• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tell Me Why is free to own throughout Pride Month

reksveks

Enjoyed LIS1 forever ago, didn't think much of before the storm, purchased lis2 but haven't had the desire to boot it up (purchased both before the storm and lis2 dirt cheap on sale ages ago)

How does it compare to the first life is strange?
I enjoyed it, trying to compare it to LIS. Think the story is better in Tell Me Why but think the main characters in LIS are more charming. I think the gameplay is roughly the same but I don't go in for the gameplay in Dontnod games (similar to Yakuza)

anthony2690

Banned
Yeah you're right, not sure why I expected any different to be honest. I haven't played it yet but it's on the super long backlog to eventually be played. I think it's only 3 chapters though, so not a huge time sink even if you're only 'meh' about it.
I might watch the first ten minutes on YouTube and see if it takes my fancy, if not I'll give it a miss.

Pretty cool incentive xbox has given it away for free though, for those that enjoy these types of games regardless.
It's nice to have new members, I can't help but wonder why you joined when you have such low opinions of people on here.

If only there was another game forum that caters mainly to sexual minorities and bends over backward to create a safe space where nobody could be offended.
The other site people are super extreme with their views and want to boycott every game. (without taking in consideration that 100s of people work on games, and it isn't normal to wish for a game to fail due to ONE person's views)

You can't win on either site tbh.

& they both have console warriors.

Anyway this is off topic now.

There's a lot of push for this stuff. Strange other issues don't get pushed this way.

It's also a bad game, no one played it the first time and I don't think many people played LiS2 either.

I'm not even sure why people liked LiS1.

anthony2690

Banned
I enjoyed it, trying to compare it to LIS. Think the story is better in Tell Me Why but think the main characters in LIS are more charming. I think the gameplay is roughly the same but I don't go in for the gameplay in Dontnod games (similar to Yakuza)
I really loved remember me from dontnod, it is a huge shame they never returned to that ip.

Vampyr had potential minus the combat.

Love the yakuza games, but the beat em up one's, I drop the difficulty down to easy as I get tired of the fights a few hours in, but love the story and characters.

I'll probably just check out the first 10 minutes on YouTube :)

2sT9K69.gif

John Bilbo

I really loved remember me from dontnod, it is a huge shame they never returned to that ip.

Vampyr had potential minus the combat.

Love the yakuza games, but the beat em up one's, I drop the difficulty down to easy as I get tired of the fights a few hours in, but love the story and characters.

I'll probably just check out the first 10 minutes on YouTube :)
I'm currently playing Vampyr and I have found it suprisingly good. The combat is it's weakest part for sure. There are some wokeness here and there in the storyline, but for the most part I have enjoyed the multitude of different individual stories and the way they sometimes blend together.

CAB_Life

The community liked the game and they are offering it completely free..?
Who is "the community"? Gay, lesbian, bisexual and other-oriented folk are not some Borg collective. I'm gay and I thought the game was aimless, pandering and nonsensical in places. You, PinkNews and whatever other mouthpieces of LGBT culture do not speak as one or for all, and you certainly don't speak for me, thank you very much.

Renozokii

Lol that's what you think, public image is valuable equally or more than monetary for these companies. Your love is their profit, This is just marketing expenses.
If companies want to give me free no strings attached shit to improve their image they are more than welcome to lmao.

Renozokii

gain is not just money, now you have a good opinion for the company and think they are "good guys" and not just want your money, they already gained

awwt.gif
They never got a penny from and never will because these aren’t my type of games. It’s a literal free game I can check out if I want to. Again, if more companies want to give me free games to make me “love” them then they are welcome to.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is Pride month not primarily for gay people anymore? They had a perfectly good game with a lesbian protagonist in Life Is Strange: Before the Storm (different publisher, though) to give away for free during Pride month. Why not save this for some trans awareness day/week/month that surely exists?

Last edited by a moderator:

Renozokii

Who is "the community"? Gay, lesbian, bisexual and other-oriented folk are not some Borg collective. I'm gay and I thought the game was aimless, pandering and nonsensical in places. You, PinkNews and whatever other mouthpieces of LGBT culture do not speak as one or for all, and you certainly don't speak for me, thank you very much.
Oh thank you majesty for pointing out that people have differing opinions. I really needed that lesson. There are also people that thought moonlight and call me by your name were pandering as well. There are people that think the Mona Lisa is overrated. But when I say the art community likes the piece and that it did have a big impact, I’m not speaking about some collective. I’m speaking about an overwhelming majority.

The game got really good reviews, won accolades from a variety of lgbt organizations and even more nominations, and is overall liked wherever you find lgbt gaming communities. So the game succeeded in its goal and it’s not a controversial statement to say the lgbt gaming community overall like the game and thought it did what it meant to well.

