• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

Sayah

I dont think forging speed test's and lag switching will be a big deal. This isnt the first online tournament for a fighter ever being run. Levelup hasnt had big issues with it in the past either. I dont know how they'll be able to detect if you're wired though.

International is new, but they've run North American online events for years. Community based and officiallly sponsored. They do lots of things.

It's just an online tournament guys. There is no money on the line and the tour points available are extremely meager. Community run and community policed. Let's just have some fun.

I hope it goes well but I have my doubts given the scale. Hope everyone involved has fun regardless.

Ritzboof

i need help, this is starting to drive me fucking bonkers

ive always had my graphics settings like this and have been able to run the game at a smooth 60, but over the past week or something, ive been having framerate issues. the game likes do drop down to 40fps a lot, especially in the doumo di sirio stage (but i lose frames on nearly every stage). its frustrating, because my PC was playing T7 just fine up until recently and should be able to run it with flying colors, and i cant discern what the issue is

4d836feca6.png

this is an image of T7 running like trash on doumo di sirio with some performance monitors up, which should also communicate my PC specs. tekken 7 used to run perfectly fine before, and im not doing anything differently. the image here is actually after lowering some graphical settings from ultra to high. bringing down the graphics settings does improve the framerate, but i still get frame drops down to like 50 on certain stages with everything down to medium. i shouldnt even have to be doing this in the first place

theres no notable difference when i have the window selected or not, and ive always played the game in windowed borderless, so i dont see why that should be an issue now. ive scanned my computer and there doesnt seem do be any gunk plaguing it. i dont see anything wrong with my PCs performance when im observing this framerate. what could my issue be?

edit: puush is giving me some greif, lemme upload the images to something else

edit 2: whatever, these are my specs:
i7-4790k quad core 4.00GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960
16GB DDR3 RAM

game is running like trash and i cant see anything, send help

Reposting myself from the FGH thread.
Tekken 7 online is so much fun.

Get matched up with a player who played incredibly solid and pretty much rekt me for 2 matches. Then from the 3rd match onwards, he just started using only 2 or 3 moves with the hopes of having me block and punish them. Once I started to punish them better, he started playing his regular game again but it got much closer this time since I knew how to punish some of his more stronger stuff.

Compared to 2D fighting games where you just go for the cheap stuff and win quit, this is like going to online warrior heaven.

remz

i need help, this is starting to drive me fucking bonkers

ive always had my graphics settings like this and have been able to run the game at a smooth 60, but over the past week or something, ive been having framerate issues. the game likes do drop down to 40fps a lot, especially in the doumo di sirio stage (but i lose frames on nearly every stage). its frustrating, because my PC was playing T7 just fine up until recently and should be able to run it with flying colors, and i cant discern what the issue is

261nhnq.png

this is an image of T7 running like trash on doumo di sirio with some performance monitors up, which should also communicate my PC specs. tekken 7 used to run perfectly fine before, and im not doing anything differently. the image here is actually after lowering some graphical settings from ultra to high. bringing down the graphics settings does improve the framerate, but i still get frame drops down to like 50 on certain stages with everything down to medium. i shouldnt even have to be doing this in the first place

theres no notable difference when i have the window selected or not, and ive always played the game in windowed borderless, so i dont see why that should be an issue now. ive scanned my computer and there doesnt seem do be any gunk plaguing it. i dont see anything wrong with my PCs performance when im observing this framerate. what could my issue be?

edit: puush is giving me some greif, lemme upload the images to something else
Apparently your image hosting site is busted.

If it makes you feel better I have the same problem. Used to run super smooth on ultra, now it runs like shit on it. I think it's something to do with the game. I lowered my settings until it was smooth again and now that's how I play, but online is still sketchy from time to time

maomaoIYP

Reposting myself from the FGH thread.

Nice experience you had there.
I had the same thing except instead of my opponent doing just a few moves, he started doing taunts and shit to exert his superiority.
Still couldn't beat him. This was low level ranked, so I don't know what he was doing there.

