• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

It's pretty easy to go back and forth between firmware as long as you have the file, anyway. It still pushes to me, but I always cancel it. Should probably look into blocking it on my router.

Crazy if you think about it. That you have to go to such lengths because LG does all that shit, goddamn.

It's 05.30.03, latest one available in Finland. I just tried the new Gran Turismo demo on my (base) PS4 and HDR seems to look fine.

I tried to compare HDR Game with HDR Standard and it's maybe very slighty dimmer, I'm using the Digital Foundry video settings for the picture.

Mine is still at 04.31.10.

I don't want to risk getting issues, so I'm not gonna upgrade to newer firmware, if there is even a new one for my country. Also HDR Standard and HDR game are pretty similar in terms of brightness? Same here actually. But it's HDR bright and vivid that are much brighter than both. How are those for you?

100% agree and I made that comment before I even planned to get my B6. It's horrible.

It's not possible to enable/disable HDR in the OLED settings itself right? I ask this because of the highly annoying stuff with the Xbox Netflix app. Always enabling HDR no matter what content, sigh.

Oh and for Netflix 4K. You guys got Sharpness all the way to zero? I'm noticing some grain in the new show Suburra. Or maybe that's just the show. But since I sit so much closer to the screen now it could be that too. But I was told this was a fine distance, closer would be even more preferable.

thematic

I would like to ask anyone opinions

currently I'm using old Samsung 46LA530 and would like to upgrade to 4K TV
I was using 43KU6000 for 1 month before I sold it to my friend

I'm impressed with the HDR in KU6000 series (cheapest 4K from Samsung without Wide Color Gamut)

how's the difference between KU6000 series with KS8000/KS7000 one? I hear KS8000 is one of the best HDR TV.

I'm asking because currently I can get 55MU6100 (55MU6300 in US) for $800 and 49KS8000 for $1300. and I don't know which one to get.

I prefer bigger TV but I really don't want to miss "one of the best TV" if the quality is way better. 55KS8000 is way too expensive for me (around $1700).

Thank You

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
Reading this thread is terrifying. Please help!

I'm thinking about getting the LG OLED55B7V 55.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XVMNVD5/

So to start, should i get this? Should i be looking at something else for a good 2017 OLED?

If i get this, what should i do, what shouldn't i do?

Id always just update to the latest firmware. I shouldn't?

For other background info, i would have this connected to a Denon AVR-X2400h AV receiver and a PS4 Pro.

Any help super appreciated, i don't want to shell out £1800 to then figure out i made a bad decision,

I have that TV and it's very good. In general you should not worry, the picture quality is superb. One of the best TVs out there, folks in here and many reviewers will probably agree.

Unfortunately, HDR game mode is dimmed due to a descision from LG. My TV was shipped with the latest firmware, and from what I know there is no way downgrading to earlier firmware on LG 2017 series. How you experience HDR game mode as too dim or not, will vary depending who you ask I think.
There is ways around this (PC input mode on HDMI or simply enable dynamic contrast) but it's not without compromises.

Of course LG have the possibility to fix this, no one can know that for sure if they will though. So recommending this TV for HDR gaming with this current status of firmware.. I don't know.. this dimmer HDR mode appears different depending what game you play also. I personally would recommend it though, I value deep blacks :) if you choose to get it, theres some good sites to look at for basic calibration (rtings, avs forum, flatpanelshd).

Finally got my 75" Sony 900 on the wall and it's fantastic so far, but I haven't been able to get much time on it yet.

I decided to not keep the 64" Samsung plasma (pn64d550) that it's replacing and want to sell it. What's a reasonable price for a 6-year old plasma? I want to move it quick enough, but also don't want to give it away. Is $350-$400 fair?

ShinAmano

C7 is on sale (and free wall mounting)...would get for games and movies. Is the hdr issue I see above for the b7 present here? About to pull the trigger.

Ashhong

C7 is on sale (and free wall mounting)...would get for games and movies. Is the hdr issue I see above for the b7 present here? About to pull the trigger.

Be careful if you plan on using a credit card to price match that to a lower price. Those companies don't like bundled services, even if it's something like wall mounting.

And the C7 has issues with HDR gaming IIRC. Or something. They all apparently have issues lol.

ShinAmano

Be careful if you plan on using a credit card to price match that to a lower price. Those companies don't like bundled services, even if it's something like wall mounting.

And the C7 has issues with HDR gaming IIRC. Or something. They all apparently have issues lol.
Ugh...just want a quality tv 4k with her that works great for gaming and movies.

Ashhong

Ugh...just want a quality tv 4k with her that works great for gaming and movies.

If it helps, I think the LG OLEDs have no problem with HDR movies and shows. I think it's just gaming HDR, and even then it's only some games. I think it's a fantastic TV and would recommend it easily. There's also the Song X900E that should be very good for HDR gaming and movies

Well I hanged my tv on the wall and I’m passing the wires through the wall as well so the hdmi cable won’t reach now.

Worth noting that, depending on where you live, you technically (legally) need a CL2 rated HDMI cable if it's going in the wall. Otherwise you run the risk of your insurance being invalidated.

ShinAmano

If it helps, I think the LG OLEDs have no problem with HDR movies and shows. I think it's just gaming HDR, and even then it's only some games. I think it's a fantastic TV and would recommend it easily. There's also the Song X900E that should be very good for HDR gaming and movies
I'm probably going for it. Been dying to see horizon in 4k...and 1x is less than a month out. :)

zeeaykay

I also wouldn't underplay SDR gaming on an OLED. I've been dipping back into some games like Halo 5 and Ori (my god, Ori) it FEELS like HDR compared to my previous LCD set. Not to mention how responsive it us. HDR or not the contrast and clarity of the screen is astounding. I can't imagine how incredible actual HDR will look, but don't forget that it's not a standard by any means yet.

I also wouldn't underplay SDR gaming on an OLED. I've been dipping back into some games like Halo 5 and Ori (my god, Ori) it FEELS like HDR compared to my previous LCD set. Not to mention how responsive it us. HDR or not the contrast and clarity of the screen is astounding. I can't imagine how incredible actual HDR will look, but don't forget that it's not a standard by any means yet.

Absolutely agree. Ori looked great, Cuphead looks great, Overwatch looks great (esp at native 1080p120). Lots of great lookin SDR stuff out there.

ShinAmano

Good to hear :)

nomis

I realize not everyone has ideal viewing conditions, but some blackout curtains from amazon were a cheap and great investment, and in the dark, HDR Game still gets bright enough in the highlights to hurt my eyes. OLED also has the most instant input response of any screen I've used that wasn't a computer monitor. It makes games more fun to not be fighting lag just to play on a TV.

III-V

I realize not everyone has ideal viewing conditions, but some blackout curtains from amazon were a cheap and great investment, and in the dark, HDR Game still gets bright enough in the highlights to hurt my eyes

Darkness really helps to appreciate the blacks, enhanced contrast and subsequent dynamic range as well.

I realize not everyone has ideal viewing conditions, but some blackout curtains from amazon were a cheap and great investment, and in the dark, HDR Game still gets bright enough in the highlights to hurt my eyes. OLED also has the most instant input response of any screen I’ve used that wasn’t a computer monitor. It makes games more fun to not be fighting lag just to play on a TV.

Not everyone has straight walls for a curtain ^_~

ShinAmano

I realize not everyone has ideal viewing conditions, but some blackout curtains from amazon were a cheap and great investment, and in the dark, HDR Game still gets bright enough in the highlights to hurt my eyes. OLED also has the most instant input response of any screen I’ve used that wasn’t a computer monitor. It makes games more fun to not be fighting lag just to play on a TV.
Room can be completely closed off...two windows could get some blackout for them. Mostly game at night so not a giant issue. Can't wait.

Red-Town

Worth noting that, depending on where you live, you technically (legally) need a CL2 rated HDMI cable if it's going in the wall. Otherwise you run the risk of your insurance being invalidated.

That’s good to know, will have to look into it before I make a purchase then. Thanks for the heads up, but if that’s now an issue will any 2.1 hdmi cable work?

