• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale's The Walking Dead - Story Discussion (UNMARKED SPOILERS)

Zeliard

walkingdead1012012-116ru64.png

walkingdead1012012-11k2oab.png

walkingdead1012012-115fuh3.png

walkingdead1012012-11i0uz4.png

walkingdead1012012-11w7pwd.png

walkingdead1012012-11yyukf.png

walkingdead1012012-11k9u2t.png

walkingdead1012012-11l1uls.png

walkingdead1012012-1108ucw.png

walkingdead1012012-11hburg.png

walkingdead1012012-11jduem.png

walkingdead1012012-11kluyt.png

walkingdead1012012-11eyun6.png

walkingdead1012012-11qbuas.png

walkingdead1012012-11wlrrx.png

kai3345

Banned
Loved the Episode, but I still think 2&3 were my favorites

Also was kinda bummed out by the sudden ending, but was a little relieved when the post credits scene played.

But yeah, this is no doubt my GOTY

Also, what happens for the Alley scene with Ben and Kenny if Ben is already dead?

Just finished it, loved it. One thing bothers me with that last episode. My end statistics said I told christa to find a family for Clem BUT like the last thing I said to her was that she and Omid would make a great famlily for Clem. At one point I had told Christa to help find Clem a good family. But at the end, my gut choice was for Clem to be with Christa and Omid. And I told Clem to look for Omid and Christa. My after credits scene was Clem out in a field and looking at some people on the horizon.

So It doesn't seem like my choice mattered in that aspect. Actually the end credit scene renders meaningless pretty every choice in the game. It only serves to allow for a second season.

But besides that, this game is a strong contender for game of the year in my book. I wish I hadn't written this post. I would have rather spent the time thinking about my time in this universe.

Oh man. I had to stop myself from crying. I felt it coming, the lump in my throat. Then when I told Clem "I'll miss you" I practically lost it and had to just take myself out of the moment so I wouldn't cry. I knew thats how it would end, I think everyone playing the game knew it was coming to that, at least since the end of episode 4. But damn it, it still got to me. Good job guys. This game was amazing. Pretty sure a video game has never had me so close to just full blown crying before.

I don't think that a second season with Clem would be as good though. It just wouldn't be the same without Lee there with her. Maybe if it WAS years later and Clem was older, so that she didn't look the same. But Clem as a little girl, hanging around with someone besides Lee to take care of her? Nope, it wouldn't work. That character would be constantly compared to Lee and that's just not fair. As much as I want to see what happened to Clem, I just feel like it would be cheap to pair her up with someone else. So I hope Season 2 is with a new cast of characters. Maybe you could run into Christa, Omid, and Clem for an episode, but (at the very least Clem) shouldn't be major characters next season. That's my thoughts anyhow.

Bravo to everyone who had a part in this game. Excellent job. Loved all of it.

My only question is now do I replay the whole thing to see things play out differently or just let the story stay pure in my mind?

To think that I paid $ 20ish bucks for this much entertainment is staggering. Hope a Season 2 is around the corner.

Thoraxes

Is it weird that I felt more sad for Lee than I did Clem?

I just can't believe he's dead now. It's the most sad part for me.

Dude has had a rough-ass life and was handed the shit end of the stick even with being granted temporary joy with Clem.

MooMoo

Oh man oh man oh man oh man. Must replay to change the past x.X Didn't want Lee to die but cutting off the arm felt like a crapshoot and I thought he'd turn if you cut off the arm anyways so I figured functionality of two arms was more important.

I thought this episode moved a little too fast but it was an enjoyable ride nonetheless. Kenny jumping down to save Christa was a huge WTF moment for me because it came out of no where. I mean, after all the shit Kenny talks I was surprised he just jumped down there like it was nothing. Also frustrated that I let Clem kill the crazy guy; I thought that maybe you would have a chance to incapacitate him or something so I purposefully messed up on the QTE. Also screw that crazy stalker guy; having him be the guy you "stole" food from I thought was kinda...odd haha. It was a nice way to be to tie in all the previous decisions though/kinda reflect on everything that had happened though.

Between this and VLR....man I'm just speechless.

Zeliard

Oh man oh man oh man oh man. Must replay to change the past x.X Didn't want Lee to die but cutting off the arm felt like a crapshoot and I thought he'd turn if you cut off the arm anyways so I figured functionality of two arms was more important.

