Tech giants' free pass means they haven't innovated in years

Nov 23, 2010
https://news.sky.com/story/tech-giants-free-pass-means-they-havent-innovated-in-years-11664768

According to estimates by Tommaso Valletti, chief economist at the European Commission's Directorate-General for Competition, since 2001 Google has acquired over 200 smaller firms, swallowing up one every 18 days in the years since 2010.
Some it turned into products: Google Maps and Google Earth, for instance. Many others just disappeared. For Google, both results are wins - either it grows its market share, or it eliminates a potential competitor.

At Facebook, Amazon and Apple it's just the same.

Far from innovating themselves, these companies have been buying innovation at a furious rate.
I was wondering why Elizabeth Warren brought up Apple and Google recently but now it all makes more sense.

These days your business gets killed by health care or you have to go toe to toe with companies on corporate welfare.

Last edited:
Been like this since forever.

I had my 25th year anniversary at work this week and in essence while it's 25 years its with a myriad of companies over the years, thankfully after each acquisition I was allowed to keep my seniority. Most of the time the acquisitions were split apart and any tech worth monetizing was patented when possible and basically ran into the ground until customers moved on.

Apr 15, 2018
This article is a tad bit disingenuous. A lot of start-ups entire goal is to be bought out. They burn cash hoping they will be acquired and fully paid off.

Disincentives to this could easily lead to more start ups and smaller companies taking less risks and hiring less people.

Feb 22, 2018
They've been vacuuming up small, increasingly half assed start ups for decades. Tech giants are incapable of innovation. Once the more visionary startups dry up and monopolistic rot kicks in, the giants begin to die. See Apple for reference.

A lot of start-ups entire goal is to be bought out.
Yeah the useless ones with little long term value.

Last edited: