• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tell me why: Yeah, please tell me why...

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So another station on the track was wrecked by woke train, Tell me why by DOTNOD and MS came out yesterday. I am not sure why I even played it after that trainwreck called Life is Strange 2. But well I did. Begining was kind of nice with the music and shit, however a lot of object were to just stare at it, with some text, which was immediatelly apparent that this will not really but that much fun. However after like an hour indetity politicy, fear mongering and "straight people bad" really ramped up and I was in disbelieve by amateur writing, on the nose storry telling, where there is not any kind of nuance it's just straight (*cough*) depression trip how everyone is againts you while being trans. Your crazy mom wanted you to kill you, you then killed her. After 1é years you find out that she at least study your condition and it changed everything and well so far one episode, so I am not sure how that ends, however I am not putting myself to the this torture again.

Funny thing is that not only the main character, which is obviously that brave trangender soul does not look particulary well within story and what he represents. And since my empathy kind of kicks in, due to a reason for who is this shit for, this fucking fear mongering, that everyone is going to be againts you, nobody will truly understand you and your only companion is your anti-social sister is pretty fucking ridiculous. I don't expect, aside from the GamePass and fans of DONTNOD (*cough*), to just go out and buy this..so who is this really for, aside from people dealing with the same stuff in their lives. And that's not healthy. If I would be coping with same condition it would make me feel more down than anything else.

But than again same shit was pulled out with LiS II, so why I am surprised...

So maybe my naivity made me launch this game, because you know, you still can makes storie while being while being any type of person, but DONTNOD choose not to and tell story about how bad is that while you are being trans person and nothing else. And some game mechanic are just cringy as fuck, some neural link, (which people sometimes bullshit themselfs about while in love), but not into this degree and not with his/her/their/atack helicopter's sibling, especially after 10 years of long time no see.

So basically:
- straight people bad
- zero tolerance if you misgender me
- old people bad
- parents bad

And most importantly
- alcoholic bad Yeah fuck you too Tyler...I mean Tyler as a Tyler, not Tyler as a Tyler, just so we are clear.

I played it just so you don't have to. And with that said LiS 1 and BTS is the shit. Also Remeber Me. Etc..

Basically this is all you have to see, to understand if you want to play it or not, because there is not much else:

DpXqZsX.jpg

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Life is Strange 1 was really good. Before the Storm kinda rode it's coat tails a bit but it was okay. Didn't play LiS2 because of the wokeness, and won't play this for the same reason. I believe they came right out and said in their promo materials and press releases "If you're a straight white person, this game is not for you."

Sad when I won't even play your game when it's free.

chaseroni

Nah, I enjoyed more. Music and overall atmosphere was great. I also never really dig deep tho.
It plays and is written like fan fiction. Nice that you got enjoyment out of it but that shit was massively disappointing for me.
Soundtrack can't carry the poor writing in that game.

Ellery

Life is Strange 1 was really good. Before the Storm kinda rode it's coat tails a bit but it was okay. Didn't play LiS2 because of the wokeness, and won't play this for the same reason. I believe they came right out and said in their promo materials and press releases "If you're a straight white person, this game is not for you."

Did they really say that?
I have no interest in this game, but I could respect this warning and would be okay that a game like this exists for people that don't share the same interests as I do.

M1chl

It plays and is written like fan fiction. Nice that you got enjoyment out of it but that shit was massively disappointing for me.
Soundtrack can't carry the poor writing in that game.
I replayed then LiS 1 and I have to say that when you are not anticipating what is going to be around next corner, game quickly falls in person's eyes. And 4th episode was just terrible with those gameplay segments...

Both of those characters are white and to an extent, straight.... So I highly doubt that.

I have no interest in this game, but I could respect this warning and would be okay that a game like this exists for people that don't share the same interests as I do.
No, I don't think so, it has almost none social PR presence.

llLeonhart

Gold Member

If they did, it kinda makes me wanna drop the game, because this type of communication makes it seem like I'm not welcome to playing this game. But I gotta say, I'm enjoying the game thus far, it's a nice change of pace from other (imo better) games this year.

I don't buy much of the gender identity politics, nor do I support it, but going in knowing the game is about it, I don't mind so far.

xrnzaaas

Man I still remember being a fan of Dontnod. Vampyr was probably their last good and "innocent" game, went 110% woke after that.

Last edited:

M1chl

Can't be any worse than Life is Strange 2. Hated that stupid little brat so much....
It's probably not in a case, that these two in here are way more tolerable. I hated that older borther talking all the time with crying like voice...

Alcohol is bad though... Literally. It's a poison to your system but i digress, it's socially acceptable therefore good!

