• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teardown |OT| Destroying everything has never felt so good

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Sans_titre.png

unknown.png

Prepare the perfect heist in this simulated and fully destructible voxel world. Tear down walls with vehicles or explosives to create shortcuts. Stack objects to reach higher.
Use the environment to your advantage in the most creative way you can think of.
Developed and edited by Tuxedo Labs
Release date: 29 Oct, 2020 (early access, full release in 2021)
Only on PC

Official_Teardown_Early_Access_Trailer.gif
telechargement.gif

Game modes:

Campaign

With your company pressured by increasing debt, you start accepting work from some more or less shady individuals. Soon you are knee-deep in a murky soup of revenge, betrayal, and insurance fraud.
Beginning with some more or less legitimate assignments, you soon find yourself stealing cars, demolishing buildings, blowing up safes, and more.
Upgrade your expanding arsenal of tools by searching for hidden valuables scattered around the environments.

Sandbox
Play around in the various environments with the tools you have unlocked. In this mode you have unlimited resources and an abundance of vehicles. No pressure, just pleasure.

Create
Build your own environment or modify one of our examples using the free voxel modeling software MagicaVoxel.

telechargement_1.gif
telechargement_3.gif

Features:
Fully destructible voxel environments
Realistic physical simulation of objects, debris, vehicles, water, fire, and smoke
Ten different tools ranging from sledgehammer, blow torch and fire extinguisher to guns and explosives
A campaign with an escalating storyline and a gallery of interesting characters
Sandbox mode for you to roam around in the various environment

Personal opinion:
This is a very good game, the destruction and physics are really impressive and the game already has a great amount of content. I have a lot of fun in planning my heist, trying different roads and the sandbox mode is perfect to messes with the physics.
No multiplayer is sad but I understand the reason, I still hope that the technology evolves enough to allow it in the future. Before you buy, be sure to look the system requirements, the game is heavy with the use of RTX (but don't need an RTX card).

Sans_titre.png

unknown.png

ss_0342f0121fc3569fb2f0eef4792f670522d7e588.1920x1080.jpg
ss_321eb822e3682ba5abb1846a3a0ca02f34996413.1920x1080.jpg
ss_6a693182937ba9e6ac06ba096d2f572d0101a742.1920x1080.jpg
ss_3fae1fe06faa722bd32bc7c144311036f8da3909.1920x1080.jpg

Frequently asked questions:
Teardown is developed by Dennis Gustafsson and Emil Bengtsson.
Also contributing to the project are Douglas Holmquist (music and sound design), Kabi Jedhagen (level design and assets), Niklas Mäckle (assets), Olle Lundahl (level design and assets) and Stefan Jonsson (level design and assets)

Is there support for modding and level editing?
The current Early Access version support importing static scenes from MagicaVoxel. We are planning to support modding with a custom level editor and scripting in the future.
Our documentation and best practices for making and importing your creations in the game can be found here

What game engine are you using?
The game uses a custom physics and graphics engine built for this game specifically. It uses raytracing for lighting, but does not require an RTX GPU.

Will this game support VR
No. The technology works in VR, but I don't think the game is a good fit. There might be other games based on the same technology that are better suited for VR, but Teardown will be a PC game.

Will there be Multiplayer support?
No. I also think it would be cool to play this together with friends, but synchronizing this amount of phsysics over the Internet is very hard and simply out of reach for a small team, if at all possible.

Will there be other mission types and game modes?
What I show in the video is just one mission type. There will be others as well, but most of them are based on the two phases of planning and action.

What will be the price? Will it be free?
Teardown will be in the USD $20 price tier.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Well this looks right up my street. Just need to find some god damn time!

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I think Teardown looks more fun to me than Sector's Edge as the former has more of a grounding in reality, if that makes any sense.

Stitch

Gold Member

If you just want to blow shit up :D

Grinchy

Banned
Without port begging too hard, I hope this gets a PS5 release. My aged PC just can't handle it. I have to turn settings down too low.

I really love the concepts going on, though.

Really good fun - Playing on my 1080Ti at 4K (Render scale @ 75%) and it isn't that smooth. Got my 3080 coming today, so that should sort it.

Game genuinely looks stunning. I remember when the tech demo was shown a few years back too.

Money's a hair right, but I completely intend on getting this after work steadies out.

I saw gameplay on the ol' 1080ti and that bastard was chugging.

Still, I wish this game and it's small team all the success. Looks like they put together something very fun.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's a shame it runs like shit and does not utilize eitehr 3700x or 3080.
When I start some nice destruction and go big, the gpu utilization actually drops. The engine calculates physics but is not using cpu or gpu almost at all.
In sandbox mode, it's super easy to make the game run at 3fps. Just throw some pipebombs. Interestingly, the game will not recover

magaman

Banned
To those wanting multiplayer, the level of bandwidth required to sync everything is simply too high for this to be feasible. Maybe in the future when fiber is a standard.

Stitch

Gold Member

New in this build is Challenges. Yes! Challenges are back, albeit in a slightly different form from the pre-early access versions. There are two challenge types:

Mayhem
Destroy as many voxels as you can within 60 seconds. To assist you in this task you have access to three sets of remotely detonated bombs, with two bombs and a detonator in each set. You are free to prepare your Mayhem, moving propane tanks and such, but as soon as you've destroyed 1000 voxels the timer starts.

Hunted
Valuables are spawned one by one in random locations on the map. Pick up as many as you can. There is no time limit.
Oh, I almost forgot, there is a very aggressive chopper chasing you.

Top Bottom