• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Techradar: Leaked Red Dead sequel map is real, takes place before Redemption

RDR MP was surprisingly one of my favorite MP console experiences back in its heyday.

But yeah, it's pretty much a cesspool of glitches and hacks now, and just plain dead.
Yeah, and if GTAO is any indication RDR3's multiplayer will be this stale, sterile, bullshit.

Simo

Traversing on horseback with limited fast travel can make any map relatively much bigger than it is.

Maybe i'm a masochist, but I rarely used fast travel while playing RDR. Everything was just so beautiful.

Yup! I will say that I used it in multiplayer though when myself and my friends would want to quickly hop over near a Gang Hideout or head to the Fort.

I never used it in single player and even when I used the Stage Coach or train I'd never skip it. lol It was never tiresome riding on horse back and you got to admire everything, not to mention the random encounters or the odd cowboy here and there who you'd see go riding off to side and jump off his horse to take a leak. LOL

MMaRsu

Banned
Uhh why do some of yall

a. think this map is real

b. think the part of the map from RDR is incorporated into this new game?

Simo

Uhh why do some of yall

a. think this map is real

b. think the part of the map from RDR is incorporated into this new game?

Map originated on GAF. OP went to mods to get verification after he quickly realized he put someone and/or himself in employment jeopardy he took the map down but everyone saved it anyway. Mods didn't ban the OP or close the thread prompting more discussion of it being real. 2 days later an outside source and website supposedly has confirmed the map is "real" along with the time frame of the game taking place before Red Dead Redemption.

Nobody is saying Redemptions entire map is also included in the next Red Dead game, Mr Tibbs threw it on there for size reference and that the km markers matched up perfect from Redemptions map to this new one. That and part of the new map does feature the eastern point of Redemption's map including Blackwater, The Plains, Tall Trees and Beeche's Hope.

Also why would Marston be back?

Didnt his Voice actor say he wasnt gonna do that again?

Nobody is saying he will be back. I think some are taking the "taking place before Redemption" and assuming it's a prequel and thus will feature Marston when the likely hood is that it may take place earlier than Redemption but Marston and Dutch's gang will only be a cameo at best?

I want paddlewheel riverboats.
If the map is real then that's almost a certainty as the river on the right represents the Mississippi. If you recall there was mission set inside one in RDR:
latest

If it's set in the Civil War, I hope they include warships like these:

Uss_Cairo_h61568.jpg

MMaRsu

Banned
I know exactly where the map comes from. I was in that thread, but I have severe doubt about the legitimacy of this map.

Why would they include the landmass from the original Rdr? It would make the game huge, maybe too huge.

It was just a gaffer who added that part of the map.

The Techradar source is anonymous, so nobody really has any idea if this source is reliable too.

Just saying, while I have no doubt a new RDR is in development ( I used to work with someone who had family working at R*, and they pretty much told me flat out RDR2 is in development, I even posted that on GAF ), I see no reason assume this map is legit. Or why they would include RDR1's landmass.

I know exactly where the map comes from. I was in that thread, but I have severe doubt about the legitimacy of this map.

Why would they include the landmass from the original Rdr? It would make the game huge, maybe too huge.

It was just a gaffer who added that part of the map.

The Techradar source is anonymous, so nobody really has any idea if this source is reliable too.

Just saying, while I have no doubt a new RDR is in development ( I used to work with someone who had family working at R*, and they pretty much told me flat out RDR2 is in development, I even posted that on GAF ), I see no reason assume this map is legit. Or why they would include RDR1's landmass.

... So shouldn't you know the landmass from RDR was just added in by a Gaffer then?

The only part of the RDR map that was in the leaked map is the West Elizabeth part of this map:

The RDR map was just added in by the Gaffer so that we could see a better comparison between the two.

Simo

Well it could be a younger Marston - I just hope it's not
whoever did Jacks voice
!

It just doesn't make sense to focus on a Younger or any version of Marston since his story came to a fitting resolution. If you go back 10 years to when he was in Dutch's Gang then you're basically being Marston at the lowest point since all he did was loot, rob and kill innocent people until the gang turned on him and left him for dead.

I could see Dutch's gang being mentioned or a possible cameo but the downside of that is timeline wise you're only going back 10 years from Redemption to around 1891, when if you went back further to 1861-1877 then you get to play around at a time when the American Civil War took place to the Great Sioux Wars and so on. So I hope we go back to those times but the railroad being present might make it later than that unless Rockstar really isn't sticking that closely to factual history, and why should they really when it's their own version of the West.

