• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Tecmo X Red X Matrix DS RPG (Wind of Nostalgio)

king zell

Member
Jun 6, 2004
3,408
0
0
36
July 3, 2008 - The folks behind the DS ports of Final Fantasy III and IV are working away on a brand new RPG.

Not interested yet? Well what if we were to tell you that Tecmo's Keisuke Kikuchi, famous for the Fatal Frame series, is serving as the game's producer and Red Entertainment's Naoki Morita, known for the Japan-only Sakura Taisen series, is director and planner?

Still not convinced? Okay, how about this. Staff members of such classics as Grandia (the original) and Tengai Makyo are also lending their talents to this new mega project.

There you go!

Famitsu got the first word this week on Nostalgio no Kaze, unofficially Wind of Nostalgio. This new DS RPG is being planned by Red Entertainment, developed by Matrix, and will be published this Fall in Japan by Tecmo.

Wind of Nostalgio is set in the 19th century. Players take control of main character Eddy, son of a legendary English adventurer. Eddy and a cast of fellow Londoners set off on an adventure that takes them through London and the rest of the world.

A central theme in Nostalgio is flight. Eddy makes use of a dirigible in his travels. When playing, you move about the world through the air rather than walking around on an overworld map. Your air ship also comes into play during battles, as in addition to fighting standard party-based command battles when exploring dungeons, you also engage in air-based battles against other air ships.

Famitsu reports that Wind of Nostalgio is currently 65% complete. The title hasn't been announced for release outside of Japan yet, but we'll let you know if we hear anything
http://ds.ign.com/articles/885/885730p1.html

interesting
 

Tobor

Member
Sep 15, 2006
41,042
0
0
Sounds fantastic. 19th Century Dirigible combat? Sounds really fantastic.
 

thestopsign

Member
Jun 2, 2005
7,839
1
1,325
This sounds very similar to Skies of Arcadia, not that that would ever be considered a bad thing.
 

Link Man

Banned
Apr 2, 2007
13,213
0
1,050
Stopsign said:
This sounds very similar to Skies of Arcadia, not that that would ever be considered a bad thing.
My thoughts exactly. Hopefully it has character customization.
 

Jiggy

Member
Sep 10, 2005
12,563
0
0
Okay, I guess I take back what I said in the Japanese magazine thread about being interested because this looked like a traditional fantasy setting rather than some tweaked version of real-world history, but eh, whatever. I still like its anime aesthetic, its seemingly lighthearted look, and its airships, so I'll continue to be positive. :D
 

justchris

Member
Dec 13, 2006
3,325
0
0
Nashville, TN
Ah, I was looking for info on this. Sounds fantastic. I still haven't seen the scans yet, but if it's even half as fun as Skies of Arcadia, it'll be worth playing. Dirigible battles should be ace.
 

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Jun 9, 2004
27,616
0
0
Brisbane, Australia
One I have to keep my eye on. I like the fact that it's basing itself around 19th century and Matrix's track record on the DS is 100% thus far, so honestly there is literally nothing to worry about.

DS = RPG king.
 

Rpgmonkey

Member
Sep 29, 2007
6,794
0
0
Tenbatsu said:
Who is the artist for the characters? Please somebody help me to crack this mystery!
That's the same thing I was wondering.

The art looks eerily familiar to me for some reason, but I can't remember what it looks like.

Anyway, looks nice. I'll keep an eye out for it.
 

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Nov 22, 2006
9,490
0
1,020
The big new IP jrpg took some time to come but they are sure flocking to the DS now... How long is that console going to stay relevant seriously?
 

ksamedi

Member
Sep 7, 2006
5,854
0
1,150
Rotterdam
Mistouze said:
The big new IP jrpg took some time to come but they are sure flocking to the DS now... How long is that console going to stay relevant seriously?
As long as the games keep coming. And the new ideas as well, I think the DS still has loads of potential for new gameplay concepts. Especially in the rpg genre.
 

Jiggy

Member
Sep 10, 2005
12,563
0
0
Danj said:
There are people talking about artwork in this thread, but I didn't see any images on that IGN link, where are people getting the pictures from?
Answering that would be sort of, uh, bannable. :p
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
2
0
37
speedpop said:
One I have to keep my eye on. I like the fact that it's basing itself around 19th century and Matrix's track record on the DS is 100% thus far, so honestly there is literally nothing to worry about.

