• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q8fn

Best LED TV they tested. Not by much, but still.
Good tv, but you're going to pay a boatload for it. Samsung remains the most expensive brand in tv's right now imo. You either pay the same amount or possibly a little less for oled, which is undeniably better than led, or, most people are likely to pay for a cheaper led tv from Sony or the budget tv's that vizio and tcl offer.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I’ve already started saving up for getting an OLED on Black Friday.

Last year they dropped to about $1500 for a 55”

I am hoping some reach the $1000 price point.

I’ve already started saving up for getting an OLED on Black Friday.

Last year they dropped to about $1500 for a 55”

I am hoping some reach the $1000 price point.
If the price on 65" oleds would come down into the $1500 price range or less that would be nice. I have a 50" plasma from 2011 and dont want to buy a new tv unless it is at least 65" or bigger. 75" would be even better but pricing yikes. I was so tempted to get a 2017 vizio m75 because it was sub $2000, but i just cant be spending that much money on a tv rght now. Sad face.

Help me out here, Gaffers.

I bought a LG UJ6300, an entry level 4K TV, but I can't find anything on the internet regarding playing 4K videos/movies from flash drives.

Do you guys recommend some flash drive model that can handle the transfer speed required?

Do you know if this model can buffer content from a 3mbs flash drive and play it normally?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I bought a LG UJ6300, an entry level 4K TV, but I can't find anything on the internet regarding playing 4K videos/movies from flash drives.

Do you guys recommend some flash drive model that can handle the transfer speed required?

Do you know if this model can buffer content from a 3mbs flash drive and play it normally?
Return that TV and get a TCL 6 series TV.

The 6300 is complete garbage.

Return that TV and get a TCL 6 series TV.

The 6300 is complete garbage.

Welp, here in Brazil, most of the 4K TVs are really expensive, so I opted for an entry model to save some money. Even being garbage, it is at a good value and I don't have a need for something better than this, at the moment.

And, coming from where I was, this TV is really good, IMO.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Welp, here in Brazil, most of the 4K TVs are really expensive, so I opted for an entry model to save some money. Even being garbage, it is at a good value and I don't have a need for something better than this, at the moment.

And, coming from where I was, this TV is really good, IMO.

6300 is not "garbage." It's a good entry model just like you said.

I don't think there's any variance on what OS their smart TVs have from country to country, so I'm guessing you're running web os?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Is that the one with the fake 4k? Or am I thinking of something else? https://forums.redflagdeals.com/folks-beware-fake-4k-lg-tvs-2066358/

6300 is not "garbage." It's a good entry model just like you said.

I don't think there's any variance on what OS their smart TVs have from country to country, so I'm guessing you're running web os?

Yes. WebOS 3.5. I really liked this OS. Is really snappy compared to my brother in law's Samsung Smart TV. I just don't know if I need to buy a high speed flash drive to play 4K videos or if a regular Sandisk Cruzer Blade 64Gb can handle the job.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yes. WebOS 3.5. I really liked this OS. Is really snappy compared to my brother in law's Samsung Smart TV. I just don't know if I need to buy a high speed flash drive to play 4K videos or if a regular Sandisk Cruzer Blade 64Gb can handle the job.

Ive only ever used usb 2.0 on my oled and never had issues. Are you able to play anything from a drive?

llien

Ive only ever used usb 2.0 on my oled and never had issues. Are you able to play anything from a drive?

I have W7 and struggle with feeding it anything over USB (plain old exfat, plain old mp4 from my cam).
Streaming over network works great though (including UPNP, I can easily send streams and comfortably control it with TV remote)
What filesystem/file types do you use?

Streaming 4K content is out of the question in my house because my internet speed is just 15Mbps.
About the files... well, I download some movies from, let's say, not legal sources... and, most of the releases have something like 50GB size.

Do you guys think I should buy one thos 100MBps flash drives, or a regular Sandisk Cruzer Blade can do the trick?

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I have W7 and struggle with feeding it anything over USB (plain old exfat, plain old mp4 from my cam).
Streaming over network works great though (including UPNP, I can easily send streams and comfortably control it with TV remote)
What filesystem/file types do you use?