Another thought I had about possible reveals if Red Dead shows up at E3 and Rockstar were to announce it before hand in May or June: Game Informer and Edge Magazine. Rockstar announced and revealed Max Payne 3 as a GI cover story when nothing was ever announced or mentioned and Edge did a re-reveal a couple of years later still before a trailer was released. Of course for GTAV they released a teaser trailer but then the full reveal came in the form of Game Informer cover story. So I could see a cover story from GI and then a footage debuting at E3?

Just some food for though. lol

KORNdoggy

what..? no! if they go the Ubi route and put completely meaningless fetch quests and literally hundreds of chests everywhere, it will completely ruin the feel of the game world, RDR was just fine the way it was (well actually i found the desert areas to be way too tiny).

i realize there is a middle ground though, heh. but i want it to look and feel so huge you'll get lost sometimes in an empty desert if you stray too far.. and not finding immersion-breaking pointless chests/items every 2 minutes.

hmm i think i just came up with a pretty interesting solution! hear me out GAF: imagine that the actual map was fairly packed with sidequests etc, but if you ventured out of the map's borders you'd get almost endless procedurally generated deserts (or actually designed, if they have the time), prairie, dense forests.. areas where it could be possible to actually get lost, but also find some really rare random events, easter eggs etc, so it would be worth it to try and go explore. so those who want to explore vast "emptyness" could have their fix, and those who just want to get on with their missions and story etc could easily stay on the main map area.

in short: OPTIONAL vast areas of almost emptyness. wouldn't that be a win/win and reasonably easy for Rockstar to implement? what say you open-world fans of GAF? also Rockstar employees if you're reading feel completely free to steal my idea :)

why would you assume activity = chests? lol

i'm talking meaningful stuff to do scattered around the world. because beyond the odd "stranger" side quest RDR had nothing.

why would you assume activity = chests? lol

i'm talking meaningful stuff to do scattered around the world. because beyond the odd "stranger" side quest RDR had nothing.

Any ideas of what you would like to see then?

More random encounters?
I was impressed with the quantity already, but what more do you have in mind?
Here's the giant list of the different ones already in: http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Random_Encounters

More challenges? ( Sharp Shooter, Survivalist, Master Hunter, Treasure Hunter )
More mini games? (Five Finger Fillet, Liar's Dice, Poker, Horseshoes)
More bounties?
More gang Hideouts?

Or do you just want more Stranger's sidequests?

RDR was pretty far from being empty to be honest and was just the right amount in my opinion. I'm sure RD3 with it's bigger map will find the perfect amount too.

I have a massive backlog of games that I haven't played and RDR is one of them. Believe it or not, I've begun playing Bioshock and am currently trying to figure out what tonics and plasmids to prioritize.

That being said, is RDR anywhere near Deadwood in terms of setting? I really love the dialogue in Deadwood and hope that the characters don't come off sounding like Yosemite Sam.

And what are the racial populations that are represented in the game? I ask because I'm curious if the Civil War and its fallout happens to factor into the storyline in a major way. Are there real life historical characters. etc?

It's also to my understanding that there was a game that came before RDR, but that it's also PS2 era. IMO, I don't think that there were any good open world titles until last gen. It was sort of like how I could never get into and of the RPG's for the NES after being grandfathered into the genre with Final Fantasy II for the SNES. Were there any good open world titles for the PS2 or Xbox? I know people will cite GTA3, Vice City, and San Andreas, but I always felt that everything Rockstar was trying to do felt spread thin because of the limited hardware.

Bandit1

I have a massive backlog of games that I haven't played and RDR is one of them. Believe it or not, I've begun playing Bioshock and am currently trying to figure out what tonics and plasmids to prioritize.

That being said, is RDR anywhere near Deadwood in terms of setting? I really love the dialogue in Deadwood and hope that the characters don't come off sounding like Yosemite Sam.

And what are the racial populations that are represented in the game? I ask because I'm curious if the Civil War and its fallout happens to factor into the storyline in a major way. Are there real life historical characters. etc?

Unfortunately I haven't seen Deadwood, so I can't comment on that. But the game takes place in 1911, so that's almost 50 years after the Civil War, which is not referenced in any way. But you spend a lot of time in a revolution in Mexico, so much of the racial tensions are between Marston and the Mexican people. There is also some strife with Indians, and there are some black people, but they only populate the game world. There are no real life characters featured in the game.

Takuan

Looking forward to playing Marston from his dirty rotten scoundrel hey-days.

RDR was a stand-out last gen and it's a damned shame the development was chaos. If any game deserved a PC port, it was this.

Pejo

Cannot wait. The last Red Dead scratched an itch I didn't even know I had. I played and enjoyed it for many many hours. I like it better than any GTA. Hope there's a big E3 reveal!

