• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 3D Prime Edition |OT| Ohh, Excellent!!

alazz

What's the item customization? I can't remember any of the one's I've played having it. I am somewhat disappointed that there're no extra modes. Force was stupid fun.

Fuck Revelations. This is my next 3DS game.
Hahah, I got the same feeling. Forgot it even existed up until a week ago, despite that awesome Nintendo Conference trailer. Namco's kinda kept it under the radar.

fernoca

What's the item customization? I can't remember any of the one's I've played having it.
Tekken 5 onwards, the games started including (ridiculously priced) customization options for the characters. You could buy with in-game currency: Items, accessories, sometimes silly stuff you could put your character like a bag or a teddy bear and make it unique if anything.

It was cool, but sometimes the prices were so..awful for some really simple things, like having to pay to have your character shirtless. Then again, Virtua Figther 5 was also like that. Remember having my Akira at a high rank, and collecting all orbs..3 times, just to be able to pay for the option to have him shirtless.

In Tekken 6, sucked having to spend all savings just to have Miguel without a shirt. It was worth it, but come on!! :p
...and I did it on Xbox 360, PS3 and PSP :p

Forgot this was coming out so soon. I'll pick it up eventually, Jan/Feb/March has way too much stuff I want.

In Tekken 6, sucked having to spend all savings just to have Miguel without a shirt. It was worth it, but come on!! :p
...and I did it on Xbox 360, PS3 and PSP :p

Heh, I did the exact same thing. "You want Miguel shirtless? 1 million Tekken bucks please." :/

Sayah

What's the item customization? I can't remember any of the one's I've played having it. I am somewhat disappointed that there're no extra modes. Force was stupid fun.
There was no force mode in Tekken 6 and you don't really want to be asking for the scenario campaign mode.
Customization, on the other hand, is pretty big in Tekken now and it's surprising this game is lacking it.

Some examples:

Xiaoyu
j1P9Iv7ClXW22.png

Lili
jsGjpml701P4r.png

alazz

Oh okay, that does look cool. Man that would've been a neat feature.

Are the touch commands usable online? It seems like they could be abused. I never did play SF4:3D but I heard some very mixed things about its online implementation.

Luigiv

There was no force mode in Tekken 6 and you don't really want to be asking for the scenario campaign mode.
Customization, on the other hand, is pretty big in Tekken now and it's surprising this game is lacking it.

Not really. The game had a dev cycle of less than 1 year. Porting all those custohmisation assets over would have taken a lot of time. You can't just shove them all into an automatic downres algorithm and expect them to come out alright. You'd need artists to go over every individual asset and hand tweak them to make sure they look good plus you'd need to do a heap of QA to make sure the customisation doesn't cause any glitches.

fernoca

Wasn't there a Tekken Advance?
Yeah. Was quite good actually too.

All the talk about the lack of customization on the 3DS version, made me remember how on the planned Wii U version; it's precisely that what they've been showing around. Customizing backgrounds, drawing stuff over characters, etc.

Sayah

Two Tekken 3DS reviews are in:
Nintendolife - 7/10
ONM - 81/100

If you rely solely on single player content for fighters, then this game probably won't suit you. If you play competitively, then this game definitely should be considered. Mostly all your single-player time will be spent in practice mode anyway.

Really a shame there is no item customization. Don't think the lack of a story mode is anything major to complain about, though. You have a movie.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm so debating on going to get this. I mean I really would have fun with this. Plus my best friend just said he'd pick it up with me if I got a copy. So we could play online together.

Problem is while SP being lacking isn't a big deal to me, this game just screams price drop by March. I feel like as soon as I get this it'll be $30 somewhere if not $20 like DOA is currently.

Plus I'm worried the online community will fizzle out too quickly ala DOA and so it won't really be worth owning with the lack of SP stuff.

sarcoa

Just tried an online match and it went...ok. First game was flawless with a stable framerate, second not so much and three or for instances of lag.

