• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 Dev on X1 & PS4 Cross-Play "Please ask Sony"

LewieP

Doesn't sound like this dev is going on any more information that what we already knew, rather than explicitly saying Sony are a roadblock.

Regardless, I think we're at the point where Sony need to publicly address this.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Sony:

giphy.gif

They don't even have anything setup it seems. Much more of a generic answer unlike the previous devs.

Edit: Also, the hype for random matchmaking or voice less rooms cross play seems pretty high for what's being provided. We aren't getting friends chatting with each other anyways, so half the reason for my excitement is gone.

It'll never happen. The network effect of console ownership is a huge reason why people choose one over the other. As long as Sony has a market advantage, they are burning money by opening up console cross-ply.

leeh

Doesn't sound like this dev is going on any more information that what we already knew, rather than explicitly saying Sony are a roadblock.

Regardless, I think we're at the point where Sony need to publicly address this.
I agree, even if they don't want to, I think it's the silence which is annoying. If they addressed it and said they're not interested in doing cross-play between consoles, then at least we have a stance.

DieH@rd

Banned
Sadly, if Sony allows this it could be perceived as giving advantage to MS. MS is in more badly need for something like this.

But hopefully it will happen one day.

WaterAstro

Has he directly talked to MS and ask for Cross-Play with PS4? Because it's pretty stupid for a game designer to assume that a vague blanket PR statement means that they're allowing it.

In a vacuum Sony doesn't have much to lose by allowing this. Tekken has traditionally been a Sony-preferred platform by the fanbase, both for legacy and controller reasons. Very little risk in losing sales or anything like that. Probably sets a precedent that they don't want to follow though.

Sure would be nice to get a big time competent attempt at a cross-platform fighting game though. SFV is still pretty jank in this regard.

Yudoken

Ok, now it's the time.

Someone has to start a twitter campaign or whatever to get Sony to finally approve it, they had months to do this and games like Rocket League are ready to allow full xplay multiplayer.

Unite PC, PS4 and Xbox one players.

If we get Sony to approve Rocket League all other games in the future will be able to do it too!

And yes, if you take the Rocket League devs by word than Sony is thr one who did not gave them the approval yet.

They're waiting to flip the switch.

LewieP

I agree, even if they don't want to, I think it's the silence which is annoying. If they addressed it and said they're not interested in doing cross-play between consoles, then at least we have a stance.

I think all signs point towards Sony being open to doing it, but not ready to publicly discuss it, or give devs the final go ahead.

It also needs to be reiterated that we are not fully aware of exactly what terms or limitations MS are putting on devs wanting to do cross-platform multiplayer, but we do know that they have prevented some games from doing so.

2thepoint

Sadly, if Sony allows this it could be perceived as giving advantage to MS. MS is in more badly need for something like this.

Exactly.

As much as it would be cool, I really doubt Sony would like to have Microsoft piggybacking off their huge playerbase.

Microsoft are welcoming this because they need it far far more than Sony - where was this talk when Xbox 360 was the leader? Surely it could've been done back then just as easy as now?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member

Pretty much. MS gains everything for cross platform play, while Sony gains little. MS wants thier people to have bigger multiplayer pools and leverage Sony's success. Sony would rather MS have few players on Xbox and hope more come to PlayStation.

sam777

Pretty much. MS gains everything for cross platform play, while Sony gains little. MS wants thier people to have bigger multiplayer pools and leverage Sony's success. Sony would rather MS have few players on Xbox and hope more come to PlayStation.

What bullshit lol. How does MS gain everything exactly there is nothing monetary involved for them and I am pretty sure even though Xbox is way below PS in terms of userbase it still has a large playerbase.

Has he directly talked to MS and ask for Cross-Play with PS4? Because it's pretty stupid for a game designer to assume that a vague blanket PR statement means that they're allowing it.
Microsoft opened up Xbox Live for all developers to create a cross play environment this year. No permission needed other than build it into your game.

wapplew

“There's been a lot of noise about this recently. There were certain statements made at E3. But our position has always been that we're receptive to this,” he said. “It's something we've been doing for many years now. I think we started with cross-platform initiatives on PS2 in fact, in the early network days of that. There are a number of instances on PS3: when you upgraded from the PS3 to the PS4 generation on GTA V you could take your save cross-platform, we've also seen it with Final Fantasy. We're completely open to this. It's really down to the developer and publisher of a certain game to come and talk to us and we're ready to have that conversation.”

