• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 3 sold 8.3 million worldwide (1.4 million is from Japan)

Just a random little bit of sales info on Tekken 3 that the series director: Katsuhiro Harada dropped on Twitter that I thought that some might be interested in.

「3」からの人は多いですね。家庭用「3」は全世界で836万本(日本では140万本)なので最大 RT@bassyoi 俺が初めてやったのは鉄拳3だったなぁ RT RT History of - Tekken (1994-2014): http://youtu.be/Lvy8tbTBDjg

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/435665958451953664

'There were a lot of people around during Tekken 3. Home ports (PS1 version) of Tekken 3's worldwide sales are at 8,360,000 and 1,400,000 of which are from Japan.'

I think this put Tekken 3 as the second most selling fighting game title of all time, underneath Super Smash Bros Brawl iirc.

Oh and while we're all here, this is a must watch for any fans of the Tekken Ball mode in the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxSaZ7mzNMA

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm not surprised. Everyone and their mother (literally) played that game. The amount of hate I've gotten for abusing Phoenix Smash was... tremendous.

Dahbomb

I think this put Tekken 3 as the second most selling fighting game title of all time, underneath Super Smash Bros Brawl iirc.

If you add up all the different SF2 versions then SF2 would be higher.

entremet

Lovely game. The last Tekken game I cared for. The PS1 port, while not arcade perfect had some amazing extras.

That game was everywhere back in the day. Every arcade, bowling alley, and pizza joint had a cabinet, and all my PS1 owning friends had a copy.

Lots of Eddy scrubs

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Still angry this isn't on PSN. Amazing game.

i still think that Namco/Harda did a giant disservice to the series for not releasing Tekken 6 as a launch title,
On a related note I Still need to give a proper chance to the FTP title.

Trojan X

Banned
Tekken 3 had universal appeal as a fighting game. It's still played in many arcades worldwide today.
Definitely a universal fighting game but i haven't seen the game in the arcade for more than several years, both in UK and Japan. In comparison, you have more luck finding vf2 than tekken 3 in the arcades but, of course, that has nothing to do with popularity.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Still waiting for Nextgen Tekken 1080p@60fps

MrT-Tar

somewhat related question: Why was it that Tekken Ball wasn't included in any Tekken game from 3 until TTT2? I've always remembered it as really popular, and I can't see why it took so long to return.

Definitely a universal fighting game but i haven't seen the game in the arcade for more than several years, both in UK and Japan. In comparison, you have more luck finding vf2 than tekken 3 in the arcades but, of course, that has nothing to do with popularity.

It's more popular in third world countries I'd say.

braves01

Banned

I saw a Tekken 4 cab at a Regal theater recently. I really wanted to ask how much they'd want for it.

chemicals

Playstation version of Tekken 3 (and Tekken 2 for that matter) is one of the greatest total packages as far as fighting games on a console. AND on top of that, it's one of the best fighters ever made. There. I said it. What!

Just the base arcade modes would have made them great enough, but the extra modes and minigames are just out-of-this-world good. Can't praise Tekken 2 and 3 enough. stopping now.

Lewpy

Banned
I was literally blown away when I saw T3 running on the PSX for the first time. To have a port so close to the arcade available at home, while also being able to take my newly learned skill set into the arcades at the same time was incredible! And that Arranged soundtrack...

entremet

Playstation version of Tekken 3 (and Tekken 2 for that matter) is one of the greatest total packages as far as fighting games on a console. AND on top of that, it's one of the best fighters ever made. There. I said it. What!

Just the base arcade modes would have made them great enough, but the extra modes and minigames are just out-of-this-world good. Can't praise Tekken 2 and 3 enough. stopping now.

Is Tekken Ball in TTT2. I don't remember it.

Sgblues

Yeah Tekken 3 was the game that got a lot of people into the series and for some into 3D fighters if they had already started with Tekken 1 and 2 or Virtua Fighter. It was pretty rough going for many people who, couldn't deal with phoenix smashes or King's chain grabs.

I remembered I had bought issues of Gamepro with the move lists inside and I was begged and pleaded with to bring to school for people to write stuff down in the back of their notebooks or asked to bring it with me when I went to the arcades with my friends.

And yeah soundtrack is damn excellent, I listen to it almost all the time.

Is Tekken Ball in TTT2. I don't remember it.

Yeah the WIIU version

Salex_

One of the best fighting games of all time, along with Tekken Tag Tournament 1 and T5DR. I hope the next Tekken moves away from the T6 gameplay mechanics.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I'm not surprised. Everyone and their mother (literally) played that game. The amount of hate I've gotten for abusing Phoenix Smash was... tremendous.

It's never abuse when suckers eat it for free.

Strategy is only necessary when the opponent calls for it till then abuse all the combos that you know that work.

Terra_Ex

Unsurprising, it was a great game back in the day, I remember playing it often with friends. Shame the roster was missing Kaz.

Top Bottom