GrayFoxPL

That's kind of ridiculous. The 13f Electric execution was one thing, but to do it on reaction to blocking the hopkick is what pushes it to inhuman feats.

Would never happen in tournament though :p

Not only tournament. Watching countless match videos since vanilla, the frequency of 14 and even 15 frame electric punishes has fallen dramatically and we're talking about Korean and Japanese arcades. I feel there's way less dedicated mishima players, so that's that.

LegendX48

16 wins out of 31 matches (ranked) and 9 wins out of 31 (unranked), I'm embarrassed >.>

Also, is Steve just absolutely unbeatable as Asuka? He's significantly faster than her, highly unpredictable and has infuriatingly annoying, spammable quick hits and hop/stomps that do significant damage.

16 wins out of 31 matches (ranked) and 9 wins out of 31 (unranked), I'm embarrassed >.>

Also, is Steve just absolutely unbeatable as Asuka? He's significantly faster than her, highly unpredictable and has infuriatingly annoying, spammable quick hits and hop/stomps that do significant damage.

Nah. It's just hard to find the right place to backdash/sidestep/duck/abare against him, but that's a problem -every- character has against Steve.

But Asuka has better range than him, her buttons aren't particularly slower, and she has amazing panic moves like b3 and d3+4. As an extra bonus, 2+3 is a FANTASTIC move against Steve since it autoparries punches and then launches for a bunch of damage.

LegendX48

Nah. It's just hard to find the right place to backdash/sidestep/duck/abare against him, but that's a problem -every- character has against Steve.

But Asuka has better range than him, her buttons aren't particularly slower, and she has amazing panic moves like b3 and d3+4. As an extra bonus, 2+3 is a FANTASTIC move against Steve since it autoparries punches and then launches for a bunch of damage.

The matches I played sure didn't seem like Asuka had better range. I'll have to try some of those out although d3+4 only got me into trouble

The matches I played sure didn't seem like Asuka had better range. I'll have to try some of those out although d3+4 only got me into trouble

I don't know why ppl suggest d3+4 as Asuka. You are better off with 1+2. One is safe on block. The other is not.

b+3 Is good you literally cannot throw out enough of them.

b+1 is good, esp against a bull rusher like Steve. If it doesn't trigger a counter hit hold D, d/f+2 to fish for One. If one doesn't trigger, fine, you got a couple of low pokes. But, CH b+1 give a you a throw into a mixup. CH D, d/f+2 gives you WS+1,4 f+2 for free.

Don't forget Asuka's powerful reversal. I am certain nobody knows how to chicken you yet. After being tossed on their heads a few times they will slow their roll.

Use d+2 when your opponent is a full character length away and you thing they will try to come in. Safe on block, plus frames on hit (do it again) and can be juggled on CH.

If you want to be offensive (warning, Asuka is DEFENSIVE), ff+3 is safe and has range.

Against Steve, d/f+2 ducks under high punches and launches. d/f+2, d/f+1, 1+4, 2,2, 1+2 and your combo ender of choice is the combo.

Not a fan of d/f+4. It's a keep out but she has better range with ff+3 or d+2. If you want to poke, d/f+3.

I see ppl use u/f+3 But I'm not a fan.

Learn the b+1+4 Mix-Ups. Most people can duck or react to the traditional 1+4, but this variant is faster and doesn't get you juggled if they block the low.

Seijuro

Cross post from the T7 meets sales target thread since I didn't get an answer there:

Have they completely fixed PS4s online mode yet?
Loved the game and played a ton on release, but after the initial "fix" of the online modes, that didn't really improve anything I dropped the game soon after. Would like to get back into it though if I don't have to wait 10 minutes for ranked match or don't stumble upon frequent connection errors in tournaments.

I don't know why ppl suggest d3+4 as Asuka

It's a 14f CH launcher that lowcrushes faster than a hopkick, why do you think? Because it's amazing.

You are better off with 1+2. One is safe on block. The other is not.

d3+4 is -6 on block, completely safe. What are you even talking about? 1+2 is -9, it's MORE unsafe on block.

