• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Press Accidentally Prove RTX Ray Tracing ISN'T Ready!

thelastword

Banned
Well, tbh, it's not accidental.....The tech press has been trying so hard to push RTX, even if the customers keep pushing it away and buying non RTX cards instead. GPU buyers are proving right now that high framerates and high resolution is what gamers favor....

Raytracing is like serving a baby a lemon, resolution tanks and framerates tanks, it's a bitter pill to swallow at the degradations to rez and perf with a bigger nuke to your pockets.....(For minimal aesthetic differences, that are not remotely realistic or accurate)…..

Here's Jensen Huang feeding a baby RTX...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The vendetta some people have against RTX is ridiculous.

At least Nvidia are making an effort to advance tech. They wouldn't be able to get away with the silly prices if the competition was up to scratch.

What is with people bro? It's like people think Nvidia will butt rape them if they don't buy a RTX card or something.

Last edited:
I don't know how anyone can be shocked at raytracing not being ready for commercial use. These are first generation ray tracing supported graphics cards. It's going to look primitive within the next three GPU generations. Ray tracing has been the holy grail of computer 3D rendering for decades. Now we have it in real time on commercial grade graphics cards.

Last edited:
This is wrong simply because NVidia is telling us

Oh I didn't know nVidia told us, then it has to be true! :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

oh-wait-youtre-serious-let-me-laugh-even-harder-17927461.png

Last edited:

rickyEGM

Banned
Ray tracing looks incredible in Control. It's definitely not a minimal aesthetic difference, it's absolutely gorgeous and I find myself just staring at my computer looking at reflections in awe.

For something like Battlefield V, it's minimal and I'm not going to lose frames for it, but the future tech of ray tracing is very exciting to me now after playing Control.

llien

Guys,

I thought RTX was only switched off by people with 2070 and below.
But when 2080Ti owners have it off most of the time, what does it tell you?

Imagine us 2-3 years from now, with RT in consoles and all mainstream GPUs, how, do you think, will current gen RTX cards perform?

daninthemix

What I don't get is why it tanks frame rates so hard when its using different hardware - a dedicated chip that without RTX is just sat there doing nothing.

mckmas8808

Guys,

I thought RTX was only switched off by people with 2070 and below.
But when 2080Ti owners have it off most of the time, what does it tell you?

Imagine us 2-3 years from now, with RT in consoles and all mainstream GPUs, how, do you think, will current gen RTX cards perform?

EXACTLY!

manfestival

Man that Toms Hardware "Just Buy It" article sure did something....
That article is hilarious. I almost quoted it just to add more flavor to my posts lol. Also considered mentioning the earnings meeting where the CEO said something stupid along those lines to convince investors that their money is safe

thelastword

Banned
HNIANh6.jpg

$1200 dollars to get the image on the right running at an acceptable frame rate @1080p. It's ludicrous.

Good luck PS5/XBOX Scarlet!
Lol, what's worse is that to push the supposed RTX advantage (you apparently can't live without), they dumb down previous rasterization techniques something fierce.....Where are the cube maps we used before on those glass panes......Where are the reflections we used before and all the SS that mimicked things so well, all gone and dumbed down to push RTX in comparison shots.....because whilst playing you would hardly notice...…...Yet it remains clear that rasterization techniques were much more accomplished in prior games than those trying to push RTX today.....

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Lol, what's worse is that to push the supposed RTX advantage (you apparently can't live without), they dumb down previous rasterization techniques something fierce.....Where are the cube maps we used before on those glass panes......Where are the reflections we used before and all the SS that mimicked things so well, all gone and dumbed down to push RTX in comparison shots.....because whilst playing you would hardly notice...…...Yet it remains clear that rasterization techniques were much more accomplished in prior games than those trying to push RTX today.....

You do make a good point about this.

Let's not give you what you had before, and the only way to get what you had plus more, is RTX.

Graphics content we were used to, is now being held back, like game content is to sell you extra.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

You seriously think this is all a conspiracy?

thelastword

Banned
Ray Tracing is like HDR for me right now.. Meh.

