• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Techradar: Leaked Red Dead sequel map is real, takes place before Redemption

UnrealEck

It better be on PC or I'm going to be gutted. These games deserve to be perfected with hardware to allow it to perform and look at its best.
First RDR was amazing. Such a well done 'GTA in the early 1900s California'

Gurish

Will we get a remaster for the first game? didn't play it and though I have it on PS3, it's really hard to go back to shitty IQ and performence, what are the chances for a remaster?

packy34

It better be on PC or I'm going to be gutted. These games deserve to be perfected with hardware to allow it to perform and look at its best.
First RDR was amazing. Such a well done 'GTA in the early 1900s California'

This time around there's no reason it shouldn't be.

Will we get a remaster for the first game? didn't play it and though I have it on PS3, it's really hard to go back to shitty IQ and performence, what are the chances for a remaster?

Effectively zero chance of a remaster if the horror stories about the development/code are true in any way. The fact that it never got a PC port somewhat supports those stories.

Gurish

This time around there's no reason it shouldn't be.

Effectively zero chance of a remaster if the horror stories about the development/code are true in any way. The fact that it never got a PC port somewhat supports those stories.

Too bad, hopefully I will feel at home playing the sequel.

Venom Fox

Banned
___

Listen, no need for this. You acted like a self-important a-hole know-it-all backseat-mod, which sure is a lot of "-", you made a fool out of yourself and rightfully reaped the rewards. Accept it and maybe learn something from it if you want or don't and move on, I honestly don't know what to tell you anymore.

You still don't get it, unbelievable.
I'll tell you what is for sure: backseat modding.
Right, we are very much off topic so any further conversation on this will have to be taken to PM'S I'm afraid.

Only thing I'll say here is this.

I was pointing out a fact, same as you are now and was before, there's no difference so that's settled.

Secondly, I accepted I acted like an asshole, I apologised to the person who I directed the post at. I don't see how this is now your problem or why your trying to take this to the next level of argument. I dont owe you an aplogy.

Funnily enough you didn't quote anything in particular, you just replaced my quote with a more damning one of yours to make me look even more foolish.

Your obviously posting here for the forum dwellers to see, it'd make more sense to actually quote what I said and not something which you THINK I said, or what you took my post to mean.

Anyway discussion is now over, anymore questions be sure to fire me a PM and I'll get back to you in a timely manner. :)

The Flash

Banned
is RDR available on the Xbone (bc, not remastered) - and if so, how does it play?

It was temporarily. Some people like me were able to download it before it was removed. It plays just as well as it did on 360 maybe a little better. Looks a lot sharper imo as well.

Turkoop

Banned
Typically R* games take a year's turnaround from announcement to release. And they haven't announced it yet. So that puts it in early 2017 at the soonest.

With that avatar you should know this!

T2 said several months ago that they were impressed by Bethesda's way to publish games, especially with Fallout 4, they want also to have a short time period between announcement & release.

Simo

Thought the colors looked a little pukey, so I tried just black & white. Easier to read now!
M8pJT4V.jpg

Holy crap. Terrific job Mr. Tibbs! OP should include this in the first post!

It seems like even with the big lakes that there's more land mass than RDR and considering how large the open world was in that game, I'm really freaking happy with this map!! lol

Why would they make a prequel? I guess they don't want to deal with the last games aftermath?

Like others have mentioned, Red Dead Redemption was about the end and death of the Wild West finishing up in 1914 with the epilogue.

Going back in time just allows for further things and tropes of the Western and Old West to explore be it the Civil War, Slavery, Frontiersman, Sioux Wars etc.

It was temporarily. Some people like me were able to download it before it was removed. It plays just as well as it did on 360 maybe a little better. Looks a lot sharper imo as well.

I don't have .gifs to describe how I feel right now.

Yeah its aggravating considering the other BC titles that got released temporarily with RDR have been officially released like Tekken Tag and Castlevania: SOTN. Part of me wonders if MS will make it available right after their E3 conference when/if the Red Dead is shown as a preorder bonus?

Here's footage of it running on the Xbox One:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcGmzm9jh_M&feature=youtu.be&t=414

And the original thread when it got put up:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1180698

The hilarious part was when it was up for BC, sales for RDR spiked 414% on Amazon for the 360 version! LOL

I'm also wondering about Bully. We all know GTA VI is at least 3 years away but there's got to be some other projects coming out sooner in the pipeline.

Maybe they're focusing on titles that actually sold? lol Only thing I can find is Bully to date globally has sold under 1 million copies, while RDR so far has sold 15.5 million units.

