• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Techpowerup has listed the specifications of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X

It seems the smoke did lead to a fire and the contrast is quite stark. I can't see them posting this not only if it wasn't true, but also with this much detail it seems the leaks led to the actual hardware.

Xbox Series X

mjCj5hQ.png

PlayStation 5

aH8Vtvp.png

These are placeholders, specs don't look correct. Why spread the fud?
Why do the specs not look correct? Who are you to say this, there's quite a few intricate details here that couldn't be amassed without access or direct information.

Again with this? How did they even think of putting those specs on? Based on what? Techpowerup used to be quite a trustworthy site but this is quite silly of them
Oh I don't know, maybe the fact that the leaks from AMD have been pouring out.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
12gb and 8gb...?

I believe there is fire with the specs, for sure. And I will say that this all falls in line with what I think will happen (and mean that in most cases it won’t give a huge difference between versions). While x is 12tf, there is more to overall grunt than just one thing, and the PS5 has a decent jump in raw GPU power. Not enough to bridge the gap there, not at all. But the small gap on power isn’t really big enough to make huge waves of all the above is to be believed. MS will still have the power crown, but it won’t exactly be a huge deal.

But 8gb...?

Nah. That’s BS. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the final consoles at 12-16gb. With 12 more likely.

What this will all boil down to is price. If the PS5 really can come in at $100 less then, adios MS.

Last edited:
12gb and 8gb...?

I believe there is fire with the specs, for sure. And I will say that this all falls in line with what I think will happen (and mean that in most cases it won’t give a huge difference between versions).

But 8gb...?

Nah. That’s BS. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the final consoles at 12-16gb. With 12 more likely.

What this will all boil down to is price. If the PS5 really can come in at $100 less then, adios MS.
They could be running a discrete memory setup for the GPU's which is decoupled from the the rest of the system. That would explain the allocation, not to mention the SSD's which are both confirmed as being used as virtual memory.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Techpowerup has been wrong several times just in what I've personally seen and submitted corrections for (they didn't know how to calculate Intel GPU flops years ago (8 ALUs to an EU, Intel kinda does themselves no favors when people compare EUs to shaders!), and they still have the wrong (double) numbers for the Wii U GPU shaders and Gflops)

I'd take it these are placeholders. From my emails to "them" it's mostly one dude trying to keep up with a GPU database, last I checked.

Also...

ghGC6Vp.png

DynamiteCop! DynamiteCop! could you put this pic in OP? It pretty clearly makes this meaningless and this has garnered enough discussion for something with no basis

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I’ll be happy for whoever takes the tech lead, so it’s not that, but I need some context. Is this a generally reliable site? Is it plausible they could have gotten this info?

There's no way one console, whether it be a new PlayStation or Xbox, will have that much more memory than the other. I think it's only really likely in a scenario where the Series X is an upgraded console instead of the base version.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
They could be running a discrete memory setup for the GPU's which is decoupled from the the rest of the system. That would explain the allocation, not to mention the SSD's which are both confirmed as being used as virtual memory.
Out of curiosity, what makes the SSD virtual memory unique compared to past consoles like the N64 which had cartridges?

Developers used it to to help stream textures and level data that would have been impossible to fit in the N64's main ram, but compared to what the PS1 could do, it didn't actually translate into more graphically demanding games. In fact, even the PS1 could technically do the same thing with CD's.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
They database are manually input.
Place holders.

They even say that in red at beginning of the link lol but you choose to make a thread.

“ This product is not released yet.
Data on this page may change in the future.”

BTW they release that entry more than a week ago.

Last edited:
It is an interesting quandary though. Do Sony go for the arms race which MS may be hell bent on winning anyway. Or do they stick with what has already worked well (price) ??

Banned
oh god 🤣 and the fun continues.

I really hope these specs are highly speculative, because if not we might get a WW3 that started with a console war on a gaming forum...

may odin have mercy with us

Stuart360

I know the next gen consoles supposedly have faster SSD's than PC ones, but SSD's are still nowhere close to being fast enough over actual ram. I use 20gb of one of my SSD's as virtual ram, and if a game maxes out my 6gb of vram on my 980ti (which isnt often to be fair), its stutter city as soon as the virtual ram kicks in.

Yes because the ps5 running on its own BSD derived OS is going to support DX 12. Fucking idiots....
That's not how consoles work.
Of course they can, they can cheapen the cost of the system by offloading the memory tasks to the SSD.
I seriously don't see that happening. Because of the need and because of the PR. See our new PlayStation, with the same 8GB of RAM as the PS4!

Not going to happen.

LordOfChaos

Of course they can, they can cheapen the cost of the system by offloading the memory tasks to the SSD.

That has nothing to do with the hardware support

lemming.png

For all the virtual RAM talk, RAM is RAM and NAND is NAND, even something exotic like 3D XPoint/ReRAM, the access times are completely different. Sure tiered streaming between the mediums will be a massive help to load times and world streaming, but compute loads like actual RAM access times, in fact even THAT is too slow, hence cache.

latency_table_a.jpg

I'd bet money against a blueberry that neither will be 8, even if just from a marketing perspective that's suicide.

Frankie the weatherman is a local hero!

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Where did all of these detailed specs come from?

Wow. PS5 only has 8gb ram. Even Xbox One X has more.

1) Placeholders based on what we all know so far
2) Probably not

See above, it's been wrong before with standing entries that are wrong, it's just a guy maintaining a huge GPU database that sometimes needs correction

For all the virtual RAM talk, RAM is RAM and NAND is NAND, even something exotic like 3D XPoint/ReRAM, the access times are completely different. Sure tiered streaming between the mediums will be a massive help to load times and world streaming, but compute loads like actual RAM access times, in fact even THAT is too slow, hence cache.

latency_table_a.jpg

I'd bet money against a blueberry that neither will be 8, even if just from a marketing perspective that's suicide.

Frankie the weatherman is a local hero!
Yes, but if it works as a precache offloading to the SSD you don't need an exceptional amount of physical RAM when it can swap in and out what it needs at any given time.

Banned
He has more contacts of people from the industry than anyone of us

I guess, but it always seemed that he was way off on anything really spicy, and only is close to the truth on stuff that's already pretty obvious to the general public.

which is why I'm asking if he was ever spot on on anything that really mattered, because I don't follow his stuff closely anymore since the GameTrailers days

I guess, but it always seemed that he was way off on anything really spicy, and only is close to the truth on stuff that's already pretty obvious to the general public.

which is why I'm asking if he was ever spot on on anything that really mattered, because I don't follow his stuff closely anymore since the GameTrailers days
I can't think of a single thing he's ever actually been right about.

LordOfChaos

Yes, but if it works as a precache offloading to the SSD you don't need an exceptional amount of physical RAM when it can swap in and out what it needs at any given time.

Then you've added a caching layer but haven't increased the active working set for fast compute. Just the same as RAM is never a replacement for CPUs coming out with more on-die cache. You do also need to keep in mind, bandwidth being taken to stream data into and out of RAM is also bandwidth taken from the total pool to the APU.

Top Bottom