That's latest Sony PR on this matter. It's a none answer but not silence.

DR2K

Banned
For Sony's players.

Also, people thinking this is so easy. There is the security issue here as well. Something Sony needs to tighten first.

PS4 is already integrated with PC. You do know that it features cross platform play already?

Has the developer picked up the phone to talk to Sony? I hear they're very approachable.

They gotta be, given that they have far more crossplay games then MS.

Serious note, doubt we get a confirmation or denial for another few months. Just given the legal and technical side of things.

I thought Sony was usually the one who was open to this, and in the past Microsoft was the one who was the hold up for any games to offer this. Why is it that Sony is the problem now? I don't get it.

Dante83

Banned
It's a good thing for Xbox users that they don't have to deal with ps4 owners lagging it up. I have sfv on the pc, and the quality of my matches always suffer when i am paired with a ps4 user. PS4's wifi speed is slow, and psn is not up to par IMO.

Soulflarz

Banned
I thought Sony was usually the one who was open to this, and in the past Microsoft was the one who was the hold up for any games to offer this. Why is it that Sony is the problem now? I don't get it.

If Sony is truly the problem?

Something along the lines of 'we asked for this for years and you said no and you agree to it the second we completely outsell your console line for the generation by all metrics', so Sony wouldn't have much to gain from the offer and MS would, hence Sony could reasonably say no.

Do I know anything? No. But this is how things are different this time around vs in the past.

wapplew

Because PC is not a direct competitor but Xbox is.
Company can be an asshole when it come to competition. They will go very far to keep "advantages" over their competition, exclusive, time exclusive, time DLC, marketing deal, you name it. Larger multiplayer population is one big advantage Sony might not want to give up.
This might not be the case thou, could be tech or policy problem.

leeh

“There's been a lot of noise about this recently. There were certain statements made at E3. But our position has always been that we're receptive to this,” he said. “It's something we've been doing for many years now. I think we started with cross-platform initiatives on PS2 in fact, in the early network days of that. There are a number of instances on PS3: when you upgraded from the PS3 to the PS4 generation on GTA V you could take your save cross-platform, we've also seen it with Final Fantasy. We're completely open to this. It's really down to the developer and publisher of a certain game to come and talk to us and we're ready to have that conversation.”

That's latest Sony PR on this matter. It's a none answer but not silence.
I just find that statement washy. Like we all know they're referring to PC/PS4/PC and they're always open to doing it on PC, but we want to know their stance on cross-console play dammit.

Drencrom

Exactly, doing this would be more of a service to MS than to Sony as Playstation has a bigger playerpool, especially in a game like Tekken.

Not even for them - plenty of PS4 owners have friends who play on PC or XBO. How does this benefit them?

Look at Rocket League crossplay. Having friends on another platform is extremely hard to take advantage of. It's private rooms without voice chat or parties.

Not exactly something to be super excited about.

Forsythia

Microsoft blocks crossplay = Microsoft is the bad guy!
Sony blocks crossplay = eh, whatever, we do not need it... #4theplayers!

Makes sense. But not really.

Strange seeing people defending Sony on this. Whether or not it's in Sonys best interest shouldn't matter. It's in the CONSUMERS best interest. THAT'S what matters.

WaterAstro

Microsoft opened up Xbox Live for all developers to create a cross play environment this year. No permission needed other than build it into your game.

Bullshit, devs always need to get permission. There are tons of guidelines for online and branding. Both Sony and Microsoft have guidelines strictly saying that the game cannot contain branding from its competitors.

You can bet that all three console makers will make sure they don't see competitor branding in this game for this feature if it even happens.

Look at Rocket League crossplay. Having friends on another platform is extremely hard to take advantage of. It's private rooms without voice chat or parties.

Not exactly something to be super excited about.

Again - how is it beneficial to PS4 players to not even have the option? Of course it's not going to give you access to the full set of features available within one platform, but there's plenty of workarounds for things like private voice chat rooms.

leeh

Again - how is it beneficial to PS4 players to not even have the option? Of course it's not going to give you access to the full set of features available within one platform, but there's plenty of workarounds for things like private voice chat rooms.
Then again, even if you had private chat rooms there's no way you can matchmake with that player on the other platform. The only thing this gives is a larger player pool for better matchmaking times and longevity. A disappointing implementation, but an implementation at least.

Top Bottom