• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tell Me Why is free to own throughout Pride Month

Never told you what to feel like nor did I even push the game. The company made a lgbt game free during pride month. It’s a far cry from simply changing Twitter profile pics like most companies do. If they put hidden figures or Selma on YouTube free for black history month people would either ignore it or find it cool. The whining in this thread is mystifying and the most over repeated joke I’ve heard in months seems misplaced when a company did a flat out free game vs a post on Twitter, which does deserve criticism btw. If we can’t stop bitching about even free shit no wonder most devs and publishers want nothing to do with the actual gaming community. No wonder the most interaction we ever get is some intern posting on Twitter and Reddit

No statements about any community are homogenous. That’s the kind of clarification that’s just dumb. PlayStation gamers loved god of war! “Hehe actually no. *fixes glasses on face* I am a PlayStation gamers and I HATE god of war. Casual garbage made kratos a weak beta male taking care a stupid child. He didn’t even fuck any prostitutes!” Sure, said person didn’t like god of war. But it was obviously loved by an absolute shit load of PlayStation players.

I agree with you saying that they are doing more than just lip service like putting the rainbow flag on a company’s logo.

However, I also have no problem complaining about free stuff if I think it’s garbage. I wouldn’t be excited if a restaurant was giving out free rat burgers because they’re free. I’ve honestly not played this game, but I found the voice acting in the Xbox demo to be so poor that I had zero interest in playing it. I didn’t even know the LGBTQ plot points until this thread.

I agree that complaining about this game being offered during pride month because it has a trans character is silly. I say this as someone who thinks all of this LGBTQ attention is modern society, especially trans stuff, is misguided and has more negative consequences than people realize.

Renozokii

I agree with you saying that they are doing more than just lip service like putting the rainbow flag on a company’s logo.

However, I also have no problem complaining about free stuff if I think it’s garbage. I wouldn’t be excited if a restaurant was giving out free rat burgers because they’re free. I’ve honestly not played this game, but I found the voice acting in the Xbox demo to be so poor that I had zero interest in playing it. I didn’t even know the LGBTQ plot points until this thread.

I agree that complaining about this game being offered during pride month because it has a trans character is silly. I say this as someone who thinks all of this LGBTQ attention is modern society, especially trans stuff, is misguided and has more negative consequences than people realize.

No rat burger. It’d be a free burger on burger day except it’s a burger place you don’t like so you go online and complain. That’s odd.

DaGwaphics

I've been meaning to give this a go for a while since getting my series x. I've heard it's pretty good. Got too many games to play to begin with thanks to game pass. Good for them to share it for free all month.

It wasn't bad, obviously not a super "gamey" game, but that should be understood going in. The only negative was that choices didn't seem to impact the story that much, IMO.

It's an interesting little story.

VAL0R

Banned
No Thank You Reaction GIF

But this game isn’t objectively bad. It’s got a similar score to most of Microsoft’s first party studios for example.

Does a rat burger necessarily taste bad? No, that doesn’t mean it isn’t bad. I’ve seen the review scores and listened to the voice acting it’s bad.

Corndog

Banned
Nobody said anything about cheering it on. In fact, most of this thread to which my comment was referencing has absolutely nothing to do with the thread topic of the free game, just childish gay jokes that aren't even in the slightest bit funny unless you're a 12 year old, they're just embarrassing.

But sure, carry on deflecting with your straw man argument.
How about a redneck joke? Would those be ok? I mean you are the arbitrator of what’s allowed right?

How about a redneck joke? Would those be ok? I mean you are the arbitrator of what’s allowed right?
I didn’t say what is allowed or isn’t allowed, learn how to read. I said that the jokes were childish and not funny, not that they weren’t permitted to be made, which I am in turn permitted to express.

Feel free to made a redneck joke if you want, I would find it childish but you’re permitted to do so if you want.

Corndog

Banned
I didn’t say what is allowed or isn’t allowed, learn how to read. I said that the jokes were childish and not funny, not that they weren’t permitted to be made, which I am in turn permitted to express.

