• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles |OT| Nickelodeon made a funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
I'm kind of surprised that people think the problem people are having with April is that she isn't sexy?

When I was a little girl, April was my hero. There were lots of action shows with one female character, but only two of those characters ever did badass shit--April and Gadget. In a world where I was supposed to "identify" with Janines and Webbies (FUCK WEBBIE ARRGHGH) April was a total badass with an apartment and a job that was on television! She had a sick van and she was always pushing the limits of what she was supposed to do in the name of JUSTICE. When she fell in love with Casey Jones, so did I.

April was hot--I mean, she wore a jumpsuit and you could see what we all called the "boob line" before we knew the word "cleavage," but she was also hot because she was a badass. This wasn't a real actress that little boys were hoping to catch a jiggle off of. This was an action hero with a chest, and ain't nothing wrong with that.

Also, April never needed a "father figure." Barrrrrrf! Barf! All day long! You can almost smell the impending Leonardo-Raphael love triangle. We have Korra for that shit. April is a goddamn REPORTER.

MisterHero

I'm kind of surprised that people think the problem people are having with April is that she isn't sexy?

When I was a little girl, April was my hero. There were lots of action shows with one female character, but only two of those characters ever did badass shit--April and Gadget. In a world where I was supposed to "identify" with Janines and Webbies (FUCK WEBBIE ARRGHGH) April was a total badass with an apartment and a job that was on television! She had a sick van and she was always pushing the limits of what she was supposed to do in the name of JUSTICE. When she fell in love with Casey Jones, so did I.

April was hot--I mean, she wore a jumpsuit and you could see what we all called the "boob line" before we knew the word "cleavage," but she was also hot because she was a badass. This wasn't a real actress that little boys were hoping to catch a jiggle off of. This was an action hero with a chest, and ain't nothing wrong with that.

Also, April never needed a "father figure." Barrrrrrf! Barf! All day long! You can almost smell the impending Leonardo-Raphael love triangle. We have Korra for that shit. April is a goddamn REPORTER.
It's so weird knowing that Peter Laird had no idea what to do with her in the Mirage comics. And that's supposed to be the authoritative version!

If she's just a kid that hangs out with the turtles, it's treading old territory. She did nothing for most of the 2k3 series. Still, that means there's a lot of potential for character development.
lol

Ela Hadrun

It's so weird knowing that Peter Laird had no idea what to do with her in the Mirage comics. And that's supposed to be the authoritative version!

If she's just a kid that hangs out with the turtles, it's treading old territory. She did nothing for most of the 2k3 series. Still, that means there's a lot of potential for character development.
lol

I can't tell if you're trying to call me on being a bad nerd for talking about cartoon April instead of Mirage April, or if you're agreeing with me that April should be an adult.

Anyway I still like April O'Neil a lot and I don't like an April O'Neil who writes in her diary that Splinter is the closest thing she has to a father figure.

Full disclosure: I am a jerk who actually liked Venus deMilo sorry

MisterHero

I can't tell if you're trying to call me on being a bad nerd for talking about cartoon April instead of Mirage April, or if you're agreeing with me that April should be an adult.

Anyway I still like April O'Neil a lot and I don't like an April O'Neil who writes in her diary that Splinter is the closest thing she has to a father figure.

Full disclosure: I am a jerk who actually liked Venus deMilo sorry
I'm agreeing that she needs to be given something to do. The cartoon added something substantial that the original creators couldn't. I have a lot of the Mirage comics but they're not as fun as the cartoon or even the Archie comics.

I'm trying to say that 80s cartoon April is a boss. :p

Ela Hadrun

I'm agreeing that she needs to be given something to do. The cartoon added something substantial that the original creators couldn't. I have a lot of the Mirage comics but they're not as fun as the cartoon or even the Archie comics.

I'm trying to say that 80s cartoon April is a boss. :p

Great! High fives! :D

there are tons of clips (sub-HD sadly) here on this video podcast feed
http://www.nick.com/sbcom/data/scenic/itunes_podcast.jhtml?podcast=TMNT

Don't forget: Saturday at 11am -- the 1 hour premier on Nick :d I am optimistic.

(there are some reports that there will be a sneak peak at the pilot Friday evening... check your listings)

There's some HD clips on iTunes

http://itunes.com/tmnt

season pass is only $29.99 (1080p, 720p), that's only $1.15 per episode
There will be a sneak peek on Friday. The brah let it slip in the cowabunga corner video.

