• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

tell me what Alien Front Online was like

doncale

Banned
was Alien Front a good game? I read somewhere that Alien Front Online could be played Dreamcast vs Arcade, is that true? damn that sounds so cool. I missed out :(

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
It was fun to use the game as a way to talk to people through the DC instead of calling them long distance, that's for sure. :)

AFO was a fun game from what I remember; very simplistic, but a fun arcade game and the online rocked. I miss both it and Outrigger online.

i miss OutTrigger alot more than AFO.... but worst of all is never getting to play Propeller Arena online...

i wish Sega would release the OutTrigger and Propeller Arena server code...

I didn't like AFO very much. The single player mode was severely lacking. I heard it was cool online, but I never could get it online with my lousy old backup 28k connection. Damn Sega and their hard to find BBA.

aku:jiki

Oni Link 666 said:
I didn't like AFO very much. The single player mode was severely lacking. I heard it was cool online, but I never could get it online with my lousy old backup 28k connection. Damn Sega and their hard to find BBA.
I agree. Single player was crap, and well, online multiplayer with voice (right?) could make any game fun back then.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Oni Link 666 said:

There's a reason it was called Alien Front ONLINE. :) Single player wasn't worth bothering with, but I don't know anyone who would have bought it for that.

Alien Front Online featured 3-on-3 battles between human and alien units. The different craft available to each group all basically handled like tanks. It wasn't a game based on fast action, so there was time to plan attacks with other team members using the microphone.

There are offline missions in the game, but they didn't really add much. The only real lasting impression it left me was that it was a game that 56k modem'ers could play that supported voice chat. Not real time "everyone can chat" type chat but any one player in the game could record a voice message at a time, that upon completion of entry could be played back to either teammates or everyone in the game.

Unfortunately, AFO came in Summer 2001 I think. The servers were crappy and with Sega phasing out the Dreamcast, I'd say they had no real reason to make sure they ran well. With multiple ISP's I'd get frequent disconnects (and many other people did, too).

Unfortunately the microphone is of no use offline (as one would imagine), although I forget whether you can test out the mic feature offline -- sort of in the same way that you can type in PSO while playing an offline game.

AFO really made me want Propeller Arena, because I thought it was going to be a much better game and more worth the $30. Stupid terrorists.

I only had server problems the first 2 days with the game, otherwise it was always solid. I absolutely loved AFO--it was fast paced, action packed, and very addictive. I played it for about a week until I got the max ranking with the stars, then I just kinda gave up. Excellent game though

doncale

Banned
thanks for the replies guys. i really regret missing out on AFO.

it makes me also wish Namco had released a 'Tokyo Wars Online' for either DC or PS2.

but what about AFO play between Arcades and Dreamcasts, was that true?

Mau_Mau

Banned
Wasn't this the game that Sega made a modified version for training use for the US Military? I seem to recall the Official DC Magazine spouting such claims back in the day.

AFO online was fucking awesome, my favorite DC online game next to PSO. Just got, pure, wholesome arcade fun. All reflex and skill with a little strategy and some sweet visuals.

AFO was dope but hell yes, Outriggers was the best online shit. I too wish they would release the server code (on ALL the effing games, actually) so the DC faithful could get it on once again!

hgplayer1

I loved AFO until all the cheating came. multi nukes was rediculous and totally killed the game for me. but damn it was fun when it worked. there was a type of capture the flag and fortress game modes. loved it

Teddman

Alex Anderson said:
Alien Front Online featured 3-on-3 battles between human and alien units.
It was 4-on-4.

I loved Alien Front Online. You had three different types of tanks on each side, one light but manueverable, one medium, and one heavy armored & heavy firepowered. The light alien tanks were the most popular, damn if one of them started circle-strafing you. The action was simple tank warfare, but the stages were nicely varied and the trash-talking on a console over a 56K modem was very novel at the time. It controlled really well, very arcadey pickup & play appeal.

I didn't have many disconnects using MSN to connect to the servers in the L.A. area.

After a month or so it got old, but I definitely got my $39.95 worth. My playtime trailed off before cheating got widespread.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Alien Front was done by the Dynamite Cop team, basically half Japanese and half American. VERY funny team, wonderful sense of humor. There's an awesome piece of AFO art that has an alien dressed as Uncle Sam, with the caption:

I WANT YOU

...FOR FOOD

Top Bottom