• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

fernoca

No patch yet in NA, but finally managed 1 win in ranked and 1 win in player, so only need to fight a few more times for the 10 battles. XD

EDIT:
And got the Platinum!

mooncakes

I really wish this game had a at least a barebone tutorial mode, its doesnt have to be a decent one. You know, just basics things like teaching movement,what the different between lows, high or whatever. Just a basic explanation of terminologies in the Tekken game would be a great help.

I dont mine doing some research outside the game but at least give us something to start with. I know there is little tips on the loading screen but that is not enough.

So far, I am loving this game. I like the variety of combos you can do and the ways you approach opponent in this game.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
For anyone "exploiting" the trick to unlock stuff quickly, is it really faster to win 2000 matches versus having Katarina "auto fight" in treasure battle instead? I've left it running all day and already have so much unlocked from treasure battle fights, and it's showing as less than 180 matches.

In my experience, any low that grants a full combo (without counter hit) has a long startup and is very punishable on block. With practice, you should be able to block it on reaction relatively easily compared to everything else in the game, even online.

If not, hit training mode with Bryan as your opponent and get to it!

Yes that is true, knock-down lows have a longer start up. Online they are blockanle with blue and green, yellow is boarderline, and orange and red bars your just anticipating and getting lucky lol.

So, nearly a week later, I need to vent about a few things. Despite my enjoyment, I don't think Namco should settle for this as the new status quo going forward.

The story:
Honestly, they need to hire someone. Anyone. I offered for just my name in the credits. I really did. I contacted Harada after Tekken 6. It doesn't take much and the fact that this is what they came up with is pretty telling of where their deficiencies are. You may say "but Moon, it's a fighting game, who cares?" and I say obviously they do since they've spent time and money making and promoting what we got in 7. But it could have been so much more without altering the budget or the plot they wanted to go for.

I do find it funny how this tournament
was basically cancelled because of an exact Heihachi is dead fake-out as the one between 4 and 5 which renders every other fighter's story and reason for entry moot.
Which explains the lame character battles. If anything, they could have just made this TxSF and refocused on 7 and the plot after getting this UE engine trial and minimalist story out of the way.

Gameplay-wise, it's fan-fucking-tastic. Best in the series, for me and I'm reading similar in this thread which is great.

I can see why some modes were cut: the loading. I really am willing to bet their insecurity with the loading is why arcade is limited to as few matches as there are and why other staples are missing. Doesn't bother me, but I do wish the character battles had more meat. Guess Tekken 8 will feature closure for some of these developments.

Edit: I can't be the only one who thought that with a character like Claudio in the game, he'd be used a little more interstingly than as a means to
an underground network?
lol

I <3 Claudio.

wx5tzi3obg2z.jpg

MikeBison

Do we know what the rage quit penalties are? Just had it happen to me in a promotion match as the guy was about to eat a second 3-0 in a row :(

As a junior member on GAF, I am unable to post new threads, however I feel like we are missing a great opportunity to talk community wide about how Tekken/NAMCO can continue to build on their amazing new "Online Tournament Feature"

If a full member finds these thoughts worthy of it's own thread, perhaps they can start a thread about it? (Or if I'm just delusional please ignore.)

Here are my thoughts:

New Tekken "Online Tournament Feature", a must have for all future fighting games and how this can make NAMCO's future brighter.

Who saw this amazing Online Tournament feature coming from NAMCO? And if they leverage it right they can build their player-stickiness and increase the player base.

Specifically lets review the "must have feature" all fighting games got to have now and in the future a feature like Tekken 7' "Online Tournament" feature.

It's too good.

Finally a feature players can have a tournament at anytime of the week, and with anyone in the nation, from randoms to invited guest only. Why has this feature, executed so well, taken so long to come to the fighting game community?

So good in fact Tekken's Online Tournament feature can be a key cornerstone NAMCO can use to build the Tekken community into a powerhouse.

NAMCO seems to realize this on some level, as the "online tournament" system will be used this November for players to qualify regionally for NAMCO's World Tekken Championships.

Now let me detail some of the specifics of the Tekken 7 "Online Tournament" offering and we can see how this can be big, REALLY BIG.

First lets talk about that you can name the online tournament what ever you want, Of course I've seen silly Tournament Room names, like "Poop" (so creative)

However creating a Online Tournament with the name "New Mexico top players Versus ANYONE" and actually having New Mexico's best Tekken players in the room ready to rumble brings a new level of fun into the online matches.