1+2 is still great, it's a safe 15f NH launcher. But as a panic move it's pretty bad because of the short range and it doesn't crush anything either.

sasuke_91

Cross post from the T7 meets sales target thread since I didn't get an answer there:

Loved the game and played a ton on release, but after the initial "fix" of the online modes, that didn't really improve anything I dropped the game soon after. Would like to get back into it though if I don't have to wait 10 minutes for ranked match or don't stumble upon frequent connection errors in tournaments.

PS4 Online is great. I get a match every few seconds. Netcode is decent as well.

b+3 Is good you literally cannot throw out enough of them.

b+3 is suuper unsafe. I wouldn't recommend throwing that stuff out mindlessly. Even though ir has pushback, some characters can still launch you for it.

Deps

Matchmaking is really quick now. Some people still seem to have disconnection issues, but generally its fine now.

Online was straight garbage when the game out. It's considerably better now though.

It still can be a better experience though. God, just removing the loading screens from rematches would go such a long way.

Against Steve, d/f+2 ducks under high punches and launches. d/f+2, d/f+1, 1+4, 2,2, 1+2 and your combo ender of choice is the combo.

Addendum, that's not the combo you want at all. I don't know what that is.

df2 ff2,3 1,2,3 s! dash uf3 df3 is a good combo but hard.
df2 db4,3 2,1,1+2 s! ff2,1 is easy and only 2 points less.

In my opinion df2 isn't super dependable as a highcrush either, so i'd be careful with it. It has a few highcrush frame but they're in only in the middle. I think db1 is a good safe alternative, though the reward for hitting with it is small.

This is a topic that i've been wanting to touch on for a while. Keep in mind all I'm saying is from the perspective of someone who is new to Tekken.

Now that we've all gotten a chance to put a few months of playtime under our belts, I want to talk about the Rage system.

I'll start off. I hate Rage Arts. I absolutely dislike them. I feel they are way too much of a crutch that can reward a very low effort move with a comeback. I don't doubt that they're BALANCED, the mere fact that they can all be punished by avoiding/blocking them speaks to that. But it's a matter of fun. It adds a mindgame to the proceedings that I just don't think fits with the overall game, it just ruins the pace and the momentum way too much coupled with how much damage it does. Even when I use a Rage Art in a clutch situation and win, I still don't feel like I "earned" that win. I used what often feels like a get out of jail free card.

Rage DRIVES though are a whole different story. I love the concept of a comeback move that you can only use once but you have to be smart about how you use them. I love that they also have different properties and have different outcomes based on the character. Lars' Rage drive can literally let you get from one side of the stage to the other, Katarina's lets you end a combo but also lets you floor break so you can squeeze out more damage in certain situations, Claudio's creates an incredibly potent mixup situation, etc etc. It's something that you still have to earn, you can't just throw out a rage drive willy nilly, you actually have to be smart about implementing and creating a chance to use it.

The passive damage buff is something I'm a bit ehh on. Personally not a fan but it's not as big a deal as the Rage Arts.

Go watch the Easy Allies Tekken tournament. That convinced me Rage Arts & 1 button Rage Arts were a great decision. Helps make the game more fun for casuals.

cordy

Banned
Yep that's exactly why Harada said they added Rage Arts, for casuals and the visual spectacle. It's stuff like that which attracts others who aren't in the deep mechanics. It's like flashy entrances for wrestlers. Sure, you might care about the technical wrestling but the entrances and character aspects helps others.

Rajang

Not a fan of Rage Arts personally. Gameplay wise it doesn't add much. They also look very boring to me, the only ones I like are Devil Jin's and Yoshimitsu's. Other than that I rarely see it in higher level of play. Most players save rage for more damage or their rage drive. I see it a lot more in ranked in the lower levels.

Rage drives are a great addition though.

At the gaming events where i saw T7 before launch, the casual audience got suuuuper hyped about Rage Arts.

They can do the cool thing and maybe even win a round without studying all the things, and that's lovely. It's great that the RA command is right there on the loading screen too, such a small thing but so important.