A.E Suggs

Ok I just saw a preview of this during impact wrestling. Why of all places would they advertise it there? This isn't WWE it would make much more sense to do it there.

mjc

I saw the figures at Target and I was reallllly tempted to grab them. I actually really like the design of them.

Platy

I have mixed hopes for this .... the clipes showed some awesome scenes and VERY GOOD animation.... but at the same time it had some bad stuff =/

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

lol

I thought she made an interesting sister for the turtles, particularly towards Don. She did "nothing" on the grounds of many episodes occurring outside New York.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
On a related note, the title of this thread is telling :lol

Nick has disappointed with Samurai, I wonder if this is the same fate.

DonMigs85

I find their new van a bit too boxy. The old van was more distinctive.

Shellraiser_pu1.jpg

I'll give it a try, but I'm not too confident about the show. I do like how it tries to bring 2D elements to 3D (impressive feat), but I'm not digging the art direction and Splinter just looks freaking horrible. I keep seeing his face more as a hamster or a goat.

character-splinter.png

vs the 2003 one. Even though brown is the official color, I like this the most.

TMNT+2003+Episode+1+-+Splinter.png

Prax

I actually..
Did not mind the intro song! It was catchy!
And I LIKED the training clip.

The only parts I inwardly cringed toward were the forced anime-esque emotional bursts (and I like anime and am usually a fan of such things!). Teen Titans had these problems in the first few episodes as well. It just seems out of place or trying to hard to be something it's not instead of naturally seguing in. I am sure the flow will get better as they make more episodes, but yeah.. :I

Other than that, it looks fun! Hopefully April is cool despite my not liking her design right at the moment.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Personally, I think this looks really, really good. I'll be watching it day one with my 4-year old son, who is going to go nuts over it.

G-Fex

All original cartoon April did was (since I recently watched the old series) completely do the opposite of what the turtles wanted her to do (stay out of trouble). She was if anything maybe worse than Lois Lane, she intentionally got herself into trouble then expected the turtles (whom she was always snarky and not always nice to) to rescue her. They go through all the trouble of saving her from Shredder and even going through time or like other planets just to rescue her. And she repays them by bringing by a pizza once in a while.

She was damn damn lucky to have them on her side.

Plus yes the animators made her looking sexy and it was sorta the trope that stuck with her.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I've rewatched a lot of the classic episodes recently and G-Fex is pretty spot on. April doesn't help out all that much and falls into the damsel-in-distress trope more often than not.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I really hope that's not a jab at the 2003 TMNT, cause Baxter Stockman was black in the original comics.
Not at all. It's in reference to the proposed changes Nickelodeon was considering at one point. The NY Times article I posted discusses it.

NY Times said:
A plan to have Splinter die was scrapped. April, the Turtles’ human friend, will not suddenly be African-American, as envisioned at one point. Early on, Nickelodeon nixed a drastic proposal to send the Turtles to a Hogwarts-type school

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/30/a...t-ninja-turtles-retooled-for-nickelodeon.html

G-Fex

I wouldn't have a problem with that.

It's the horrible sending them to a school thing that would've been real stupid.

Oh yeah, Nick. I asked for this. This is what I really, really wanted.

Now get Fred Figglehorn to voice The Shredder and your failure will be complete.

Platy

Jesus, were they high? Kill Splinter? Hogwarts?! smh

Also, the art direction looks HORRIBLE. Just atrocious.

I really liked the art direction ... it has a cool TF2 feel and makes each turtle very distinctive even if they took their bandanas =3

Didn't the original comics had a plot where Raphael killed splinter to win Shredder trust and then try to kill him ?

also .. wtf hogwards.

Don't have absolutly no problem at all with changing April's skin color.

Rootbeer

Banned
New turtles figures appearing in stores. some ebay sellers from the west coast already putting them up.
RauDW.jpg

k1Z4b.jpg

The third new figure is Fishface, but no sign of him yet.

RPGCrazied

Will give it a watch. The voice cast is strong. I don't really like Donatello design, mainly the space between his teeth. I know he is a geek/nerd, but they could've given him glasses, but he never wore glasses. Going to keep expectations low. Also, not liking the new April either. A teenager? She's a reporter damnit.

About an hour to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom