• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

49f5efc1383f3c9e1365ebdad9e20ecc.jpg

Watch this link I think you guys will get a kick out this trip back in time. Must See Link: KOF 3 promo Geese releasing Christmas?

GrayFoxPL

Had a bit of a "breakthrough" moment where I learned that you can punish strings that don't "stop" after they've been blocked. It was mainly Kazuya's 1,1,3,4 string.

Which also leads me to my question, Kazuya was -2 after the 1,1,3,4 string and everytime after blocking he did a crouching jab, which is a true mid. What button could I have pressed as Lars to counter hit that? Only buttons I could think of were ones that were either too slow and got hit out of or hit high and the opponent avoided them too. Was Power Crush the only option there?I've just come to accept the fact that even if I play at my absolute best, there might be a round or two where I just lose in a few seconds.

Hopkicks beat d+1 after 1,2,4,3. I know because I have bad habit of doing that and get killed for it. Lars uf+3 should work.

As much as I have been playing fighting games, I do not have fond memories of Geese. I played Samurai Showdown and KoF instead of Fatal Fury.

I would have been excited about Rugal DLC.

Duck jabs are special meds; moves that you can block either standing or crouching with the ability to low parry (if they're not projectiles) and low crush them. Your best option there is to low parry the third hit of Kazuya's 1,2,4,3 and not allow him to continue the string.
In hindsight, I feel like an idiot for not realizing this lol. I really need to start low parrying more often, it would really help against a lot of characters. Had a Yoshimitsu player who would do that weird unblockable low sweep and I just kept getting hit by it because I couldn't do a move in time. Low parrying was probably the way to beat that too!

Hopkicks beat d+1 after 1,2,4,3. I know because I have bad habit of doing that and get killed for it. Lars uf+3 should work.
Ahh ok, thanks!

After taking a couple weeks break when Destiny 2 came out I finally got back on T7 last week and climbed all the way up to vindicator.

Then something happened(I dont know what) and I went on a ridiculous losing streak and went all the way back down to Brawler.

Now between yesterday and today I've made it back to Warrior with my Steve. I dont what it is with this game. Its a roller coaster for me, but one I never want to get off of lol.

If anyone ever wants some practice against Steve Fox on PS4 send me an invite/Friend Request at DoubleDeazy2

It's true what they say, fighting a mirror is one of the best ways to learn your character!

Pretty fun back and forth, dude was clearly a Tekken vet because he was "abusing" all the good buttons like d/f+1 and d/f+2,1 and stuff. he was Juggernaut rank with his "main" character.

Though what did get me was the d/f+1. It seems like a fantastic button as it hits mid, is only -1 oB and +5 oH leading to great CH situations. What could I have done to deal with this situation? The only buttons that were fast enough to deal with this were my 1 and 2 as they're both i10. All other buttons were too slow if he went for a 1 or 2 of his own! It seemed like some amazing pressure setups that I'm kicking myself for not using too.

In hindsight, I feel like an idiot for not realizing this lol. I really need to start low parrying more often, it would really help against a lot of characters. Had a Yoshimitsu player who would do that weird unblockable low sweep and I just kept getting hit by it because I couldn't do a move in time. Low parrying was probably the way to beat that too!

Ahh ok, thanks!

There are some lows that you can't low parry no matter what, you won't be able to low parry sword (Yoshi's FC db,b1 and uf2), shoulder (Feng's qcf1) or knee low hits.
What are the best punishers for Dragunov?

2, 1
4, 1
Df 2?

I'm really terrible at block punishing with him

b3 is his 14f punisher, it can wallsplat near the wall.

Still struggling with...everything with Raven.

I never feel like I'm ever in control of the match. Just throwing out random stuff and hoping it works.

Ff+3 is such a fickle launcher. A second ff+3 right after does not always connect, and d/f+2,3 is not always in range after contact.

I need to put in like 100 hours on this char....

Doomshine

Though what did get me was the d/f+1. It seems like a fantastic button as it hits mid, is only -1 oB and +5 oH leading to great CH situations. What could I have done to deal with this situation? The only buttons that were fast enough to deal with this were my 1 and 2 as they're both i10. All other buttons were too slow if he went for a 1 or 2 of his own! It seemed like some amazing pressure setups that I'm kicking myself for not using too.

at -1 it's pretty much a guessing game since you both have a lot of options. Your jab will beat his, but he can easily sidestep it and blow you up for it too. Sometimes the best thing to do is just to backdash or sidestep and see what they do.

Anyone on Ps4 want some matches?