Feel free to made a redneck joke if you want, I would find it childish but you’re permitted to do so if you want.
Then why are you complaining? You are trying to make people feel dumb and inferior to you so as to stop them from posting the jokes you don’t like. This place is full of childish stuff yet this is the hill you want to die on.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Never told you what to feel like nor did I even push the game. The company made a lgbt game free during pride month. It’s a far cry from simply changing Twitter profile pics like most companies do. If they put hidden figures or Selma on YouTube free for black history month people would either ignore it or find it cool. The whining in this thread is mystifying and the most over repeated joke I’ve heard in months seems misplaced when a company did a flat out free game vs a post on Twitter, which does deserve criticism btw. If we can’t stop bitching about even free shit no wonder most devs and publishers want nothing to do with the actual gaming community. No wonder the most interaction we ever get is some intern posting on Twitter and Reddit

No statements about any community are homogenous. That’s the kind of clarification that’s just dumb. PlayStation gamers loved god of war! “Hehe actually no. *fixes glasses on face* I am a PlayStation gamers and I HATE god of war. Casual garbage made kratos a weak beta male taking care a stupid child. He didn’t even fuck any prostitutes!” Sure, said person didn’t like god of war. But it was obviously loved by an absolute shit load of PlayStation players.
Yeah, you are pushing it. All people are saying here is that they don’t care about pretty obvious pandering, and they aren’t interested in the game. Why is that not enough for you?

For some reason, you decided you needed to defend this games honor. Well, you did that, and still no one cares.

and for the record, who gives a shit if “developers” talk to us. Should we hold back our opinions because we might offend them? In case you didn’t know, they aren’t your friends.

Renozokii

Yeah, you are pushing it. All people are saying here is that they don’t care about pretty obvious pandering, and they aren’t interested in the game. Why is that not enough for you?

For some reason, you decided you needed to defend this games honor. Well, you did that, and still no one cares.

and for the record, who gives a shit if “developers” talk to us. Should we hold back our opinions because we might offend them? In case you didn’t know, they aren’t your friends.
Oh my goodness why even respond just to spew garbage.

First I’ve flat out stated I’ve never played it and it’s not my type of game. If anyone finds themselves “pushed” to download this game based on anything I’ve said they are morons. I never recommended the game.

Secondly, I’m not defending their honor lmao. I’m making the point of when enough is enough. I completely get shitting on companies that do what Bethesda did for example, change a couple profile picks while even leaving the Middle East one unchanged. That’s garbage. But this studio made a game that it seems at least tried to be respectful to the lgbt community and offered it free for pride month. What’s worth all the bitching? And also, how much else do we exactly expect companies to do? Go to the Middle East and have your same sex employees make out with each other? I’m sorry for being a party pooper on people coming to post their cute little edgy memes of one of the most over used jokes of the year.

And finally, because the golden age of this forum in particular was when we had leakers and developers alike posting here. Just like the point you made about lgbt people not all being the same hive mind, there are plenty of genuinely passionate devs that would love to come and interact and explain stuff from behind the scenes with the gaming community that have flat out decided to steer clear due to nothing but toxicity. Endless whining and memes about a literal free game is an absolutely perfect example of that. Not even free like ps plus “free” where you are technically paying, but literally just free. It’s just a tad bit too much.

Last edited:

Stuart360

First I’ve flat out stated I’ve never played it and it’s not my type of game. If anyone finds themselves “pushed” to download this game based on anything I’ve said they are morons. I never recommended the game.

Secondly, I’m not defending their honor lmao. I’m making the point of when enough is enough. I completely get shitting on companies that do what Bethesda did for example, change a couple profile picks while even leaving the Middle East one unchanged. That’s garbage. But this studio made a game that it seems at least tried to be respectful to the lgbt community and offered it free for pride month. What’s worth all the bitching? And also, how much else do we exactly expect companies to do? Go to the Middle East and have your same sex employees make out with each other? I’m sorry for being a party pooper on people coming to post their cute little edgy memes of one of the most over used jokes of the year.

