• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale's Jurassic Park details from Game Informer [Screenshots Added]

Radogol

Not much, but that's better than nothing:

* Story takes place during and directly after the first movie.

* Gameplay mostly inspired by Heavy Rain. While not stated outright, the preview seems to imply that action sequences will be QTE. Moreover, some choices will have consequences, although not as meaningful as in Heavy Rain.

* There will be puzzles, but there are no examples.

* The main character is not named in the preview, but from the screens, appears to be park staff.

* No major movie characters will appear (specifically: no Grant, no Malcolm, no Sattler). Some bit players will, however, like the chief veterinarian.

* Five episodes.

* The art design is realistic - much better looking than CSI from the screens, but far from Heavy Rain quality of course ;)

* RELEASE DATE: Spring 2011

* No word on which consoles will get it. Other than that, PC and Mac obviously.

Heavy Rain with dinosaurs?

This sounds weird and isn't at all how I'd choose for the game to play, but I can also imagine it being really cool if done well.

Oli

I love Jurassic Park, so I'm interested. But no movie characters? That's kind of a shame...

Ceebs

* No major movie characters will appear (specifically: no Grant, no Malcolm, no Sattler). Some bit players will, however, like the chief veterinarian.

Does Samuel L. Jackson's arm count as a major character or is the possibility of backing into it still up in the air?

KevinCow

Banned
Radogol said:
Moreover, some choices will have consequences, although not as meaningful as in Heavy Rain.

Even less meaningful than Heavy Rain? So basically choices won't have consequences?

Radogol

Ceebs said:
Does Samuel L. Jackson's arm count as a major character or is the possibility of backing into it still up in the air?

Actually, his Jackson's character sounds likely, considering he's chief engineer and the game appears to tell the story of the first movie from the staff's point of view.

KevinCow said:
Even less meaningful than Heavy Rain? So basically choices won't have consequences?

Yes.

Plasma

Banned
Looking forward to this one, glad it is set during and after the first movie as well, I always like the Site A location rather than Site B.

If this turns out to have action gameplay in it after all, it sounds like it'll actually play surprisingly like an update of Resident Evil 3, complete with Choice Point scenes in which you decide whether to blow up the gas tank or hide in the cellar and playing out somewhat differently if you complete goals in a certain order. I fucking loved Resident Evil 3, so if this actually works sort of like a very modern version of that basic structure, I'm down.
KevinCow said:
Yep, that's what made me think of Resident Evil 3 - choices don't really affect the story TOO much, but they do affect it very slightly.

Steroyd

Before i clicked on this I was hoping for something to fill the void that is Dino Crisis.

I now leave the thread disapointed.

I like the staff bit, I dont like that they will appear no major characters.

Also, no action segments in a dinosaur game?
And the heavy rain bit doesnt sound good. No one bit.

Radogol

Plasma said:
Looking forward to this one, glad it is set during and after the first movie as well, I always like the Site A location rather than Site B.

You'll be glad to know that the screens show the "When dinosaurs ruled the earth" hall for example, recreated in detail. On another one, the main character is trying to reach Nedry's jeep, presumably after you-know-what happened.

Speaking of Nedry, the embryos he lost in the jungle will be touched upon.

badcrumble said:
If this turns out to have action gameplay in it after all, it sounds like it'll actually play surprisingly like an update of Resident Evil 3.

Steroyd said:
Before i clicked on this I was hoping for something to fill the void that is Dino Crisis.

Guys, it's a TellTale game :lol

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I like the staff bit, I dont like that they will appear no major characters.

Also, no action segments in a dinosaur game?
And the heavy rain bit doesnt sound good. No one bit.

Action segments could still be there via QTE like events. Telltale did say they would leave their comfort zone with this game.

Well I'm not the biggest fan of QTE's, but I can't deny that Heavy Rain had me on the edge of my seat more than a few times. Take the car scene from Heavy Rain, for example, throw in a T-Rex and I'd be more than happy. But at the same time it seems like a waste if the combat is always going to boil down to 'A Velociraptor jumps on you, tape 'A' as fast as possible'.

InaudibleWhispa said:
Well I'm not the biggest fan of QTE's, but I can't deny that Heavy Rain had me on the edge of my seat more than a few times. Take the car scene from Heavy Rain, for example, throw in a T-Rex and I'd be more than happy. But at the same time it seems like a waste if the combat is always going to boil down to 'A Velociraptor jumps on you, tape 'A' as fast as possible'.

It's a Telltale game. They do adventure games, not Dino Crisis games.

Telltale must be doing pretty well. In bed with Lucas and Universal.

Eh. The lack of actors kind of pours water over this game.

Ulairi

Banned
dollartaco said:
HR did QTEs very well. And the consequences of different choices were VERY important to the way your story played out.

Uh....no. The story is the same no matter what you do. And QTE are a crutch for designers who cannot create compelling gameplay.

Kagari said:
No major characters? :/ Interest level dropping...
I would buy a game in which I get to play as Jeff Goldblum, no questions asked. I don't think even Jeff Goldblum knows what it's like to be in full control of Jeff Goldblum.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
badcrumble said:
I would buy a game in which I get to play as Jeff Goldblum, no questions asked. I don't think even Jeff Goldblum knows what it's like to be in full control of Jeff Goldblum.

