• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Sonic Racing - Coming this winter to X1, PS4, Switch and Steam

Sega has revealed the successor to Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed and it will be playable at E3 this year.

The game launches this winter and is being developed by Sumo Digital who did an incredible job on the last game.

Key Features:
  • Online Multiplayer & Local Co-Op Modes – 12 players per race, 4 player split screen, and various offline / online race modes including Grand Prix Mode, Exhibition Mode, Time-Trial and Team Adventure Mode.
  • Team Racing – Race as a team, win as a team. Use various team moves to assist your teammates, knock out opponents and unleash your Team Ultimate.
  • Performance & Skin Customisation – Alter the appearance and handling of your vehicle.
  • Wisps – 14 spectacular offensive and defensive items to help overcome rival teams and get ahead!
  • Adventure Mode – Unique story experience where players are introduced to basic game features and characters.
  • Various Characters and Types – 15 playable characters from across the Sonic Universe and 3 distinct character types including Speed, Technique, and Power.

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Looks good so far, waiting to see more. I liked that they used Chaos as the bystanders here:
team_sonic_racing_1.png

Also Sonic and Shadow's cars look sick, and I like what little we've heard of the music.

ar0s

Really love their previous racing game. Better than any Mario Kart by far.

However the lack of Sega characters and the fact this is not an All Stars game makes me o_O - not interested until it's £10 sadly.

How many characters were there in All Stars? Considering there were loads of Sega characters not playable that could be added this time like Ristar it's such a shame they have gone the only Sonic route.

Does anyone really want to play as the 10th - 15th most important character from the Sonic universe? Boggles the mind this is not All stars.

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Well, I'm a fan of the Sonic-only focus. When I played Sonic Riders I only played the Sonic characters. Maybe that's because I never unlocked the other characters, and only now realize that Ulala and the other characters were in the game after Googling it, but.........not every Sonic racing game needs all these Sega characters. Nice to see one focus on Sonic.

Last edited:

Graven

They set the bar high with the phenomenal Transformed, i trust they will deliver this time around as well.

Soltype

Are there even 15 Sonic characters worth having in a racing game? They should have stuck to the all stars route.

OH-MyCar

As a Sega fanboy (although not particularly a Sonic one), the fact they're ditching the other Sega characters kills a ton of my interest. However, All Stars Racing Transformed was better than most Mario Karts.

I'll pick it up on sale?

Graven

Are there even 15 Sonic characters worth having in a racing game? They should have stuck to the all stars route.

Sonic Heroes playable cast, Babylon birds(Riders), Eggman, Silver, Blaze, maybe Zavok. There are options, some not so popular, but still.

dan76

... From the interview at E3 there's not going to be any free for all online mode. The whole thing is team racing... I guess the clue is in the title. Not feeling it. I'm sure it will handle great because of Sumo, but I'd have preferred a port of a Sonic Racing - the first one, not Transformed.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
... From the interview at E3 there's not going to be any free for all online mode. The whole thing is team racing... I guess the clue is in the title. Not feeling it. I'm sure it will handle great because of Sumo, but I'd have preferred a port of a Sonic Racing - the first one, not Transformed.
Isn't there enough old games getting rereleased already? Even if you do not have any last gen system anymore, there is still a chance the game will come to Xbox One BC.

Kazza

I'm actually quite glad about the delay, as it wasn't looking that great. Still, with Sumo Digital at the helm, it's worth being optimistic. Hopefully the final product will be up to their usual standards by next May.

Last edited:
Great, hopefully they'll churn out something better than what they've showcased so far because it looked like a huge step backwards from the amazing All Stars Transformed which was a flat out awesome title.

Main thing this new game seems to be lacking (aside from decent characters) is a sense of speed followed by good track design as it looked slow and boring in equal doses. That said Sumo Digital have always delivered so here's hoping they keep it up.

Graven

Great, hopefully they'll churn out something better than what they've showcased so far because it looked like a huge step backwards from the amazing All Stars Transformed which was a flat out awesome title.

Main thing this new game seems to be lacking (aside from decent characters) is a sense of speed followed by good track design as it looked slow and boring in equal doses. That said Sumo Digital have always delivered so here's hoping they keep it up.

Thank you for saying everything i wanted to say, even better than i could.

Last edited:

SegaShack

Loved All Stars and Transformed but Little Big Planet 3 was terrible IMO. Wish the series was still Sega focused.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Loved All Stars and Transformed but Little Big Planet 3 was terrible IMO. Wish the series was still Sega focused.
With the gameplay basis of LittleBigPlanet, it is basically impossible to deliver, though.

Kazza

Music (Jun Senoue, Tee Lopes, and Takeshi Taneda) just released for a new track called Sand Road (inspired by Sonic Adventure's Sand Hill level):

Sounds good. Let's hope that all the extra production time pays off (especially since it will be competing with Crash now)

Fox Mulder

I lost interest with the shift from All Stars. Sumo Digital is amazing and I enjoyed these games, but they last released one in 2012 last gen. It's just their luck that Crash Team Racing is out in June and will likely eat this up just on nostalgia and on the back of the remaster trilogy selling millions.

MiguelItUp

I'm so glad so many aren't a fan of the shift from All Stars. I wanna give this game a shot, but I really don't care for the Sonic universe enough.

I want my Golden Axe, Alex Kidd, and more. 😭

dirthead

Banned
The best stuff in All Stars was the non Sonic stuff (the Panzer Dragoon level, etc.) and so they doubled down on what people didn't want. Classic Sega.