And finally, because the golden age of this forum in particular was when we had leakers and developers alike posting here. Just like the point you made about lgbt people not all being the same hive mind, there are plenty of genuinely passionate devs that would love to come and interact and explain stuff from behind the scenes with the gaming community that have flat out decided to steer clear due to nothing but toxicity. Endless whining and memes about a literal free game is an absolutely perfect example of that. Not even free like ps plus “free” where you are technically paying, but literally just free. It’s just a tad bit too much.
Well i think its ;'Garbage' seeing Brethesda putting pride flags up and pandering to the Twitter mob in the first place.
Companies should ignore that shit, its not like they actually care anyway.

Last edited:

You had me until you started talking about toxicity. Many of these insiders choose to go to the other site where you are perma’d for stepping out of line and hesitating to jump in on insane groupthink. They don’t seem to care about that toxicity. I wonder why. You’re mostly right, but you take it too far.

Renozokii

Well i think its ;'Garbage' seeing Brethesda putting pride flags up and pandering to the Twitter mob in the first place.
Companies should ignore that shit, its not like they actually care anyway.
I mean there’s also a realistic chance Bethesda has a shit load of lgbt employees that would be at least somewhat annoyed if their supposedly progressive company showed 0 support for pride month, so I get the changing and public announcements of support. You guys do know most of America supports at least the basic idea of pride month, right? It’s not just pandering to a Twitter mob. There are likely plenty of perfectly rationale hard working employees at Bethesda that do see value in the continuation of support for the lgbt community. The not changing it for the Middle East Twitter account is what paints them as weak and spineless and shows the act as being rather shallow.

Renozokii

You had me until you started talking about toxicity. Many of these insiders choose to go to the other site where you are perma’d for stepping out of line and hesitating to jump in on insane groupthink. They don’t seem to care about that toxicity. I wonder why. You’re mostly right, but you take it too far.
What’s plenty? Average aaa developers have at least a hundred employees. There’s gotta be at least a hundred aaa studios out there. Then you add aa devs and indie teams and we are talking about a pool of 10k of just actual developers out there, many, many of which are passionate about gaming. So again, what’s plenty? There’s what, 5 active dev posters over there? Probably less? Developers used to be a lot more open, period.

And I’m genuinely confused how you could read even half this thread alone and be confused developers and leans would move on to other forums or just social media without turning back.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I mean there’s also a realistic chance Bethesda has a shit load of lgbt employees that would be at least somewhat annoyed if their supposedly progressive company showed 0 support for pride month, so I get the changing and public announcements of support. You guys do know most of America supports at least the basic idea of pride month, right? It’s not just pandering to a Twitter mob. There are likely plenty of perfectly rationale hard working employees at Bethesda that do see value in the continuation of support for the lgbt community. The not changing it for the Middle East Twitter account is what paints them as weak and spineless and shows the act as being rather shallow.
And thats the problem with the current world, worrying about what certain people think, or offending people. They are employees, fuck em.

What do you expect on gaf?

It's a site filled with idiots and warriors. (with some cool people here and there sprinkled in between)

On topic though, is this game worth the time to play?

Enjoyed LIS1 forever ago, didn't think much of before the storm, purchased lis2 but haven't had the desire to boot it up (purchased both before the storm and lis2 dirt cheap on sale ages ago)

How does it compare to the first life is strange?

it’s odd being in a place that’s not an echo chamber reinforcing your opinions. You’ll get used to it, boss man.

Renozokii

And thats the problem with the current world, worrying about what certain people think, or offending people. They are employees, fuck em.
You’ll go far in life with that mindset amigo. I’m glad lgbt people have a time to celebrate and remind the country of how far they’ve come. They literally couldn’t legally marry in this country in our life time. You people are far too concerned with the extremist on the side you dislike rather than having a more realistic outlook on life. I had a f-m assistant manager that was a great asset and a great guy that never brought any of that stuff up, but when he wore a pride flag shirt during pride month you seem the type of person who’d have pulled me to the side and told me I need to stop him from wearing stuff like that. Funny enough even our mostly elderly, right em leaning clientele didn’t give a shit. Some people really need to experience the real world more, I feel sorry for some of you guys.

