• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen who won Fortnite championship swatted at home.

TacosNSalsa

"Kyle "Bugha" Giersdorf, 16, of Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, just two weeks ago rose to the top of the gaming world winning the $3 million grand prize in the Fortnite World Cup, the biggest "Fortnite" tournament to date. He was even a guest on "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon" and the "Today" show.

But this past weekend, he and his family got some uninvited guests: Armed police came to their door.

Kyle was live-streaming a game of "Fortnite" on Twitch Saturday when he was interrupted by his father who said the police were here."

"The caller told police "he was Kyle and said that he shot his father multiple times with an AK-47 and had his mother tied up and bound in the garage," said Corporal Albert Werner of the Upper Pottsgrove Township Police Department.

Police called the home before entering, and Kyle's father answered and came out of the house. "Everything was fine," Werner said.

The caller came from "an overseas area, somewhere out of the country," he said."

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The first time they dont take it seriously and there is death... well... and yes they did call before entering the home. So they took it seriously and safely for both sides.
So if we say, I am doing studying in my house, and someone to be funny calls the Swat, they get into my house quietly and throw me to the ground??!!!

Last edited:

jadedm17

I'm still curious on protocol.....
First comment nails it, but isn't it common enough now that someone that high would tell the police? As far as I know smart streamers let local authorities know they stream and that sometimes people do this ridiculous thing, provide their address, and hopefully avoid issues. Maybe that's what the "phoned the father first" part implies he did?

lukilladog

Whit all respect.

The Swat team is supposed to be the best in the United States, they have no common criteria when it is a joke and when not?

They violate civil rights and break the law left and right on almost every interaction with citizens, they have very poor criteria and are trained to be profesional liers.

Ps.- Obviously I´m gonna get lol faces, most people aren´t familiar with their rights and laws so they never notice all the stuff cops get away with.

Last edited:

Neolombax

Why can some people be so salty?

Also, I'm curious now as to how the authorities verify such calls? Do they not have the tech to do this? It is the US of A after all.

If you swat someone, you're a piece of shit

sNUJsTp.jpg

Probably some grown ass dude who has an iq of Timmy Tenders did this. Honestly this sick joke cost the life of an innocent man. Seriously an ass beating needs to happen if they ever catch who ever is responsible.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
How do people get swatted again? Do you give people out your location?

The caller came from "an overseas area, somewhere out of the country," he said."

Then why did respond?

Last edited by a moderator:

Paradicia

Just as well his Father answered the door but knowing US police, he would have been shot for raising his hands in the air.

Acidizer

Banned
Respect to the police for having brains and not killing innocent people. They phoned them up... it's like the work of a genius.

"Alright, you being held hostage?"

"No"

"No-one been shot with an AK-47, no?"

"No, I'm eating supper"

"OK, we'll be round just to check"

It's pathetic these numb nuts Rambo wannabes going in all tooled up to these without doing even the most minimal of due diligence. They make a tragedy out of a prank call and fuck all happens to them.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

What a lame! I don't understand how meatballs have time for this? Go outside and get some kitty instead of playing on the phone.

dorkimoe

I thought a lot of these popular streamers told local law enforcement that there was a potential for this. Such a fucking stupid thing to do to someone.

Yeah i call bullshit on the story
lol what? It happens all the time. You dont think someone online can find your location? He just won a 3 million dollar tournament, give me an hour and I could find his address based on his name being published in the papers.

Nero_PR

Banned
Whit all respect.

The Swat team is supposed to be the best in the United States, they have no common criteria when it is a joke and when not?
This must fall under the category: every threat could be a real threat. Only arriving on the scene can bring the truth. Real life is complicated since you can't really say when you'll have a false-positive phone call or real murderer out there. But then, you have people with the lack of common decency that use the police for this kind of prank.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
No one was hurt, and any press is good press. This'll get him some more viewers and probably a few millions of more dollars. Hard to feel offended in any way at this news.

Last edited:

flacopol

Whit all respect.

They love to enter a house and do that, they don´t want to do a minimum check to avoid the chance of not enter to a house a play the CSGO in real life

Also do that to a player... is very stupid

mckmas8808

Banned
They violate civil rights and break the law left and right on almost every interaction with citizens, they have very poor criteria and are trained to be profesional liers.

Ps.- Obviously I´m gonna get lol faces, most people aren´t familiar with their rights and laws so they never notice all the stuff cops get away with.

NO! You are 100% correct! Anybody that doesn't understand or believe what you are saying either doesn't live in America, is living under a rock, or are themselves apart of law enforcement.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Swatting has to be the most vile practice to come out of videogame culture. There has to be a better ways to screen prank calls from the genuine distress calls for the police. Also, there should much more severe consequences for the assholes who pull this shit.
They definitely do; this being the legal precedence they're starting with, and will move further towards the smaller stuff now that the main point has been set
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...s-sentenced-20-years-death-kansas-man-n978291
You bet your ass that America will start extraditing people from countries we have extradition treaties with for this.
How do people get swatted again? Do you give people out your location?
Doxxing is pretty damn easy to do; teenagers do it, it doesn't take some master mind hacker to obtain your information

You can pull their information from a lead list if you know where to get them, and it can even be free.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
This must fall under the category: every threat could be a real threat. Only arriving on the scene can bring the truth. Real life is complicated since you can't really say when you'll have a false-positive phone call or real murderer out there. But then, you have people with the lack of common decency that use the police for this kind of prank.

