• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7: Fated Retribution, Akuma/Gouki announced as playable character

danmaku

The game still has a lot to do to improve match making. Also I don't think the game should do demotions until after 19th Dan. This will keep new players engaged in online longer I think. A sense of achievement can go a long way, demotions can be so deflating.

This is a great idea, they should really do something similar for T7. Let people grind dans with no fear of losing progress, give away some achievements for that and by the time they'll reach 20th dan they'll have some experience under their belt.

Just in case, Leo is most likely a transgender this time around:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...ision/latest?cb=20151029142731&path-prefix=fr

Her/His ties to Steve need to be further explored. I also want a lot more closure for Nina and Steve. Tekken 4 almost hinted at something great. Tekken can do drama, I'm just afraid it's these lucky accidents. Let's hope they can bring these stories home.

I'm a fan of taking risks. Leo is a challenging character to develop.
latest

Nah bruh

Kazuya doesn't really need to die. Heihachi is the only one who caused such much shit culminating to a point. A dramatic death would be needed or even worth something.

Kazuya kills heihachi. Then he takes his satan looking ass home and stops fighting

A part of me kind of hoped Harada would have killed off Heihachi when his voice actor died... kind of like what Ishiwatari did when Zato-1's voice actor died. Although Zato is back in Xrd now so whatever.

Dereck

The game still has a lot to do to improve match making. Also I don't think the game should do demotions until after 19th Dan. This will keep new players engaged in online longer I think. A sense of achievement can go a long way, demotions can be so deflating.
The since of achievement is also diminished when failure is inconsequential.

If you're worried about playing ranked and getting demoted, either get demoted or go play player matches to improve.

Neoxon

She never said kill kazuya. She just hopes kazuya doesnt fall into the darkness. So dunno where you got that from. Also akuma never finishes the job. The only kill he has actually gotten is gotestsu, though argably bison did infact loose his body.
Kazumi said "and also, unfortunately, my dear son Kazuya" after she said to kill Heihachi.

There also needs to be a way to prevent high ranking players from shooting fish in a barrel. It makes no sense destroying your casual market with poor matchmaking.

Village

Kazumi said "and also, unfortunately, my dear son Kazuya" after she said to kill Heihachi.

No

she's talking about kazuya falling into darkness. She immediately says afterward " kazuya don't fall into the darkness" .

there is no statement on the intent of killing kazuya.

Don't know where you are getting this from

Recall

There also needs to be a way to prevent high ranking players from shooting fish in a barrel. It makes no sense destroying your casual market with poor matchmaking.

What happens when a low ranked player finds no other low ranked players to be paired against?

Rank usually depicts time spent playing a game not always skill.

AAK

This could also be just a disguise, since she was introduced as a girl disguised as boy.

In Tekken 6, in the Japanese version, she was referred to as gender neutral in the story mode. For the US localization, she was defaulted to a male. But then MMurray and Harada confirmed that she was indeed a girl during Tekken:BV's promotion in Europe.

And now with T7 her being able to have the male only customization of facial hair kinda implies hormone therapy... but you also could be right that she's disguising herself.

sasuke_91

Her/His ties to Steve need to be further explored. I also want a lot more closure for Nina and Steve. Tekken 4 almost hinted at something great. Tekken can do drama, I'm just afraid it's these lucky accidents. Let's hope they can bring these stories home.

I'm a fan of taking risks. Leo is a challenging character to develop.
latest

I totally missed that it seems. Was that in the campaign or in the CG endings? The campaign was so bad that I just skipped every scene and played it for money to costumize my characters.
That's why I hope that Tekken 7 has a decent Story Mode. Tekken 4 style Tekken Force Mode wouldn't be bad either, just not that T6 campaign...

Getting rid of Demotions would be senseless if you ask me. They tried improving match making in TTT2 by making it harder for Orange ranks to get promotions (you can only promote off an Orange rank), but I agree that it wasn't very good.

In Tekken 6, in the Japanese version, she was referred to as gender neutral in the story mode. For the US localization, she was defaulted to a male. But then MMurray and Harada confirmed that she was indeed a girl during Tekken:BV's promotion in Europe.