Also Online tournament names such as "Beginners only" also helps the online community figure out where to go in the online tournament offering.

The tournament online offering is obviously a great tool, and so useful for players. However future Online Tournament version 2.0, 3.0 4.0 can be even better for NAMCO if they leverage it.

As I mentioned, already NAMCO is leveraging the online tournament offering in their world championships to some degree, but how deep? And more importantly how can they leverage it to build more players to buy Tekken 7 and future installments of the franchise?

We could stop now, and fighting games would have taken a notable and good step forward with the online tournament feature. But why stop there? Fighting Games have been progressive in the past, lets keep up the momentum!

So lets take it a step further and imagine a 2.0 offering. There are many more bells and whistles we can keep adding to a "online tournament" offering, but lets focus on one feature that could help continue to build a stronger foundation for Tekken and help increase the player stickiness and help increase the player base of Tekken.

Specifically to improve stickiness and increase player base Tekken can continue to be more social. And what does that really mean to be social? In the most basic form that means individuals coming together.

In in most basic form that would be a group of people. Other genres (Specifically shooting games) have had this aspect since their inception. For shooters they call their groups of people teams or clans. Tekken being progressive in its online tournament service offering can now leverage this aspect if NAMCO so chooses.

Why would NAMCO want to do this? Because if you can increase players stickiness to the game(Stay with it longer, keep more interest in the franchise) and that helps build the player base, this boils down to more sales. NAMCO should do it because it's good for the players and it's good for their company.

I know players want teams/clans in their fighting games if it's done correctly.

As a tournament provider myself, producing tournaments for over a decade and that have hosted over 16,000 attendees, at my events fighting game players would band together and ask "Can we have our team New Mexico play against Colortados team?" Or can we have our group/team of players fight their group/team?

It's in human nature to want to form social groups, and fighters have ignored this for far too long.

But not because fighters have not recognized it, there are many "team" events done in real life tournaments. But they normally are an after thought, not managed well enough to focus on highlighting the aspects of social interaction of true team play.

So we already know social aspects help a a company and help players, but what would those social aspects look like in real life?

How would you help those players socially bond together, and then how would you manage a team online tournament versus an opposing team?

Lets look at previous successful tools and get this solved for fighting games:

First we can look to Bungie's Destiny video game, Bungie is leading the way for a in-game clan system for consoles. NAMCO would do well to take note of allowing gamers to form clans/teams.

Lets image a Tekken team forms a clan online and they call themselves the "Almighty Super Team" (I would suggest team size of 3-6 players each team)

How does a one team match another team in a single player game?

Lucky for us we have another hugely successful game to guide us. Actually might be the most successful game in history, Chess.

Chess is also a single-player game. But just like most humans who want to socialize, chess players used an ingenious management system to allow team play that emphasizes the "team" aspect and that every player has a meaningful important role in the team.

It's a variant of the Swiss style tournament management system. To wrap this up quickly, here is how it goes:

Each player plays one opponent on the opposing team. If you win your match you get your team one point. The team with the most points at the end of the match(s) wins.

What nice about Swiss style is it allows for everyone to contribute to the team effort. Swiss style also allows more room for people who don't consider themselves very good at a game to have meaningful participation.

As the best players are usually pitted against one another, this leaves more room for average players to play on the margins of the team, yet still provide a contribution.

There are also variants, as player shifting and character banning can add depth of strategy that is entertaining to play and watch. But all these aspect are to lengthy to address here and now and really should be exploring in some of NAMCO's internal research.

So much opportunity NAMCO, I implore you to keep leading how you always have, our beloved fighting game genre needs smart, good leaders. You have consistently proven over the years you are that, smart, progressive, yet a keen ability to balance and not forget what makes a great game like Tekken possible.

Keep that momentum, and thank you for a great game in Tekken 7.

Nesther

Ranked works fine for me now, got into 3 matches right away, without any syncing issues. Pretty happy they fixed it! Although most infos regarding my opponent is lacking when a challenge prompt appears.
Haven't tried unranked yet.

MikeBison

Absolutely agree about the tournaments and props to Namco for getting the patch done for PS4 so quickly now.

All their facebook posts were on fire with people complaining. Works great now.

But.

Tournament mode needs to QOL features as well as the other modes.

Choose not to watch a match if you don't want it.
Migrate hosts when host leaves.
Shortening loading and synching times.

But when it's all working, this game is a thing of beauty.