Freeman76

Typically R* games take a year's turnaround from announcement to release. And they haven't announced it yet. So that puts it in early 2017 at the soonest.

Things change, just because something has been done a certain way in the past it doesnt mean they must always be done that way.

Simo

Thanks guys. I was just excited about seeing what it looked like cleaned up a little. Got a little carried away!

Well your efforts were worth it! Really offered a clearer look at the map and showing how it linked to Redemption's map was great!

Although it'd kind of suck if everything and the map gets debunked. lol

Things change, just because something has been done a certain way in the past it doesnt mean they must always be done that way.

Honest question though, would Take Two release 2 major titles like Mafia III and potentially Red Dead this fall? Or would it be better to achieve equal success and stagger their releases? Mafia III in the fall and Red Dead in Spring 2017.

They've cited how Ubisoft releases their titles so part of me makes me think they'd release them whenever they're ready but like Ubisoft they want a constant flow of games so I'm not sure what Take Two has to do exactly that?

Mr. Tibbs

Well your efforts were worth it! Really offered a clearer look at the map and showing how it linked to Redemption's map was great!

Although it'd kind of suck if everything and the map gets debunked. lol

Haha, it's all part of the rich tapestry of life! Just give us some RD3 details, Rockstar. :)

What release window are you guys expecting? My guess is something before April 30th 2017. To echo what's already been said, I really hope it gets a PC release at some point, the mod community would do some really fantastic things!

Venom Fox

Banned
Haha, it's all part of the rich tapestry of life! Just give us some RD3 details, Rockstar. :)

What release window are you guys expecting? My guess is something before April 30th 2017. To echo what's already been said, I really hope it gets a PC release at some point, the mod community would do some really fantastic things!
Im expecting R* or at least T2 to be at E3 and try and pull a "coming November" this is based on what they said about being inspired by Bethesda's approach with Fallout 4.

Hope they hit whatever window they say it's coming in but I think it'll probably be delayed through to March/April.

Walpurgis

Banned
Thought the colors looked a little pukey, so I tried just black & white. Easier to read now!
M8pJT4V.jpg

Excellent work. It looks like there will be an oilfield and a prison island.

Hopefully the oilfield takes inspiration from There Will Be Blood, characters and all.

Sad about the map size though. It doesn't look much bigger than the first game and the location arbitrarily being right next to the first map is uninspired.

Anarckhy

Neo Member
T2 said several months ago that they were impressed by Bethesda's way to publish games, especially with Fallout 4, they want also to have a short time period between announcement & release.

Is there any chance you can link where they said that? Not doubting you, but sounds very interesting since their recent conference calls confirmed that they will be doing their releases on how they did in the past.

Mr. Tibbs

Here's another little iteration. Filled in some names and used the extracted RDR terrain to provide a bit of mountains to the otherwise flat districts in the original region. Plus, it now shows how the streaming pieces line up. All in one picture now!

S7fpH5B.jpg

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Excellent work. It looks like there will be an oilfield and a prison island.

Hopefully the oilfield takes inspiration from There Will Be Blood, characters and all.
They kinda already did that in Redemption with that small oilfield that is literally called Plainview

dex3108

Sad about the map size though. It doesn't look much bigger than the first game and the location arbitrarily being right next to the first map is uninspired.

Landmass is at least 1.5 times bigger based on Mr.Tibbs map (at least that is how it looks to me). And RDR map was already huge. Also bigger is not always better.

Strawberry is a neighbourhood within the city of Los Santos. I guess you could call it a town which is what it appears as in the RD map. It's possible a lot of these names are just placeholders.

Strawberry in GTA V is Inglewood in real life which is classified as a city.

If the leaked map is correct and consistent with RDR then no part of the sequel takes place in California. I really wanted to play part of the Gold Rush. Oh well

They kinda already did that in Redemption with that small oilfield that is literally called Plainview
Named after Daniel Planview from "There will be blood"!
Landmass is at least 1.5 times bigger based on Mr.Tibbs map (at least that is how it looks to me). And RDR map was already huge. Also bigger is not always better.

Twss!

If it's a prequel surely the best name is just Red Dead?

This is actually the best name suggestion I have read so far.

If there was one game I could play over again with fresh memories it would be Red Dead Redemption. I just wish the multiplayer wasn't hacked to all hell.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
If there was one game I could play over again with fresh memories it would be Red Dead Redemption. I just wish the multiplayer wasn't hacked to all hell.

RDR MP was surprisingly one of my favorite MP console experiences back in its heyday.

But yeah, it's pretty much a cesspool of glitches and hacks now, and just plain dead.

