• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7: Fated Retribution, Akuma/Gouki announced as playable character

Degen

Akuma is canon. That's crazy

New default costumes are a biiig step in the right direction

Can't wait to see what's next

Man, I'm excited for a new Tekken and I'm not even a Street Fighter fan. It just looks new now. This wait better not be long. Maybe a March release like Tekken 3?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I want to see some official CG's and art illustrations with the new outfits...i've seen enough of the T5 outfits to last a lifetime. Out with the old, in with the new

raven777

Yes I am ready for new Xioyu CG render

03Ling01.jpg

This outfit really got old..

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yes I am ready for new Xioyu CG render

This outfit really got old..

I would be happy if i never saw that outfit again personally speaking.

You might as well not even consider "Tekken 7 - initial arcade version" anything more than a glorified field test for ironing out bugs and stuff.

I wonder if they'll include more stuff after Fated Retribution for the console version

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
#TeamCustomize

Shoot, messing around with stuff like that is half the reason I still playing fighting games. The more you can mess with customization, the better, IMO. Somebody linked a video that was supposed to show how bad it has gotten, where Bob, the super obese agile fighter, is dressed as a blue Power Ranger. He is fighting a giant robot man dressed in a military uniform.

The "too silly" part of those sentences is supposed to be the Power Ranger and military uniform garb and not the mordibly obese guy doing karate flips into the face of a giant robot fighter. Tekken is already the most insane mainstream fighter in existence. Adding trinkets for the giant panda to wear while fighting the robo-girl with neon pink hair doesn't even up the silly quota one iota.

Dereck

#TeamCustomize

Shoot, messing around with stuff like that is half the reason I still playing fighting games. The more you can mess with customization, the better, IMO. Somebody linked a video that was supposed to show how bad it has gotten, where Bob, the super obese agile fighter, is dressed as a blue Power Ranger. He is fighting a giant robot man dressed in a military uniform.

The "too silly" part of those sentences is supposed to be the Power Ranger and military uniform garb and not the mordibly obese guy doing karate flips into the face of a giant robot fighter. Tekken is already the most insane mainstream fighter in existence. Adding trinkets for the giant panda to wear while fighting the robo-girl with neon pink hair doesn't even up the silly quota one iota.
bcQxMdP.png

zLwkEiR.png

It looks bad, I think that's the crux of the customization argument.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Definitely in Ghost mode. I hate the pre-made customs they give to the Ghost characters. Hideous stuff there with flapping butterfly wings and the like.

Shun

Harada please remove twin tail from xiaoyu and make her sidetail.

We don't need more twin tail after lucky chloe.

Or bring miharu back.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Eh. Maybe not the majority, but plenty of people want customization gone.

On one hand yes I kind of just prefer the characters having 2 or 3 well designed costumes and really find stuff like king wearing a clown mask and a bat with a rusty nail in it kinda jarring and lame, but on the other hand I don't want to spoil other peoples' fun.

sasuke_91

DEATH™;189288401 said:
Some people do though... I mean, just read the thread...
Eh. Maybe not the majority, but plenty of people want customization gone.

I guess you're right. If there's a toggle nobody is going to complain though, right?

Harada please remove twin tail from xiaoyu and make her sidetail.

We don't need more twin tail after lucky chloe.

Or bring miharu back.

That would be a nice idea for some unique costumization options. Don't give everyone the same hairstyle like in TTT2, just make it unique with a sidetail or long hair for Xiaoyu for example. That would be great.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Toggle seems a nice "make everybody happy" solution. I play Tekken because it's nuts. I can see the competitive types who know about frames and whatnot not liking that aspect, for sure. I'm strictly fighting game casual.

Galdelico

I really like the new costumes, which makes me wonder... They all seem pretty much restyled according to one major theme - something like 'chaos' I'd say (the war scenes in the trailer almost reminded me of Ace Combat) - and the same approach appears to reflect into the arenas as well, with crumbling cities, shattered temples etc.
Do we know if this is the whole leitmotiv of Fated Retribution, or just a coincidence?

