay the foundation to keep this game popular and active for the next 10 years.

Instead right now it might as well be the original medic update with extra skins.

Zia

Yeah, this update is not at all what I expected after the hype. The short felt like a Saxxy entry, the campaign pass ("Choose Your Own Adventure!" lol) was used as a filler day and the updates and fixes for the Pyro are changes that should be made across the board considering the game hasn't seen a decent content update for a year and has been left effectively broken.

I didn't think we'd get a Source 2 port (S2 might as well be dead), but I did expect a Casual fix and UI improvements. The list of balance changes we'll now surely get tomorrow is what I expect from a competent company peppered throughout the course of a year.

Fox318

Yeah, this update is not at all what I expected after the hype. The short felt like a Saxxy entry, the campaign pass ("Choose Your Own Adventure!" lol) was used as a filler day and the updates and fixes for the Pyro are changes that should be made across the board considering the game hasn't seen a decent content update for a year and has been left effectively broken.

I didn't think we'd get a Source 2 port (S2 might as well be dead), but I did expect a Casual fix and UI improvements. The list of balance changes we'll now surely get tomorrow is what I expect from a competent company peppered throughout the course of a year.

Bingo.

Did it really take them a year of testing to figure out nobody was using the YER and Mantreads or that the Dead Ringer needed to be nerfed again?

Bluth54

I do think Source 2 is happening eventually (maybe not in this update but it would explain the delay). Too many people at Valve, including higher ups like Gabe Newell and Doug Lombardi, have said they're moving everything over to Source 2.

• Changes to the UI
  • Changes to match making
  • Adding content to MVM
  • Fixing competitive and making it viable
  • Final comic chapter
  • Additional Misc slots
  • Fixing clipping hats and particle effects
  • New game mode or adding another map to underplayed game-types like medieval and Special Delivery.
  • Fixing auto balance in casual
  • Promoting community servers instead of hiding them.
  • Promoting workshop/community made maps.

Some of the balance notes and the flamethrower changes are probably the most important.

But this is not different than many of the CS:GO campaigns. New loot box, new stickers/skins.

I refuse to believe Valve has been testing balance changes for 1-2 years on a pyro weapon pack.

They have left a very active player base to die while they promote the shit out of Dota2. This long between updates should lay the foundation to keep this game popular and active for the next 10 years.

Instead right now it might as well be the original medic update with extra skins.
- they just did that last year...
- expected to be coming this update
- nobody plays MvM and the last few updates to the mode didn't do anything to improve that. It's a dead mode and not worth their time or effort to continue development
- I'm not really sure what you even mean here, but weapon balance should help
- those comics are entirely unrelated to updates and shouldn't be expected as part of any major update. They specifically said they weren't going to be attached to any update, why would you believe this time would be different?
- that would destroy the game completely. It's not technically possible to do, and will never be. There are hard limits to the engine
- has never been part of any major update and is handled in random bug fixes
- nobody plays those modes and it's not worth the effort when KotH, CP and CTF are much more popular modes
- they've been making tweaks to this in regular patches
- community servers were junk. Sorry. They were. Ads everywhere, limited map rotations, abusive moderators, there's a reason Valve hides them. Maybe you found a community of buddies, but I didn't. Most players didn't. Before the update to them, people were clamoring for Valve to do something about the abuse, ads and limited map selection. So they did.
- ??? Did you read day 1 of the update ???

You have a dozen man team, and with just the content announced so far, they have made an update larger than any update that's come out in years.

Have some actual, realistic expectations. 75% of your list shouldn't have ever been expected to be in this update. This was a pyro weapon, balance and map update. That is what it was announced as last year.

You have a misunderstanding of what this update was always planned to be.

this update has 3 times as much content as the Medic update and we still have one day left.

Bingo.

Did it really take them a year of testing to figure out nobody was using the YER and Mantreads or that the Dead Ringer needed to be nerfed again?
TF2 has never been balanced like this. Have you even paid attention to any update that's ever been released?? Major updates are always when balance changes happen, they very, very, very rarely happen outside of them. In the entire history of the game.

Come on

Captain Fun

Neo Member
- nobody plays MvM and the last few updates to the mode didn't do anything to improve that. It's a dead mode and not worth their time or effort to continue development
I think this one could be remedied with a new campaign/rewards. Also, I assumed they at least toyed with some MVM stuff. Wasn't there something in the game's files regarding robot soldiers using the base jumper?

For reference, my expectations for the update were
- a bunch of balance changes
- 3 - 4 maps
- hats
- 3 new Pyro weapons
- a new campaign that worked like the older ones

I think this one could be remedied with a new campaign/rewards. Also, I assumed they at least toyed with some MVM stuff. Wasn't there something in the game's files regarding robot soldiers using the base jumper?
That was years ago. MvM hasn't been touched in forever and the amount of regular players in the mode is pretty dire.

The issue with MvM is people play the content for a few weeks and never go back. So time spent with that two week content could be spent adding content players will use constantly, like new regular maps or weapons. A MvM update at this point would likely be met with "why did you update MvM and not something we actually play" from the community.

Resources are extremely limited, and a few months to a year spent adding MvM content could end in disaster.

Zia

You have a dozen man team, and with just the content announced so far, they have made an update larger than any update that's come out in years.

Why is the number of people working on TF2 a consumer-facing, relevant thing? At a glance there are dozens of "big" MP games on Steam that don't draw the number of users that TF2 does, that aren't run by billion dollar corporations, that receive regular and quality (given how shitty the past few named patches have been, I'm keeping my expectations in check) updates.

Given Valve's touting of their profitability-per-employee, I always find the TF2 team size as an excuse infuriating rather than sympathetic.

I agree with the MVM comments, that game mode is deader than disco. It was nice when it came out, but now it's more empty than hydro. Well, almost as empty as hydro.

Bluth54

There's a ton of community made MVM maps/missions out there now. I think Valve could do a yearly MVM update that requires minimal effort on their part and makes them a lot of money by doing the following:

Announce on the blog they're doing a yearly MVM update and how many missions (and what difficulty levels) an official map will require.

Playtest the top rated MVM maps/missions on the workshop and chose 3 high quality ones and do the following.

Make a special Squad Surplus voucher that you can buy for the duration of the update. Part of the revenue from the voucher will pay for the maps like campaign passes. The special squad surplus voucher gives you an exclusive unusual effect you get on any Australium weapons (and a small % of bot killers) that you find with the ticket. If you use a normal ticket you don't get the effect. When the event it over the ticket turns into a regular one.

Create a set of exclusive bot killers that you can only get during the update.

Create a new set of Australiums for the update (and maybe even rare silver weapons as well)

Chose a set of cosmetics for the updates and put them out in a crate for people who don't play MVM.

Change up the squad surplus voucher. Right now you just get a random drop (and a few mvm exclusive cosmetics). Add in exclusive War Paints and the ability to find unusuals with an exclusive effect or two (make the war paints uncommmon to rare and unsusuals very rare of course).

Finally put out the update in March or April when it's usually a fairly dead time for TF2 updates.

It will take a little work to setup, but once it is all Valve has to do is pick maps and cosmetics, as well as have their art people make some weapon skins and a new unusual weapon effect for the update every year. Easy money.

derFeef

Curious about the Pyro changes. It will help me finally get that Pyromancer achievement.

And finally crack that 100hr mark :D
y2rlsBD.png

edit: I never actually dived into MVM (i dont have tf2 friends anymore)

Top Bottom