Saya

The villain should be someone like The Judge from Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian. Would be cool to have some references of the book in there.

The Argus

The villain should be someone like The Judge from Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian. Would be cool to have some references of the book in there.

Yes! Such a horrible horrible person. God, McCarthy knows how to write a bad guy.

I would like this to be more Blood Meridian or Border Trilogy realistic than spaghetti western inspired. The original Red Dead definitely was cut from the Sergio Leone cloth, RDR not as much.

Mr. Tibbs

Here's a RD3 Vs. GTA V map based on all the size comparisons to the original RDR found on the net for those that are interested.
XkeLxU2.jpg

Coffinhal

Great work on cleaning up the map. It has to be really dense because there isn't a big jump in terms of size here (compared to what Rockstar's sequels showed us before)

That doesn't mean that they couldn't change their "pattern". We expected GTA V DLC after what happened to GTA IV and RDR, and there wasn't any.

Turkoop

Banned
Is there any chance you can link where they said that? Not doubting you, but sounds very interesting since their recent conference calls confirmed that they will be doing their releases on how they did in the past.

sorry, couldn't find a link :/

Great work on cleaning up the map. It has to be really dense because there isn't a big jump in terms of size here (compared to what Rockstar's sequels showed us before)

That's great. That area was large enough imo. This are is larger and if they could just make it really alive and kicking then it's all good.

KORNdoggy

Holy crap. Terrific job Mr. Tibbs! OP should include this in the first post!

It seems like even with the big lakes that there's more land mass than RDR and considering how large the open world was in that game, I'm really freaking happy with this map!! lol.

as long as the "scale to activity" ratio is better then it was in RDR, that's all that matters imo. RDR had far too many empty stretches of sweet FA. i realize it's the wild west, but jesus christ we don't need 20 minutes horse rides though empty wasteland.

as long as the "scale to activity" ratio is better then it was in RDR, that's all that matters imo. RDR had far too many empty stretches of sweet FA. i realize it's the wild west, but jesus christ we don't need 20 minutes horse rides though empty wasteland.

what..? no! if they go the Ubi route and put completely meaningless fetch quests and literally hundreds of chests everywhere, it will completely ruin the feel of the game world, RDR was just fine the way it was (well actually i found the desert areas to be way too tiny).

i realize there is a middle ground though, heh. but i want it to look and feel so huge you'll get lost sometimes in an empty desert if you stray too far.. and not finding immersion-breaking pointless chests/items every 2 minutes.

hmm i think i just came up with a pretty interesting solution! hear me out GAF: imagine that the actual map was fairly packed with sidequests etc, but if you ventured out of the map's borders you'd get almost endless procedurally generated deserts (or actually designed, if they have the time), prairie, dense forests.. areas where it could be possible to actually get lost, but also find some really rare random events, easter eggs etc, so it would be worth it to try and go explore. so those who want to explore vast "emptyness" could have their fix, and those who just want to get on with their missions and story etc could easily stay on the main map area.

in short: OPTIONAL vast areas of almost emptyness. wouldn't that be a win/win and reasonably easy for Rockstar to implement? what say you open-world fans of GAF? also Rockstar employees if you're reading feel completely free to steal my idea :)

dex3108

I am not sure 100% but i think that they said that in one of the conference calls.

Simo

Man, it's going to be interesting over the coming weeks to see if Rockstar officially announces this. That is if the game does show up at E3...

You know that sneakypressfuck and Kotaku usually deal in a lot of leaks and scoops and I'm surprised they haven't looked into this recent leak or info to corroborate it's authenticity? lol

RoKKeR

Man, it's going to be interesting over the coming weeks to see if Rockstar officially announces this. That is if the game does show up at E3...

You know that sneakypressfuck and Kotaku usually deal in a lot of leaks and scoops and I'm surprised they haven't looked into this recent leak or info to corroborate it's authenticity? lol
I'm interested in this as well. The map is one of the biggest components of R* games, and to have it leak before the game is even announced... pretty crazy. Not to mention the way it was leaked!

Wouldn't be surprised if they dropped something small before E3 and then showed up at one of the press conferences.

Nicktendo86

I am so ready for this. Wish RDR was backwards compatible though, would love to play through it again. Can't be arsed to re-hook up my 360

Here's a RD3 Vs. GTA V map based on all the size comparisons to the original RDR found on the net for those that are interested.
XkeLxU2.jpg

Traversing on horseback with limited fast travel can make any map relatively much bigger than it is.

Maybe i'm a masochist, but I rarely used fast travel while playing RDR. Everything was just so beautiful.

Top Bottom