• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 - October 4/5 Location Test Being Streamed on Niconico

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayah

At first, I though Anna was gone for sure. But the more I think about how this is the final Tekken focusing on ending the Mishima storyline, I have a hard time believing they're gonna kick out Anna. She's way too pivotal both to the Mishima story arc (through her role in G Corp with Kazuya) and in the second other most important story arc in the series (i.e. the Williams storyline).

I missed the news about the cuts, what is exactly known ? They have declared the numbers of characters that will be in the final game or just assumptions ?

There is nothing known except for the fact that the roster will be cut.

The character cuts are just assumptions a lot of us are making based on different factors (character popularity, storyline roles, etc).

But, regardless, there are certain characters that you can know with like 90% certainty that they won't be there (i.e. Wang, Baek, Ogres, Angel, etc).

Why the hell would Anna get dropped?

She's only missed one Tekken appearance (T4) and nobody talks about that game anyway(unless it's the excellent OST).

Yeah she's similar to Nina but popularity counts for a lot.

Bob, Marduk, Zafina, Raven, and Dragonuv getting dropped would be silly as well.

Why the hell would Anna get dropped?

She's only missed one Tekken appearance (T4) and nobody talks about that game anyway(unless it's the excellent OST).

Lmao, I was just about to post how Tekken 4 was my favorite in the series since they added the most new and progressive ideas to it(VF blah). I hate that it regressed backward and threw away lots of things instead of polishing them up.

Squishy3

Essentially its like the Beta tests we get on console and PC games ,but,in this case, its a really archaic and outdated practice that only like harada sticks to lol

They still prioritize the arcades in 2014 for god knows what reason ,and we'll still have to wait a year or two so that the game is boring as hell by the time it comes out on console.
Because they're Japanese developers and they make tons of money for selling the arcade game/machines. It's not an outdated practice in Japan where the vast majority of fighters are played in arcades. (just look at the gameacho channel on Youtube for example, they upload hours and hours and hours of arcade fighter footage a day) nor is it the fault of Namco that other countries' arcade culture has died out. Ultra Street Fighter 4, P4 Ultimax, Guilty Gear XRD, Blazblue Chrono Phantasma, all received location tests and arcade releases before they came out on anything else. And those are all just recent releases.

It's good for Namco because they get public feedback from the location test. It draws in traffic for the arcade they hold it at. Why would a company that makes arcade games not want to build good relations with arcades? They spend thousands of dollars on these games, they want to have a relationship with the companies that make the games, they want to make sure they wouldn't be throwing away their money by purchasing the game.

Ivan 3414

Tekken without Nina is pretty much Street Fighter without Ken, there's no chance she'll be missing from the roster. These are my guesses on who's gonna be cut from the roster:

i5lHZRLcEgk3s.png

Only controversial omission from my proposed roster is Marduk... but he'll probably make it for the console version.

For the final version of this game?

No fucking way, dude. That's way too many characters. On top of you removing widely used characters like Bob.

Karsha

Oh, Im pretty sure no major cuts will be made. Depending on the nr of new characters which should be as always 4-5 + final boss i think that we might get 30 returning ones. The one that might be taken our ( for the arcade release anyway,they might return for the console version) are most likely the ones that don;t have a story line going IE Wang, Bruce, Baek etc . Armor King has a storyline going on involving Kind and Murdock so its safe to assume that the 3 of them are going to be in.

I know that the competitive and polish aspect most definitely is maximized by expert player feedback from arcades..

Still the wait is incredibly frustrating.

I agree with this so much. I understand they have to balance and tweak, but making people wait 1 to 2 years who do have have arcade access can be extremely frustrating. Besides, couldn't you just patch any changes to the game at home? DOA5 did it, why not Tekken?

Lernaean

Banned
God damn! With the location tests and Smash release, this is officially a brawling weekend.
Hype intensifies.

Btw, for those of you that may know, how long after the tests is usually the arcade release?