MilkyJoe

There's a lot of push for this stuff. Strange other issues don't get pushed this way.

It's also a bad game, no one played it the first time and I don't think many people played LiS2 either.

I'm not even sure why people liked LiS1.

Because it was charming.

Kuranghi

I'm afraid you are no longer gay, please hand in your gay pass, we need to shred it. Also you must stop displaying your gay diploma in your office and the "certified gay as heck" sign must be removed from your window.

What a crapshack being told your opinion is invalid when you live that life, is there a horrible eqivalent of Unlce Tom for gay people you get called? No worries if you don't want to talk about that here though, its not exactly cheery discussion.

CAB_Life

Oh thank you majesty for pointing out that people have differing opinions. I really needed that lesson. There are also people that thought moonlight and call me by your name were pandering as well. There are people that think the Mona Lisa is overrated. But when I say the art community likes the piece and that it did have a big impact, I’m not speaking about some collective. I’m speaking about an overwhelming majority.

The game got really good reviews, won accolades from a variety of lgbt organizations and even more nominations, and is overall liked wherever you find lgbt gaming communities. So the game succeeded in its goal and it’s not a controversial statement to say the lgbt gaming community overall like the game and thought it did what it meant to well.
Again you're conflating a bunch of LGBT (mostly T) agenda pushing institutions like Mermaids, Stonewall (now separated from LBG Alliance btw) and the like with the actual current or reality of the LGB community. Some deer-identified person on Twitch or the hordes of blue-haired demikin on Twitter absolutely do not represent the LGBT community as a whole and to think that they do or that the entirety of that community exists on social media, Kotaku forums, and nowhere else is myopic and just dense.

There is a huge silent majority of lesbians, bisexuals and gay men who want nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with the current ideology and movement. Most of us, especially women, fought for centuries for a level of cultural acceptance founded on sex-based rights and spaces that is now being rolled back wholesale under the insidious guise of compassion. Aside from the game containing that exact toxic messaging, it's also just not very good: looking, playing, take your pick. Most of the reviews, of course, weren't focused on the game, but the politics, anyway, which is a piss poor way to review, you know, a video game.

CAB_Life

I'm afraid you are no longer gay, please hand in your gay pass, we need to shred it. Also you must stop displaying your gay diploma in your office and the "certified gay as heck" sign must be removed from your window.

What a crapshack being told your opinion is invalid when you live that life, is there a horrible eqivalent of Unlce Tom for gay people you get called? No worries if you don't want to talk about that here though, its not exactly cheery discussion.
Most common I've seen is transphobic or TERF if you're a lesbian that doesn't like dick in your women. Cis is the most common label to identifiy gay men who don't follow the Twitterati or the prescribed method of thinking. Cis, in particular, is a ridiculous term and just more of that word-salad-I'm-more-special-than-you bs since it's just adding a qualifier that doesn't need to be added. Man and woman don't need additional adjectives or identifiers, they're pretty basic concepts to understand and use.

Last edited:
Is Pride month not primarily for gay people anymore? They had a perfectly good game with a lesbian protagonist in Life Is Strange: Before the Storm (different publisher, though) to give away for free during Pride month. Why not save this for some trans awareness day/week/month that surely exists?
Because it's an MS exclusive that didn't sell well. So they are giving out for free. But people still won't play it outside a niche. But it checks off a box on the list.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
But really guys, I've never heard of this game. Is it any good?

Renozokii

Again you're conflating a bunch of LGBT (mostly T) agenda pushing institutions like Mermaids, Stonewall (now separated from LBG Alliance btw) and the like with the actual current or reality of the LGB community. Some deer-identified person on Twitch or the hordes of blue-haired demikin on Twitter absolutely do not represent the LGBT community as a whole and to think that they do or that the entirety of that community exists on social media, Kotaku forums, and nowhere else is myopic and just dense.

There is a huge silent majority of lesbians, bisexuals and gay men who want nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with the current ideology and movement. Most of us, especially women, fought for centuries for a level of cultural acceptance founded on sex-based rights and spaces that is now being rolled back wholesale under the insidious guise of compassion. Aside from the game containing that exact toxic messaging, it's also just not very good: looking, playing, take your pick. Most of the reviews, of course, weren't focused on the game, but the politics, anyway, which is a piss poor way to review, you know, a video game.
>Again you're conflating a bunch of LGBT (mostly T) agenda pushing institutions like Mermaids, Stonewall (now separated from LBG Alliance btw) and the like with the actual current or reality of the LGB community. Some deer-identified person on Twitch or the hordes of blue-haired demikin on Twitter absolutely do not represent the LGBT community as a whole and to think that they do or that the entirety of that community exists on social media, Kotaku forums, and nowhere else is myopic and just dense.