TheBear

requoting this because a bunch of people thought I was having resolution issues when I wasn't. The issue, as far as I can tell, is the TV is picking up a HDR signal but no HDR content is playing so the colour is off. Does that make sense? The Netflix logo for example is a deep red colour on the TV app but a crimsony brown colour on Ps4. I can only use PS4 as it has a better wireless connection. Can't do wired.

FYI fixed this by switching off the PC input back to game console. Input lag be damned i want my colours lol

Smokey

HDR OR BUST M8

nomis

You won't regret it. HDR Game mode will ideally only get brighter with updates, but again the experience of the screen is so good it makes me not want to watch in non-ideal lighting anyways. And your collection of 1080p SDR blu-rays etc. will literally never look better than on an OLED at night imo.

ShinAmano

You won’t regret it. HDR Game mode will ideally only get brighter with updates, but again the experience of the screen is so good it makes me not want to watch in non-ideal lighting anyways. And your collection of 1080p SDR blu-rays etc. will literally never look better than on an OLED at night imo.
Yeah I'll have to fire up some Disney blu ray...no 4k until 1x drops.

Weevilone

That’s good to know, will have to look into it before I make a purchase then. Thanks for the heads up, but if that’s now an issue will any 2.1 hdmi cable work?

I'm not aware of any HDMI 2.1 cables existing at this point, but if so then you'll need one rated to go inside a wall.

Ashhong

I'm sad that I don't have any 4K stuff to watch on my OLED, but I really don't want to invest in a player and more movies. I can probably count on two hands the number of times that I've watched any of my collection of blurays. Ughhhh

Are good 4k players cheap yet or should I wait until after CES if I'm not in a hurry?

Bought a 65" Samsung M9000 and pretty damn stoked to try it out when it arrives tomorrow. I've never spent so much on a TV. I really like the picture quality and based on reviews the input lag is about the same if not better than KS8000.

Still disappointed PS4 Pro doesn't have 4K Blu Ray and I'm sure Netflix 4k isn't as good.

el3m

Neo Member
For the love of god, don't do the upgrade on a whim (the downgrade process is quite involved) unless you're ok with the potential for raised blacks. Unlike the experience of yourself and another user who said they can't see elevated blacks in SDR content, myself (and many on AVS forum) are suffering from raised blacks with no way of getting zero blacks with this firmware.

You should ensure that you're be able to do the downgrade of course, I didn't realize that the process was convoluted.

I agree that this whole situation with different firmwares and issues is complete shit from LG, the main point of OLED is the black level.

My theory is that there is some internal hardware revisions in play (i've tested the black level issue in completely dark room, no difference tv on or off).

You just need to find one that’s in Wall rated. And 2.0b is most current, no 2.1 yet. As long as it’s rated for 18.2 gbps, it’ll pass hdr and 4k, so find one of those that’s in Wall rated and you’re good. Should be plenty. Looks like a bunch of cheap ones on amazon

I have that TV and it's very good. In general you should not worry, the picture quality is superb. One of the best TVs out there, folks in here and many reviewers will probably agree.

Unfortunately, HDR game mode is dimmed due to a descision from LG. My TV was shipped with the latest firmware, and from what I know there is no way downgrading to earlier firmware on LG 2017 series. How you experience HDR game mode as too dim or not, will vary depending who you ask I think.
There is ways around this (PC input mode on HDMI or simply enable dynamic contrast) but it's not without compromises.

Of course LG have the possibility to fix this, no one can know that for sure if they will though. So recommending this TV for HDR gaming with this current status of firmware.. I don't know.. this dimmer HDR mode appears different depending what game you play also. I personally would recommend it though, I value deep blacks :) if you choose to get it, theres some good sites to look at for basic calibration (rtings, avs forum, flatpanelshd).

When did you get your B7? and have you updated the firmware from the version it came with?

Smokey

I'm sad that I don't have any 4K stuff to watch on my OLED, but I really don't want to invest in a player and more movies. I can probably count on two hands the number of times that I've watched any of my collection of blurays. Ughhhh

Are good 4k players cheap yet or should I wait until after CES if I'm not in a hurry?

Nothing? No gaming? You're primarily watching 1080p content on the screen?

There's plenty of streaming 4k content to try. I mean YouTube 4k content is free.

