• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale Games announce The Walking Dead AND Fables (based on the Vertigo comic)

vazel

Banned
Spwn said:
To tell you the truth, I only read the first collection and my opinion is solely based on that. Judging by the hype around the comic it got better later, but after reading the first issues I just can't get myself to read more. I figured that it just isn't for me as there were so many things that didn't click for me. I didn't even like the art, tbh.
Mark Buckingham didn't join as regular artist until the second arc. There are guest artists for the side stories.

Can't stress enough to not judge the series based on the first arc.

Mifune

Mehmber
Spwn said:
To tell you the truth, I only read the first collection and my opinion is solely based on that. Judging by the hype around the comic it got better later, but after reading the first issues I just can't get myself to read more. I figured that it just isn't for me as there were so many things that didn't click for me. I didn't even like the art, tbh.

I had the exact same experience with Fables. Hated the first collection, never went back. Now I might have to reconsider, since I love me some TTG.

dream

Spwn said:

It really does get significantly better but if you're not into the premise or the art style the later story arcs won't do much to convince you otherwise.

For those of us who dig Fables though...holyfuckingshit, there's so much potential here.

webrunner

Radogol said:
They announced FIVE new projects today. These are the only two that have leaked so far (site broke the embargo). More to come.

That gets me thinking, Famous posted this:

Sean "Famous" Vanaman said:
oh man @grickle visiting the studio today. the best of dudes. delicious sandwiches were had.
http://twitter.com/#!/seanovanaman/status/38347511303241728

Now why would our grickely friend stop by the telltale offices on announcement day of all days? hmmmmm?

Can't wait to see what other franchises Telltale can drag through the mud with lifeless animation, dull storylines and same old gameplay!

Sqorgar

Banned
RPG_Fanatic said:
I'm interested to see what Telltale does with the Fables universe.
My guess is a watered down, borderline amusing adventure game that people will only like because of the license.

They are supposed to reveal five games today, aren't they? And show off more of JP.

"In addition to the Jurassic Park game, Telltale will reveal 5 major new multi-platform projects, including one based on a just-launched property from the TV and comic book world whose popularity is changing life as some know it."

Spwn said:

I've got the first three paperback and I've just gotten the fifth for my birthday. I'm afraid it doesn't get much better until the 4th collection at least. In fact, the first one is my favorite.

Cartman86

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I've got the first three paperback and I've just gotten the fifth for my birthday. I'm afraid it doesn't get much better until the 4th collection at least. In fact, the first one is my favorite.

Yeah me too. I like the fourth, but that first one with the detective tone I enjoyed much more. I thought the whole series was going to be that way.

FoneBone

StarEye said:
Played about a third of episode two of Back To The Future so far, and I can honestly say that Telltale makes games that reminds me less and less of adventure games of old, and more like interactive movies with puzzles that wouldn't challenge your three year old.

I'm losing faith in Telltale... the success of ToMI got to them it seems, and although that's probably the best game they've made yet, it seems they're going in the wrong direction, imo. It's more about cinematic camera angles and fancy cutscenes and less about gameplay and story through gameplay. The HUUUUGE HINT button in the top left corner doesn't actually scream out to old point'n'click fans either. Heck, everything seems so large on a pc screen now, that it's obvious they're making the games for consoles. And I'm running it in 1920*1080.
Did you play The Devil's Playhouse? Don't see much to hate about that one, I think it's easily the best thing they've ever done. And it came AFTER Tales.

Sqorgar said:
My guess is a watered down, borderline amusing adventure game that people will only like because of the license.

Right, right, the writing was just so shitty in Tales and the Sam & Max games, we just deluded ourselves into thinking otherwise. Snore.

Sqorgar

Banned
FoneBone said:
Right, right, the writing was just so shitty in Tales and the Sam & Max games, we just deluded ourselves into thinking otherwise. Snore.
It's not shitty. It's mediocre. There's a difference. Shitty means that you slap your forehead and go, "who writes this shit?" Mediocre involves no face palms. It involves nothing. It's just there. And then you forget about it. You either love humor or you hate it. If you are indifferent to it, it's not really funny to begin with.

Green Scar said:
You've gotta wonder how big Telltale is now. They must be almost done (if not already done) with BttF, they're probably deep into Jurassic Park, they've got these two series now and probably some pilots kicking around too. Don't suppose we'll be hearing from Sam and Max again any time soon.
the article stated that they're up to 140 headcount. With a revenue of $10 mil for the last year, up 90% over the previous year.

So in a way, all this growth was spurred by their high-performing 2010 lineup. So Monkey Island probably put Telltale into the big leagues (Yay).

stupei

Oh shit.

This-- this could be incredible.

FoneBone said:
Did you play The Devil's Playhouse? Don't see much to hate about that one, I think it's easily the best thing they've ever done. And it came AFTER Tales.

This. I really feel like if people haven't played Devil's Playhouse yet, I can't take their opinions about Telltale's abilities all that seriously.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
FoneBone said:

No, I haven't, because 1) I've yet to finish the second season of S&M, and 2) I'm not really a big fan of Sam and Max in general. Probably my least favourite LucasArts game, and I just don't like the 1 episode 1 case formula. It just feels too fragmented.

bathala

Banned
OMG
two great iP with lots of potential for adventure game.

Looking forward to it. Now if Telltale shows some support for iOS games

Mifune

Mehmber
StarEye said:
No, I haven't, because 1) I've yet to finish the second season of S&M, and 2) I'm not really a big fan of Sam and Max in general. Probably my least favourite LucasArts game, and I just don't like the 1 episode 1 case formula. It just feels too fragmented.

Season Three is one case the whole season long. Not fragmented at all. Tales of Monkey Island is likewise one story.