Looking forward to seeing it. Last couple of Tekken games have lost me a bit, so hoping this is a return to form as far as I'm concerned. No tagging will help!

Dereck

Gonna get some inb4s in.

inb4 where is this character
inb4 the graphics suck
inb4 eww why did they keep bound
inb4 eww why did they take out bound
inb4 where are the new costumes
inb4 eww there are still juggles, tekken doomed

Qvoth

strange how they haven't shown jin yet, maybe kazuya's back as protagonist again? (if there's such a thing in tekken world)

Bleep

I'm really looking forward to seeing how 7 will separate itself from 6/TTT2/Revolution.

strange how they haven't shown jin yet, maybe kazuya's back as protagonist again? (if there's such a thing in tekken world)

The entire Mishima family is the protagonist. ;~)

alstein

I don't think arcade loketests are outdated. They are probably the best way to get early feedback on a game from reasonably skilled players.

A console loke test would bring in too much garbage feedback, plus you'd have lag issues.

I do think some clones will be cut, but Anna's pretty safe IMO. This seems to be a Mishima game, and she's got ties to Kazuya now so I think she's safe

Also, she's kinda the Mai of the series..

I remember reading the plan was originally to scrap Lee in Tekken 4, but have a female character (Violet) take his place that plays in his same fighting style.

Hope that isn't the case for T7, but his play style would live on.

T4 lee is probably the most fun FG character i have ever played. I used to be like "pffff...GAAAYYYY!!!" Then i went to a regional and saw a kid - matty D, i think - secure a national spot with him. Spent a week just messing with him and was converted for life.

Always played as purple / black violet when I was just throwing down style / risky stuff. Went with the purple / grey suite when it was time for business.
Lmao, I was just about to post how Tekken 4 was my favorite in the series since they added the most new and progressive ideas to it(VF blah). I hate that it regressed backward and threw away lots of things instead of polishing them up.
I liked T4, too. Aside from Jins 21, parry nonsense and some character safety / damage acquisition issues, it was a welcomed change. Still offers many systems most fighters can't even touch these days. Probably the best wall system in any fighter, period.

Really excited to see how T7 plays. Hope it's a change from the status quo and mixes things up like T4 - but with proper balancing.

I am going to be selfish and hope the people I play (Paul and Feng) are still in.

I want Paul to get a big makeover though. I don't know what, but something.

Can't wait for the new Yoshi design as well.

I reckon Bob is still in. Fat and slim Bob (maybe console?)

Will cry if Leo and Miguel get dropped. Maybe more if it's Leo.

Wouldn't mind some of the novelty characters being replaced, either e.g. Mokujin for something else (how Combot replaced him in T4).

I am going to be selfish and hope the people I play (Paul and Feng) are still in.

I want Paul to get a big makeover though. I don't know what, but something.

Can't wait for the new Yoshi design as well.

Paul is a staple of the series and isn't Feng Harada's favorite character? If he is, then I would imagine he would stay in. I think most of the characters with unique fighting styles will stay in and the clones will be gone or a few might possibly be accessible with another costume or the start button or something. Even characters like Armor King and Anna will hopefully stay in because I think they are still different enough to be considered an entirely different character. Yeah, hopefully Anna stays since she is one of my mains and I am liking Armor King also.

Tekken without Nina is pretty much Street Fighter without Ken, there's no chance she'll be missing from the roster. These are my guesses on who's gonna be cut from the roster:

i5lHZRLcEgk3s.png

Only controversial omission from my proposed roster is Marduk... but he'll probably make it for the console version.

I don't see why they'd keep Miguel and Alisa over Bob. The 3 of them can get cut for all I care, lol. Only T6 character I'd miss is Leo <3

I feel like Jack might skip this game. They have nowhere to go with the design (evidenced by Jack 5 and 6 being fucking the same) and he's definitely bottom 10 in popularity.

T4 lee is probably the most fun FG character i have ever played. I used to be like "pffff...GAAAYYYY!!!" Then i went to a regional and saw a kid - matty D, i think - secure a national spot with him. Spent a week just messing with him and was converted for life.