I didn't cut Lee's arm off because a) I figured it wouldn't accomplish a damn thing, and b) I anticipated a fight with Clem's kidnapper and wanted to strangle him with both hands.

Then Lee uses one hand anyway to strangle the guy and I was disappoint. Then Clem shot the kidnapper in the face and I was happy.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Even if none of the choices in the game actually mattered in the end, it was still pretty damn good. The writing was a bit off for some choices and events, but it was still a great ride, and I'll be there day 1 for Season 2.

It's a shame about the usual Telltale jank, and I hope that their future games will be improved thanks to the success of this game.

Gary as in Gary Whitta? I'm pretty sure he had nothing to do with this episode.

I know. I still blame him.

Zeliard

Yeah I don't want more stuff with Clem. The great thing about her character was her relationship to Lee, and that is distinctly over now. Last thing I want is to play as the Molly version of Clem. :p

Jintor

I'm crying. I'm crying. Sobs, and tears, and breath. This game. This story. Bravo. Goodbye, Clementine. Goodbye, Lee. I don't think I can put how I feel into words, other than I'm grateful I experienced this.

As someone that thought episode 4 was actually bad, this episode brought the series back to its former glory. It was incredible. It was heartwrenching and exciting and the writing was great.

There were none of the stupid lines or dumb choices from the last episode, the characters felt real and not like caricatures of all their development so far.

I'm down for season 2. Won't even be waiting for a sale. Need that shit immediately.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Man since finishing the game this morning my mind has been wondering on and off all day if Clem is going to be okay, this game has done gone and messed with my head. Get out of my thoughts you fictional character I don't wanna be worrying about you anymore! Fuck!

Trigger

Really don't understand why a bunch of people are clamouring for the sequel to star a teenage Clem. Why?

I'm not sure if I want to go through the same motions with a completely new group next season. The concept of the Walking Dead has always been about a zombie movie that doesn't end. It feels more in line with the series's nature to follow Clem. Of course, I'd always want the writers to do whatever feels best. Just my thoughts. :p

Gbraga

Mother of god, that was amazing. This is my GOTY and nothing is taking its prize. Absolutely amazing. Lee and Clementine will always live in my heart as two of the best characters in gaming, also I think Walking Dead is the best written game this generation, and I'll seriously consider giving it a spot in my top 10 best games ever. I was that moved. I hope there is no Clementine or anyone we've already seen in Season 1 back for 2. This wonderful ending should not be continued at all.

btw, what is the song that played during credits? So good.

Jintor

Kenny's fucking arc in my version was fantastic. I seriously thought he was going to brain me in the attic, but he surpassed my expectations. Godspeed, Kenny. You're with Katja and Duck now.

The ending made me think whether if I was in the same situation as Lee, could I teach a little girl not to be afraid, to take care of herself, and not screw her head up at the same time.

I didn't want to put my death on her conscious so I told her to just leave and let me die.

I wasn't confident that she would make it out of the town. She definitely needs an adult to watch out for her a little bit longer.

FoeHammer

Just finished. Heartwrenching.

This is definitely my GOTY. I never expected to say that, but this was one of the best gaming experiences I've had all generation.

The Molly thing was, overall, really fucking weird.

She comes in, has a small, enclosed story, and then fucks off after the game finishes with the option whether she lives or dies.

Which doesn't really appear to have mattered at all.

Zeliard

I'm not sure if I want to go through the same motions with a completely new group next season. The concept of the Walking Dead has always been about a zombie movie that doesn't end. It feels more in line with the series's nature to follow Clem. Of course, I'd always want the writers to do whatever feels best. Just my thoughts. :p

Feels like Clem's story is basically done, though. I'm not sure where else there is to take her character. If the canon story is that she doesn't trust anyone, then she'll become a hardened badass type in the style of Molly/Michonne, and we've already seen that. If she goes with Omid and Christa, then they go live on a farm or something.

Either way, they have their work cut out for them in Season 2 to create something as memorable as the Clem/Lee relationship. Or Lee and Kenny, for that matter.

I don't think they should continue showing Clementine's story in season 2. Our look into her life began and ended with Lee and it should stay that way. I wouldn't mind a cameo in season 2 but the central focus should be on a person/group.