Nothing is going to look as good as UHD Blu Ray tho. Planet Earth II, whew. Movies is where the total package of OLED shines best - black levels, HDR, colors, etc.

Red-Town

I'm not aware of any HDMI 2.1 cables existing at this point, but if so then you'll need one rated to go inside a wall.

As you can see I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to this things. So whats this thing people keep saying about LG tvs having issues with HDR gaming? will there be a fix for this?

Deepo

Got my C7 today. All I can say is: HNNNNNNNNNNNNG

sfI4YXj.jpg

Ashhong

Nothing? No gaming? You're primarily watching 1080p content on the screen?

There's plenty of streaming 4k content to try. I mean YouTube 4k content is free.

Nothing is going to look as good as UHD Blu Ray tho. Planet Earth II, whew. Movies is where the total package of OLED shines best - black levels, HDR, colors, etc.

Like 95% 1080p. I know there's stuff to try, I even have Amazon Prime streaming, but I don't care for most of it really. But stuff like my favorite movies in 4K with HDR is very tempting..

Man, that C7 stand is so much nicer than the B7. I wonder if it fits onto the B7? Doesn't matter since I mounted it anyway I guess..

Smokey

Like 95% 1080p. I know there's stuff to try, I even have Amazon Prime streaming, but I don't care for most of it really. But stuff like my favorite movies in 4K with HDR is very tempting..

Man, that C7 stand is so much nicer than the B7. I wonder if it fits onto the B7? Doesn't matter since I mounted it anyway I guess..

Wow, your restraint is much better than mine. First things I did was buy a UHD player w/ 3 movies. I'm up to 16 (!) now. Then the Netflix 4k upgrade. Then PS4 Pro HDR games. I fell in. I actually have way more 4k content than I have time to enjoy tbh, which isn't a bad thing.

Ashhong

Wow, your restraint is much better than mine. First things I did was buy a UHD player w/ 3 movies. I'm up to 16 (!) now. Then the Netflix 4k upgrade. Then PS4 Pro HDR games. I fell in. I actually have way more 4k content than I have time to enjoy tbh, which isn't a bad thing.

If I had restraint I wouldn't have but this damn tv hahaha

I'm just super cheap and realize that I never watch my Blu-rays. Once players come down I'll probably pick one up. Maybe a cheap Xbox One S

Ha, same. Once you go 4k, it's hard to go back. I did the same. Upgraded to a PS4 pro, got an xbox s, more UHD movies than I've had time to see, and built a whole new PC so I could play games in 4k.

Anyone who says they can't see a difference between 1080p and 4k is nuts. Especially with games. The extra detail is huge.

MauroNL

So I got my 65" C7 yesterday and I'm pretty happy with it. After some tweaking I managed to settle on settings for SDR gaming and regular TV watching. I noticed some colours are brighter than others. Like in Forza Horizon 3 on OG Xbox One I noticed the orange in the UI and score stuff is too bright. I can't really put my finger on what setting is best to tweak this? Colour, Tint or Colour Temperature? Tried a bunch of stuff but it either alters other colours too much or the brighter gets worse.

Also haven't tried much HDR but Uncharted 4 looked kinda bland in HDR Game or Standard without upping colour to like 60-65 and temperature to W35-40. Is this normal or am I doing it wrong? I activated the Ultra Deep Colour on all HDMI inputs, and also on PS4 and in the game. I tried it on my MU8000 too, and also noticed very little improvement. Is the HDR in UC not that great?

Also do the DF settings for the B6 apply to C7 too or are these different?

Smokey

Ha, same. Once you go 4k, it's hard to go back. I did the same. Upgraded to a PS4 pro, got an xbox s, more UHD movies than I've had time to see, and built a whole new PC so I could play games in 4k.

Anyone who says they can't see a difference between 1080p and 4k is nuts. Especially with games. The extra detail is huge.

The only "problem" is now I want a 70''+ ;)

So I got my 65" C7 yesterday and I'm pretty happy with it. After some tweaking I managed to settle on settings for SDR gaming and regular TV watching. I noticed some colours are brighter than others. Like in Forza Horizon 3 on OG Xbox One I noticed the orange in the UI and score stuff is too bright. I can't really put my finger on what setting is best to tweak this? Colour, Tint or Colour Temperature? Tried a bunch of stuff but it either alters other colours too much or the brighter gets worse.