:lol I think I would too!

Amir0x

Banned
KevinCow said:

:lol

At least we know one thing. There won't be any pretensions of grand quality storytelling as there was in Heavy Rain, so it'll at least be hilarious for the right reasons

Vinterbird said:
It's a Telltale game. They do adventure games, not Dino Crisis games.
I understand that, and I wouldn't expect Telltale to create an action game. But that is what I picture when I imagine the use of the Jurassic Park license, not QTE's. Having said that, any attempt to create a JP action game would probably result in mediocrity, at best, and I'm a fan of adventure games, so I'm still excited.

Ulairi said:
Uh....no. The story is the same no matter what you do. And QTE are a crutch for designers who cannot create compelling gameplay.

Or a way to implement more movement, action and interesting scenes into a game that is not trying to be the typical ludic focused game experience.

(and yeah, your QTE decisions did affect stuff in HR)

Mdk7

Given my love for dinosaurs (and for the franchise) i'll probably end buying it, yet those first info don't sound that inspiring.

Salsa

Radogol said:
Not much, but that's better than nothing:

* Story takes place during and directly after the first movie.

* Gameplay mostly inspired by Heavy Rain. While not stated outright, the preview seems to imply that action sequences will be QTE. Moreover, some choices will have consequences, although not as meaningful as in Heavy Rain.

* There will be puzzles, but there are no examples.

* The main character is not named in the preview, but from the screens, appears to be park staff.

* Five episodes.

* The art design is realistic - much better looking than CSI from the screens, but far from Heavy Rain quality of course ;)

* RELEASE DATE: Spring 2011

* No word on which consoles will get it. Other than that, PC and Mac obviously.

Highlighted the stuff i dont like

oh well, i have faith in Telltale, and at least it seems they're going out of their comfort zone.

Jurassic Park details!? Fuck ye--

Radogol said:

Oh... oh... hmmm... No thanks.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
InaudibleWhispa said:
I understand that, and I wouldn't expect Telltale to create an action game. But that is what I picture when I imagine the use of the Jurassic Park license, not QTE's. Having said that, any attempt to create a JP action game would probably result in mediocrity, at best, and I'm a fan of adventure games, so I'm still excited.
Personally, I would love to see Trespasser revisited.

The game had a lot of problems, but most of it stems from ambitions too great for mid-90s technology. The game they wanted to build was simply impossible to create back then.

These days, though? It could work.

The game was, by and large, an exploration adventure game with some action elements. Exploring the world was a large part of the appeal and they actually did a really good job with some of the later areas. The game it was trying to be is still something that hasn't really appeared since.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
QTEs are basically one step away from the game becoming a fan film set in the JP universe... and this is coming from BTTF which might have been the easiest adventure game they've ever made.

bengraven

When will they just do the open world FPS, with Cryengine, that I've wanted? Maybe if it's successful.

Also, when will we get JP:OG2?

Come on people.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Damn that's not far away. The first Back to the Future episode was excellent so it's disappointing we get no returning characters in this one.

owlbeak

They need to make a proper sequel to Trespasser goddammit! One of my favorite games of all time. It got shit on by reviewers because it was years ahead of its time technology-wise.

Hmm. I'm interested. As far as I'm concerned, Jurassic Park's best "characters" were the dinosaurs themselves. The humans were just vehicles for viewing or gettin' et by said dinosaurs.

And Heavy Rain style gameplay where I'm on an island full of dinosaurs would be more interesting than a game where Bad Accent McSadfaces walk around a French Philadelphia.

Tyrant_Onion said:
You consider Battle of the Giants but not this? :lol

I considered Battle of Giants until I saw the Ubi Soft logo, and that was long ago. Hell, if I had to choose, I probably would go for Battle of Giants over this. At least that's a game.

ajim

The best Jurassic Park game is the Jurassic Park: Park Builder. I would love a revission of that with more details and features, so much fun.

ajim said:
The best Jurassic Park game is the Jurassic Park: Park Builder. I would love a revission of that with more details and features, so much fun.

Try Operation Genesis then. That's basically a console version of the same game. Well it's not the same game, just the exact same genre from the exact same franchise.

ajim

Cow Mengde said:
Try Operation Genesis then. That's basically a console version of the same game. Well it's not the same game, just the exact same genre from the exact same franchise.
Wow. How have I not seen this game before?! How does it compare to Park Builder? The same, just visually better?

ruxtpin

Banned
If this game makes me feel like I'm 10 years old again, then it will have served it's purpose well. I still remember going to see the first movie in theaters, my mom sitting on the phone and having second thoughts about letting me watch it; the phone operator told her it was PG-13 because of "violence involving dinosaurs."

Anyway. I played Jurassic Park on the Genesis into the ground. It's probably not a good sign that I actually enjoyed the Turok reboot... FUCKING DINOSAURS PEOPLE!

This has already been bought by me.

Top Bottom