• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale Games announce The Walking Dead AND Fables (based on the Vertigo comic)

Radogol

BAM!

Today, Telltale Games is announcing an exclusive worldwide publishing agreement with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment to develop video games for the comic book series Fables, and an exclusive worldwide agreement to develop and publish a series of videogames based on the AMC cable network’s zombie hit “The Walking Dead.”

More on this somewhat unusual story as it develops.

UPDATE: Robert Kirkman, creator of The Walking Dead, talks about the game at IGN.

IGN: What Walking Dead universe does the game fall into? Is it happening in the comic world? The TV show? A mix of both?
Robert Kirkman: Definitely within the comic book world, just like the novel series.

IGN: What kind of game is this?
Robert Kirkman: The game is at an early stage, and we're in the process of mapping this all out now.

IGN: Telltale is known for episodic adventures; is that what's happening here?
Robert Kirkman: Yes, it's definitely episodic.

More at the link.

LCfiner

That's awesome!

I'm way more excited about the Fables stuff, actually. I've been catching up on that series and really digging it

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fables is really intriguing, even if I'm tired of the Telltale style of adventure game now.

Which is funny, because I'm sure I felt that way about Sierra games back in the 90s. Theme > gameplay I guess.

plagiarize said:
so, tell me about Fables?
Literally urban fantasy - characters from fables/fairy tales living in modern times.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Love Fables, so I'm excited. Hopefully they can capture some of the visual flair of James Jean's covers in the game.

Mrbob

I'm down for The Walking Dead! Wonder how this is going to work as an adventure game I'm intrigued.

While I like Fables, the first thing I noticed was Vertigo Comics plus Telltale and instantly thought "OH SHIT, SANDMAN ADVENTURE GAME!?" Ah well, this will still be pretty interesting.

webrunner

plagiarize said:
we were right about Walking Dead.

so, tell me about Fables?

Fables is about fairy tale and literary characters who, under the threat of a multi-world conqueror, became secret refugees in the 'real world' and through the use of magic and espionage try to protect themselves and eventually take their worlds back.

A lot of it is pretty dark, but not in a "SHOCK! SEX! VIOLENCE!" way like the Grimm Fairy Tales comics is, it's more stuff like how all the different Prince Charmings were actually one person who now has a boat load of exes, and how, eg, Rapunzel spends thousands of dollars on haircuts or else be extremely noticeable, and Pinocchio is eternally depressed since he can never age- he wished to be a "real boy" and now he can't be in any sort of non-screwed up relationship. It's extremely well written, too.

There's apparently a series in the works too (on ABC)

vazel

Banned
Fables! Lots of potential for ANY genre of gaming in Fables. Best ones would be a detective/adventure game as Bigby or an action-adventure game as Boy Blue in the Homelands arc. This being Telltale I'm sure we'll get an adventure game obviously. Don't fuck this up Telltale!
webrunner said:
Not anymore there ain't!
crying.gif

Radogol

webrunner said:

Not anymore. And I doubt it will be resurrected since Horovitz, Kitsis and Lindelof have sold a pilot for an original series with a VERY similar premise.

ultron87

Fables adventure game?!?!? Awesome.

Playable Bigby would be rad.

I wonder when in the timeline of the comic it would take place. It'd probably be best to just have it take place before the events of the comic.

Walking dead we all expected, but Fables? Very interesting, probably more interesting if I had actually read past the first 6 issues, but I hear its good.

You've gotta wonder how big Telltale is now. They must be almost done (if not already done) with BttF, they're probably deep into Jurassic Park, they've got these two series now and probably some pilots kicking around too. Don't suppose we'll be hearing from Sam and Max again any time soon.

vazel

Banned
bishopcruz said:
Walking dead we all expected, but Fables? Very interesting, probably more interesting if I had actually read past the first 6 issues, but I hear its good.
First arc is considered the worst. Pick up March of the Wooden Soldiers and Homelands for some of the most awesome comics you'll read.

Radogol

Green Scar said:
You've gotta wonder how big Telltale is now. They must be almost done (if not already done) with BttF, they're probably deep into Jurassic Park, they've got these two series now and probably some pilots kicking around too. Don't suppose we'll be hearing from Sam and Max again any time soon.

They announced FIVE new projects today. These are the only two that have leaked so far (site broke the embargo). More to come.

LCfiner

bishopcruz said:

the first 6 aren't bad but it's gets so much better after that, imo. there's a ton of great storylines. very imaginative, decent dialogue and I love the art.

Spwn

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Fables, huh? Great concept, mediocre comic.

My thoughts exactly. Everything about the comic just feels so forced. Interested to see Telltale's take on it, though.

The Walking Dead!!! Yes!! I hope it's based on comic and not the show. Also, never heard of Fables so will read it cause it sounds awesome!

Also, I suppose they will not name the game Fables unless they name it "Vertigo's Fables".

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Played about a third of episode two of Back To The Future so far, and I can honestly say that Telltale makes games that reminds me less and less of adventure games of old, and more like interactive movies with puzzles that wouldn't challenge your three year old.

I'm losing faith in Telltale... the success of ToMI got to them it seems, and although that's probably the best game they've made yet, it seems they're going in the wrong direction, imo. It's more about cinematic camera angles and fancy cutscenes and less about gameplay and story through gameplay. The HUUUUGE HINT button in the top left corner doesn't actually scream out to old point'n'click fans either. Heck, everything seems so large on a pc screen now, that it's obvious they're making the games for consoles. And I'm running it in 1920*1080.

dream

Spwn said:
My thoughts exactly. Everything about the comic just feels so forced. Interested to see Telltale's take on it, though.

How deep did you get into the series?

soultron

Banned
Gotta say, TG does licensed games right. They source properties most of us actually give a shit about because they're timeless and not timely.

Radogol

shagg_187 said:
Also, I suppose they will not name the game Fables unless they name it "Vertigo's Fables".

Why not? The other game is Fable. And there was an unrelated game called Fable before that.

corkscrewblow said:
Point and click TWD game is such a waste of a license. I'd love a Team Siren made TWD game :splooge

Let's see how Jurassic Park turns out first. It may not be a straight adventure if the preview is to be believed.

soultron

Banned
corkscrewblow said:
Point and click TWD game is such a waste of a license. I'd love a Team Siren made TWD game :splooge
Anything is better than the Unity3D stuff that was slapped together for the show's pre-release media blitz.

EDIT: I don't hate Unity3D at all. The games were just clearly rushed jobs.

Radogol

soultron said:
Anything is better than the Unity3D stuff that was slapped together for the show's pre-release media blitz.

Must have missed that. Is it still online?

Don't hate on Unity, bro.

W T F!

This is the best videogame news I have heard in a long, long time! Oh my fucking god, I'm so excited. Hope this works out for them and we can expect more cmoic book games from them.

Telltale is the best.

Spwn

dream said:
How deep did you get into the series?

To tell you the truth, I only read the first collection and my opinion is solely based on that. Judging by the hype around the comic it got better later, but after reading the first issues I just can't get myself to read more. I figured that it just isn't for me as there were so many things that didn't click for me. I didn't even like the art, tbh.

Top Bottom