I honestly don't see why you're so offended? So what? People have a different opinion on things from you and they do not share your point of view, again, so what? White people bad? Ah, i'm so hurt as a white person, so so hurt. Also the misgender thing... I'd get it if you didn't know before hand, but if someone says to you "call me by x pronoun or name" then just resepct the person and do it or just dont. Who care if you agree with their definition of gender? Just get on with your life and let them live theirs. If i asked someone to call me Gary and they started calling me Dave just to be a dick then i'd have zero tolerance with you too.

Its like, not all games are made just for you? weird right. If anything, shit like this is just reverse SJW. Those people are angry and outrage, you are angry and outraged, everyone is angry and outraged!

Sheeeeeeit, even i'm angry and outraged now! see what you've done!?

M1chl

Alcohol is bad though... Literally. It's a poison to your system but i digress, it's socially acceptable therefore good!

I honestly don't see why you're so offended? So what? People have a different opinion on things from you and they do not share your point of view, again, so what? White people bad? Ah, i'm so hurt as a white person, so so hurt. Also the misgender thing... I'd get it if you didn't know before hand, but if someone says to you "call me by x pronoun or name" then just resepct the person and do it or just dont. Who care if you agree with their definition of gender? Just get on with your life and let them live theirs. If i asked someone to call me Gary and they started calling me Dave just to be a dick then i'd have zero tolerance with you too.

Its like, not all games are made just for you? weird right. If anything, shit like this is just reverse SJW. Those people are angry and outrage, you are angry and outraged, everyone is angry and outraged!

Sheeeeeeit, even i'm angry and outraged now! see what you've done!?
You know it's not meant to be in a way you might think. But I have such presence in here, that I though it would be understandable as a satire.

turtlepowa

Banned
It's probably not in a case, that these two in here are way more tolerable. I hated that older borther talking all the time with crying like voice...
Both were annoying, but i hated the younger one with a passion.

Tomorrow i can test this one, we will see.

You know it's not meant to be in a way you might think. But I have such presence in here, that I though it would be understandable as a satire.
If it was meant to be satire then yes, i completely missed the mark and look like a fool. I've seen your name around here but i'm not on enough to find out who's who ect.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Life is Strange was good. If literally every game was trash then either you only played one or two or you're lying? Surely you would've stopped buying them.

Played Remember Me, LiS and Vampyr. They were different games so I gave the developer a chance. Didn’t buy the sequel to LiS though, because as you allude to, what would be the point?

GymWolf

Dontnod is one of the most overrated dev studios of this gen, the first life is strange was some hipster mediocrity, never understood why people had mass histerya for that thing...

Vampyr was their best stuff by a gigantic margin, and this says it all.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Played Remember Me, LiS and Vampyr. They were different games so I gave the developer a chance. Didn’t buy the sequel to LiS though, because as you allude to, what would be the point?

Fair enough sounds like you played more than I did. I just completed Life is Strange but I could feel my brain being consumed by the emo bullshit so I left it at that. But yeah LiS was good I'll give them that.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Can’t imagine likening something like TLoU2 and shitting on dontnod at the same time...

Thirty7ven

Banned
Fair enough sounds like you played more than I did. I just completed Life is Strange but I could feel my brain being consumed by the emo bullshit so I left it at that. But yeah LiS was good I'll give them that.

LiS was the best of the lot but it still felt like a budget Quantic Dream game, and as far as those go it wasn't as good as Wolf Among Us.

I agree with your sentiment. Sadly, this is the world we live in and will continue to live in going forward... Our only hope now are Chinese devs (BM:WUKONG makes me hopeful) as even Japanese devs have now been showing symptoms of SJW indoctrination.

Kadayi

Banned
Much love for LIS 1 and BTS was OK but I bounced off LIS 2 about 3 episodes in because it got way too preachy even for my tastes with some of the groan-worthy simplified political commentary (and I'm not even American) and I've not felt the urge to go back yet, although credit where credit is due I really liked the improved engine and animation system they were using (really wish they'd remake LIS using it as it's leaps and bounds better).

Pondered getting this and might well do down the road in a sale still, but too many games to play already and it's sort of missed the window in that regard because I'm stacked out till the New Year.

Personally when I watched the trailer I thought it was going to be a Fightclub style reveal of there only being one kid, but apparently not the case? Or is she really anti-social ? In which case I apologise and I'll get my coat. 🤔

M1chl

If it was meant to be satire then yes, i completely missed the mark and look like a fool. I've seen your name around here but i'm not on enough to find out who's who ect.
It fine, I understand that I am not some local celebrity, it was more like personal lore expansion. No, alcohol is terrible, obviously, nobody likes alcoholics (well at least those, where you know that person is alcoholic)

Personally when I watched the trailer I thought it was going to be a Fightclub style reveal of there only being one kid, but apparently not the case? Or is she really anti-social ? In which case I apologise and I'll get my coat. 🤔
It's very vaguely described why that is.

