• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 has now sold over 10 million copies worldwide.

https://finalweapon.net/2022/12/11/tekken-7-surpasses-10-million-copies-sold/
Bandai Namco announced world renowned fighting game Tekken 7 surpassed 10 million copies sold across PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam.

The 10 million copies sold for Tekken 7 include digital copies and physical shipments worldwide. Roughly one million copies were sold since June 1, 2022, which was roughly six months ago. To celebrate the sales milestone, Bandai Namco released new artwork depicting the game’s entire roster. Bandai Namco thanks fans for their continued support as it prepares for the next battle, Tekken 8.

Fjsj9g9XoAAK35C

Tekken 7 though taking longer, is selling MKs number now.

It has already passed Tekken 3 awhile ago but now it's pretty far from it. I'm not sure if Tekken 8 will live up to the hype and be just as big but for those who are fans of Tekken or anime fighting games you can bet that Tekken 8 will use the money made from 7 for a more polished and grand experience.

Tekken is still big that's for sure.

Can't say the same for Namco's other fighting franchise Soul Calibur.

Gaiff

Has to be pretty high up there. I know Smash games sold a lot more but besides that, it's probably one of the best-selling fighting games ever.

anthony2690

Banned
And still I have to play it at 720p on Xbox, despite being shown off when the one X was revealed, they never bothered to atleast bump it up to 1080p like ps4pro.

Tbh despite buying all expansions, I dropped the game forever ago mostly due to the loading times.

It's literally 43+ seconds to rematch.

Also if Tekken 8 says "now fight your next rival" I'm throwing the disc out the window, I never want to see that again.

Great game otherwise though.

Klosshufvud

I guess the benefit of holding off a sequel for half a decade on top of constant digital sales that urge people to dive in. This is big reason why digital is so important for publishers. It gives games these super long legs since you can continue push for deeper and deeper sales, keeping the game relevant in a long time on the market. For Tekken 7, it's particularly crazy since it's actually gaining players now compared to a few years back.

QpTcpcc.jpg

That graph is really something.

Happy to hear about those numbers.
Wish Soul Calibur sold at least half that, maybe then it would have gotten a sequel announced instead of basically being dead now. 😞 😢 😭

ReBurn

Gold Member
And still I have to play it at 720p on Xbox, despite being shown off when the one X was revealed, they never bothered to atleast bump it up to 1080p like ps4pro.

Tbh despite buying all expansions, I dropped the game forever ago mostly due to the loading times.

It's literally 43+ seconds to rematch.

Also if Tekken 8 says "now fight your next rival" I'm throwing the disc out the window, I never want to see that again.

Great game otherwise though.
The quick change options in the offline modes make the time between vs matches more tolerable. The arcade matches are slower loading, though. "Get ready for the next battle" over and over. When the 1080p update for PS Pro dropped PlayStation became where I mostly play. No idea why they never went back and updated the game for One X.

Klosshufvud

Wish Soul Calibur sold at least half that, maybe then it would have gotten a sequel announced instead of basically being dead now. 😞 😢 😭
I recall SC6 being a really barebones game and kinda low effort too. Them selling so much DLC for what felt already like half an SC game just rubbed me the wrong way. I feel personally that they didn't do the IP justice with SC6.

Unknown?

https://finalweapon.net/2022/12/11/tekken-7-surpasses-10-million-copies-sold/

Fjsj9g9XoAAK35C

Tekken 7 though taking longer, is selling MKs number now.

It has already passed Tekken 3 awhile ago but now it's pretty far from it. I'm not sure if Tekken 8 will live up to the hype and be just as big but for those who are fans of Tekken or anime fighting games you can bet that Tekken 8 will use the money made from 7 for a more polished and grand experience.

Tekken is still big that's for sure.

Can't say the same for Namco's other fighting franchise Soul Calibur.

Tekken 3 is more impressive though. It was on one platform in a time with a much smaller market.