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if Kenshiro, Toki and Raoh popped out of the roster, at this point. :D

No

she's talking about kazuya falling into darkness. She immediately says afterward " kazuya don't fall into the darkness" .

there is no statement on the intent of killing kazuya.

Don't know where you are getting this from

Where does she say that in the trailer? In the Japanese voiceover? Because going by just the English subtitles the last thing she says is "And also, unfortunately, my dear son Kazuya." after asking Akuma to kill Heihachi.
So it's not hard to see where Neoxon got the idea from.

AAK

#TeamCustomize

A summary of what I want:

-> The MAIN thing I'd ask for is to make the customization system as robust, well designed, and contextual to the character like Tekken 6

----> If you can't do that and insist on making 95% of the options just trolling accessories you see in TTT2/T7 (which is understandable if the budget is cut and it's easier to recycle the TTT2 selection), then please provide a toggle for it to be disabled on their screen.

-----------> If you can't even do that, I'd rather it be gone since the defaults 1P and 2P outfits are the only ones worthy of a next-gen. Like Dereck said, the customs you currently see in the T7 just looks plain bad.

But since they finally listened after 10 years and finally made some brand new defaults for the cast, maybe there could be a chance they make the customs Tekken 6's level. I could start being optimistic here.

A summary of what I want:

-> The MAIN thing I'd ask for is to make the customization system as robust, well designed, and contextual to the character like Tekken 6

----> If you can't do that and insist on making 95% of the options just trolling accessories you see in TTT2/T7 (which is understandable if the budget is cut and it's easier to recycle the TTT2 selection), then please provide a toggle for it to be disabled on their screen.

-----------> If you can't even do that, I'd rather it be gone since the defaults 1P and 2P outfits are the only ones worthy of a next-gen. Like Dereck said, the customs you currently see in the T7 just looks plain bad.

But since they finally listened after 10 years and finally made some brand new defaults for the cast, maybe there could be a chance they make the customs Tekken 6's level. I could start being optimistic here.
No reason to pick between these two. I'd want both.

Creaking

I'm still a little confused at what's preventing them from bringing over customizations from Tekken 6 if they're able to bring over customizations from Tekken Tag 2 (which featured a small number of customs from Tekken 6).

If they're going to reuse customizations (and they are), instead of providing everyone with a set of these

tekken7-custom-leo-1.jpg

(god why)

why not bring over some of the more personalized customizations that have been missing since 6, like for Dragunov (random example 'cause I've got pictures):

0N9xyb.gif

I'm a big fan of this black and white scenario mode prologue in Tekken 6. I would like to see this expanded upon for other key characters. These little prologues are so good they could be filmed. I went back to watch them again today, I really like the voice acting by Japanese voice actors with English subtitles. I also like the change in perspective of narrators. I like the seriousness of it all. The background music is very appropriate and seedy too. I loved it.

Tekken Campaign Prologue

A full CG version of this prologue with the new story elements in T7 could really help wrap all this content together. Tekken Team should recap it and extended this great idea. I think it will be very helpful for the people who haven't played the earlier games.

DEATH™

I'm sorry, are some of these supposed to look good?

These are all awful.

Huh? Chun getup is awful?

Just the fact alone that I can make these options is awesome.

I mean, you guys can make your characters look as terrible as you want. Just let me turn that shit off. Doesn't seem like much to ask.

Just go direct to the point. Like this

Need release date

We all want a release date. I take a little consolation in the fact that it means we might be getting even more content on console. I hope it means the game is still in development.

I would love if Tekken could get an in-game version of a character and story encyclopedia. If would be great if it was interactive and was read by the voice actors of the respective characters that talk. King, Armor King, Panda/Kuma , Roger/Alez and Dragonov could be the exceptions because they don't talk much. Like I've said before it would be nice if it could cover their story/lore contributions in each game.
Dan-620x.jpg

Something similar to Street Fighter's World Warrior Encyclopedia but better.These voice entries could be nice to earn through gameplay too.

Edit: A very cool way to do this is would be Lei Wulong's interrogation room. The characters talk about their history in each tournament as they get grilled by Lei Wulong.

danmaku

I'm still a little confused at what's preventing them from bringing over customizations from Tekken 6 if they're able to bring over customizations from Tekken Tag 2 (which featured a small number of customs from Tekken 6).

