• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

tmnt-shredders-revenge-splinter-new-cropped-hed.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Jun 16, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (Jun 16, 2022)
  • Xbox One (Jun 16, 2022)
  • Nintendo Switch (Jun 16, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (Jun 16, 2022)
  • PC (Jun 16, 2022)
Trailers:

Developer: Tribute Games

Publisher: Dotemu

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic:

JIqPmGe.jpg

MetaCritic:

opLgOYt.jpg

Critic Reviews​

GamingTrend - Anthony Shelton - 70 / 100
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge feels like it's designed from an Ninja Turtles arcade beat 'em up template, which strips it of creativity and originality and makes it feel predictable and familiar. But the fluid combat continually sucks me back in, even though that also suffers from combat designs that should've been left in the past.

Hey Poor Player - Francis DiPersio - 5 / 5
Look, I know I’ve been piling on the praise in this review, but believe me when I say this is a game that deserves every last bit of it. I’ve probably played hundreds of them over the years. However, precious few manage to do what Dotemu and Tribute Games have managed to do here. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge is nothing short of lightning in a bottle; one of those rare examples of a game that simply doesn’t miss a beat from the moment it starts until the credits roll. Sure, you may come for the nostalgia and irresistible retro-inspired presentation, but it’s the rock-solid core mechanics that offer the perfect balance of depth and approachability that will keep you coming back time and time again. If that sounds even remotely up your alley, then go, ninja, go, ninja, go and add this game to your collection. It’s a true testament to Turtle Power.

Kakuchopurei - Jonathan Leo - 90 / 100
TMNT: Shredder's Revenge is a hella fun and cheery beat-em-up that feels meaty and doesn't wear out its welcome, especially with friends. And when's the last time you've touched a Ninja Turtles game with this much love dedicated to the franchise and its 90s 16-bit & arcade video game legacy? Exactly.

Nintendo Life - Tom Massey - 9 / 10
Two years in the making, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge is the best Turtles beat 'em up ever made, and a faster, better-looking, and more entertaining affair than even Streets of Rage 4. It looks delicious, sounds superb, and rekindles childhood memories beyond all expectation, time-warping you back to 1987. Its combat system is so much fun to mine that you feel compelled to keep coming back to try new strategies, and with its awesome multiplayer the experience evolves again and again. Like any beat 'em up, it does get repetitive as you enter the last third, but that's more a fault of the concept than the game. Our only regret is that we didn't use anywhere near enough puns in this review, so let's close by saying Shredder's Revenge is an unprecedented shell-ebration.

Gaming Instincts (@Elder Legend) - 8.0/10.0
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge features groundbreaking gameplay rooted in timeless classic brawling mechanics, brought to you by the beat ’em up experts at Dotemu (Streets of Rage 4) and Tribute Games. Bash your way through gorgeous pixel art environments and slay tons of hellacious enemies with your favorite Turtle, each with his own skills and moves - making each run unique! Choose a fighter, use radical combos to defeat your opponents and experience intense combats loaded with breathtaking action and outrageous ninja abilities. Stay sharp as you face off against Shredder and his faithful Foot Clan alone, or grab your best buds and play with up to 6 players simultaneously!

PC Gamer - Dominic Tarason - 79 / 100
This heartfelt, engaging reprise of a classic falls just shy of greatness due to a lack of fresh ideas and endurance.

Polygon - Nicole Carpenter - Unscored
Quote not yet available

Prima Games - Lucas White - 10 / 10
Shredder’s Revenge feels like it was made by people just like me, for whom Turtles in Time was a formative experience. It’s like a tidal wave of nostalgia crashing into technological advancements, new ideas, evolved talent, reverence and a dash of ironic self-deprecation.

Push Square - Push Square Staff - 8 / 10
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge is a superb beat-'em-up that captures the spirit of Konami's coin-op classics, but modernises them in all the right areas. With smooth combat, gorgeous presentation, and rock-solid rollback netcode, it all adds up to deliver a super fun experience.

SECTOR.sk - Matúš Štrba - Slovak - 8.5 / 10
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge is an awesome blast from the past that will bring you the joy of 80s arcades and massive co-op. The game is as fun as all those Konami classics that we loved as kids, but with some new twists. It could be a bit longer and better balanced though.

Saving Content - Ed Acosta - 5 / 5
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge tickled all my nostalgia keys, and it harkened back to the feeling I got when playing with my turtle action figures in my younger days. Days I would hop between battling toys to turning on my NES to play the TMNT Arcade game with my brother. Even with the license’s low points over the years, Shredder’s Revenge feels like a proper revitalization of a series I’ve grown up loving. So to answer my early question, yes, a modernized 2D brawler in the classic TMNT arcade style can revitalize these four heroes; I just love being a turtle!

Seasoned Gaming - Patrick Shields - 10 / 10
This amount of love, passion, and execution must be rewarded, as anyone who plays the game will immediately know that they are playing one of the greatest beat-em-up brawlers of all time.

The Outerhaven Productions - Karl Smart - 4.5 / 5
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge is a really good game in its own right, capturing the look and feel of the Konami-era arcade games that fans have wanted to see come back for decades. However, when compared to other fan-made efforts (You know the one I'm talking about), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge feels like it was just the same exact concept done with a bigger budget yet more limitations.

WayTooManyGames - Leonardo Faria - 9.5 / 10
More than simply a love letter to the golden age of arcade beat ’em ups, as well as the franchise as a whole, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge is both Dotemu’s and Tribute Games’ best title to date. It is a quasi-perfect arcade title that perfectly blends fanservice, fantastic controls, a downright pristine presentation, and some chaotic fun with up to six players at once. I am so glad this game ended up exceeding my sky-high expectations.

Lords of Gaming (@schaft0620 ) - 9.0/10.0
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge is not just the best TMNT game in the past 30 years, it is one of the 10 best games released in 2022. I would rank it among the best 2D brawlers in recent history. The only things that I could possibly ask for are better matchmaking, a full collectibles library, and a sequel.

Last edited:
Great scores.

Has anyone mentioned if you need to use the analog sticks at any point to play this? Want to know if i'll be able to use my Switch SNES controller.

graywolf323

Gold Member
looking forward to trying it out on Game Pass, I'll probably get it on Switch or PSN eventually during a sale to better play with friends though

Any insight on how doable the achievements are? I see a couple like beat the game without using a credit, and beat Shredder without taking a hit, that at least *sound* impossible.
I haven't attempted them. But they do sound quite difficult. I am sure some nutcase will do it.

Any insight on how doable the achievements are? I see a couple like beat the game without using a credit, and beat Shredder without taking a hit, that at least *sound* impossible.
That's honestly encouraging. If the game is actually that mechanically sound that it can be done, then I'm more interested. I expected it to be a bit more random like old beat-em-ups that get cheap hits in and eat your quarters.

nkarafo

Why so many reviewers compare this to the arcade version?

This is more like the SNES version. The arcade Turtles in Time played like hot diarrhea.

Nydius

Have it preloaded on Game Pass but also preordered on Switch for times I want to whoop Shredder's ass on-the-go.

Looking forward to it.

Now if only we could get a firm release date on the Cowabunga Collection...

Last edited:
Top Bottom