The news of a game based on Fables gave me a physical wind knocked out of me feeling as tons of crazy idea went through my brain.

Fables really is one of the best comics in print. I'll second the suggestion to check out some of the later arcs of Fables if you were put off by the first few issues. It took me a while to check it out and get into it but now its one of the only comics I consistently pick up.

see5harp

Fables would be incredibly awesome since the universe is so open to interpretation. I think Walking Dead would be alright but I'm much more exited for a Fable game.

Good, just one more thing...
START TO FUCKING TRANSLATE YOUR GAMES TELLTALES, EVEN IF ITS ONLY SUBS.

I dont mind, but I have friends that would love to play BTTF (and Jurassic Park) and know they cant becuase they dont translate to the fucking basic european languages.

FoneBone

Sqorgar said:
It's not shitty. It's mediocre. There's a difference. Shitty means that you slap your forehead and go, "who writes this shit?" Mediocre involves no face palms. It involves nothing. It's just there. And then you forget about it. You either love humor or you hate it. If you are indifferent to it, it's not really funny to begin with.
Hey, you don't have to like their games, but claiming that people "only like them because of the license" is a little insulting.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't quite articulate it yet, but TTG is slowly becoming less cool.

Twig

Banned
StarEye said:
Played about a third of episode two of Back To The Future so far, and I can honestly say that Telltale makes games that reminds me less and less of adventure games of old, and more like interactive movies with puzzles that wouldn't challenge your three year old.
I think that's just the license. They decided not to make it too difficult, because they don't want to alienate fans of BttF.

Maybe.

Another possibility is that we're not all as stupid as we were when we played point and click adventures in the past. I don't necessarily think that's true in BttF's case, but for some of their other games...

I'm losing faith in Telltale... the success of ToMI got to them it seems, and although that's probably the best game they've made yet, it seems they're going in the wrong direction, imo. It's more about cinematic camera angles and fancy cutscenes and less about gameplay and story through gameplay. The HUUUUGE HINT button in the top left corner doesn't actually scream out to old point'n'click fans either. Heck, everything seems so large on a pc screen now, that it's obvious they're making the games for consoles. And I'm running it in 1920*1080.
The Devil's Playhouse is definitely the best thing they've done so far - best story, best puzzles, best mechanics. Similarly, if we got a second season of ToMI, I'd be willing to bet it'd be more difficult than the first season. ALSO similarly, if they got the license for Space Quest, I would again bet money that it wouldn't be a cakewalk.

I really do just think it's an issue of not wanting to alienate fans of the license. BttF fans haven't been playing point and click adventures for years and years. Sam and Max and Monkey Island fans... have. They're playing to the audience of the franchise.

Now that I'm done apologizing for Telltale, I can also express a certain amount of agreement with you - I love these licenses AND I love point and click adventure games. I'd like it if at least SOME of them were more challenging. BttF episode one was super easy. Haven't started the second episode, yet.

FoneBone

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Good, just one more thing...
START TO FUCKING TRANSLATE YOUR GAMES TELLTALES, EVEN IF ITS ONLY SUBS.

I dont mind, but I have friends that would love to play BTTF (and Jurassic Park) and know they cant becuase they dont translate to the fucking basic european languages.
If they're adding 50 staff, I'd have to think that increasing their international focus would be one of their priorities, but what do I know...

Platy

I love telltalle, but i'm sure that i will be dissapointed of the Fables game for one reason alone

xGxT5.jpg

HR6Uv.jpg

i85d3.jpg

qQmMr.jpg

lEuj9.jpg

u5aWn.jpg

There is absolutly NO WAY for then to have 10% of that beauty with their 3d models ...actualy I think there is praticaly no company that could do that with 3d models =/

If it was not clear, I want to have James Jean's babies

Excited for Fables. Walking Dead I'm kind of done with I think.

If they were going with Kirkman, I would have much rather have had an Invincible adventure game. I know Walking Dead is more popular and probably easier to do but Invincible's style would go great with their games and it has a huge supporting cast.

AshMcCool

Awesome, I wanted so much that they would make a fables adventure game. Only reason I didn't dare to hope it was that they said that it's supposed to be something already adapted to tv. Looks like that is Walking Dead. Those two are basically the best comic series the last couple of years so I'm extreamly excited.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I wish they'd switch up Fables to a genre I like a little more. I love that series. I'm still going to buy it, because I'm weak like that.

Radogol

Interview highlights:

IGN: What Walking Dead universe does the game fall into? Is it happening in the comic world? The TV show? A mix of both?
Robert Kirkman: Definitely within the comic book world, just like the novel series.

IGN: What kind of game is this?
Robert Kirkman: The game is at an early stage, and we're in the process of mapping this all out now.

IGN: Telltale is known for episodic adventures; is that what's happening here?
Robert Kirkman: Yes, it's definitely episodic.

More at IGN.

I can't wait to see what they do with Fables. It's one of the best comics coming out these days, and the universe is so massive that there are so many different directions the game could go in.

Twig

Banned
KuwabaraTheMan said:
I can't wait to see what they do with Fables. It's one of the best comics coming out these days, and the universe is so massive that there are so many different directions the game could go in.
I know, that's why I'm so goddamn excited about it. Sooo much potential!

beat

Radogol said:
webrunner said:
There's apparently a series in the works too (on ABC)
Not anymore. And I doubt it will be resurrected since Horovitz, Kitsis and Lindelof have sold a pilot for an original series with a VERY similar premise.
I dunno, the very fact that something similar is successful is why I'd say Fables isn't dead in the water. For example, why license Vampire Diaries for TV, if not for a Twilight cash-in? etc. (and they could have just found someone to write a new IP altogether, but they didn't...)

Top Bottom