Really, when is Sega going to get the memo? No one gives a shit about Sonic. Fuck Sonic. Enough with fucking Sonic already. Holy cow.

Fake

As a Sonic fan myself I have 0% chances of buying this game. I can't understand why remove all star chars. Was the strong aspect of the game.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
All-stars transformed was one of the best karting games out there outside of the mario kart games. This disappoints me.

Although I was disappointed in the announcement at first, I will still give this game a shot and hopefully they represent the Classic side better than they have done in the past.

Here is hoping they can re-use these assets for a future All Stars game so Sonic can be less concentrated on and focus more on the SEGA franchises.

I don't think this game will be bad but the Team Gameplay aspect is going to not make many people pleased.

15 characters is quite limited for a franchise such as this. Why no Cream, Espio and even Mighty/Nack?

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
No one gives a shit about Sonic
You do realize that Sonic is the series that made the most lifetime sales for Sega. Not Panzer Dragoon.

Even if we love Panzer Dragoon or Alex Kidd, this is niche stuff.

Kids are going to have a blast with Sonic Team Racing, and they don't care about Panzer Dragoon or Burning Rangers. This game is for them first and foremost.

Last edited:
All-stars transformed was one of the best karting games out there outside of the mario kart games. This disappoints me.

Yeah, I don't even care about the roster really but I believe it isn't even focused on racing? Thought it was some shite like Onrush nobody ever asked for lol.

Ah well, still have MK8D when I get a karting itch online, haven't put that much time into it yet since launch and I'll grab CTR too.

Graven

The best stuff in All Stars was the non Sonic stuff (the Panzer Dragoon level, etc.) and so they doubled down on what people didn't want. Classic Sega.

Really, when is Sega going to get the memo? No one gives a shit about Sonic. Fuck Sonic. Enough with fucking Sonic already. Holy cow.

Now imagine actually believing that.

dirthead

Banned
You do realize that Sonic is the series that made the most lifetime sales for Sega. Not Panzer Dragoon.

Even if we love Panzer Dragoon or Alex Kidd, this is niche stuff.

Kids are going to have a blast with Sonic Team Racing, and they don't care about Panzer Dragoon or Burning Rangers. This game is for them first and foremost.

I don't care about lifetime sales. It's 2019.

Yakuza on Steam is probably selling more copies than any Sonic game. Sonic is done. Sega couldn't even figure out how to make a modern one so they had to come back on their hands and knees to have a fan game maker essentially make another Genesis game for them. It's _done_.

dirthead

Banned

I don't mean that literally not a single person on the planet cares about Sonic. I mean that it's over as the mainstream hit it was. There's nowhere to go with it, and we're actually now at DECADES of shitty 3D games that prove it doesn't translate. It's done.

No one cares about Sonic in the same way that no one cares about Guardian Heroes even though it might personally be my favorite game.

https://steamspy.com/app/584400

https://steamspy.com/app/460790

More people are into Bayonetta, fucking BAYONETTA, an actual intentionally niche game, than Sonic now. It's DONE. Time to move on Sega. No one cares anymore.

Yoshi

and we're actually now at DECADES of shitty 3D games that prove it doesn't translate. It's done.
There were some bad ones (namely, 2006, Boom and Black Knight), but there were several good to fantastic ones that show that it does translate well to 3D. Especially Sonic Unleashed (and then a bit simpler, but without the bagage, Generations) showed exactly how to make 3D Sonic games work.

More people are into Bayonetta, fucking BAYONETTA, an actual intentionally niche game, than Sonic now. It's DONE. Time to move on Sega. No one cares anymore.
On PC. I would be surprised if Bayonetta really beat Sonic in popularity, when you include consoles.

Generations and unleashed (ps3/360) were crap. Boost boost boost.

But the wii version of unleashed and colors are pretty good. Less so colors because it has a lot of slow awkward platforming while the day stages in unleashed are the best example of 3d sonic. Wherehog aside.

Yeah sonic has overall been quite shit, can't say I care about this team based racer. Jeez man, we could have had a 60fps sequel to racing transformed!

McCheese

Man I loved these games last gen, had great fun doing some old school split screen with the kids.

Wonder why they ditched the other characters, half the charm was unlocking the weird novelty stuff from 90s games.

Is this still by Sumo?

Yoshi

Is this still by Sumo?
Yes.

Wonder why they ditched the other characters, half the charm was unlocking the weird novelty stuff from 90s games.
I would guess cheaper asset creation (only making assets for the series that is still running, which allows shared assets between Sonic Team and Sumo) combined with market analysis that showed that the other Sega franchises only played a minor role in selling Sonic Kart.

Still excited for this and hoping that this is a spin off to All stars really.

They can then use these assets in an All Stars game without too much meddling by Sonic Team.

Saber

Gold Member
Its hard to get interested when they only provides music. Nothing against them, but it feels like this is the only thing that they're confident to show.

McCheese

Yes.

I would guess cheaper asset creation (only making assets for the series that is still running, which allows shared assets between Sonic Team and Sumo) combined with market analysis that showed that the other Sega franchises only played a minor role in selling Sonic Kart.

Oh well, hopefully level variety doesn't suffer from the reduced roster family.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Maybe it's not going so well but I'm sure they've at least been trying to make something cool. Otherwise why not just make a Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Deluxe and call it a day? Such a remaster would have done pretty damn well if you ask me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom