• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tecmo Koei expects 1 million sales from Hyrule Warriors

In an interview with Nikkei Trendy, Tecmo Koei Games president Yoichi Erikawa was asked about the company’s goal for the next fiscal year.

In gaming, this is a first-time collaboration. As a new entry in the Warriors series, we plan to release the game Hyrule Warriors in collaboration with Nintendo in the summer of this year. In addition to our Warriors series fan base, Nintendo’s The Legend of Zelda is also a very popular series with a large fan base, and I think it will become a great new market. Because of The Legend of Zelda’s legion of fans overseas, we are aiming to sell more than one million copies worldwide.

Source

L~A

That's roughly 300k per main market... definitely possible, LTD. Provided Nintendo just doesn't drop this without any sort of advertising, this should be doable.

Kinsei

Banned
Pretty realistic expectations. The Zelda name alone will probably get the to at least 1 million sales even if the game itself is shit.

3D World sold over 2 million didn't it? Even with the Wii U's lackluster install base 1 million+ for Nintendo's big series is possible.

impact

Banned
it might be possible.

the game has to review well.

It's a Dynasty Warriors game, so this is just not going to happen. I could see the reviews a tad better from hardcore Nintendo/Zelda fans, but it's still gonna be that same boring DW game they've always been.

RE_Player

What were Skyward Sword's sales on the Wii with it's huge install base? Do they seriously think a Dynasty Warriors type game with a Zelda skin is going to move a lot of units with Wii U's tiny install base? I would prefer Nintendo engage in throwing their franchises to other developers in the way they did during the GameCude, Star Fox Assault and F-Zero GX being the highlights of those types of deals.

Considering how starved for content the wii u is I don't doubt people will give it a shot where they otherwise wouldn't. I still don't think it will get anywhere close to 1 million but around 650k seems reasonable.

javac

I don't think that's going to happen. A niche game in a popular series on an extremely niche console? Eh...

Isn't there only like 4 million Wii Us sold total?

The Wii U has no issue moving titles with really really good attach ratios as long as the game is good people will buy. Looking at the sales so far, a few games have broken the 1 million barrier and that'll only go up as games like Kart 8 and Smash and the actual Zelda release and move more systems.

demolitio

Depends on how it's reviewed. I'm skeptical on its quality to be honest, but if it's good, I'd probably get it at some point.

Using the Zelda name doesn't automatically get you a large amount of sales in my opinion.

Vandole

I wouldn't bet on it, but it could happen. If Mario Kart manages to push 1 million new console sales in the next 4 months, and Hyrule Warriors reviews well it will have what it needs to happen. If you put a Zelda logo on a game that will help it sell a little better by default, and god knows there won't be much else new on the system when it comes out this summer in Japan (or at any other point).

Out of curiosity, how does the Warriors franchise regularly do in Japan?

Josephl64

it's possible in the long run, but I'd be surprised if it happened soon.

This is coming from someone who loves Zelda and DW+SW games...

I mean.... honestly, I've been kind of curious about dynasty warriors for a while. I figured that mowing down herds of weak enemies might be enough entertainment for a single game, even if I never bought another one afterwards. I'm made more likely to actually jump in by the zelda license.

But I don't think there are enough people like me for this to be a reasonable goal.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
That's roughly 300k per main market... definitely possible, LTD. Provided Nintendo just doesn't drop this without any sort of advertising, this should be doable.

Not sure how that's possible on wii u in US. That would put it above wind Waker and like 99% of all games on the system. Actually I think it would make it the 2nd best selling haha.

It'll sell in that much though. Which is what he means tho

Unless Mario kart 8 brings a rennisaunce

I mean.... honestly, I've been kind of curious about dynasty warriors for a while. I figured that mowing down herds of weak enemies might be enough entertainment for a single game, even if I never bought another one afterwards. I'm made more likely to actually jump in by the zelda license.

But I don't think there are enough people like me for this to be a reasonable goal.

Im like you, and talking to a few people, they feel the same, so you are certenly not alone.

I know people that have never played a Musou game and are planning to buy a Wii U because of this game. Circumstantial evidence aside, I think it can do a million.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The only way this had a chance of happening was if this game was called Mario Warriors instead. Zelda doesn't have that the same kind of appeal, especially in Japan.

Paracelsus

Wait, isn't that moderately low? I mean, at one point back in the day DW used to sell a million on its own in Japan.

Unless they are taking into account Zelda in Japan isn't as hot as it used to?

zeldablue

If over a million fans re-bought Wind Waker...

Let's be real here, we'll probably buy a million Hyrule Warriors. Anything with the Zelda name is like crack to me. Lol.

RiggyRob

I hope they achieve that goal, but I can only see it happening if people buy it on the premise of it being a 'new' Zelda game (i.e. people buying it thinking it's the next instalment in the Zelda series) rather than a 'new Zelda' game (i.e. people buying it because it's a Dynasty Warriors game with Zelda characters).

That said, even though I'm not a massive Dynasty Warriors fan, I'll be buying this when it comes out in the UK.

Top Bottom