• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Techpowerup has listed the specifications of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I would imagine sony or microsoft would make them pull the specs if they were wrong?
That's always a key point. I don't think MS or Sony cares about random guesses. If the TechPowerUp pages remain, it means they are BS.

Now that 9.2TF github thing taken down. That's different. The only thing so far out of all so-called PS5 and Xbox spec leaks that was taken down. I never saw it, but the file was even more detailed with employee names. Got taken down in a day.

Then you've added a caching layer but haven't increased the active working set for fast compute. Just the same as RAM is never a replacement for CPUs coming out with more on-die cache. You do also need to keep in mind, bandwidth being taken to stream data into and out of RAM is also bandwidth taken from the total pool to the APU.
But this is also another thing I suggested that the VRAM will be decoupled from the system RAM, a more discrete setup that is no longer pooled.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

But this is also another thing I suggested that the VRAM will be decoupled from the system RAM, a more discrete setup that is no longer pooled.

VRAM as in video memory, or virtual memory?

I don't see them reverting from a unified pool in the former case, and I don't see how that helps the case for 8GB in either. You need to take data from the storage into the RAM for it to be useful in a fast manner, and that takes bandwidth to shuffle back and forth, I'm not sure what you're getting at

I don't see them reverting from a unified pool in the former case, and I don't see how that helps the case for 8GB in either. You need to take data from the storage into the RAM for it to be useful in a fast manner, and that takes bandwidth to shuffle back and forth, I'm not sure what you're getting at
Video memory i.e. what is seen here is just memory for the GPU while the system memory would be separate.

Banned

I don't believe in a split pool either but in a console you can specifically have slower ram that is 100% dedicated towards the OS and have the fast memory be 100% free to be used by the game

LordOfChaos

Video memory i.e. what is seen here is just memory for the GPU while the system memory would be separate.

A unified memory pool was called out as something developers really wanted during PS4 development, I don't see them going back. This is a big help to GPGPU performance because shuffling things back and forth through a bus, from the view of a GPU or CPU, is very slow and might make the GPGPU computation not worth doing.

I only see GPGPU doing more and more in games going forward and all consoles for the foreseeable future will have unified memory for it. If I'm wrong we'll see, but I don't think I am.

I don't believe in a split pool either but in a console you can specifically have slower ram that is 100% dedicated towards the OS and have the fast memory be 100% free to be used by the game

Yeah, OS RAM is another matter, I'm talking about the games working set

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

Series X will be stronger than PlayStation 5

Does reading that make your PP's feel small?

Edit: Just to clarify - I'm sold on PS5 not Series X

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There is no DDR6 and the SSD faster as RAM is an atrocious lie.

SSD cache doesn’t substitute RAM... that is why they are calling it cache.

True.

They could be fantastic for instantaneous access speed like RAM, as well as offloading lower end resources that don’t need the full system RAM bandwidth, so it can act as a good virtual caching solution swapping those assets in and out to allow more freed space for heavier tasks.

There is no DDR6 and the SSD faster as RAM is an atrocious lie.

SSD cache doesn’t substitute RAM... that is why they are calling it cache.
Not instantly realizing I forgot to type the G, don't be so obtuse, you know better.

If you can pre-cache you don't need as much physical RAM because the ability to do intelligent load swaps can mitigate the need for additional capacity, this would also drive down system cost.

Series X will be stronger then PlayStation

Even It was the case, in a scenario where the difference is marginal and both are equivalent beasts, thats a Win for everyone.

But apperantly, what I am witnessing lately is some people who had traumas with the Xbox one reveal wanting the ps5 to be significantly weaker like their lives depende on It.

ethomaz

Banned
Not instantly realizing I forgot to type the G, don't be so obtuse, you know better.

If you can pre-cache you don't need as much physical RAM because the ability to do intelligent load swaps can mitigate the need for additional capacity, this would also drive down system cost.
You still needs a lot of RAM.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm weary of all this SSD talk about PS5 and SeX.

For those of your who have PC SSDs, does it really make that huge of a difference in terms of helping your PC have better visuals and performance?

Or is it more of just cutting down on loading time?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

While I believe they’ll be more than 12GB, I agree completely with this. That’s why they don’t need the ‘pie in the sky’ silliness of 32GB like some were hoping months ago.

These are placeholders, specs don't look correct. Why spread the fud?

HOW DO YOU KNOW?? And what if they are?? How are we going to deal with fud then.?

This most likely will be a reality come Nov '20
All of you Elite Army, 2nd Battalion warriors, you need to learn to:

WZXPm6M.gif

But 8gb...?

Nah. That’s BS. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the final consoles at 12-16gb. With 12 more likely.

What this will all boil down to is price. If the PS5 really can come in at $100 less then, adios MS.
It falls in line with the rumors stating that it would have two memory banks for a total of 24GB (8GDDR6 + 16DDR4)... 8GB is what is reserved for the GPU.

9.2Tf - more or less 14GCN Tf - which is more powerful than the Radeon 5700XT, it would be closer to what the 2080 has to offer in therms of raw performance, which is much closer to a top of the line PC that the PS4 ever was.... that sounds pretty amazing to be clear.

So I don't think there is much room to release a console that performs better (if at all), that would be realistic to consider the rumors stating that the PS5 is more powerful than the series X, if only by a very small margin, credible.

Anyway, I can't wait for the final numbers, I want to see how this all turns out.

It falls in line with the rumors stating that it would have two memory banks for a total of 24GB (8GDDR6 + 16DDR4)... 8GB is what is reserved for the GPU.

