• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[TechRadar] Xbox Series S is now a real threat to PS5

ZywyPL

Banned
Exactly. PS Now is not the Gamepass competitor (it can't be), and I think Sony has realized this as well.

However, PS Plus can be that competitor, and it already has a lead. The quality of free monthly games is already through the roof. In the last 6 months, they have released 5 new games on the service day and date.

Imagine if Sony takes a few more steps this year to make it even more tempting (e.g., get EA Play free with PS+, combine PS Now downloadable library, double the size of PS+ collection, etc.). PS+ can become a very good competitor of GamePass, and if it does it will already have a solid lead of roughly 30 million subscribers.

Having said that, GP growth pace is phenomenal. Plus, the higher price point will have its competitive advantage.

Yeah, they can as well merge PS Now with PS+, add different tiers of PS+, and what's not. The platform is already there, well established, the userbase is also already there, all they need to do is patiently observe the market and make the right moves at the right time.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You have no idea what logistics are required with publishers and developers to create a service like this. Microsoft have been running this for years now and have around 20 million subscribers, that's a huge pull for a publisher to get their game on the service. To say Sony could just ready a service like this and with this level of quality titles from day 1 is absurd.

"Its not too difficult", you mind sharing with all of us how easy it is, since that's a pretty bold statement?

Gamepass is just a download service like PS store and Xbox store but with subscription model on top of it. They already have the tech/backend for that (look at PSNow and PS+).

Sony already brings big games with PSNow and PS+, hell some of the Bethesda titles and from other were even first on PSNow then Gamepass. Really Gamepass is just a stripped version of the Xbox Store. The tech is not different from PSNow, PS+, Xbox Store etc.

It's not about the backend (they already have that), it's about contracts with developers and since the PS is worldwide the most popular gaming brand, multiplatform devs, and smaller devs will not hesitate to partner with Sony as well and bring their gams there.

Last edited:

Murdoch

Gamepass is just a download service like PS store and Xbox store but with subscription model on top of it. They already have the tech/backend for that (look at PSNow and PS+).

Sony already brings big games with PSNow and PS+, hell some of the Bethesda titles and from other were even first on PSNow then Gamepass. Really Gamepass is just a stripped version of the Xbox Store. The tech is not different from PSNow, PS+, Xbox Store etc.

It's not about the backend (they already have that), it's about contracts with developers and since the PS is worldwide the most popular gaming brand, multiplatform devs, and smaller devs will not hesitate to partner with Sony as well and bring their gams there.

Oh I completely agree with you. The only problem is Jim Ryan doesn't think this model would work for PlayStation, so it certainly won't be coming anytime soon.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Oh I completely agree with you. The only problem is Jim Ryan doesn't think this model would work for PlayStation, so it certainly won't be coming anytime soon.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

tumblr_n8e6viYxK91qgr036o3_250.gifv

one and done. 👍

Murdoch

JIm Ryan said this the same month

"We are not going to put new releases into a subscription model. These games cost well over $100m to develop. We just don't see that that is sustainable"

Not "one and done" at all I'm afraid...

...Which effectively is what gamespass is

So either Jim needs to work on his communication skills or you aren't going to get a gamespass type service at all. Just a blend of Playstation Plus and Playstation now as a combined subscription service.

Except 1440p output =/= 1440p rendering.

And XSS can do 1440p rendering; it just doesn't do it in most games.
I guess you're right. Being able to output at 1440p sometimes is different than not bring able to output it at all. Just like being able to use external storage for current generation games is different than not being able to use it at all. Still only the XSS gets criticised for things other consoles lack entirely. It's interesting to say the least.

ZywyPL

Banned
JIm Ryan said this the same month

"We are not going to put new releases into a subscription model. These games cost well over $100m to develop. We just don't see that that is sustainable"

Not "one and done" at all I'm afraid...

...Which effectively is what gamespass is

So either Jim needs to work on his communication skills or you aren't going to get a gamespass type service at all. Just a blend of Playstation Plus and Playstation now as a combined subscription service.

I for one totally get Ryan's point of view. 100M is a ton of money, and the issue here is that their games are SP-only, with barely any DLC support, let alone a MP mode where most profit comes from nowadays. MS games have always been build around MP/co-op experience, where then can sell numerous map/weapon packs, season passes, skins etc., making the "free" GP games totally sustainable, actually the bigger the playerbase the more DLC sales/profits, whereas Sony's profits are almost completely tied with the numbers of copies sold, if they copied GP right now they would've been giving their games basically for free with no return. Ryan might not be well received by the gamers with his interviews, but he and his practices are the reason Playstation brand is so strong financially today.

Murdoch

I for one totally get Ryan's point of view. 100M is a ton of money, and the issue here is that their games are SP-only, with barely any DLC support, let alone a MP mode where most profit comes from nowadays. MS games have always been build around MP/co-op experience, where then can sell numerous map/weapon packs, season passes, skins etc., making the "free" GP games totally sustainable, actually the bigger the playerbase the more DLC sales/profits, whereas Sony's profits are almost completely tied with the numbers of copies sold, if they copied GP right now they would've been giving their games basically for free with no return. Ryan might not be well received by the gamers with his interviews, but he and his practices are the reason Playstation brand is so strong financially today.
I agree. I don't think they should follow suit and bring out a similar service. Their first party games are absolutely second to none and if a gamespass type service would impact the quality then no; I wouldn't want that.

It does make the PS5's value an interesting one though, especially for gamers that own multiple consoles. I forsee finishing around 20-40 games a year on the Xbox through gamespass on a £250 machine. But in this age I'll be expected to pay £450 to play through those 1-2 "must play" games on the ps5 a few years after launch... I think they may need a similar priced product to the Series S ?

John Wick

You have no idea what logistics are required with publishers and developers to create a service like this. Microsoft have been running this for years now and have around 20 million subscribers, that's a huge pull for a publisher to get their game on the service. To say Sony could just ready a service like this and with this level of quality titles from day 1 is absurd.

"Its not too difficult", you mind sharing with all of us how easy it is, since that's a pretty bold statement?
Your absolutely right how could Sony do it? I mean they already have relationships with all the publishers and developers? They also have been running PS+ which gives you free games every month for years. They also have PSNow for streaming various games(which was magically done without publisher or dev consent). Also the ability to download hundreds of games on the service too. I mean wtf do Sony know about it? The fact that Jim Ryan alluded to such a service in an interview but said right now isn't the time to discuss it. You don't know how far along Sony could be with it. So no it's not too difficult for Sony they have the install base and the know how.

Last edited:
Top Bottom