Ok, I agree, but they must have a call tracker, who can't put a fine or punish the caller, at least in my country it's considered a crime with 2 years in prison.

Easily if they would do that to me as a "joke" I file a complaint and demand it easily.

I mean, they put a squad into my house and destroy it, that for me is invasion of private property and harm to my person.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Doxxing is pretty damn easy to do; teenagers do it, it doesn't take some master mind hacker to obtain your information

You can pull their information from a lead list if you know where to get them, and it can even be free.
This is only possible if you have some sort of social media no? Or if you put your name out there.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
This is only possible if you have some sort of social media no? Or if you put your name out there.
Nope! Not at all
In the USA, If you have a credit or debit card, own a car, have ever had a job, gone to a public school, etc; anything that can be and is in a database has been replicated some where else, either by things like selling of your marketing information, hackers stealing it (And subsequently no laws to deal with companies who do have data breaches...), data back ups, etc.

Name got mentioned on your school web site as a kid? If it's still archived somewhere (Wayback machine and web crawlers) they can find it. One step closer to being able to get the information they're looking for.

I'm one of those horrible IT people who helped set up a lead list generation product for financial loans
None of those people on those lists were interested in loans at all, they just met certain criteria (Obfuscated certain information on the individual but meets the range) like: Credit score within X-Y range, location, age, yearly salary, etc
Would return just about all pertinent life information in a spreadsheet of 1000's of people, didn't even need a name
**Since this was financial stuff, you DID have to have a business license and a good rep with financial instructions/credit bureaus to be able to purchase, not kidding when I say they have blacklists that get sent out from the major players. Work with someone who's black listed and you are too.**

Lead lists are a huge market, and you can find a lead list for just about any industry out there, and you wouldn't even need a business license to get the lists in a good amount of cases.

Mind you, that's just ONE way they can get your information. There are an infinite number of possibilities of ways to obtain your information, with most of them being free.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Nope! Not at all
In the USA, If you have a credit or debit card, own a car, have ever had a job, gone to a public school, etc; anything that can be and is in a database has been replicated some where else, either by things like selling of your marketing information, hackers stealing it (And subsequently no laws to deal with companies who do have data breaches...), data back ups, etc.

Name got mentioned on your school web site as a kid? If it's still archived somewhere (Wayback machine and web crawlers) they can find it. One step closer to being able to get the information they're looking for.

I'm one of those horrible IT people who helped set up a lead list generation product for financial loans
None of those people on those lists were interested in loans at all, they just met certain criteria (Obfuscated certain information on the individual but meets the range) like: Credit score within X-Y range, location, age, yearly salary, etc
Would return just about all pertinent life information in a spreadsheet of 1000's of people, didn't even need a name
**Since this was financial stuff, you DID have to have a business license and a good rep with financial instructions/credit bureaus to be able to purchase, not kidding when I say they have blacklists that get sent out from the major players. Work with someone who's black listed and you are too.**

Lead lists are a huge market, and you can find a lead list for just about any industry out there, and you wouldn't even need a business license to get the lists in a good amount of cases.

Mind you, that's just ONE way they can get your information. There are an infinite number of possibilities of ways to obtain your information, with most of them being free.
Okay so how would I get swatted if I don't have my name/face online or even stream?
No twitter either? :lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes:
You get what I'm saying now?

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Okay so how would I get swatted if I don't have my name/face online or even stream?
No twitter either? :lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes:
You get what I'm saying now?
I do, and I'm saying you don't need social media to find that information
It's not that your information isn't already out there, it's that no one cares enough to pick you as a target, not to be meant in a negative way.
Criminals have bigger fish to fry is all

Your choice on whether or not you want to think just having a social media account is how your info gets out there
For hackers, it's just another way to verify and collect information, on either a short term or long term basis /shrug

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I do, and I'm saying you don't need social media to find that information
It's not that your information isn't already out there, it's that no one cares enough to pick you as a target, not to be meant in a negative way.
Criminals have bigger fish to fry is all

Your choice on whether or not you want to think just having a social media account is how your info gets out there
For hackers, it's just another way to verify and collect information, on either a short term or long term basis /shrug
Oh I'm sure all of our info is out there since corps usually sell it to people in one way or another. But like I said the people that do this kind of shit go after people that stream or are heavily invested in social media.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Oh I'm sure all of our info is out there since corps usually sell it to people in one way or another. But like I said the people that do this kind of shit go after people that stream or are heavily invested in social media.
If it's popular to do to "celebrities," some dumb ass some where is already doing it to try to be popular with their crew of friends

A weapon can be pointed anywhere, so swatting isn't limited to popular people.
Fake police calls that end in raids on a house by swat teams and such are by no means a new thing, it has just gained media attention because of it happening to "famous people."

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
If it's popular to do to "celebrities," some dumb ass some where is already doing it to try to be popular with their crew of friends

A weapon can be pointed anywhere, so swatting isn't limited to popular people.
Fake police calls that end in raids on a house by swat teams and such are by no means a new thing, it has just gained media attention because of it happening to "famous people."
Swatting goes back to people fucking with public places/schools not individuals in general up until a few years ago. It doesn't really happen to people that stick with SP games, :) 9/10 times it will happen to a streamer these days.

Top Bottom