Also haven't tried much HDR but Uncharted 4 looked kinda bland in HDR Game or Standard without upping colour to like 60-65 and temperature to W35-40. Is this normal or am I doing it wrong? I activated the Ultra Deep Colour on all HDMI inputs, and also on PS4 and in the game. I tried it on my MU8000 too, and also noticed very little improvement. Is the HDR in UC not that great?

HDR is still in its infancy in gaming, and it's effectiveness varies from game to game as a result. I have UC4 but haven't tried it with HDR, but in my experience if you want to see the best implementations of HDR at the moment, look at Horizon, GT Sport demo, and Wipeout. Can't comment on Xbox as I got rid of my S in anticipation for the X next month.

GT Sport demo is free, so I'd try that.

e90Mark

If I had restraint I wouldn't have but this damn tv hahaha

I'm just super cheap and realize that I never watch my Blu-rays. Once players come down I'll probably pick one up. Maybe a cheap Xbox One S

I'm not sure what cheap to you is, but Xbox One S is regularly $200 new with a game. There's the Samsung and Phillips players too that are about the same price. Just depends what you want really.

Hopefully DV players go down in price, or at least come in more options than like 3. Feels a little silly to not buy a DV player when you have a DV TV.

But yeah if you don't watch Blu-Rays regularly, all that investment might not be worth it.
Netflix/Amazon is a good start, but UHD discs are really something else. With the coming price hike to Netflix, I might actually cancel as I feel it's no longer cheap enough to just sub to without watching regularly.

It'd probably be easier to guide you if we knew what you have everything set at now. That said, we you start to get to things like individual color push, you can do 3 point and 20 point calibration directly in the menu. LIkely difficult to do without calibration gear though. Maybe III-V or others can comment there. I know BumRush is a big fan of the spears and munsil calibration disc he used and got pretty good results, so that's an option as well.

I actually thought the implementation of HDR in UC4 was fantastic. Very realistic colors and great spectral highlights. Esp the opening scene in the boat, playing at night on the OLED, the flashes of lighting looked fantastic. Per above, knowing some more about your settings might help here also.

All of the above said, some people just prefer bright, punchier more colorful picture, as that's how mfgs have trained people to see TVs for years. Nothing wrong with that, if it's your preference.

MauroNL

It'd probably be easier to guide you if we knew what you have everything set at now. That said, we you start to get to things like individual color push, you can do 3 point and 20 point calibration directly in the menu. LIkely difficult to do without calibration gear though. Maybe III-V or others can comment there. I know BumRush is a big fan of the spears and munsil calibration disc he used and got pretty good results, so that's an option as well.

I actually thought the implementation of HDR in UC4 was fantastic. Very realistic colors and great spectral highlights. Esp the opening scene in the boat, playing at night on the OLED, the flashes of lighting looked fantastic. Per above, knowing some more about your settings might help here also.

All of the above said, some people just prefer bright, punchier more colorful picture, as that's how mfgs have trained people to see TVs for years. Nothing wrong with that, if it's your preference.
Thanks for the reply. I'll post my current HDR settings tonight when I get back from work. I remember reading somewhere it helps when you put the PS4 setting on YUV 4-2-2(0) instead of automatic. Is there any truth in that?

The only "problem" is now I want a 70''+ ;)

HDR is still in its infancy in gaming, and it's effectiveness varies from game to game as a result. I have UC4 but haven't tried it with HDR, but in my experience if you want to see the best implementations of HDR at the moment, look at Horizon, GT Sport demo, and Wipeout. Can't comment on Xbox as I got rid of my S in anticipation for the X next month.

GT Sport demo is free, so I'd try that.
I actually did try the GT Sport demo and the colours looked great as far as I could tell. Headlights looked nice and bright, as did the sunset on that marina track. Maybe it differs quite a bit per game. I remember Infamous looking awesome in HDR on my previous MU8000 model, but others not so much.

Top Bottom