Gbraga

Kenny's fucking arc in my version was fantastic. I seriously thought he was going to brain me in the attic, but he surpassed my expectations. Godspeed, Kenny. You're with Katja and Duck now.

I feel you bro, I left Episode 4 in the FUCK KENNY team, but those telltale bastards...

Fuck, he really grew on me there, damn you Kenny... :(

Jintor

The Molly thing was, overall, really fucking weird.

She comes in, has a small, enclosed story, and then fucks off after the game finishes with the option whether she lives or dies.

Which doesn't really appear to have mattered at all.

This is a bit of a tricky viewpoint to reconcile with a story-based game, but in TWD, despite the way the game plays out, the 'universe' as such isn't centred around Lee and Clem. Every character is the hero (well, protagonist) of their own story, and Molly just dropped in to ours for a moment and then went off back on her own.

That's how I deal with it, anyway.

This is a bit of a tricky viewpoint to reconcile with a story-based game, but in TWD, despite the way the game plays out, the 'universe' as such isn't centred around Lee and Clem. Every character is the hero (well, protagonist) of their own story, and Molly just dropped in to ours for a moment and then went off back on her own.

That's how I deal with it, anyway.

But she established motivations, then just said "Oh, right, screw those, I'm out."

That
was bad writing and ultimately I have to view a story on how well it accomplishes its writing.

Jintor

She had no motivation to stay with you as a group from what I recall. She wanted something from Crawford, got it once the snarl about being trapped there was resolved, and zarked out.

Trigger

The only thing that bothers me about Molly is that she leaves the story right when she would've been the most useful.

Feels like Clem's story is basically done, though. I'm not sure where else there is to take her character. If the canon story is that she doesn't trust anyone, then she'll become a hardened badass type in the style of Molly/Michonne, and we've already seen that. If she goes with Omid and Christa, then they go live on a farm or something.

Either way, they have their work cut out for them in Season 2 to create something as memorable as the Clem/Lee relationship. Or Lee and Kenny, for that matter.

I don't think they should continue showing Clementine's story in season 2. Our look into her life began and ended with Lee and it should stay that way. I wouldn't mind a cameo in season 2 but the central focus should be on a person/group.

I can understand this reasoning.

She had no motivation to stay with you as a group from what I recall. She wanted something from Crawford, got it once the snarl about being trapped there was resolved, and zarked out.

She explicitly made a deal with Lee that she had to be one of the people on the boat or she will not help.

Did anyone else get that dialogue?

Jintor

Oh right! Hmmm. That's harder to deal with. Could rationalise it as seeing no way in hell the boat was going to fit everybody and her striking out on her own without saying anything, she is that kind of character.

Anyway, give me a Director's Commentary version TTG

MormaPope

Banned
About to play episode 5 in about 30 minutes. Need to have a smoke and build up strength not to lose my shit. So far episode 2&3 have gotten to me the most.

347026_o.gif

Trigger

Oh right! Hmmm. That's harder to deal with. Could rationalise it as seeing no way in hell the boat was going to fit everybody and her striking out on her own without saying anything, she is that kind of character.

Anyway, give me a Director's Commentary version TTG

I'm pretty sure she says that's why she was leaving actually. It's pretty logical.

She was just using that as an excuse to go into Crawford. She never had any intention of getting on that boat.

Then the motivation didn't need to be established in the first place. It was perfectly acceptable that she was willing to go because she's involved now, or she wanted to stick it to Crawford, or she wanted to supplies, etc. Just having a character introduce themselves, explain their motives, and then go "Whooooop, lied," is pretty terrible.

I cried. Like. For real. Saying goodbye to Clem was heatwrenching. I have not cried at a video game before, but this really did it. I have been moved before, and gotten a bit misty, but I've never really had tears streaming down my face. I'm inclined to say the fact that this was barely a video game is part of that, but my actions really felt like they mattered. Whether they did or not isn't important, I felt like I really had agency, and that made me feel connected to Clementine. I wanted nothing more than to stay with her and protect her, and I was heart broken to be unable to do that.

WTF WHY IS YOUR CLEM WEARING DIFFERENT CLOTHES?!

Jintor

Oh, the parallel between Clem going overkill on the security zombie and you (most likely) going overkill on the babysitter zombie... excellent.

Top Bottom