Always played as purple / black violet when I was just throwing down style / risky stuff. Went with the purple / grey suite when it was time for business.

I liked T4, too. Aside from Jins 21, parry nonsense and some character safety / damage acquisition issues, it was a welcomed change. Still offers many systems most fighters can't even touch these days. Probably the best wall system in any fighter, period.

Really excited to see how T7 plays. Hope it's a change from the status quo and mixes things up like T4 - but with proper balancing.

Imagine how awesome the wall system, position change, level balancing, etc would be right now if they had stuck with it. That's like 12 years of polish! Damn, I hope T7 does some great things and takes a few chances. I know it will be a great game regardless, I just want it to wow people again.

MattXIII

They gotta keep Zafina. What a unique style, contorting and confusing the hell outta your opponent is the best.

But the question is, Will Jaycee revert back to the Julia style? I really dug the addition of her luchador type moves.

Why does everyone believe the roster will be cut so hard in the final game? I know the loctest will be limited, but the final roster is as well?

AllenShrz

Soon... soon!

I'll be there 10 am... With money at hand to buy anything tekken, and hopefully get an autograph from harada

Why does everyone believe the roster will be cut so hard in the final game? I know the loctest will be limited, but the final roster is as well?
Because Harada explicitly said there would be between 36-38 characters in Tekken 7. If you figure that at least 3-4 of them are new, that only leaves room for 32-35 returning characters. Tekken 6 had 40 and TTT2 had 56, so there are going to be some hard cuts.

Piccoro

Please be there.

anna.png

If she doesn't show up, then she's all but disconfirmed ,and as a result I might skip T7.

You're going to skip a game because of one character?
And a character who shares some of the move set with Nina, who is probably in?

Because Harada explicitly said there would be between 36-38 characters in Tekken 7. If you figure that at least 3-4 of them are new, that only leaves room for 32-35 returning characters. Tekken 6 had 40 and TTT2 had 56, so there are going to be some hard cuts.

Damn, hard cuts indeed. I didn't expect Tag numbers, but it going below T6 numbers is actually pretty interesting. Now I'm really wondering how much reform there will be.

Hopefully we get some snips of the OST as well. Tekken always has awesome tunes. Moonlit Wilderness has helped me smash many a workout.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Hopefully we get some snips of the OST as well. Tekken always has awesome tunes. Moonlit Wilderness has helped me smash many a workout.

Tekken has always had great OST's...but T6 was terrible and TTT2 was only so so, i really hope they come back hard with this one

TAG2 was pretty overwhelming for newcomers. I'm hoping too that they would return to Tekken 5 numbers, to have 32 characters again. Perfect amount.

They just need to have the balls to make hard cuts/make new characters that might be combos of old ones like Mortal Kombat X is doing.

(and you can expect it to ship out to Arcades with some amount of characters, year later for consoles it will have 4 more and 8 more as DLC.)

AAK

A lot of characters share similar moves in Tekken. But right now, Anna is as different from Nina as Devil Jin differs from Kazuya. I.e. she's COMPLETELY different.

That being said.... since the roster is getting slashed by half, I just felt she's more likely to get cut compared to other characters that I see get played way more often.

Tekken has always had great OST's...but T6 was terrible and TTT2 was only so so, i really hope they come back hard with this one

Akitaka Tohyama is returning as the music director, and I can't be more happy about it. The man is a genius.

Tekken 6's soundtrack was pretty boss IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6WB7DO32r0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EZ1-a0V-wA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UShJDoiLuME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWDiDBUwtXg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CefnrPov19E

And let's not forget the legendary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zYFE7DVbMU

Kimosabae

Banned

If you only have a casual interest in a series, this is entirely reasonable. I generally don't like Tekken's art direction, but Jin's design from 4/5 is one of my favorite FG character designs ever. I didn't start playing the series until 4, and stopped playing at 6, when that design disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom