• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale's Jurassic Park details from Game Informer [Screenshots Added]

Amalthea

Banned
ajim said:
Wow. How have I not seen this game before?! How does it compare to Park Builder? The same, just visually better?

More or less, but it has not nearly as many animals to clone.

ajim said:
Wow. How have I not seen this game before?! How does it compare to Park Builder? The same, just visually better?

It's still a park building game with dinosaurs, but there's more focus on the dinosaurs than the park building aspect. It's not as intelligent as park builder, but it also has more variety compared to park builder.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Jeff Goldblum is Jurassic Park. So, that's a sale lost.

atomsk

Party Pooper
ruxtpin said:
If this game makes me feel like I'm 10 years old again, then it will have served it's purpose well. I still remember going to see the first movie in theaters, my mom sitting on the phone and having second thoughts about letting me watch it; the phone operator told her it was PG-13 because of "violence involving dinosaurs."

Anyway. I played Jurassic Park on the Genesis into the ground. It's probably not a good sign that I actually enjoyed the Turok reboot... FUCKING DINOSAURS PEOPLE!

This has already been bought by me.

I own and enjoy Jurassic: The Hunted :lol

Looks decent in the *ahem* that are floating around the net, but it'll take a lot to convince me it'll be anything other than a sub par QTE driven pile of crap like Heavy Rain.

Radogol said:
* Gameplay mostly inspired by Heavy Rain. While not stated outright, the preview seems to imply that action sequences will be QTE. Moreover, some choices will have consequences, although not as meaningful as in Heavy Rain.
So it will suck in every way? Great!

V_Ben

Banned
Interesting ideas, no goldblum makes me sad, and telltale's engine doesn't do realism too well, but I'll reserve judgement on those until I see a trailer :D Still, it's telltale :)

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
how is it possible to have choices that are less meaningful than those found in Heavy Rain?

Brobzoid said:
how is it possible to have choices that are less meaningful than those found in Heavy Rain?

Having stuff not affect the narrative perhaps (say what you will, but your choices did have an effect on the narrative and outcome of certain events in the game)

Rflagg

Game play inspired by heavy rain is huge letdown for me. This game would have been much better served going with game play inspired by say dead space, RE 4, or dino crisis 2. I would have also been stoked if it was a afrika/pokemon snap type thing.

Rflagg said:
Game play inspired by heavy rain is huge letdown for me. This game would have been much better served going with game play inspired by say dead space, RE 4, or dino crisis 2. I would have also been stoked if it was a afrika/pokemon snap type thing.

Again. This is Telltale Games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Rflagg said:
Really? You want an action game? What makes you think they could even pull that off?

Heavy Rain style play is pretty similar to standard graphic adventure gameplay anyways, so I don't see the problem.

dark10x said:
Heavy Rain style play is pretty similar to standard graphic adventure gameplay anyways, so I don't see the problem.

Right. I mean, Telltale is known for graphic adventures, correct? I didn't think this was going to be an action game at all. Jurassic Park might be inspired by Heavy Rain but that doesn't mean it's going to have the terribly implemented gameplay mechanics that Heavy Rain had. This is Telltale, I'm sure it will be much better.

There's a difference between being inspired by something, and copying something directly. JP is inspired by Heavy Rain which is inspired by other graphic adventure titles. People need to seriously stop taking everything at surface-level, face value. Heavy Rain wasn't bad because of what it was, it was bad because of the terrible writing and poorly implemented gameplay mechanics.

Radogol

Dynoro said:
QTEs? I'm out - absolutely hate that 'gameplay' choice

I'll paraphrase:

Telltale is also heavily inspired by Heavy Rain's gameplay mechanics. The team is still figuring out how actions are presented to the player, but Telltale is approaching the task with strong focus on cinematic presentation of your interactions. When tension escalates to life or death scrambling, the gameplay shifts to immediate response.

I understand that as QTEs, but it's quite possible I'm wrong and perhaps Jake should do some damage control ;)

Brobzoid said:

In Heavy Rain, some of your failures (much more so than choices) actually influenced the ending. Here, I assume it will come down to the difference between:

You were nice to me in our earlier conversation, so I'll help you.

and

You were rude to me in our earlier conversation, but I'll help you anyway.

Inconsequential consequences, in other words ;)

Ezalc

No major movie characters? Five Episodes? Plays like Heavy Rain?

Well then:

36efc1d2.gif

Ezalc said:
No major movie characters? Five Episodes? Plays like Heavy Rain?

We've known that Telltale is the developer. We know that Telltale does graphic adventure titles, which Heavy Rain itself was inspired by. We've known that it's going to be episodic like the Back to the Future game.