Last edited:

Salz01

It’s funny, because I had no idea what the game was really about but had a suspicion it was going to cater to a group. Glad I came here. I don’t mind playing other stories and perspectives, but if it starts preaching, I’m out.

M1chl

It’s funny, because I had no idea what the game was really about but had a suspicion it was going to cater to a group. Glad I came here. I don’t mind playing other stories and perspectives, but if it starts preaching, I’m out.
I don't think that it caters to any group, it feels like a run of the mill woke people drivel. I don't think that they have any sort of closer examination. And everything is so lazily laid out, that it's not just catering to the group, it's really bad. No nuance, no smart writing, no anticipation, etc. LiS at least was kind of misterious. This isn't.

Can’t imagine likening something like TLoU2 and shitting on dontnod at the same time...
I did not even play TLoU 2

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i guess Don't Nod found their market. good on them...

Life is Strange was so much fun but never bothered with LiS2. won't be touching any of their games now.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I don't think that it caters to any group, it feels like a run of the mill woke people drivel. I don't think that they have any sort of closer examination. And everything is so lazily laid out, that it's not just catering to the group, it's really bad. No nuance, no smart writing, no anticipation, etc. LiS at least was kind of misterious. This isn't.

I did not even play TLoU 2

Sorry wasn’t reffering to you. Didn’t read post yet cause don’t want the spoilers. I meant some of the comments from the resident Sony Squad.

Basically this is all you have to see, to understand if you want to play it or not, because there is not much else:

DpXqZsX.jpg
Yikes.

I gotta admit, I was going to give it a shot but I found out that my Game Pass expired and decided that was a sign from God to skip it. Praise Jebus. 🙏

PresetError

Neophyte
I think we should appreciate games that openly present themselves. "Tell me why" never hid what it's about. People should dive into it knowing what kind of subjects it deals with, feeling interested or at least curious about them.

I have a problem when studios use pre-existing IP's and characters to push ideological agendas or when they advetrise and sell you the game omitting or even actively hiding controversial or politically charged game design choices. There are plenty of examples of these practices the last few years.

But if a game is honest and upfront and gives you enough information to make an educated choice about wheather you want to play it or not, I don't see the problem. I'll always defend games like "Tell me why" should exist for people that enjoy them. Which, by the way, is not my case.

They should just make a sequel to Vampyr but remove the stupid soulsborne combat repetition prominent in the game.

I was super in love with the opening 10 hours of the game.

But I got really sick of respawning enemies every time I leave an area for all of 5 minutes and come back being swarmed by the same enemies and placement over and over.

It's weird how I can accept that in soulsborne games, but when other games do it, I just can't stand it.

You Play as white Lev basically. I knew reviews were going to call this game a masterpiece too. Cause if you don't..."transphobic!"😭 If I was a dev Is make a game where the character suffers from gender disphoria and later gets help.
It would be called "That's Why"

Last edited:
I think we should appreciate games that openly present themselves. "Tell me why" never hid what it's about. People should dive into it knowing what kind of subjects it deals with, feeling interested or at least curious about them.

I have a problem when studios use pre-existing IP's and characters to push ideological agendas or when they advetrise and sell you the game omitting or even actively hiding controversial or politically charged game design choices. There are plenty of examples of these practices the last few years.

But if a game is honest and upfront and gives you enough information to make an educated choice about wheather you want to play it or not, I don't see the problem. I'll always defend games like "Tell me why" should exist for people that enjoy them. Which, by the way, is not my case.

Uh. I don't think that's what hes saying though?

From what I understand, playing the game and seeing the story unfold it would seem that the game was actually likely to be more depressing for a trans person than it is to elevate or lift up their spirits.

And therefore, he believes the game is awful as it basically says "straight people bad, and everyone who isn't like you is going to hate you no matter what" which is completely flabbergasting to him.

I could be wrong, but that's what I understood.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why? Because that’s what developers want to make, we are free to like it or hate it but developers allowed to make any type of story they want to make.

Personally as far as adventures games go, I’m far more interested in games like Zero Escape series and upcoming 13 Sentinels.

M1chl

Why? Because that’s what developers want to make, we are free to like it or hate it but developers allowed to make any type of story they want to make.

Personally as far as adventures games go, I’m far more interested in games like Zero Escape series and upcoming 13 Sentinels.

Obviously, despite that I gave it my honest look, which obviously does not even imply that those games should not exist. That thread name was some word play only, they played themselves.

Top Bottom