• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teardown - One of the most advanced destruction physics in a game

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Any impressions from someone here who bought it?
I did.
playing on 3700x and rtx 3080. The game crawls when stuff is happening.
Ray tracing is impressive, fire is impressive but it's kinda like minecraft with physics.

As for gameplay, You go around and have to destroy documents or steal stuff without triggering alarms. it gets kinda tedious but is unique and can be fun for those who like planning their routes

Performance wise, I suppose it may do better than something like Unreal Chaos Engine, which we have still not seen implemented in gaming as it is a fairly new feature.

• Fire
Reactions: RNG

GymWolf

I did.
playing on 3700x and rtx 3080. The game crawls when stuff is happening.
Ray tracing is impressive, fire is impressive but it's kinda like minecraft with physics.

As for gameplay, You go around and have to destroy documents or steal stuff without triggering alarms. it gets kinda tedious but is unique and can be fun for those who like planning their routes
You really have slowdowns with that fucking rig??

Inviusx

Does it do the thing where a single voxel will hold up an entire building until you take out every last piece?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Physics seems to be even more demanding than rtx if a game with this graphic can put on his knees that rig...

Noita kinda put my pc on his knees so it's not really that surprising.
Not really surprised by this game tho.

i watched a video of this game the other day..
and this house was still standing on 1 row of voxels and only fell down after that broke.
What physics? Meh

GymWolf

Not really surprised by this game tho.

i watched a video of this game the other day..
and this house was still standing on 1 row of voxels and only fell down after that broke.
What physics? Meh
Ok, maybe not accurate physics, more like massive destruction on screen, still extremely heavy.

Noita is the most accurate physics game by a landslide.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Ok, maybe not accurate physics, more like massive destruction on screen, still extremely heavy.

Noita is the most accurate physics game by a landslide.
Yup that game was instant on my wishlist.
Shame it’s a soso game. Hope they will do more with it!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You really have slowdowns with that fucking rig??
I game at 4k and high settings.. but without depth of field and distortion.
I do run at 50% internal scaling....
Level starts at 60 locked. then during normal play by the end of the level it can go to 30s and lower during explosions.
When I just toy around in sandbox mode and set some more stuff on fire pr explode, I managed to lock the game to 7fps. Even when fires stopped and I came away for some time, it was still 7fps when I came back :p
The engine struggles

GymWolf

So so, average, hit and miss etc etc
Oh.

I thought it was a great old school roguelite, extremely hard but rewarding when you have the perfect run and packed with secrets.

But i'm biased, i dreamed about that game since the reveal many years ago.

Last edited:

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Anyone playing this? Is it worth paying full price?

Well I, for one, think the damn thing is near magic.

I agree that doing mission after mission can be a drain. They take a LOT of thought, focus, and trial+error. But I KEEP coming back to the game because the freedom it offers- at least along certain lines- is pretty staggering. It's filled with that whole 'I wonder if I try this will it-...holy shit! That acutally worked!' magic. Teardown delivers that feeling better than any other game I've played.

I made a video of one mission in particular that I feel really expresses that.

Mato

Well I, for one, think the damn thing is near magic.

I agree that doing mission after mission can be a drain. They take a LOT of thought, focus, and trial+error. But I KEEP coming back to the game because the freedom it offers- at least along certain lines- is pretty staggering. It's filled with that whole 'I wonder if I try this will it-...holy shit! That acutally worked!' magic. Teardown delivers that feeling better than any other game I've played.

I made a video of one mission in particular that I feel really expresses that.

Alright then I've decided to give it a go. It's been on my wishlist since forever.

jigglet

Banned
Its not always a matter of technology but gameplay. Its hard to make a fully destructible game while keeping the gameplay challenging and fun.

Thats why Saints Row series didn't receive the Geo-Mod engine.

This is 100% true. The alpha version of Siege had 100% destructible environments. You can even see evidence of this in the reveal trailer and the first IGN play test. Then in the last Logic Bomb Podcast where they interviewed one of the devs they mentioned how it was utterly unplayable and just not fun, so they introduced beams and some indestructible walls.

Last edited:
Top Bottom