And now with T7 her being able to have the male only customization of facial hair kinda implies hormone therapy... but you also could be right that she's disguising herself.

Hormone therapy? Lol you're over-thinking. It's clearly just a disguise.

I totally missed that it seems. Was that in the campaign or in the CG endings? The campaign was so bad that I just skipped every scene and played it for money to costumize my characters.

I'm disappointed, but I understand. Most of it's slapstick.

My relationship with the game is strained and weird.

Tekkenpedia:

Emma Kliesen is the deceased mother of Leo. Leo can be seen visiting her grave and placing flowers upon it in the Tekken 6 opening movie. She appears once again in Steve's Tekken Tag Tournament 2 ending comforting him after he was injected and tested by scientists from the Mishima Zaibatsu. In Leo's ending in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 she is mentioned once again. Apparently she had been a supervisor for the Mishima Zaibatsu's Devil Gene program. The program was cancelled due to the death of it's test subjects. Emma had also falsely reported the death of NT01. She was murdered between Tekken 5 and Tekken 6, which left Leo believing that Kazuya Mishima was responsible for her death, and seeking to avenge her.

What happens when a low ranked player finds no other low ranked players to be paired against?

Rank usually depicts time spent playing a game not always skill.

I know when learning a new character it can be off putting to be matched with players even over 10 Dan. Sometimes you want to play a few casual matches and still get a wide variety of play styles without getting matched with a Genbu. Even when I win it's too damn stressful. Now put yourself in the mind of a true beginner or casual, he wants a sense of accomplishment without getting that very bad match making match. That's not good morale for any player.

Pachimari

I don't want that Tekken Force to return in the console version. Instead build the story around the fighting you already got, and take inspiration from Tekken 4's atmosphere, pre- and after-cutscenes and build it up like Mortal Kombat X or Dead or Alive 5: Last Round.

KingJ2002

It's been awhile since i've checked out tekken 7... this update looks great!

I am curious though... does this make Street Fighter a part of the Tekken universe and vice versa?

It's been awhile since i've checked out tekken 7... this update looks great!

I am curious though... does this make Street Fighter a part of the Tekken universe and vice versa?

Final Fight, Rival Schools, and Saturday Night SlamMasters are already part of the SF Universe... so why not I guess...

Sayad

I remember this, such an underwhelming way to reveal the character's secret gender. It could have made for a great moment if done right in story mode.

Do we know if she get male or female(like in TTT2) swimsuits in T7?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I remember this, such an underwhelming way to reveal the character's secret gender. It could have made for a great moment if done right in story mode.

I think she actually did get a female leaning swimsuit at one point....but i heard(and this is just what i heard) that they patched it out.

*EDIT*

Your referring to T7? Oh...no not even sure about that.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I'm waiting for Josie Rizal's updated look so I can officially declare her my main.

Unless they're doing 2p costumes, she probably won't get an updated look. The point of the new defaults is to replace the costumes that some of these characters have been wearing since Tekken 5, which came out... oh... ten years ago.

For new characters, their outfits are still fresh. And some returning characters were already given new outfits, like Jin, Lars, Kazuya, or Yoshimitsu. They probably count Jack 7's fancy coloring as a new costume too, but whatever...

I know you can give Leo facial hair... never seen swimwear for her used on any streams though

Two Words

No

she's talking about kazuya falling into darkness. She immediately says afterward " kazuya don't fall into the darkness" .

there is no statement on the intent of killing kazuya.

Don't know where you are getting this from
Maybe because it is immediately followed with Kazuya and Akuma fighting?

Basketball

The crazy customization is still there

Look at the customs fighting in the grand finals a few days ago. That's one thing I liked about tekken and soul calibur compared to Doa and Sf where they nickle and dime the fan base for alts.
But giving Paul pink hair....

Dat Feng Wei look...

Feng Wei is the new God of War. I need Feng Wei to seize ultimate power and ascend unto the heavens. I love that damn character.

The Boss of all Bosses. He's the steriod ninja from Five Element Ninja.

five-element-ninja-2.jpg

Like A Boss

He can replace Heihachi.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
The crazy customization is still there

Look at the customs fighting in the grand finals a few days ago. That's one thing I liked about tekken and soul calibur compared to Doa and Sf where they nickle and dime the fan base for alts.
But giving Paul pink hair....