I recall SC6 being a really barebones game and kinda low effort too. Them selling so much DLC for what felt already like half an SC game just rubbed me the wrong way. I feel personally that they didn't do the IP justice with SC6.
Yeah that’s true. But they might have also had a really low budget. 🤷‍♂️

Has to be pretty high up there. I know Smash games sold a lot more but besides that, it's probably one of the best-selling fighting games ever.

3rd best if not mistaken. Not much of a fan but not sure where they can go with the next one with main antagonist guy

Tekken 3 is more impressive though. It was on one platform in a time with a much smaller market.

On one platform that had more hardware sales at that point than than the consoles Tekken 7 launched on aligned, double so with the other consoles of the time. So not really.

Yeah that’s true. But they might have also had a really low budget. 🤷‍♂️

Soul Calibur 6 sold over two million looking it up last year so might have sold a bit more now. It's only about to be 4 years since 6 launched and I think those sales may have been good enough along with the DLC to make profit so I don't think the series is dead yet.

Never played it but it doesn't look like a game that had much production behind it.

New guest artist panels for character customization are going to be added on the 13th as a free 'commemoration" update.

Last edited:

splattered

Tekken 7 on Series X is downloading an 11.22GB update right now... that can't just be guest artist panels? I wonder what else this update includes??

3rd best if not mistaken. Not much of a fan but not sure where they can go with the next one with main antagonist guy

On one platform that had more hardware sales at that point than than the consoles Tekken 7 launched on aligned, double so with the other consoles of the time. So not really.

Soul Calibur 6 sold over two million looking it up last year so might have sold a bit more now. It's only about to be 4 years since 6 launched and I think those sales may have been good enough along with the DLC to make profit so I don't think the series is dead yet.

Never played it but it doesn't look like a game that had much production behind it.
I guess maybe dead is the wrong word. I’m sure at some point there will be another SC, but it could be a looooong ways out. 😔

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Sorry don't even have time to check this out anytime soon, too busy w work and stuff
No big deal. I have 18 days to decide and there are other sources. (Edit: Apparently, the resolution has not changed and there is no jukebox or mods, so it remains the most inferior version.)

I still have my Tekken 3 ps1 disc. It was so amazing back in the day
I still have my Tekken 2 PS1 disc and play it. I think Tekken 3 is even more amazing in Arcade History on Tekken 5 PS2 disc. Even better in some ways is the PS2 Tekken Tag Tournament port that used Tekken 3 arcade engine as a base. Unlike the PS3 rerelease it even lets a player go 1v1 against a player or CPU opponent.

I guess maybe dead is the wrong word. I’m sure at some point there will be another SC, but it could be a looooong ways out. 😔
Soul Calibur has sadly lost its way (IV and beyond), but I am still waiting for a Soul Calibur III: Arcade Edition port.

Last edited:

splattered

No big deal. I have 18 days to decide and there are other sources. (Edit: Apparently, the resolution has not changed and there is no jukebox or mods, so it remains the most inferior version.)

I still have my Tekken 2 PS1 disc and play it. I think Tekken 3 is even more amazing in Arcade History on Tekken 5 PS2 disc. Even better in some ways is the PS2 Tekken Tag Tournament port that used Tekken 3 arcade engine as a base. Unlike the PS3 rerelease it even lets a player go 1v1 against a player or CPU opponent.

Soul Calibur has sadly lost its way (IV and beyond), but I am still waiting for a Soul Calibur III: Arcade Edition port.

Sad! At this point it feels like they are keeping the SX version down on purpose. Wtf?

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
They probably do not see it as a worthwhile investment. It is like a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is the most inferior version so people are less likely to buy it and since there is almost no one buying it they do not see a reason to diverge resources to improve it.

Quite honestly, the game mechanics and veteran moveset downgrades (relative to Tekken 6) are so great that I was only interested in checking out Leroy and Lidia at my leisure prior to Tekken 8. However, I am not interested in having an inferior experience. Oh well...

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Genuinely happy for the team. I love seeing the effort they put in to the game go rewarded.

(hopefully they get bonuses... but... another topic for another time)

Top Bottom