Also shitty, you have to select a "main character" when it first boots and only that character can be used in online matches. Meaning if you want to rematch someone, it's a straight up rematch of the same two characters. To change it you need to go back to the main menu and reselect someone else. Huge pain in the ass for public matches, but hey at least it has a legit infrastructure mode.

Vanillalite

Just tried an online match and it went...ok. First game was flawless with a stable framerate, second not so much and three or for instances of lag.

Also shitty, you have to select a "main character" when it first boots and only that character can be used in online matches. Meaning if you want to rematch someone, it's a straight up rematch of that same character. To change it you need to go back to the main menu and reselect someone else. Huge pain in the ass for public matches, but hey at least it has a legit infrastructure mode.

That sounds like a pain in the ass.

Why does this game seem cool in gameplay, but seem like a cluster in all other aspects?

alazz

Problem is while SP being lacking isn't a big deal to me, this game just screams price drop by March. I feel like as soon as I get this it'll be $30 somewhere if not $20 like DOA is currently.

Plus I'm worried the online community will fizzle out too quickly ala DOA and so it won't really be worth owning with the lack of SP stuff.
Pretty much. My nearest gamestop doesn't have it in-stock so I may wait a week or two to see if the price fluctuates. Still excited to get it though.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Got it, played a bit of it, quick impressions:

-The game seems to be Tekken 6 with TTT2 Heihachi and no rage system.

-The character models are noticeably better than TK6 PSP, but some animation is still missing (bounce :p)

-Backgrounds feel empty and lack animation. There also appears to be less stages than TK6, however some are hidden. There's also new stages and BGM tracks.

-Sound quality seems pretty good (without headphones). Nice and loud.

-Controls work well enough, however you have to set the L and R buttons and touch panels for EVERY CHARACTER. I can understand the touch panel customization, but for L/R this makes no sense.

-The game runs at a rock-solid 60FPS, even with 3D on. Impressive.

-Character customization is gone. You can only alter character colors. No third outfits either. Lame.

-Although people have said the modes feel "bare bones," I kind of disagree. You get Survival, Quick Battle (essentially an endless arcade mode), Versus (online and local), and Practice. For Tekken, what feels missing is story mode with endings. Guess they figured the shitty movie was enough. :p

-From what I tried, online play is pretty good. Yes, you can have awful, lag-filled matches, but you can also have incredibly-smooth bouts with minimal lag. When I played against opponents with good connection, the online play easily topped SSF4 and DOA Dimensions. Yet I'm reading that people think it sucks. Odd.

-You cannot select a character when playing ranked matches online. Whoever you set as your main in your profile is your character. This is incredibly stupid and very annoying. FWITW BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend on Vita is similar when playing ranked matches online, however you can at least select the one character you want to stick with first.

Get this game if you want to have some good portable Tekken online action on the go. Avoid if you need meaty single player content/customization.

Looks pretty good, I'm not really an online fighter player though I like single player content so it doesn't sound like its for me.

Seems like the ground work was established nicely and maybe a Tekken 3D2 could expand on everything and get the 'full' experience next time.

Hopefully this one does well then lol.

I got it today and I played a quick battle with Paul, my old main. I haven't really played Tekken since Tekken 3 though. I'm quite rusty and they've changed a lot of moves.

I'm disappointed that there is no arcade or story mode and no CG endings. Quick battle is a decent enough replacement for arcade mode. It's basically the same thing with no story or endings. But the CG endings were always one of Tekken's main attractions. I guess the movie will do for that though. Maybe they didn't have enough room for endings with the movie in there or something.

Besides that, I think the game turned out pretty well. It runs buttery smooth, looks pretty good, and the controls actually work pretty well if you make good use of the shoulder buttons and touchscreen. I think it's actually easier to play this than Street Fighter 4.

Vanillalite

Got it, played a bit of it, quick impressions:

-You cannot select a character when playing ranked matches online. Whoever you set as your main in your profile is your character. This is incredibly stupid and very annoying. FWITW BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend on Vita is similar when playing ranked matches online, however you can at least select the one character you want to stick with first.