What region?

at -1 it's pretty much a guessing game since you both have a lot of options. Your jab will beat his, but he can easily sidestep it and blow you up for it too. Sometimes the best thing to do is just to backdash or sidestep and see what they do.

What region?

You still down? NA btw

GrayFoxPL

Confucius once said: When in doubt: dick punch.

d+1

There are some lows that you can't low parry no matter what, you won't be able to low parry sword (Yoshi's FC db,b1 and uf2), shoulder (Feng's qcf1) or knee low hits.
Dang. So unblockable and unparriable and high crushes? Jesus. That move is probably beastly online.

I figured as much. Just seemed like a really good pressure tool and I should definitely incorporate that into my pressure strings.

Confucius once said: When in doubt: dick punch.

d+1
Confucious was a smarter man than I.

One of the things that I appreciate about having T7 on PC is being able to play the game with a decent image quality, Tekken always suffered in that respect every time the game transitions from the arcades to make the game run perfectly, Tag 2 on PS3 looked jaggy as hell from having a bad anti aliasing solution in addition to running on sub 720p, now I can play a Tekken game that runs good, plays good and looks beautiful.

I'm a fan of running PC games on the absolute max settings and spend a lot of time taking screenshots, here are some shots downsampled from 8K :

Man that looks sooo good. As a base PS4 owner, I'm jealous.

I'm definitely gonna double dip on the PC version when I upgrade my PC next year, hopefully the community holds for the PC version.

For the first time ever, I feel like I was in total control of my matches with Master Raven.

Following up ff+3 with d/f+2,3 instead of another ff+3 has been a game changer.

In fact d/f+2,3 followed by LAB 3+4 has put the fear of God into some of the people I have played against.

I need to practice the timing of qcf+2, ff+4. There is a sweet spot in the animation or if you do it too early OR too late, it misses.

Thank you kingojack for showing me the way.

Not sure how I feel about low-tier folks low-parrying me with a high frequency, but failing to follow up with any kind of punish and they eat lots of launchers.

$35 Tekken 7 on PSN is double-dip territory.

I'll wait for Christmas though. It's going to be funny hopping on PS4 as a kyu tearing through folks, lol.

leveling up my Josie, high blue/early green ranks are lousy with Kazuyers who like to mix you up with hellsweeps/uppercuts on oki. Is there something I'm missing or is this just a 50/50 guessing game? What's my best wakeup option here?

AAK

leveling up my Josie, high blue/early green ranks are lousy with Kazuyers who like to mix you up with hellsweeps/uppercuts on oki. Is there something I'm missing or is this just a 50/50 guessing game? What's my best wakeup option here?

When you techroll right after hitting the ground you are guaranteed to not get hit before waking up but the timing is much more predictable for the opponent to mix you up into another guessing game.

If you stay grounded Kazuya can still hit you with ground-hitting moves like f,f+4 and such but if you do get hit (and you're not at the wall) you are a fair distance away from kazuya where you have the opportunity to techroll with more breathing room.

While staying on the ground you can also try other things like siderollling to the foreground/background and then waking up at variable times to throw off the opponents timing.

And if the opponent is trying to pit-bull you nonstop with no regard for defense then hitting them with wakeup kicks like the Chinese 3+4 getup (if you are face-up-feet-towards) are very strong options in T7.

Also, if you're playing Josie her f+4 has monstrous range, is safe, and mid. If you are constantly having trouble with Kazuya players getting into a dangerous range where you're not sure what to do, that button is really good at checking them before they reach that range. An even better move is standing 3 which is a safe 13 frame mid with pretty good range considering the button. Its reach is no where near as monstrous as f+4 but it's 3 frames faster which is a pretty big deal. It's also the range at which d+4 also hits, so you can pester with both of those buttons.

But overall you only need those buttons if you aren't adjusted to the Kazuya player's patterns and timings. If you have already gauged your opponents timings and patterns and can predict when he/she will throw certain moves out, just sidestep and sidewalk left and punish. Beware of stuff like d/f+2 but that is a punishable move so that means you forced the Kazuya player to start taking risks.

Thanks, that's all very helpful stuff! I really have to be more mindful of my wakeup game. I hardly ever press buttons on wakeup but that's something that gets me plenty of times.

Kalentan

I just got this cause of Payday + on sale (due to VR, will have to try that out sometime.)

And man... I needed this. Every fighting game I've played this gen has been 2D planes.

To have a 3D fighter again is nice.

Dereck

Tekken has dropped tutorials because players don’t use them
We got the chance to ask Tekken producer Katsuhiro Harada directly.