I mean it won awards from gamescon, was nominated for a British association award, awards from various agencies that don’t seem to have relation with anyone you list, got pretty universal high reviews, and averages a high 70 score on both platforms on metacritic. If not the largest concentrations of lgbt community members, critics, or social media than you can’t say any general group of people like anything. The logic you’re using means I can’t say ocarina of time is one of the most beloved games amongst Nintendo fans since some fans might say they hate it. It means I can’t say the black gaming community loves the fighting game genre because obviously some don’t, even though it’s one of the genres of game they are most prominent members of.

>There is a huge silent majority of lesbians, bisexuals and gay men who want nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with the current ideology and movement. Most of us, especially women, fought for centuries for a level of cultural acceptance founded on sex-based rights and spaces that is now being rolled back wholesale under the insidious guise of compassion. Aside from the game containing that exact toxic messaging, it's also just not very good: looking, playing, take your pick. Most of the reviews, of course, weren't focused on the game, but the politics, anyway, which is a piss poor way to review, you know, a video game.

🥱 don’t care didn’t ask about your politics didn’t bring it up. My point, only point, was its cool this game is free for pride month because there seems to be no strings attached and the community it was made for generally liked it. You can put your anti lgbt “I’m really the virtuous hero and everyone that doesn’t completely see things the way I do is evil” pitch fork away and find someone else to bother. I don’t care.

oagboghi2

>Again you're conflating a bunch of LGBT (mostly T) agenda pushing institutions like Mermaids, Stonewall (now separated from LBG Alliance btw) and the like with the actual current or reality of the LGB community. Some deer-identified person on Twitch or the hordes of blue-haired demikin on Twitter absolutely do not represent the LGBT community as a whole and to think that they do or that the entirety of that community exists on social media, Kotaku forums, and nowhere else is myopic and just dense.

I mean it won awards from gamescon, was nominated for a British association award, awards from various agencies that don’t seem to have relation with anyone you list, got pretty universal high reviews, and averages a high 70 score on both platforms on metacritic. If not the largest concentrations of lgbt community members, critics, or social media than you can’t say any general group of people like anything. The logic you’re using means I can’t say ocarina of time is one of the most beloved games amongst Nintendo fans since some fans might say they hate it. It means I can’t say the black gaming community loves the fighting game genre because obviously some don’t, even though it’s one of the genres of game they are most prominent members of.

>There is a huge silent majority of lesbians, bisexuals and gay men who want nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with the current ideology and movement. Most of us, especially women, fought for centuries for a level of cultural acceptance founded on sex-based rights and spaces that is now being rolled back wholesale under the insidious guise of compassion. Aside from the game containing that exact toxic messaging, it's also just not very good: looking, playing, take your pick. Most of the reviews, of course, weren't focused on the game, but the politics, anyway, which is a piss poor way to review, you know, a video game.

🥱 don’t care didn’t ask about your politics didn’t bring it up. My point, only point, was its cool this game is free for pride month because there seems to be no strings attached and the community it was made for generally liked it. You can put your anti lgbt “I’m really the virtuous hero and everyone that doesn’t completely see things the way I do is evil” pitch fork away and find someone else to bother. I don’t care.
Wow, you are really pushing this game you don't care about except for the fact it's free this month. You should go play it instead of telling a gay poster what he is supposed to like.

Umbral

I think the issue here is you view people as part of groups instead of recognizing them as individuals.

Last edited:

Renozokii

Wow, you are really pushing this game you don't care about except for the fact it's free this month. You should go play it instead of telling a gay poster what he is supposed to like.
Never told you what to feel like nor did I even push the game. The company made a lgbt game free during pride month. It’s a far cry from simply changing Twitter profile pics like most companies do. If they put hidden figures or Selma on YouTube free for black history month people would either ignore it or find it cool. The whining in this thread is mystifying and the most over repeated joke I’ve heard in months seems misplaced when a company did a flat out free game vs a post on Twitter, which does deserve criticism btw. If we can’t stop bitching about even free shit no wonder most devs and publishers want nothing to do with the actual gaming community. No wonder the most interaction we ever get is some intern posting on Twitter and Reddit

No statements about any community are homogenous. That’s the kind of clarification that’s just dumb. PlayStation gamers loved god of war! “Hehe actually no. *fixes glasses on face* I am a PlayStation gamers and I HATE god of war. Casual garbage made kratos a weak beta male taking care a stupid child. He didn’t even fuck any prostitutes!” Sure, said person didn’t like god of war. But it was obviously loved by an absolute shit load of PlayStation players.

Last edited:

Renozokii

I think the issue here is you view people as part of groups instead of recognizing them as individuals.
So I went through your post history (can’t since you hid it) I’d find 0 examples of you saying any general statements about Xbox fans, PlayStation fans, console, pc, game developers, the gaming industry, any website, and basically any group of people ever?

Top Bottom