"Tekken God Prime" ranked offline on PC after 743 matches mostly on treasure battles. Waiting for the patch to be available for download on PS4.

o8SZect.jpg

MikeBison

their name tag changes color. tahts it lol.

So when the match request comes up it's a different colour? That's bullshit.

Just fought a devil Kazuya for the first time and he hit me hard in the first two rounds with some shenanigans. But I started to learn and pulled it back to 3-2.

Gave him the runback and smashed him. Must have got in his head because he was pulling out raw rage arts every round. I just power crushed every single one of them. But then last round as the killing blow hits, de-synch. I don't get my win.

Fuck you marclose666

MikeBison

Yeah, win 100 rounds in a row perfect and you unlock devil Kazuya..

Shit, my bad. Devil Jin.

Either way, couldn't tell looking at the prick. Was unrecognisable.

My brain just did a forget about the current devil ha.

SkylineRKR

Well finally played online. Netcode is a okay.

Ranked went decent, player match I only did for the trophy. Tournament mode was fun, lost the grand final and got some decent rewards out of it.

Dartastic

I got bodied so hard last night at a local FGC thing. I kept getting caught by sweeps to 40% combos and highs to 40% combos. I'd block the low, I'd get caught by the high. Block the high, get caught by the low. Feels bad man. :(

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
No patch yet in NA, but finally managed 1 win in ranked and 1 win in player, so only need to fight a few more times for the 10 battles. XD

EDIT:
And got the Platinum!

Same here. What did you do to get more online fights? I am exhausted and sick of the error messages.

Mokujin

The shenanigans on that trade. My sodium levels would have been critical if I was that Jin. Clearly connects and goes THROUGH the Asuka's leg.

Asuka's b+3 crushes lows (and highs!!), that why that happens. It's quite the rage inducing move hahahahaha

CSX

For those sending me invites on PSN, sorry. I'm currently doing the "Set turbo mode to X button with Katarina in Treasure Mode" trick to unlock everything without having to play lol. I'm still available on PC though.

And i checked the google spreadsheet and we got almost 35 people on it. Looking good.

If you haven't added your info yet, quote this post to see the link so you can add your PSN, steam id, gamertag for other gaffers to match up with ya.

Maybe the link can be added onto the OT so I can stop reposting it?

fernoca

Same here. What did you do to get more online fights? I am exhausted and sick of the error messages.
Player Match was a no-no, so just stood in Ranked Warm Up. Every request went without issues, rematches went well too. Since I was no longer worried on winning, just playing...guess that helped too.

And answered my own question too, the 3 matches from a tournament I did a few days ago counted for the 10 fights, so only needed the rest of the fights.

Bigg_Oggy

Just booted up my ps4 and there is an update (US). Guess this is the patch they said would drop at the end of the week. Pretty damn fast. Gotta test out rank real quick.

So now that they've changed it can you at least see that the person is a rage quitter before accepting a match? That's not a good system. Put them in the jail.

Line_HTX

Don't know if anyone noticed, but the game will not allow you to combine Leo's Military Uniform with the Officer Cap.

Probably a great thing.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Player Match was a no-no, so just stood in Ranked Warm Up. Every request went without issues, rematches went well too. Since I was no longer worried on winning, just playing...guess that helped too.

And answered my own question too, the 3 matches from a tournament I did a few days ago counted for the 10 fights, so only needed the rest of the fights.

K, yea just been having horrendous luck getting anything to sync regardless of the three online modes.

Also, is the practice mode trophy cumulative? The one that requires 50,000 damage? I quit at ~15,000 last night after boredom and am hopeful it stacks.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
For anyone "exploiting" the trick to unlock stuff quickly, is it really faster to win 2000 matches versus having Katarina "auto fight" in treasure battle instead? I've left it running all day and already have so much unlocked from treasure battle fights, and it's showing as less than 180 matches.

Replying to my own post- Switched over to versus matches. I notice that all the regular parts are unlocked now after hours of "auto" treasure battle, but character-specific stuff, Katarina aside, isn't.

So now I'm gonna do the versus mode method to finish it out, still using Katarina. I set the game to 1 round, 30 second matches, have RK mapped to LK on the first controller and X/A taped down, and then player 2 has X/A set to nothing, but turbo is on so it can accept rematches, and left on the d-pad is taped down so the character moves forward and/or gets up. Seems to be working well and matches usually last six seconds.

Dereck

Whenever I play VS battle with another player, neither of us can get the options, share or touchpad button to work.

Anyone know what might be the problem?

How do I set VS rounds to 1 round?

Top Bottom