When you say struggle does it not recognize the device or it streams but I'd choppy?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
With Memorial Day and Fathers Day coming up I am really hoping that the LG B7A will get a decent price drop ($1000-$1200). I really want an OLED.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

I finally bought me a 4K TV! I got the '55 TCL 6 series. I booted it up, but now I've become confused. I turned on the Deep Color Gamut on PS4 and then I tried to turn on HDR. I click it, and it says my TV doesn't support HDR. What in the blue hell is going on here?! I thought all the TCL Models ran the Dolby Vison HDR10 or something? I also bought a Rocketfish HDMI cable that says its 4K and HDR compatible. Any ideas? Or did I finesse myself? I also didn't find a 'game mode' setting on the TV either. Says "Vivid", "Movie" and "Normal". Best Buy about to get these hands!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah, that was the issue. TV is pretty beast mode. Sound quality really is garbage though like the rating says. I'll definitely be looking into a sound bar tomorrow. Or today rather.
I’ve had two 4K TVs (TCL P605 and Sony 900F) and I am puzzled why the default setting for HDMI 2.0 is off.

As for sound quality, TVs almost never have excellent sound and the ones that do (LG E7) make you pay a much bigger premium than the extra cost of a better sound bar.

I’m okay with this because I want every dollar put into the build of TV to go towards the best possible picture.

Last edited:

Cranberrys

As for sound quality, TVs almost never have excellent sound and the ones that do (LG E7) make you pay a much bigger premium than the extra cost of a better sound bar.

I’m okay with this because I want every dollar put into the build of TV to go towards the best possible picture.

I think the sound is a big problem on modern TV's. I've got a Sony ZD9, it's a great TV and pricey. Full retail price was 4499€, I paid mine 3599 during a sale. At that price, the sound is still garbage. My first HDTV was a Sony 40W2000 in 2006 and the sound, for a TV set, was really good. So yeah I bought a sound bar but I dream of a TV with a good enough sound and it baffles me that a 4500€ TV can't produce a sound as good as a simple JBL Boost TV soundbar. It's not that complicated.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I think the sound is a big problem on modern TV's. I've got a Sony ZD9, it's a great TV and pricey. Full retail price was 4499€, I paid mine 3599 during a sale. At that price, the sound is still garbage. My first HDTV was a Sony 40W2000 in 2006 and the sound, for a TV set, was really good. So yeah I bought a sound bar but I dream of a TV with a good enough sound and it baffles me that a 4500€ TV can't produce a sound as good as a simple JBL Boost TV soundbar. It's not that complicated.
Because getting the sound youre asking for would require changing the design of the TV to accomodate deeper speakers. I bet you anything that most consumers prefer best picture.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Ah this subject again.
For the total experience picture = 50% sound is 50%

Most people think immersive sound is from a soundbar. No it can produce nice tricks. But not the best.

Try a 5.1 7.2 or dolby atmos set.
And be amazed.

Bladerunner 2049 blew my mind in hdr 4k dolby atmos.

Last edited:

Cranberrys

Ah this subject again.
For the total experience picture = 50% sound is 50%

Most people think immersive sound is from a soundbar. No it can produce nice tricks. But not the best.

Try a 5.1 7.2 or dolby atmos set.
And be amazed.

Bladerunner 2049 blew my mind in hdr 4k dolby atmos.

I totally agree but my current living room can't withstand a Dolby Atmos setup. I Don't want speakers everywhere. I like having few furnitures in my living space. So I use a soundbar and When my wife and I want total immersion, we use a pair of Sony HW-700DS headphones and it's quite great actually. One day, when I get a dedicated room, then yeah I will invest in a proper audio setup.

Spukc

I totally agree but my current living room can't withstand a Dolby Atmos setup. I Don't want speakers everywhere. I like having few furnitures in my living space. So I use a soundbar and When my wife and I want total immersion, we use a pair of Sony HW-700DS headphones and it's quite great actually. One day, when I get a dedicated room, then yeah I will invest in a proper audio setup.
yep i tried airpods with dolby atmos on netflix in windows 10. And if you don't have the space this is the bees knees.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Cool story:

On Saturday I went to Best Buy and got the Sony 55" X900F.

Paid $1299 for it. Got it set up and played with it a bit. Beautiful TV but not quite the upgrade over my TCL P605 that I was hoping for.

Yesterday Dell.com puts the LG 55” B7A on sale for $1299. I end up returning the 900F and got B.B. to price match the LG B7A. Initially I was somewhat apprehensive, but thinking it through going to OLED was really the only true upgrade over my TCL TV.

Epilogue:
I am now the proud owner of an OLED.