Tournament players will always be the biggest source of evidence for advocating against Customization. Best you can do is try to ignore it and make something that looks good yourself. And maybe push the team to include an option that disables all non-item-move customizations.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Tournament players will always be the biggest source of evidence for advocating against Customization. Best you can do is try to ignore it and make something that looks good yourself. And maybe push the team to include an option that disables all non-item-move customizations.

That would go against the entire point of adding customization right? Players should be forced to see your opponents choice for design in games that you choose to interact with people IMO.

That's the whole point of socializing

higemaru

What is Feng's deal exactly? I remember he had some beef with Asuka in Tekken 5 but did that ever develop into anything larger. He seemed like a strange character to bring back so quickly for Tekken 7 considering how small the roster looked initially.

What is Feng's deal exactly? I remember he had some beef with Asuka in Tekken 5 but did that ever develop into anything larger. He seemed like a strange character to bring back so quickly for Tekken 7 considering how small the roster looked initially.

Feng is a very prominent character online. I love the character design as it pays homage to the Shaw Brothers film classics. Tekken needs to stop abandoning plot points. I too wanted to see a resolution to all these lose ends. Nothing ever came of that except Feng did prank Asuka's dojo in TTT2.

Tekkenpedia:

Feng killed his own master. He wanted to acquire power.

This urge would eventually get the better of Feng, eventually causing him to kill his master, and cause a rampage throughout China and Japan, destroying dojos, and defeating their masters. Eventually, when Feng did stop his attacks, he began finding the lost Divine Fist Scrolls that were stolen by the Mishimas. However, his discovery of the scrolls wouldn't end his journey just there. As he was unable to truly decipher the scroll, Feng decided the follow the single line, which he believed would bring him to become a Divine Fist practitioner, to " destroy all other fighting styles".

He's one of the more interesting characters if you ask me and a great candidate to replace the man god Heihachi.

That would go against the entire point of adding customization right? Players should be forced to see your opponents choice for design in games that you choose to interact with people IMO.

That doesn't sound very nice.

Razzorn34

Older FPS games like Quake had an option to turn off opponent skins. There is nothing wrong with having an option like that. Customizing is all fun and games, but is distracting as hell in many cases. If you are just about business, you should be able to turn it off.

Rajang

Older FPS games like Quake had an option to turn off opponent skins. There is nothing wrong with having an option like that. Customizing is all fun and games, but is distracting as hell in many cases. If you are just about business, you should be able to turn it off.

I wouldn't mind an option like that.

Well in the case of Quake those skins weren't official DLC... they were mods. It wasn't so much the option of not having Spawn and Dead or Alive characters running around in Quake as actually waiting while your PC downloaded the mods at the beginning of a match in days of not so fast internet.

My issue with customizations and the same, tired looks of characters is that despite going to now TWO new generations of consoles since their introduction, the characters and the game engine and/or art style failed to evolve. SF had newer sprites and now stylistic 3D with each iteration despite staying with the same looks. The overall art from a concept level to the assets have evolved. Tekken just had the same static cg renders in new poses. It made it feel stale. TTT2 adding guest artists didn't quite help since it didn't make up the actual art of the entire package. Think of Tekken 4's art and the way it helped differentiate it from the rest. I want something like that again. Especially for a new art book worth owning.

Edit: I forgot my original point was going to be that seeing the same old look and the less detailed or over extravagant customizations fail to show off the graphical capabilities of its engine, your machine or your HD setup without interesting art assets.

What we're seeing now, thanks to these changes helps tremendously.

Dereck

I feel like the most we can ask for is customization toggling, anything more than that is a pipe-dream.

According to Michael Murray the silly customization is popular overseas, so they want to appeal to that demographic (supposedly).

lupinko

Really? A lot of the customizations that people seem to hate here on gaf are from notable Japanese and Korean players. Nobi's joker cowboy Dragunov gets a lot of hate here.

Dereck

They should have some kind of system where people can make and upload customizations for certain characters and then people can vote on which ones they like the mo...

That seems kind of wack actually, someone take my idea and make it better pls

Top Bottom