DS = RPG king.
Are Lost in Blue 2 and One Piece Gear Shot part of that 100%?
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
2
0
37
Game looks pretty cool. There's actually a rather large Famitsu article on this - it's 6 pages long. The airship designs look pretty varied and cool, and the dungeons and battles look a lot like FFIV. It's a standard turn based 4 character party RPG. Might be interested in picking this up if to shapes up well, we'll see.
 

thestopsign

Member
Jun 2, 2005
7,839
1
1,325
And the art reminds me of Miyazaki films like Kiki's Delivery Service and Castle in the Sky, not bad at all.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
2
0
37
Here are the full credits so far if anyone's interested:

Producer: Keisuke Kikuchi (Producer of the Kagero series and Fatal Frame series)
Director: Naoki Morita (Sakura Taisen series worldview design)
Concept Art and Character Design: Torajiro Tsujino (Tengai Makyou series character design)
Enemy Design: Keita Amemiya (Director of Garo, Cutie Honey the Live, Ultraman vs Kamen Rider)
Airship Design: Takuhito Kusanagi (Grandia 1 character design, Kamen Rider Agito design works)
Planning: Red Entertainment
Development: Matrix
 

ivysaur12

Banned
Dec 28, 2005
39,514
0
0
duckroll said:
Here are the full credits so far if anyone's interested:

Producer: Keisuke Kikuchi (Producer of the Kagero series and Fatal Frame series)
Director: Naoki Morita (Sakura Taisen series worldview design)
Concept Art and Character Design: Torajiro Tsujino (Tengai Makyou series character design)
Enemy Design: Keita Amemiya (Director of Garo, Cutie Honey the Live, Ultraman vs Kamen Rider)
Airship Design: Takuhito Kusanagi (Grandia 1 character design, Kamen Rider Agito design works)
Planning: Red Entertainment
Development: Matrix
What an eclectic group.

Also, what has Matrix developed?
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
2
0
37
ivysaur12 said:
What an eclectic group.

Also, what has Matrix developed?
DQVr (PS2), FFIIIr (DS), FFIVr (DS), Lost in Blue 2, One Piece Gear Shot, some other crappy licensed stuff that no one cares about.
 

Desi

Member
May 15, 2007
4,233
1
860
Baltimore
can't say I am very interested i this. So far the designs and concept hasn't clicked with me. If their take on history can be quite entertaining I am all there.
 

ivysaur12

Banned
Dec 28, 2005
39,514
0
0
duckroll said:
DQVr (PS2), FFIIIr (DS), FFIVr (DS), Lost in Blue 2, One Piece Gear Shot, some other crappy licensed stuff that no one cares about.
Those don't inspire much confidence :-\
 

sennin

Member
Jul 1, 2007
588
0
0
Airships = interest + 2. I'm keeping an eye on this, among other games. We'd see how things work out. I'm more prone to support new over established IPs.
 

ivysaur12

Banned
Dec 28, 2005
39,514
0
0
Aeana said:
They... don't?
Nope. The FF and DQ remakes, while great games, already have the foundations laid out before hand. And SE was most likely heavily involved in making sure it ended up ok. Stuff like Lost in Blue 2 seems to be more telling, since they had to develop it from scratch.

The premise of this game does sound awesome, but my anticipation is a little lowered after hearing what else this developer has done.
 

Aeana

Member
Jul 10, 2006
42,062
1
0
ivysaur12 said:
Nope. The FF and DQ remakes, while great games, already have the foundations laid out before hand. And SE was most likely heavily involved in making sure it ended up ok. Stuff like Lost in Blue 2 seems to be more telling, since they had to develop it from scratch.

The premise of this game does sound awesome, but my anticipation is a little lowered after hearing what else this developer has done.
But Matrix's role in this project is exactly the same as it was on the FF and DQ remakes: code monkeys. They're not responsible for the game design, and they've already proven their technical prowess many times over.
 

ivysaur12

Banned
Dec 28, 2005
39,514
0
0
Aeana said:
But Matrix's role in this project is exactly the same as it was on the FF and DQ remakes: code monkeys. They're not responsible for the game design, and they've already proven their technical prowess many times over.
Hmmm... ok. I assumed that they had a larger role in development. Ok, never mind. Expectations cleared.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
2
0
37
I don't think their role in Lost in Blue 2 is more telling. That's a Konami game too. Something like Avalon Code would be more telling, since that seems to be a Matrix game in every way possible, and MMV is just publishing it. It's not out yet though.