There's no major movie characters because those characters either died or got off the island.

sam27368

Banned
If it wasn't Telltale then I'd probably write it off after reading that, but they've done some great stuff with ideas that when first glanced on paper you'd think "eh"

sam27368

Banned
Radogol said:
In Heavy Rain, some of your failures (much more so than choices) actually influenced the ending. Here, I assume it will come down to the difference between:
Realllly?

I seem to think it'll be either "I found the key to that door" or "Oh look that T Rex is dismembering me"

Branduil

Radogol said:
* Gameplay mostly inspired by Heavy Rain.
And with that my hopes for this game dropped to pretty much zero. Seriously, a Jurassic Park game which doesn't involve a good combat system?

Tron 2.0

D'oh!

I've enjoyed the few Telltale Games I've played and I love Jurassic Park so I remain cautiously optimistic.

Branduil said:
And with that my hopes for this game dropped to pretty much zero. Seriously, a Jurassic Park game which doesn't involve a good combat system?

I don't think I've ever played a Telltale game that wasn't a point and click adventure game.

zoku88

Branduil said:
You were seriously expecting an action game from telltale? Really?

Branduil

CaptainAhab said:
I don't think I've ever played a Telltale game that wasn't a point and click adventure game.
Still, it's weird to make a game based on Jurassic Park where you don't get to fight dinosaurs. It's not as if Jurassic Park has some amazingly deep setting perfect for an adventure game.

zoku88

Branduil said:
Still, it's weird to make a game based on Jurassic Park where you don't get to fight dinosaurs. It's not as if Jurassic Park has some amazingly deep setting perfect for an adventure game.
Don't they spend most of the (first) movie not fighting? But instead, trying to get out of tricky situations? (And running.)

I haven't watched in a while, but I don't remember them killing many dinosuars.

Branduil

zoku88 said:
Don't they spend most of the (first) movie not fighting? But instead, trying to get out of tricky situations? (And running.)

I haven't watched in a while, but I don't remember them killing many dinosuars.
Yeah, but it's a movie. If it's a game I want to fight dinos. But obviously, this game isn't for me. Carry on.

Polk

SuperSonic1305 said:
Are people seriously complaining about QTE's in a point and click adventure game? SERIOUSLY?
TBH nothing says p&c adventures like QTEs.
But I'll wait until all info before making judgement.

Having seen Heavy Rain LP'd, I can say that any publisher comparing their game to it immediately sets off massive warning signals in my head. But I'll keep an eye on it, just because it's Telltale.

UrbanRats

Radogol said:
Not much, but that's better than nothing:

* Story takes place during and directly after the first movie.
good.
* Gameplay mostly inspired by Heavy Rain. While not stated outright, the preview seems to imply that action sequences will be QTE. Moreover, some choices will have consequences, although not as meaningful as in Heavy Rain.
could be good, at least it won't have the pretentious bullshits from HR.
* There will be puzzles, but there are no examples.
really good, make it already better than HR.
* The main character is not named in the preview, but from the screens, appears to be park staff.
ok.
* No major movie characters will appear (specifically: no Grant, no Malcolm, no Sattler). Some bit players will, however, like the chief veterinarian.
don't care
* Five episodes.
uhm.. not too fond of the formula
* The art design is realistic - much better looking than CSI from the screens, but far from Heavy Rain quality of course ;)
so they are going for "serious business"? I hope they nail it.
my 2 cents.

Bernbaum

I have faith.

It's set around the first film - there's some strong iconic imagery they can use.

Finger's crossed that Samuel L. Jackson's arm is an item.

Branduil said:

The book had a lot more science fiction and they spent a ton of time poking around the island for supplies and trying to start generators and whatnot. If there was a ton of psuedo-science dialog and looking for rubber hoses to connect with gas tanks I could see it being pretty faithful.

Bernbaum

The Omega Man said:
I want TF2 Hats pre-order bonus with this, yes I am one of those...
Sniper would look oh-so dapper with a Muldoon-style hat. Valves characterization even borrows a fews cues from everyone's favourite gun-toting dinosaur park warden!

Tigel

Branduil said:
Yeah, but it's a movie. If it's a game I want to fight dinos. But obviously, this game isn't for me. Carry on.
That's the kind of thinking that I don't understand. Why must video games always be about fighting/killing/blowing shit up? A game can be good and interesting without having to do any of those things.

Platy

Radogol said:
Not much, but that's better than nothing:

* No major movie characters will appear (specifically: no Grant, no Malcolm, no Sattler). Some bit players will, however, like the chief veterinarian.

...no T-Rex or Raptors ? ='(

=P

Top Bottom