Anyway, scumming out a round with an RA isn't 'free' as such once you get to a certain level. It's a big damn gamble to take unless you use it to whiff punish or if you see them throw out a move that you know you can survive and then hit. So you either guessed right and you should be rewarded, or you had the skill to use it perfectly and that's even better.

Anyway, personally i don't love RAs (i do love RDs), but i kinda prefer everyone having the big damage comeback thing rather than
just Paul. =D
only some characters. Coupled with how they are for the casual audience i'd definitely call them a net positive.

Deps

I don't like how a lot of the rage arts look, but I generally like their inclusion. They make end of the round situations really tense.

Onemic

I have no problem with RA's tbh. Especially good ones like Jin's and Steve's that can be used as a whiff punisher. It really isnt an easy way to take matches except at low levels I feel. It's far easier to get baited and punished with it than it is for you to steal a win. Tbh, getting hit by an RA always feels like it's my fault rather than the opponent using an easy 'cheap' mechanic.

The only real issue I have with RA's is that most look boring save a few.

Sayah

Rage arts suck because the background music stops when they're used and it ruins the flow of the match for me. Rage drives are a much better addition.

AAK

Aside from King, Miguel, Dragunov (FR, not Vanilla), and maybe Nina... the Rage Arts are artistically and creatively brankrupt. After looking at supers in Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, Mortal Kombat, Injustice, and hell, even Soul Calibur 5 Tekken is generations behind in making their supers visually appealing.

EDIT:
And judging by the liberal recycling of animations, we're probably stuck with them for decades! :D

Addendum, that's not the combo you want at all. I don't know what that is.

df2 ff2,3 1,2,3 s! dash uf3 df3 is a good combo but hard.
df2 db4,3 2,1,1+2 s! ff2,1 is easy and only 2 points less.

In my opinion df2 isn't super dependable as a highcrush either, so i'd be careful with it. It has a few highcrush frame but they're in only in the middle. I think db1 is a good safe alternative, though the reward for hitting with it is small.

That shouldn't have been d/f+2

Should have been d/b+2, d/b+1. 1+3, 2, 1, 1+2

Phone auto-corrected d/f+2 as d/f. I don't ever use d/f+2.

b+3 is suuper unsafe. I wouldn't recommend throwing that stuff out mindlessly. Even though ir has pushback, some characters can still launch you for it.

I have yet to find anyone brave enough to try and punish Asuka's b+3.

It's a 14f CH launcher that lowcrushes faster than a hopkick, why do you think? Because it's amazing.

d3+4 is -6 on block, completely safe. What are you even talking about? 1+2 is -9, it's MORE unsafe on block.

1+2 is still great, it's a safe 15f NH launcher. But as a panic move it's pretty bad because of the short range and it doesn't crush anything either.

I've gotten low parried out of the first kick from using d+3+4 too much. Dislike.

AAK

If you are getting a 14f move low parried consistently then you are being dramatically obvious with your patterns.

Sorry, messed it up again.

1+3 is supposed to be 1+4. It's used to "pick up" the other person after d/b+1

So

d/b+2, d/b+1. 1+4, 2, 1, 1+2 -> finisher like f,f+3 or f,f+1, (2 or 3)

If you are getting a 14f move low parried consistently then you are being dramatically obvious with your patterns.

Seems like they're more interested in eating mids while ducking or low parrying it. That's why I like 1+2.

*shrug*

I once played a law that ducked all 5 of my throw attempts. I couldn't believe it.

Perineum

Baiting out a rage art is so satisfying. Plus, if the opponent didn't have the RA, but wanted to absorb a move to damage you, they'd just opt for power crushes. Same concept, and a smidge less damage.

RA's give characters more personality and flair, and it is sick AF to break 100 damage with characters you couldn't normally thanks to a RA ender.

It's also created the sick game we watch now be possible. Comebacks are more frequent because you have to respect this guy doing a 1 button absorb hit super that can do 55+ damage.