Let me just say it is: Wow! It's so weird not seeing the blooming produced by local dimming and screen uniformity. I am now addicted to this and can honestly say OLED produces one of the most beautiful and aesthetically pleasing images you will ever see.

Bluecondor

I just got a 49" Samsung QLED for $800 at Best Buy. I also just upgraded to the PS4 Pro. Wow - God of War looks really impressive with the maxed out video settings.

Cool story:

On Saturday I went to Best Buy and got the Sony 55" X900F.

Paid $1299 for it. Got it set up and played with it a bit. Beautiful TV but not quite the upgrade over my TCL P605 that I was hoping for.

Yesterday Dell.com puts the LG 55” B7A on sale for $1299. I end up returning the 900F and got B.B. to price match the LG B7A. Initially I was somewhat apprehensive, but thinking it through going to OLED was really the only true upgrade over my TCL TV.

Epilogue:
I am now the proud owner of an OLED.

Let me just say it is: Wow! It's so weird not seeing the blooming produced by local dimming and screen uniformity. I am now addicted to this and can honestly say OLED produces one of the most beautiful and aesthetically pleasing images you will ever see.
I saw those deals! The 65" was selling for $1899 plus a $300 dollar gift card. That's insane for a 65" oled. Alas, i'm poor and can't afford to buy a tv right now lol.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have been gaming on an OLED (55" LG B7A) right now for over a week and all I can say is wow. Just wow.

If any of you are in the market for a new TV, strongly consider saving a little more and getting an OLED.

Right now the OLED B7As are still available and if Memorial Day is any indication, they could get dropped to under $1200 for Fathers Day.

They are worth it.

Last edited:

llien

Samsung's 2018 models should support FreeSync over HDMI, I've heard (don't have time to search for links atm, sorry) No word on it from LG.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
when are my HDMI2.1 TVs coming? im getting kinda annoyed by now .

People talking about HDMI 2.1 never ceases to amaze me. We are a LONG way off before having any content remotely close to taking advantage of what HDMI 2.1 provides.

HDMI 2.1 should not be holding anyone back from buying an HDTV right now.

Spukc

People talking about HDMI 2.1 never ceases to amaze me. We are a LONG way off before having any content remotely close to taking advantage of what HDMI 2.1 provides.

HDMI 2.1 should not be holding anyone back from buying an HDTV right now.
120 fps 4k and hdmi arc with atmos hdr hlg etc is super close my friend

Samsung's 2018 models should support FreeSync over HDMI, I've heard (don't have time to search for links atm, sorry) No word on it from LG.
They do. rtings.com just reviewed the Q6FN (2018 model), which is one of their lower tier tv's, and it can do variable refresh rate.

Im beginning to think that rtings.com has a bias toward samsung tv's because they've already reviewed the Q6FN, Q7FN, Q8FN, and Q9FN tv's for 2018. TCL's R617, compared to Samsung's Q6FN has higher peak brightness, better local dimming. Samsung's Q6FN has a slightly better color gamut and volume, but slightly worse color gradient. rtings gives the R617 a better score for movies and hd movies, but then for 4K content they give the samsung a 10 and the TCL a 9.5?? At the end of the Q6FN review, where rtings compares it to other tv's, they include sony's 900e from last year, this year's Q8FN tv and the R617. In rtings' review of the R617 they compare it to garbage tier tv's. So I dont know what's up with that. And they reviewed the 55" version of the R617, which has 24 fewer dimming zones than the 65". So it feels like they're purposely trying to lessen how amazing the R617 is to me. Im probably reading too much into it though. They do say that for most people the R617 is a better tv than the Q6FN, unless the majority of the content watched is sports and tv shows, since the R617 does have some uniformity issues.

Here's a link to the comparison. You can pick any two tv's that rtings.com has reviewed:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/samsung-q6fn-vs-tcl-r617/623/613#usage*4854!threshold*0.1

Samsung's 2018 lineup is pretty good. Q9FN and Q8FN are FALD and they're great sets, Q7FN and Q6FN are simpler overall but still very good tvs. All of them have 120Hz freesync support which is great.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Samsung's 2018 lineup is pretty good. Q9FN and Q8FN are FALD and they're great sets, Q7FN and Q6FN are simpler overall but still very good tvs. All of them have 120Hz freesync support which is great.

They are great TVs, but no Dolby Vision and $1000 more than an equivalent Sony model and at that price an OLED is a much much better value.

Samsung has arguably taken LED close to as far as it can go, but they have priced them so high there is always a better option.

Last edited:
Top Bottom