When it's a set standard that just works and is always included with decent results, I'll care.

Right now it's just a way to charge people more for hardware.
Yet, at least with HDR, there's no performance hit or not so much, so if you find it really boosts the image for you or not...….It's hardly detrimental to you either way and you don't have to spend $1200 to play games with HDR at 1080p 60fps......

ethomaz

Banned
RTX Ray-tracking is ready for over a year already.

I don't even understand how this article is trying to say the opposite lol

Keihart

Jeesh, is not rocket science to understand the appeal of having RTX, it works but it's not perfect. That doesn't mean that it's a straw-man.
Sounds like most people complaining weren't around a couple of generations ago when new unoptimized features were coming out every new gen with VGAs and that was in fact a plus of playing on PC, access to a glimpse in the future video game reendering tech.

It is less labor intensive to use ray tracing instead of caring to fake all those effects you know, that is like a big part of it's value. So faking all the ligting effects and then taking those away to activate ray tracing is kinda defeating the whole point.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
You seriously think this is all a conspiracy?
Watch the video, it's all there...….Evidence is there.....You watch the video which is evidence based and you can draw your own conclusions.....

Let's be clear here, you know how many games before RTX was ever mentioned by Jensen would actually have reflections in those glass panes or could shine up objects like you're seeing on the chair or on the phone? You remember Mirror's Edge with all those reflections, you remember MGSV on PC, how about Hitman with it's reflections through glass panes and a million other games.......How about some console games like Spiderman and Infamous......It can be clearly proven that rasterization techniques are much more accomplished than what is visible in Control...

ethomaz

Banned
Watch the video, it's all there...….Evidence is there.....You watch the video which is evidence based and you can draw your own conclusions.....

Let's be clear here, you know how many games before RTX was ever mentioned by Jensen would actually have reflections in those glass panes or could shine up objects like you're seeing on the chair or on the phone? You remember Mirror's Edge with all those reflections, you remember MGSV on PC, how about Hitman with it's reflections through glass panes and a million other games.......How about some console games like Spiderman and Infamous......It can be clearly proven that rasterization techniques are much more accomplished than what is visible in Control...
There is no evidence in the video.

There is assumptions.

Last edited:

Vol5

Control actually looks incredible. Sure, it's 1080p DLSS to 4K, but to say RT is not a game changer is a little misguided. I applaud nVidia for at least trying to move the graphical ceiling a little higher.

llien

It's like people want NVidia to fail

Fail at what, dude?

AMD commands only about one third of discrete GPU market, but 100% of beefy console market.
This means that ultimately it will be AMD who will control the pace at which RT adoption will go, what flavor of it will be the most popular and what would be the baseline "gigarays" figure.
And as we know, AMD will push RT in a major way next year.

Calling out BS (current RTX cards, even the very expensive ones, struggle even with current gen games, what will happen later on???) is just that.

Jeesh, is not rocket science to understand the appeal of having RTX, it works but it's not perfect.
When even 2080Ti, a 750mm monster card sold for $1.3k have it off most of the time, when does it "work" please?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So you guys are saying developers are "IN" on the trick? To trick us into buying Nvidia GPU cards?

No, what I am saying is that some will no longer put in the effort we once had for those without RTX cards. A lot of the basic cube-map reflections are seemingly gone, and less effort in AO/lighting, which would have been there otherwise.

We have games still that have no RTX support, than shit all over non-RTX Control when it comes to those factors. It feels more toned down than necessary.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
I2nSXvr.jpg
I wonder

How on earth did Dice accomplished this before RTX.....I guess we never saw reflections through glass before RTX or any reflective surface for that matter, because in Control, it's just a dark void behind glass.....How about proper shadows of an extinguisher handle.....I guess all these things are just not possible without RTX...

It's not ready the same way we weren't ready for 3d or Pentiums. It's expensive, and the result is pretty shitty but the combo of accelerating BVH and Machine Learning models will be the new Shader Model in the near future. It's just shitty now. Also I can imagine gfx cards becoming really good for Databases all of a sudden!

Last edited:
Top Bottom