• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7's Harada: Cross Play Unlikely (cites First Party Policies and PC Hacks)

AAK

Thanks to Flying Wonkey for the Translation

It's not a matter of the technology for getting the PS4/XB1/PC players to match up against each other being the issue, but rather first party company policies and potential security risks alongside the community perceived reputation of PC gamers being cheaters that is hindering the decision to allow cross platform play as explained by Tekken project leader Katsuhiro Harada on Twitter to a fan question.

Original Tweet:

BtEG5GK.png

Well, thanks first parties I guess ?
Although, Rocket League is cross play between PS4 and XB1 users on PC. Why can't they do it ?

cordy

Banned
I don't mind tbh. Sucks for some people but I'll make due like I always make due. I'm getting the PS4 AND PC versions and I'm going to be throwing hands at anybody in my way.

Come by and get these Wind God Fists. I'm out chea.

Well, thanks first parties I guess ?
Although, Rocket League is cross play between PS4 and XB1 users on PC. Why can't they do it ?

do xbone and Ps4 players get to play? from my understanding it's Ps4 x PC and xbone x PC, but all 3 platforms don't cross.

i guess that means sony never said yes when mS did

TGMIII

Well that sucks though I understand the reason, PC hacks are common especially for fighting games like SFV.

Have you got any examples of common hacks for fighting games?

Unless you're talking about cosmetic modding the only thing I can think of is people being able to play as Urien online before he was officially out and that's far from being harmful. Leaderboard abuse is the one harmful thing I can come up with and that has more to do with how it was implemented that leads to it being abused.

Is there rampant cheating on PC with SF5 and KI?

No.

No fucking excuse when SFV and KI does this just fine...

Just admit it, you wanted cross-play for all three platforms and you know that you cant do it. So instead of letting at least two different communities play and leave out the other. You just wont let anyone play together at all.

There are a few mods for SFV in the past like the Trainer mod but Capcom did enforce this recently so you can't modify the EXE file.

So there are risks for making multiplayer cross platform on PC.

As long as you have some decent solutions, the risk is low. Half of the time people complaining about cheats are just people who can't handle a lose.

Eolz

That line about PC is pretty dumb.
Sounds like it's Sony and MS not agreeing on something and Harada justifying it poorly.
Shame to have the community for this game broken up then. Will go PC while friends will go on PS4 :/

As long as you have some decent solutions, the risk is low. Half of the time people complaining about cheats are just people who can't handle a lose.

I'm sure the PC community for Tekken 7 will be strong enough, as long as the port is good than everything will be fine.

I'm sure the PC community for Tekken 7 will be strong enough, as long as the port is good than everything will be fine.

Do you think so? I'm not so sure. Fighting games tend to have it rough on PC without cross play in my experience.

At the same time, Tekken is a bugger name than most I suppose.

Yudoken

Rocket League works perfectly fine and SF V only has some minor problems like ranking stat boosters and fight money cheating (but honestly that would be a lot less of a problem if they basically make them impossible to beat and necessary for FM and colors. Paying for them with FM is not a fix in my opinion but it's a beginning).

We need at least PC vs PS4/Xbox One (that's currently possible until Sony allows xplay with Xbox) so people can get more connections and players all around the world.

Xplay needs to be in almost any game.

AlucardGV

Banned
i'm sure devs, who have tools to gather informations, know better than the average forum user if there are lots of cheaters
otherwise capcom won't bother wasting time and money making a anticheating system, uh

And you can see another example of half-informed hand-wringing over Dem Hackers take its toll in rolling back great recent forward momentum in the genre.

epmode

Creating a cheat-free environment on PC is tougher than consoles due to the open nature of the platform.

The problem is that some multiplatform devs barely acknowledge this during development and they do really stupid things like trusting the client for vital data. This isn't a big deal on modern consoles since they haven't been hacked so players can't exploit the code. ..but it's death for a competitive PC community.

Hopefully Tekken 7 has the proper anti-cheat methods in place. It's disappointing that Tekken 7's cross-play was scrapped due to the poor perception of PC multiplayer games when the problem is caused by poor development practices, not the platform itself.

MUnited83

For you.
People should actually read the quote. "Community preceived reputation"
Well that sucks though I understand the reason, PC hacks are common especially for fighting games like SFV.
They aren't. The only hacks for SFV that work are the ones that give currency. There's no hacks that actually affect online gameplay.

RPGCrazied

Still waiting on some sort of news about the Xenosaga HD collection he teased us with years ago.

I know it was just a dream, but why get the fans hopes up?

Sorry about the off topic, but didn't know where else to vent.

Creating a cheat-free environment on PC is tougher than consoles due to the open nature of the platform.

The problem is that some multiplatform devs barely acknowledge this during development and they do really stupid things like trusting the client for vital data. This isn't a big deal on modern consoles since they haven't been hacked so players can't exploit the code. ..but it's death for a competitive PC community.

Hopefully Tekken 7 has the proper anti-cheat methods in place. It's disappointing that Tekken 7's cross-play was scrapped due to the poor perception of PC multiplayer games when the problem is caused by poor development practices, not the platform itself.

Tekken 7 cross-play was most likely scrapped first and foremost because of 1st party policies. My guess: They wanted cross play between all 3 platforms and didn't wanted to just get between two platforms.

1st party policies I can understand, but citing cheating as a reason not to include a mode is cheap. Fix it, do something about it, but not adding a mode because of that is odd. Cheaters are not binded with one mode.

TGMIII

That line about PC is pretty dumb.
Sounds like it's Sony and MS not agreeing on something and Harada justifying it poorly.
Shame to have the community for this game broken up then. Will go PC while friends will go on PS4 :/

It's pretty pathetic that he chose to use the ignorance of some people to justify what is pretty clearly a business decision holding it up but it works in diverting blame since we're already seeing people eat it up in this thread.

i'm sure devs, who have tools to gather informations, know better than the average forum user if there are lots of cheaters
otherwise capcom won't bother wasting time and money making a anticheating system, uh

If we use SFV as an example the "cheating" happening on PC was players unlocking colours and Fight Money without going through the proper channels. Obviously they should be stopped but it was due to Capcoms botched implementation that allowed it to happen in the first place. It's something they could have avoided from the start but didn't take the proper steps to do so until a few days ago yet they knew it was going on for months. There's very clear signs that SFV has major development issues and many of the problems stem from that.

In regards to cheating on the level of infinite health, 1-hit KOs and other blatant cheating, none of that happens. The DLC characters being playable online before release is a legitimate concern but arguable how harmful it is but I would safely bet it won't be a problem with future characters.

LordRaptor

I mean, sure, Namco have all those PC ports of titles like Tekken and Soul Calibur to harvest data from to make this statement.

It also means if a console ever does get exploited, or a particular title gets a user access exploit, it just absolutely gets torn a new one and becomes literally unplayable.
Absolute trust in a client is not a very sensible software engineering principle.

The easiest possible response on the PC side of things is providing server files for customers to host their own servers, and a server browser built into the game.
Admin overwatch is vastly superior to any possible heuristics based anti-cheat.

Top Bottom