“We can tell with most of our games which modes players are spending time in,” says Harada. “We have that data in our company. You hear a lot of people say this game is great because it has a tutorial but when we look at the data, not many people play these tutorial modes. This is the same when you buy something new, you take it home and you don’t read the manual. It’s a positive for your product if you can say you have a tutorial but when you take a closer look you notice that people aren’t really playing it.“

That’s not to say Tekken has given up entirely on easing players into the game. Harada tells us that Tekken 7’s “story mode was envisioned on teaching the player with baby steps whilst playing the game.” This direction came out of Tekken Tag Tournament 2’s fight lab mode, where players learned the game while playing.

“As you’re playing through the story mode,” says Harada, “you naturally learn things like, ‘oh, this can be side stepped’ or ‘this character has this powerful special move if I learn how to use it properly.’ In the story mode, you can perform these with a simplified command so once you know about it, you can practice to perform this with the normal command.”

Dereck

All I've heard is UE4 patching out 2 frames of lag, but even if that happens the game itself on PS4 would have to be applied to that new version of UE4 and I don't know how that works.

All I've heard is UE4 patching out 2 frames of lag, but even if that happens the game itself on PS4 would have to be applied to that new version of UE4 and I don't know how that works.

Incredibly unlikely that they actually port it to the new version. Way too much time and effort involved and too much risk of shit just not working to be worth it just for the sake of reducing input lag.

Fired up my Asuka and immediately got demoted by this Lee, who taught me like 10 times that his Hitman ducks under wakeup 4, but I never learned the lesson and ate a juggle.

Got back on with her the next day and queued another Asuka of the same rank, but they had 1330 wins versus my 300.

I deathmatched them. They arrived facing a demotion and immediately tore through me two rounds straight. I stuck around. We went back and forth, with me facing two demotions on two separate occasions, and them facing two more them selves. This Asuka mirror match went on for like 20 min, we disconnected (game failed to load, so I exited and restarted and the game gave me a finger-shaking) and reconnected, and played for another 10-15 minutes.

We are all respectful, not hitting each other after the KO and stuff. Eventually, he failed to convert his demotion chance, and when I hit him last, HE PLUG PULLED!

Nooooo, what you gotta be like that, lose a deathmatch fair and square and try to dodge? That's bad rep.

Virtua Fighter 4 had the most elaborate tutorial I have ever seen.

But that's VF. The most niche of niche. IDK why you would need a tutorial for Street Fighter or Tekken.

Is this real life? lol.

Street fighter I can still understand but Tekken? That **** is complicated AF.

I think the problem with conversations like these, especially among enthusiasts, is that most look to emulate the pros.

I disagree with that vision. Most folks just want to have a good time, casually. If I were home, I'd post a screenshot of a guy I played against in unranked who is Beginner rank with 2000+ wins.

There's this one guy on my FB page who is always posting PS4 clips of his maybe-Grandmaster level characters, and he's owned the game since day one.

That's the kind of audience that Bamco is going after. 2000+ win guy in unranked. Braggadocious Expert level dude. The pro scene alone isn't profitable, because few people have the time to git (that) gud.

No one ever expects a tutorial mode to make them good at the game, and expecting one to do so is borderline insane. So I don't know what this "emulate pros" thing is coming from in regards to a tutorial mode.

What I expect from a tutorial mode is basically what DoA5 already has. A system that teaches you how high/mid/lows work, how sidestepping works, how juggles work, what ideal combos look like, how power crushes/homing moves work and how to break throws.

The people who genuinely care about getting better will learn this stuff either through people who already play the game or by looking up guides and tutorials online. Sure this stuff exists and if you want to learn you still can, but it is inexcusably more time consuming to find guides and tutorials online for the things you want to focus on.

I don't expect a tutorial mode to teach the best moves of a character, give breakdowns for each character, what the best combos look like, how to KBD, or ideal punishes, or frame data. The majority of people don't care about that stuff being knowing how to block and how to break throws and how to sidestep are things that even casual players can benefit from knowing since this is basic stuff, and the ones that do care about it will find it on their own regardless of how "more difficult" it is to find.

Hell, this is the first Tekken I've actually tried to get good at. I thought having a solid background and understanding of high level 2D fighting games would help me, I can assure you it didn't AT ALL. It really is different enough to the point where I was learning a whole new genre. And I can tell you that having a tutorial in-game to teach me the stuff I mentioned above would have made my starting days so much more easier and so much more manageable.

Top Bottom