• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 - Lucky Chloe revealed

Miguel was revealed in 2007, Dragunov in 2005.... that's 7+ years ago man. This downward spiral has started post-bloodline rebellion.

And when I was talking about the Dark Cyberpunk atmosphere I wasn't talking about the Kazuya vs Heihachi storyline because by that logic the Tekken Blood Vengeance movie would count too and that was just japanese school-girl+robo lesbo action + other slice of life anime fuckery. The Dark Cyberpunk world is the combination of all these cool characters in the environment reliving 80's-90's Hong Kong action cinema in the best way videogames can. Tekken doesn't give that feeling anymore at all.

If I only played games for the system I'd also be playing Arcana Heart, Aquapazza, and Degenki Waifu Simulator as well right now. Aesthetics matter to me. Tekken is just a special case where they had enough of what I loved about the game for me to tolerate all the nonsense they're bringing in.

EDIT: Dammit, I need to calm down. Gonna go sleep and hope I feel better in the morning.
This has been my feelings for years but pros don't want to hear it from scrubs.

Marie Rose from DOA5? Looks sort of like a customization to me. Seems like DOA and Tekken are having a battle of the little, young girls. I'm hearing that Marie Rose is very popular in DOA5 in Japan and I am hearing that they are adding yet another really young girl to the roster, so I guess this could be Namco's answer.

Call me crazy, but her design is sort of growing on me. I am scared of her fighting style though. Looks masher friendly.

Sayah

That's what really makes me hate it even more. They add THIS kind of nonsense and then are going to have to cut out old favorites to keep it to 36 - 38 like Harada said?

Fuck outta here with this shit, Harada.

That part I am worried about.......because if Anna is out and this character is in......oh man.

I will take Anna, Marduk, Armor King, Jinpachi, etc. over this character.

While I agree it wasn't suuuuper serious... the tone between Tekken from Tekken 2 & Tekken 3 to now is night and day.

They got rid of the dark cyberpunk world of the mysterious Zaibatsu conglomerate holding these tournaments from Tekken 2 and 3. And it's now the adventures of Goku mishima/kawaii robot & their shitty friends saving the world from emo-lord Jin. Here are the new characters we got in Tekken 3:

Eddy: Capoera, Hwoarang: Baek, Ling: (some kind of Kung Fu), Bryan: Kick-boxing, etc.

The 6 last revealed characters Tekken got were Lars, Alisa, Eliza, Katarina, Claudio, and now Chloe.

Doesn't it say something about how different they're catering their new characters. Before we'd get believable yet cool new characters based on legitimate martial arts. Now the only character that has a martial art is Katarina while everyone else is one Anime trope after the other.

I love Tekken more than anything... but it is way too obvious that they've given up on us legacy fans and are willing to alienate us to seek a brand new demographic.

Calm down.

Introducing anime character = alienating their entire legacy fanbase? I don't know how you're deriving this conclusion.

Tekken's roster is already crazy as it is. This is just Lili 2.0 to me.

Dugna

Miguel was revealed in 2007, Dragunov in 2005.... that's 7+ years ago man. This downward spiral has started post-bloodline rebellion.

And when I was talking about the Dark Cyberpunk atmosphere I wasn't talking about the Kazuya vs Heihachi storyline because by that logic the Tekken Blood Vengeance movie would count too and that was just japanese school-girl+robo lesbo action + other slice of life anime fuckery. The Dark Cyberpunk world is the combination of all these cool characters in the environment reliving 80's-90's Hong Kong action cinema in the best way videogames can. Tekken doesn't give that feeling anymore at all.

Not sure where you got this cyberpunk only vibe from tekken ever, I mean for tekken it involved bloodline stuff since the beginning it's the main reason Mishima had their feuds. The Iron Fist Tournament always seemed like background noise to the Mishima fights.

Call me crazy, but her design is sort of growing on me. To be honest, I think I like it. I am scared of her fighting style though. Looks masher friendly which seems to be a trend of attracting newbies to fighting games.

ShinMaruku

This game has a woman and her son and grandson turning into devils and some girl looking all j-pop and telling you "See you next time, BAAAAII" is off.

HeelPower

That part I am worried about.......because if Anna is out and this character is in......oh man.