Get this game if you want to have some good portable Tekken online action on the go. Avoid if you need meaty single player content/customization.

Who the funk would EVER think this is a good idea? SMH...

beje

Banned
The amount of game modes and character customsation is really underwhelming at this point of the console's life, especially considering that DOA:D is absolutely packed for a first gen game and even included free DLC for a lot of extra clothes for most main chars. Online seems like a PITA too, and combined with barely no single player at all that means I'm waiting for bomba on this one.

Thanks for the impressions, Lyte Edge. Definitely sounds like something I want, but will be waiting for a price drop or two on. It's a minor thing, but really disappointed by lack of ability to customize!

I am admittedly new to Tekken. Any good primer guides out there?

Well here's a start....

Tekken 3DS features the T6BR mechanics and cast with the exception of Heihachi being in his TTT2 form.

You can find a 101 guide here but it's quite detail heavy but should get you started.
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=113442

The Tekken OT here houses a pretty digestible and presentable view of the mechanics but do note that you gotta disregard information exclusive to TTT2. Bandwidth heavy too with so many gifs :love:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=443772

Other then that just play and discover on your own really. If you see some cool shit you can't figure out there are the information above in the links and well you can just ask here. :)

Vanillalite

Texted with my best buddy last night while we played Kart together. We decided to keep watch for a sale, and if/when that happens to alert the other and we'll pick it up. To many annoying issues like the 1 fighter choice for online unless you back out and go back in to pay the full 40 bones for.

That or we just play the wait for Tekken x SF.

Galdelico

I'm disappointed that there is no arcade or story mode and no CG endings. Quick battle is a decent enough replacement for arcade mode. It's basically the same thing with no story or endings. But the CG endings were always one of Tekken's main attractions.
This.

I know I'm now part of a minority, but I still appreciate when a fighting game leaves a little room to the lonely warrior. :)
I loved KoFXIII (man, I'm still playing it in order to unlock all the edit artworks) and DoA Dimensions: they did right imo in setting up the fair amount of reward for single players... Not too demanding to leave you bored halfway through, not too lackluster to depress you after 5 minutes.

It has to be said: after SCV (kind of shocking to find out it had so little to offer, in terms of SP goodies) and SFxTekken (where these goodies have been 'upgraded' to DLC), I had low expectations on Tekken Prime.

Is the Tekken Cards collecting thing any worthy?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
One thing about the online mode- There's also a player match-style option, but it appears to just be for people on your friends list. This may not lock character choices. I have no idea since nobody on my 3DS friends list is ever online and/or has this game.

Give me the endings over that shitty movie, but Tekken 6 PSP didn't have the story mode either. TK6's campaign mode was a mediocre beat-em-up style game focusing on Lars. BTW.

The arcade-style story mode was just a few matches and then the ending movie. Not something that someone looking to play single player would get much out of.

What's really missing is here is a robust ghost battle mode like Tekken 5 DR PSP offered.

Picked up mine at Gamestop yesterday. Impressed with how nice it actually looks in motion, from the screenshots the graphics looked bad. Plays great, haven't had to use the touch screen yet.

Unimpressed by how limited it truly is when it comes to modes. Kinda ridiculous to think they compromised the customization this much just to include a badly compressed (pixelated video and cheap audio) movie. I'm a huge Tekken fan, so the gameplay being nearly perfect as it is makes it worth having for me.

How do I execute a command grab (on Jin)?

Command grabs, as Jin you mean? Everyone has the basic 1+3 and 2+4 grab but then there are special ones. Say Jin has....

Tidal wave - uf+1+2
Shun Ren Dan - df+2+3
Complicated Wire - d,db,b+1+3 (It's reverse fireball motion and Left punch and Left kick ^^)

I haven't got the game myself but there should be a move list in the game, check it and most of the throws should be near the bottom of the list.

Top Bottom