• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tecmo and Koei stock frozen on the Tokyo stock exchange; merger talks underway

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Square Enix gets punk'd!

http://jp.reuters.com/article/domesticEquities/idJPnTK018301620080904

Edit: Super Special Aokage Style Insta-Translation:

Trade of Tecmo and Koei stock at the Tokyo Stock Exchange has been halted as of the PM on the 4th. The evening edition of the Nikkei Shinbun dated the 4th reports that both parties will begin merger discussions.

Zing!

Edit:

Anonymous Japanese genius encapsulates Koei Tecmo in one unforgettable image:

2cmsuqh.jpg

(That's Opoona in his 2ch AA guise).

jiggle

Dead or Alive Musou :O :O :O

Didn't tecmo show some artwork that was inspired by Journey West a while ago? How perfect for that game to happen now.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Jonnyram said:
Nah. Square will just get two for the price of one now :)

Square Enix Taito Tecmo Koei will be epic. Dynasty Invaders Dragon Fantasy Xtreme!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
SumGamer said:
Maybe SQE will buy them after the merge :lol

FF Dynasty Warriors Featuring Ninja Gaiden with the Tecmo Bowl as a minigame that integrates Elevator Action.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Deku said:
Can two 2nd tier JP developers join to become more than the sum of their parts?

they can make two tears on one face instead of one tear on each of two different faces

duckroll

Darkpen said:
:(

I was looking forward to the takeover, too :(

oh well.

I doubt this is the end of Itagaki-gate. Tecmo is going to provide more entainment out of this rollercoaster ride than most of their games do. :D

If they merge, lets hope they don't make an ugly-ass logo like Namco Bandai.

So we have (iirc):
Square Enix Taito Quest
Namco Bandai Banpresto
Takara Tomy Atlus
Tecmo Koei
Konami Hudson
Sega Sammy

Capcom

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
WTF? Takara owns Atlus? I never knew that. :lol

OMG! The Jinsei Game and Choro-Q stuff finally make sense! :eek:

Edit: Apparently they're all owned by Index Holdings since the Takara-Tomy merger.

CTLance

Well, can't say I'm bothered too much by this.
duckroll said:
(...)Tecmo and Koei embrace each other for the brave new future of the business alliance.
Kinky. I want pics of the hot business-on-business action.

I love Koei, so I was really in a "Holy Shit" mood this morning. I'm tentatively interested in what happens here, but I expect a Dynasty Gaiden sooner rather than later.

Whatever happens, I want more stuff along the lines of Samurai Warriors Katana. If they involve multiple relevant IP's for it now...damn...one of the greatest games ever in the style with WiiMotionPlus if it works like a charm.

Troidal

If anyone thinks Square-Enix can acquire Koei... :lol

Depends if the Erikawa family is willing to part their legacy :p

Well this is about 30 times more interesting than Tecmo/S-E. At least with this merger both parties have a chance at making better games(as opposed to having poorer games with nicer FMVs).

Then again Koei games have some hella sweet FMVs. If Tecmo still has a programmer worth a damn working there after the Team Ninja fiasco there could be great things in the future.

dionysus

Yaldog
I predict this only prolongs the inevitable bankruptcy and takeover of both companies. Not sure whether Koei drags down Tecmo or Tecmo drags down Koei.

farnham

Banned
Koei -Tecmo is approximately the same size as Capcom after the merger..

Dont think SE will be able to buy them that easily..

Nintendo
7 550 900 million Yen

Konami
452 000 million

+

Hudson (belongs to Konami)
32 800 million Yen

Square Enix Taito
408 800 million Yen

Bandai Namco
320 200 million Yen

Sega Sami
269 000 million Yen

Capcom
236 500 million Yen

Koei
181 200 million Yen
+
Tecmo
22 700 million Yen

Atlus
8 100 million Yen

AQ Interactive (Artoon+Cavia+FeelPlus+XSEED+Mistwalker)
7 100 million Yen

Falcom
2 800 million Yen

farnham

Banned
dionysus said:
I predict this only prolongs the inevitable bankruptcy and takeover of both companies. Not sure whether Koei drags down Tecmo or Tecmo drags down Koei.
The Synergy Effect of Koei + Tecmo will be bigger then Namco Bandai or Sega Sami though

Koei has franchises like Sangokushi as well as Nobunaga that could use some Tecmo style action..

The biggest thing though is that hopefully Koei will start pulling for these Tecmo guys to influence their decisions on game design.

I'll buy and play every Musou game Koei puts out but My God they need work on design at times. There's a severe lack of consistency and balance when you start tackling the harder difficulties and if they have to get some guy from Tecmo to convince them to stop fucking those things up then so be it.

Even if Tecmo and Koei merge, they will pretty much keep their internal studios very separate. Don't expect a Musou game from Team Ninja.

ram

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Well this is about 30 times more interesting than Tecmo/S-E. At least with this merger both parties have a chance at making better games(as opposed to having poorer games with nicer FMVs).

Then again Koei games have some hella sweet FMVs. If Tecmo still has a programmer worth a damn working there after the Team Ninja fiasco there could be great things in the future.

agree - better than beeing destroyed by square enix...

Elios83

Wow Wada has failed yet an other time in trying to expand Square Enix outside of FF and DQ :lol Shareholders won't be happy, the deal must have been really horrible to prefer a merger with Koei which is a smaller and less important/powerful company.
BTW I don't really like Koei games (all the musou stuff) so I can't say I'm excited about this turn of events.

Top Bottom