• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Techpowerup has listed the specifications of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X

Ascend

Throwing this out here... Exclusives do not determine the success of a console. No really, they don't. Look at the Gamecube. It had great exclusives, but was not really a success. Look at the X360, a handful of exclusives, but deservingly outsold the PS3.

What is the most important is the appeal at launch...

The reason the Xbox One never really got off the ground is because of the mandatory always online 'feature', and Kinect. The backlash as too great, and even though arguably the Xbox One offers more value now than the PS4, it simply could never catch up.

The same thing was true for the PS3. Its launch was simply less compelling than the Xbox 360. The Xbox 360 is known for having only Gears, Forza and Halo as exclusives (although technically that's not true...), and yet it outsold the PS3.

Look at the Wii. It started out so strong, that despite it basically dying in a couple of years, it was miles ahead in sales compared to everything else. You could argue it was the exclusives, but, compare that to the Wii U, which basically has mainly only exclusives and wasn't nearly as successful.

The launch will determine everything, and at this point, I think the Xbox will be more successful.

joe_zazen

real question... was he ever right with something that wasn't pretty obvious anyways? lol

you bet. Guy is a millionaire analyst. Now whether he would share valuable information with gamers on siftd, well that is another question.

I take his quote to mean ps5 will pack a lot of value for $500. is that value going to be in the form of 14 TF? or something like 2TB of reram? Idk

There is a reason why people joke about his predictions and say the opposite will happen to anything he says. He's hardly right about anything.

The reason is it gets repeated enough people believe it, doesnt make it true. He has pissed of nintendo, xbox, and sony fans at one time or another, so lots of hate.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
It's simple dude. Microsoft has a much better track record when it comes to high quality first party games than Sony does. Especially in the last 10 years. You may not agree, but many will agree.

meaningless argument is meaningless.

IMO Sony first party games are almost all perfect examples of bad gamedesign and style over substance mentality.

the only good exclusives Sony published within the last decade were all contract works with third party developers. (Bloodborne, Ratchet & Clank, Spider-Man etc.)
the only actually good games made by in house Studios of Sony were in my opinion The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush.

if it wasn't for other japanese devs releasing exclusives on PS4 or having exclusivity contracts (Ni-Oh) it would be a useless console for me at this point.

Wait..... what????.? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Lemme guess... Crackdown 3, SoT, and SoD 2?

I mean there really are extremists on both sides of the fence. But this is just crossing the line lmao.

Im really curious to see what games you claim are of "high quality" besides Gears 5 which while great, is infested with microtransactions.

Throwing this out here... Exclusives do not determine the success of a console. No really, they don't. Look at the Gamecube. It had great exclusives, but was not really a success. Look at the X360, a handful of exclusives, but deservingly outsold the PS3.

What is the most important is the appeal at launch...

The reason the Xbox One never really got off the ground is because of the mandatory always online 'feature', and Kinect. The backlash as too great, and even though arguably the Xbox One offers more value now than the PS4, it simply could never catch up.

The same thing was true for the PS3. Its launch was simply less compelling than the Xbox 360. The Xbox 360 is known for having only Gears, Forza and Halo as exclusives (although technically that's not true...), and yet it outsold the PS3.

Look at the Wii. It started out so strong, that despite it basically dying in a couple of years, it was miles ahead in sales compared to everything else. You could argue it was the exclusives, but, compare that to the Wii U, which basically has mainly only exclusives and wasn't nearly as successful.

The launch will determine everything, and at this point, I think the Xbox will be more successful.
People also underestimate the fifa/nfl/cod crowds. They barely buy any games but want their yearly franchise of choice to be as good as possible.

Top Bottom