If they're going to reuse customizations (and they are), instead of providing everyone with a set of these

why not bring over some of the more personalized customizations that have been missing since 6, like for Dragunov (random example 'cause I've got pictures):

Maybe because they wanted every character to have the same amount of custom items and they couldn't make a ton of them for the all the characters that weren't in T6. That or they didn't have room left on the disk, can't think of anything else.

I don't have problems with silly customizations, but it's true that many of them were super low quality in TTT2. If they can make them as good as the character models then I'm all for more rubber hammers and birthday cakes!

Coming to PC, with VR compatibility.

Believe

Will likely be announced in the coming days at the Vive conference in China. Harada presiding.

Rajang

We all want a release date. I take a little consolation in the fact that it means we might be getting even more content on console. I hope it means the game is still in development.

I would love if Tekken could get an in-game version of a character and story encyclopedia. If would be great if it was interactive and was read by the voice actors of the respective characters that talk. King, Armor King, Panda/Kuma , Roger/Alez and Dragonov could be the exceptions because they don't talk much. Like I've said before it would be nice if it could cover their story/lore contributions in each game.
Dan-620x.jpg

Something similar to Street Fighter's World Warrior Encyclopedia but better.These voice entries could be nice to earn through gameplay too.

Edit: A very cool way to do this is would be Lei Wulong's interrogation room. The characters talk about their history in each tournament as they get grilled by Lei Wulong.

That would be so sick.

sasuke_91

I skipped out in Tekken Tag 2, were the customization items that bad?

People still managed to do some cool stuff, but it was a huge downgrade to Tekken 6.
If you want to see how bad it can get, watch some of HelpMe's matches.

@Cyber Caesar: I really like your ideas for Tekken's story although I don't always agree with you. That kind of encyclopedia would be really great.

Creaking

I skipped out in Tekken Tag 2, were the customization items that bad?

Aside from three things (being able to manually color things from a color grid, being able to create designs and stick them on clothes--allowing more meticulous users to make their own clothing textures--and being able to save 10 different customizations rather than 2), it was a big downgrade. Understandably so (they had to account for like 18 more characters than they had in the last game, and they had to make it so 4 characters could appear on-screen at once at 60fps), but it was a downgrade nonetheless. Almost all of the unique customizations that characters had in Tekken 6 were gone. Instead, each character shared a small bunch of generic hats, torsos, and legs (with no option of customizing hands and feet separately, so you had stuff like boxing gloves forcibly stuck to an otherwise decent top), and about one unique costume otherwise (though often times the unique costume was just a character's 2p costume from Tekken 6).

I really like your ideas for Tekken's story although I don't always agree with you. That kind of encyclopedia would be really great.

Thanks, don't mind me so much. You must be on the pro customization side of the argument. I just want a slightly more mature product. If you aren't old enough yet, don't worry father time is undefeated.

You should watch this Sasuke if you're over 18 years of age.
Top Ten Interrogations

Dereck

I'm not even looking for a console release date, I'm looking for an FR release date so I can then predict the console release date.

sasuke_91

Thanks, don't mind me so much. You must be on the pro customization side of the argument. I just want a slightly more mature product. If you aren't old enough yet, don't worry father time is undefeated.

You should watch this Sasuke if you're over 18 years of age.
Top Ten Interrogations

Wait what? Well, maybe you misunderstood my post. If so, I have to apologize because my English might be a little mediocre, but I wasn't even talking about costumization. I was talking about your ideas about the story you always share with TekkenGAF which are really interesting in my opinion. You have some in depth knowledge about each character and have an idea where you want their story to go. I wanted to give you a compliment because you shared another great idea of how to deliver Tekken's story through an encyclopdia. And of course I don't always agree with you because that's just how humans work...

I also want a more mature product which is why I wasn't happy with the reveal of Lucky Chloe back then and how every female character is a cute schoolgirl under 20, but I don't want to cut out a feature that has been there for 10 years just because people have a bad taste in costumes. And I'm all in for the option to hide costumes Online.

I'm just going to ignore your comment about my age. Just... read my post again.

Top Bottom