What’s plenty? Average aaa developers have at least a hundred employees. There’s gotta be at least a hundred aaa studios out there. Then you add aa devs and indie teams and we are talking about a pool of 10k of just actual developers out there, many, many of which are passionate about gaming. So again, what’s plenty? There’s what, 5 active dev posters over there? Probably less? Developers used to be a lot more open, period.

And I’m genuinely confused how you could read even half this thread alone and be confused developers and leans would move on to other forums or just social media without turning back.

Ok, now I know there is no point continuing this conversation. Have a good one, you and I clearly have different perspectives. This place is far from perfect, but that place is an extreme on the opposite side and fails to allow dissenting opinions. I don’t see the staff shutting down users who speak up against the majority on here. I also see people here may agree in some areas but not others. There, that’s not really acceptable.

The reality is that boards are no longer that popular anymore and people use other mediums to discuss gaming and other interests. They’d much rather use mediums where they are in control.

Last edited:

Stuart360

You’ll go far in life with that mindset amigo. I’m glad lgbt people have a time to celebrate and remind the country of how far they’ve come. They literally couldn’t legally marry in this country in our life time. You people are far too concerned with the extremist on the side you dislike rather than having a more realistic outlook on life. I had a f-m assistant manager that was a great asset and a great guy that never brought any of that stuff up, but when he wore a pride flag shirt during pride month you seem the type of person who’d have pulled me to the side and told me I need to stop him from wearing stuff like that. Funny enough even our mostly elderly, right em leaning clientele didn’t give a shit. Some people really need to experience the real world more, I feel sorry for some of you guys.
You dont need to feel sorry for anyone. Different people having different views on life is a good thing, and what a boring world it would be if we were all a hive mind with no free thinking allowed. :messenger_smiling:

drotahorror

Came here for this.
Also this is my only exposure to this game, and that's fine

5:30 lol

I just scanned through a few seconds of that video and found that. Never heard of dude but I'll have to check him out.

Dontnod game's suck so I won't be redeeming this one. Remember Me was ok, Vampyr and the LiS games are poop imo.

Duchess

Vampyr had potential minus the combat.
Oh man, I had wanted to play this game for yonks, but the constant random crashes made it completely unplayable. It would crash on my PS4 at least once an hour, sometimes 2 or 3 times.

The atmosphere was great, even if the combat was merely serviceable. Real shame.

TransTrender

Gold Member
5:30 lol

I just scanned through a few seconds of that video and found that. Never heard of dude but I'll have to check him out.
It's like these games aren't made by humans.

Also I found my way on to the game replay side of things thought his movie critique channel. Indigo Prophecy was my first and then Raw Danger. Tons of hilarious playthroughs.

anthony2690

Banned
Oh man, I had wanted to play this game for yonks, but the constant random crashes made it completely unplayable. It would crash on my PS4 at least once an hour, sometimes 2 or 3 times.

The atmosphere was great, even if the combat was merely serviceable. Real shame.
That sounds incredibly frustrating, hope you got it refunded! :(

I really enjoyed this game, and now I'm looking forward to finally playing through Life is Strange for the first time.

The game is an easy 1500 achievement points for those that care. :)
LiS was the best story driven choice based game I‘ve ever played (and I played all david cage games, until dawn and left for dead games and a few more). Enjoy it :)

Because I liked LiS that much I‘ll try Tell me why. Hope it doesn‘t slap me with wokeism in the face.

Arun1910

LiS was the best story driven choice based game I‘ve ever played (and I played all david cage games, until dawn and left for dead games and a few more). Enjoy it :)

Because I liked LiS that much I‘ll try Tell me why. Hope it doesn‘t slap me with wokeism in the face.
Agreed, the story is brilliant in LiS. I didn't expect to like it as much as i did.

Top Bottom