That said, yes I hate when I want to pressure a low health player online who plays some gimmick ass trash shit with low launcher or mid launcher, and if I fuck up the block I'll eat damage from the combo, but if I go pressure him I'll eat shit from a RA. However, if I bait it out against these kinds of players the pure atpGasm cream in my jeans moment is priceless. Destroying their clutch is super satisfying.

It's a great mechanic akin to Ultra's in SF4, but not hella retarded like X factor in Marvel.

LegendX48

How do you approach Gigas? Played about 4 matches with a Gigas player and was just stumped the whole time. They were un-launchable and blocked nearly everything. Was stumped because blocking worked sometimes but not other times (lag maybe?) and I couldn't get the dude off the ground outside of one fluke.

unrelated:

That's the coolest Jack I've ever seen, matches were crazy laggy though lol

How do you approach Gigas? Played about 4 matches with a Gigas player and was just stumped the whole time. They were un-launchable and blocked nearly everything.

You approach him... carefully i guess?

He's a character with gigantic reach but very, very poor movement. You just have to keep an eye on what they're doing, basically any character can get up into Gigas' grill and lock him down with even the shittiest block pressure and then force him to guess on your mixup... -if- you can get to him without getting tagged.

In general, a good tool for that is run up a bit and then block outside of his range. See what he does. If it's nothing, do it again. You are now closer. Yay! If instead he swings at it, try to make it whiff or block it. Punish if you can, then advance.

If you keep getting tagged with stuff, they're just better at this aspect of the game than you are and you should practice this bit a lot. dash and stop. dash and sidestep. (Gigas' tracking is garbage in general, so keep sidestepping in mind) If they keep backdashing with more backdashing, walk them to the wall.

(As an extra thing to keep in mind, Gigas has a couple of safe strings that look mid but are high, such as the second hit of ff4,2, the third hit of df3,1+2,1+2 and SG1 which can come out after 2,1. You're supposed to duck and punish them. )

Gigas busting us certainly a sport, but not a fun one. They like to STAND THEIR GROUND.

I have never seen an aggressive Gigas. 100% of the time he appears, he plays keep out with his Jab and fish for launches with 2-hit strings that have such a massive delay between them that you might get tricked into interrupting him even though he has frame advantage on block. He does have at least one good low that might get you to duck so he can uppercut you. And then there are his throws if you get caught blocking next to him too much.

So if he hits you like 3 times he's at HP advantage and is content to make you come to him. So then he's trying to force a mistake.

Poke him with lows and get him to play out of his element.

Gin-Shiio

Am I late with this? Tekken 7 digital for $30.

I advice anyone jumping on this to create an account first by the way. I just clicked on the paypal option without having an account, was asked for a mail address, but never got to set a password. Now I'm unable to log in to claim my code, and don't receive mails to reset my password either. Something must have gone horribly wrong. Customer support will help me out on Monday.

On an unrelated note, I finally gave Eliza a proper shot and have found my main. I couldn't believe how fun she is to play. So many rush options and ways to back off from the opponent, it's amazing.

sasuke_91

Good games GrayFoxPL. I was feeling very confident with Hwo today. Your baiting by deliberately whiffing moves still gets me way too many times.
Just one piece of advice. When you're on the ground you always want to attack with a wake up 3 or 4. Sometimes it's just better to roll back. I started to always bait a wake up 3 at some point just to low parry you.

GrayFoxPL

Good games GrayFoxPL. I was feeling very confident with Hwo today. Your baiting by deliberately whiffing moves still gets me way too many times.
Just one piece of advice. When you're on the ground you always want to attack with a wake up 3 or 4. Sometimes it's just better to roll back. I started to always bait a wake up 3 at some point just to low parry you.

Sorry for shitty play, I was feeling so numb from painkiller I didn't pay attention in fight as I should. I just didn't want to miss another occasion to play you.

That pauses and disconnects were bummer, I played Squirrel for 4 hours 2 days ago and nothing like that happened.

How minus is Claudio's hopkick?

Can I punish it as Lars? Or as Katarina?

f+2,4 as Lars.

Top Bottom