9.2Tf - more or less 14GCN Tf - which is more powerful than the Radeon 5700XT, it would be closer to what the 2080 has to offer in therms of raw performance, which is much closer to a top of the line PC that the PS4 ever was.... that sounds pretty amazing to be clear.

So I don't think there is much room to release a console that performs better (if at all), that would be realistic to consider the rumors stating that the PS5 is more powerful than the series X, if only by a very small margin, credible.

Anyway, I can't wait for the final numbers, I want to see how this all turns out.
24 GB is laughable, and 9.2tf = 11.5tf GCN.

Pimpbaa

Going back to split memory pools is not cost effective. No console manufacture is going to go back to that.

Does typing that make your PP feel big?
It definitely made mine feel softer, that guy has a way with words, I just gave up and all traces of testosterone left my body forever now.
I know, the prospect of reverting from unified memory though hasn't come up as a likely rumor and seems unlikely to me, so I was just making sure what they were talking about.
I'm trying to put up some form of idea from different rumors by piecing what doesn't directly contradict every other (I play with the interpretations in an attempt to make sense of what's coming), so in the end the xbox could have that 12Tf monster GPU, but it could be a little bit stronger than the PS5's GPU as some developers who apparently worked on them have told us so far (for whatever differences they have in their respective architecture).... since we have rumors that give us both data point, they may not contradict one another in the end.

Ad for the split memory pools, I tend to believe the rumors that say Sony will go with that option that this time around, for both price and performance reasons - but don't quote me on this.

I see no other way to reconcile everything.

There is always a chance that a set of rumors is completely wrong, but as far as I know both consoles remain comparable, baring some pretty big surprise.

It definitely made mine feel softer, that guy has a way with words, I just gave up and all traces of testosterone left my body forever now.

I'm trying to put up some form of idea from different rumors by piecing what doesn't directly contradict every other (I play with the interpretations in an attempt to make sense of what's coming), so in the end the xbox could have that 12Tf monster GPU, but it could be a little bit stronger than the PS5's GPU as some developers who apparently worked on them have told us so far (for whatever differences they have in their respective architecture).... since we have rumors that give us both data point, they may not contradict one another in the end.

Ad for the split memory pools, I tend to believe the rumors that say Sony will go with that option that this time around, for both price and performance reasons - but don't quote me on this.

I see no other way to reconcile everything.

There is always a chance that a set of rumors is completely wrong, but as far as I know both consoles remain comparable, baring some pretty big surprise.
I find it hard to believe people would be praising the ease of development with split memory pools and an alleged secondary chip for Ray Tracing.

This all reeks of bunk to me.

Blade2.0

Nah it still doesn't add up. RAM is RAM. 16GB minimum. Sony knows they can't cheapn'up on RAM.
Yep. They figured that out with the PS3. Hell, last gen they bumped up their rumored 4gb of gddr5 to 8gb last minute because they knew how much it would hurt if they didn't.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

The rumors I've read have said 16GB of pooled GDDR6 memory

Bkdk

it will be hilarious if this turns out to be true with only 9.2 tflops, this is not a ps5, just a updated ps4 pro and only slightly more powerful then Xbox 1 X,

At least I’m glad from rumors 3080ti would be around 20 tflops which makes it a usual next gen console jump, at 10x the tflops of ps4.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
If these specs were correct, and that's a big if, I'd be really disappointed cause I was looking forward to PSVR2 and I'd be hard pressed to purchase a PS5 with these specs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chromata

This is unlikely, we already heard from developers that PS5 and XSX are very close in power. I expect them both to be above 10tf, I'll eat my words if I'm wrong.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
For all the virtual RAM talk, RAM is RAM and NAND is NAND, even something exotic like 3D XPoint/ReRAM, the access times are completely different. Sure tiered streaming between the mediums will be a massive help to load times and world streaming, but compute loads like actual RAM access times, in fact even THAT is too slow, hence cache.

latency_table_a.jpg

I'd bet money against a blueberry that neither will be 8, even if just from a marketing perspective that's suicide.

Frankie the weatherman is a local hero!

I agree 8 GB is too low considering the rumoured speed increase of the SSD’s and even taking in account very fast HW based decompression, but it is a reason why manufacturers are not spending their money trying to get to 32 GB/s or more of main RAM with multi pool setups (8+ GB of fast video memory and 32+ GB of LPDDR4 or the like for “main memory”).

There is a point where you average working set is of such size that increasing a particular resource (say L1 cache) hits diminishing returns and thus you try to both ensure you do not hit the next layer (say L2) and to speed up accesses to it as well as size it appropriately so that you avoid hitting the next layer down (say L3 cache or RAM). In this scenario we are also seeing new API’s given to developers to make SSD access faster and a lot more direct (API’s you are likely not going to see on Windows or macOS for a while, but you can brute force it there where you can afford the extra RAM and VRAM... surely RAM requirements in next generation titles ports to PC will rise).

This feels like trying to move back to SNES/N64/GBA where you could run code and would address ROM (the SSD now) data directly, but the system would still have enough resources above it to ensure the components that needed local data fast would.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Well it is making someone’s bigger and harder for sure 👆;).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
it will be hilarious if this turns out to be true with only 9.2 tflops, this is not a ps5, just a updated ps4 pro and only slightly more powerful then Xbox 1 X,

At least I’m glad from rumors 3080ti would be around 20 tflops which makes it a usual next gen console jump, at 10x the tflops of ps4.

I would be disappointed at the vast disparity too, but I still find it hilarious how doubling the performance would be at the same time good (Xbox One X —> one of the rumoured Xbox Series X) and bad (PS4 Pro —> one of the rumoured PS5) :LOL:.

Last edited:
Top Bottom