I will take Anna, Marduk, Armor King, Jinpachi, etc. over this character.

This is what I fear the most.

Classics getting taken out to make room for stuff like this...:/

Especially Anna.

anna-williams-tekken5.jpg

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
How inspired.

I keep forgetting how much Harada is obsessed with idolm@ster

wildfire

Banned
This character is dumb. She's officially the Dan Hibiki of this game in my mind. The sad thing is that she looks legit while fighting instead of having a weird or obviously shitty moves like Dan.

Namco has successfully trolled everyone. That outfit is beyond terrible. It makes no sense that anyone would consider wearing that if they weren't paid to humiliate themselves.

If I only played games for the system I'd also be playing Arcana Heart, Aquapazza, and Degenki Waifu Simulator as well right now. Aesthetics matter to me. Tekken is just a special case where they had enough of what I loved about the game for me to tolerate all the nonsense they're bringing in.

EDIT: Dammit, I need to calm down. Gonna go sleep and hope I feel better in the morning.
Your also talking about a series where most people played through them to watch the most ridiculous endings that topped any fighting game at the time.

The story? I mean sure a long time ago tekken was considered the closest to having some sort of serious lore but looking back on it you have to admit it was more anime crazy than serious. How many times do the Mishimas have to keep throwing themselves off of cliffs? Did you forget the whole Devil Kazuya and Angel nonsense from T1 and T2 that just escalated to the point where they started introducing more demons into the mix? and Roger and Alex were in T2.

That whole dark cyberpunk thing that they were going for was just a product of the 90s. They were pretty much doing what a lot of 90s anime and kung fu movies were doing at the time. We moved on to today where people's taste change.

Dugna

This character is dumb. She's officially the Dan Hibiki of this game in my mind. The sad thing is that she looks legit while fighting instead of having a weird or obviously shitty moves like Dan.

Namco has successfully trolled everyone. That outfit is beyond terrible. It makes no sense that anyone would consider wearing that if they weren't paid to humiliate themselves.

The paws could be made out of steel, so she can do her idol work while beating the ever loving crap outta people.

RM8

I don't mind wacky characters, to be honest. I'm fine as long as my totally serious girl Panda is in.

This is what I fear the most.

Classics getting taken out to make room for stuff like this...:/

Especially Anna.

anna-williams-tekken5.jpg

Yeah, that worries me also. I mean I will give the new character a chance and I even think she is cute with an interesting design, but I would be disappointed if characters like Anna, Zafina, etc get removed for er......new stuff. :( It is obvious they created thsi character to appeal to the newer generation of players, especially in Japan where characters like Marie Rose from DOA5 are preferred over characters like Christie.

neohwa

Another love/hate character.

Some talking about a new main. Others quitting the franchise altogether.

Both don't make sense to me. She's their new main when they haven't played as her yet. And one character they don't like made them quitting the whole franchise. LOL.

Dugna

Even though I have mains in fighting games that I get the best I can at, I usually with friends just hit the random button and go have some fun with all the different styles.

Deps

While Chloe is bad, if she ends up replacing Anna then that would be a net positive. I see you Harada.

Crocodile

I can't say this character looks remotely appealing but the reactions and "THIS IS WHAT WILL MAKE ME QUIT TEKKEN, fuck all the other things I may like about the franchise" are pretty funny :)

ShinMaruku

Both don't make sense to me. She's their new main when they haven't played as her yet. And one character they don't like made them quitting the whole franchise. LOL.

Let's be frank, either they were never tekken people or they will get it. Smack to me of the CoD thing. As for her being a main, she's a troll, people love to troll in fighting games.(Laggy and are shit at sf? Pick Blanka and laugh)

Mik317

So we have hit the "slots" part of fighting game reveals....?

This character did not get in over <insert character here>....if that character isn't in the game..then they never was going to be.

I don't hate it but this character just doesn't appeal to me which is fine. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a response to Marie Rose. Right now Tekken and DoA are like the only competing 3D fighters in the fighting game market that is dominated by 2D. When you look at it that way it makes sense why Tekken is doing some pretty out their changes.

big_z

reminds me of those crappy anime characters that were in soulcalibur 4. some times I wish you could delete characters from the roster.... kinda like how I wish Nintendo would replace toads turdpipe with a good track in mk8.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Xiaoyu is leaning more towards the typical teenage school girl in a fighting game like Sakura from Street Fighter.