Simo

I don't want to get anyones hopes up for bumping this from yesterday but I wanted to contribute some answers to this member's questions. lol

I thought RDR was actually well written and acted, though perhaps none speak so eloquently as Al Swearengen. lol It's quite a varied cast of characters you encounter and even some of the side missions or "Stranger Quests" are quite something that always don't have a happy outcome or the resolution is just out right disturbing for some.

Bandit1 seemed to answer the rest of your question regarding the Civil War and ethnicity represented.

It's also to my understanding that there was a game that came before RDR, but that it's also PS2 era. IMO, I don't think that there were any good open world titles until last gen. It was sort of like how I could never get into and of the RPG's for the NES after being grandfathered into the genre with Final Fantasy II for the SNES. Were there any good open world titles for the PS2 or Xbox? I know people will cite GTA3, Vice City, and San Andreas, but I always felt that everything Rockstar was trying to do felt spread thin because of the limited hardware.

True but Rockstar pushed the PS2 to it's limits. I mean some of the stuff they did in San Andreas they still haven't been able to reproduce or replicate on current gen systems because of "limitations" such as a character's physical appearance changing if he/she eats like crap or works out. lol

As for the other Red Dead game, it was Red Dead Revolver that wasn't a open world title but of a linear shooter where some levels would actually have to playing as different characters. Red Dead Revolver has a bit of storied development history too: Originally developed by Angel Studios IIRC to be published by Capcom and was of a "arcade" TPS where Capcom wanted it to be more...goofy or weirder I guess with one character having a ability to stick TNT up his ass and then explode it so he could fly around the map. lol
After a while though the project fell into limbo and Rockstar Games ended purchasing Angel Studios, redubbed them as Rockstar San Diego and bought the rights for Red Dead from Capcom. They started fresh by ditching the arcade, weird and goofy approach and made Red Dead Revolver more influenced by the Spaghetti Westerns, even using licensed music from the various known Spaghetti Western composers like Ennio Morricone. It was actually pretty decent and refreshing because hardly any other Western games existed at the time until GUN came out but I'm not sure how it'd hold up today. lol

Rockstar San Diego went on to develop Red Dead Redemption, with zero ties to Red Dead Revolver, after it was unveiled as a early PS3 tech demo at E3. Rockstar San Diego is also the main studio and hub for Rockstar's RAGE engine that they use in all their games and likely the main studio behind the new Red Dead.

Just to finish this post talking about the new Red Dead...I personally thought, or hoping, that one scenario for Rockstar to announce it and debut footage for E3 would come with a Game Informer cover reveal including information and the first screenshots and art, and then at E3 we'd get the first glimpses of footage at MS and Sony's conferences where MS would finally have Red Dead Redemption available for BC.

If thats the case, I guess we'll find out next week. lol

hobozero

I really love the dialogue in Deadwood and hope that the characters don't come off sounding like Yosemite Sam.

I adore the dialog in Deadwood, but unfortunately it's not really that realistic. Turns out the dialog in Deadwood uses mostly modern curses.

In the Old West, bad language was typically blasphemous more than anything else, since people of the period were deeply religious. The show creators thought that blasphemous speech wouldn't have the same impact on modern audiences, so they made the decision to update the language so that audiences would have the same reaction that people back then would.

Really good article about it on Slate.

And yeah, if they would hire some of the writers from Deadwood, historically accurate, that would be fuckin' awesome.

Anarckhy

Neo Member
Coming in with the hope bump. This was posted a couple of days ago on Reddit, but even before on GTAForums.
TUXNOKG.jpg

Looks to me like this screenshot is running on the updated RAGE engine, alongside chromatic aberration. I can also see good foliage. Perhaps an Red Dead Remaster? Thoughts?
P.S. This was pulled from an environment artists portfolio who used to work at R* San Diego until July 2015.

Sources
https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/4lmsai/found_this_gem/
http://mattclyne.zenfolio.com/recent.html
https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-clyne-b20a6123

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://wccftech.com/red-dead-redemption-2-full-map/

Red Dead Redemption 2 received its third official trailer yesterday, showcasing more of the game’s setting, story, and characters. While no gameplay has been shown once again, the trailer did reveal something interesting.

During the trailer it’s possible to notice the names of some of the game’s locations like Cornwall, Valentine, Van Horn and Annesburg, locations that are named in a Red Dead Redemption 2 map that has been leaked back in 2016, confirming that it was the real deal. Things have likely changed since then, but at least we now have a rough idea of how big the final map will be.

Top Bottom