Xiaoyu is not a schoolgirl though. Atleast not anymore. And with luck, Sakura won't be either in SF5

Nimby

Banned
When are we gonna see based Julia or is she gonna stay that JC thing? Never played TTT2, and a friend tells me that's a good decision, for some reason.

DEATH™

I can't say this character looks remotely appealing but the reactions and "THIS IS WHAT WILL MAKE ME QUIT TEKKEN, fuck all the other things I may like about the franchise" are pretty funny :)

I think the problem is, having this character while knowing beforehand that there will be massive character cuts coming up.

In a sense, we deserved this. Majority of us in the community are blaming the roster along with other things like bound, tag mechanics, and other things, despite Tag 2 being an awesome and solid game. Tag 2 is as good as Tekken we will get if this is the direction Tekken will go...

When are we gonna see based Julia or is she gonna stay that JC thing? Never played TTT2, and a friend tells me that's a good decision, for some reason.

Bad decision on your part.

TTT2 is a must if you are a tekken fan.

The only problem with TTT2 is that it has the best netcode out of the fighters out now, and that means going online equal swimming with a salty sea full of sharks. Emphasize the salt part

Mik317

DEATH™;142167469 said:
I think the problem is, having this character while knowing beforehand that there will be massive character cuts coming up.

In a sense, we deserved this. Majority of us in the community are blaming the roster along with other things like bound, tag mechanics, and other things, despite Tag 2 being an awesome and solid game. Tag 2 is as good as Tekken we will get if this is the direction Tekken will go...

Cuts were always to be expected after TT2 tho. They basically packed it with every character possible on some "enjoy some of these fools while you can" tip.

New Engine and wanting to get it out next year = Cuts.

Xrd did it too. SFV probably will too.

This is why I don't main just one character
I am also very very very bad at most fighting games despite liking them so...there is that too.

Ugh, people need to just take a deep breath and calm down. Just don't play her. I think her movelist looks fun. I'm not even shocked an idol character made it in anyways.

While I agree it wasn't suuuuper serious... the tone between Tekken from Tekken 2 & Tekken 3 to now is night and day.

They got rid of the dark cyberpunk world of the mysterious Zaibatsu conglomerate holding these tournaments from Tekken 2 and 3. And it's now the adventures of Goku mishima/kawaii robot & their shitty friends saving the world from emo-lord Jin. Here are the new characters we got in Tekken 3:

Eddy: Capoera, Hwoarang: Baek, Ling: (some kind of Kung Fu), Bryan: Kick-boxing, etc.

The 6 last revealed characters Tekken got were Lars, Alisa, Eliza, Katarina, Claudio, and now Chloe.

Doesn't it say something about how different they're catering their new characters. Before we'd get believable yet cool new characters based on legitimate martial arts. Now the only character that has a martial art is Katarina while everyone else is one Anime trope after the other.

I love Tekken more than anything... but it is way too obvious that they've given up on us legacy fans and are willing to alienate us to seek a brand new demographic.

Totally agree. Tekken has always been over-the-top in both characters and plot, but I always felt it had international appeal. The characters represented a fairly wide range of cultures and countries. Anna and Nina were sexy vamps, but not in an anime way. But characters like Chloe, Alisa, and Lars show that the Tekken team are becoming more focused on their Japanese audience (and the team's own cultural interests), at the expense of Tekken's aesthetic.

Sayah

Yes, Jaycee was a great decision. Really expanded her moveset and made her a more unique character.

DEATH™

Cuts were always to be expected after TT2 tho. They basically packed it with every character possible on some "enjoy some of these fools while you can" tip.

New Engine and wanting to get it out next year = Cuts.

Xrd did it too. SFV probably will too.

This is why I don't main just one character
I am also very very very bad at most fighting games despite liking them so...there is that too.

The thing is, each char in TTT2 fills a certain void to the game, and I do think that the T7 can still have the majority of the TTT2 cast. Most of the chars that take up 1 spot takes up 2 so there would be a chance to make them team up example rolex, bears, capos, etc. You can make them return to palette swaps again like they were and the roster is actually manageable.

Top Bottom