• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale's The Walking Dead - Story Discussion (UNMARKED SPOILERS)

My game of the year too. Fantastic ending, tears were shed. As much as I'm enjoying this season of the TV show, the game kinda puts it to shame in terms of its characters and in particular the relationship between Lee and Clem.

That damn credits scene... as much as I'm excited for Season 2 to be a new group of people (I assume), I need to know that Clem is going to be OK :'(

Chavelo

Just finished the game... That thump at the end when she looks to the distance...

The onions... Stop cutting the onions...

I loved how much of badass Lee is walking through those zombies in the street like a fucking boss. Bitch, you best not get between him and Clem.

GOTY right here, but fuck the onions... :*(

Aurongel

Beat it this morning on PC and I absolutely loved it from beginning to end.

I didn't lop off the arm, I figured it had been too long since it was infected for it to make any difference. That; and the fact that Vernon had cleared out most of the surgical/medical supplies and it didn't seem like there was any immediate way to cleanse the wound. I wasn't very happy with how both Kenny and Ben went out. While it was good to see both Kenny and Ben make some peace after Ben nutted up and told off Kenny (great scene), I couldn't help but feel that Kenny's reasons for staying with Ben were a bit shaky. I mean, Ben had about two feet of pure metallic pain sticking out of his chest.

Unlike most people here though, I really appreciate how there was no grand revelation involving Christa's pregnancy. The first time Lee made a remark like "You're climbing for two" I was a bit surprised and thought it was the result of poor writing or cuts. The more I think about it though, I appreciate how Lee's realization was more or less in line with what I already knew about Christa.

My game of the year too. Fantastic ending, tears were shed. As much as I'm enjoying this season of the TV show, the game kinda puts it to shame in terms of its characters and in particular the relationship between Lee and Clem.

That damn credits scene... as much as I'm excited for Season 2 to be a new group of people (I assume), I need to know that Clem is going to be OK :'(

This! If Clem is not OK kittens will pay for it! >_<

Man, what a game. Easily my GOTY.

Dave1988

Finished it half an hour ago. Feels were had. This game's ending is a shining beacon in a year where almost every game had a shitty and/or unsatisfying ending.

Telltale and Gary Whitta....

cheers9lp0k.gif

bjork

This has been the best gaming experience of the year for me. Not just the game itself, but things like discussing plot theories on here, watching things like the stat videos and knowing that means a new episode comes soon, and then eagerly waiting for the new episodes to download on release day. Whoever came up with Clementine as Lee's moral barometer is a genius, because it kept my Lee a reserved and level-headed guy; I do two separate playthroughs to see how the story changes depending on where your loyalties lie, but I always follow one rule: do right by Clementine first.

I follow the comic and the show as well, but I feel that the game has a slightly different atmosphere. Perhaps it's the lack of romance/relationship drama, or that the arguments are generally carried out with a timer on the final decision in many cases, but I find the game's interpersonal conflicts harder to pick a side on, and that's great for a game that tweaks things based on the way you choose.

I could probably ramble on a bit more, but I won't. I just want to say to Jake and Gary Whitta, and to the rest of Telltale whether they post here or not: excellent job, and I am very pleased to have played your game. It is my game of the year without a doubt, and I would feel safe placing it in my all-time top 10. Possibly my top 5, even. That outclasses 30+ years and thousands of other games. Definitely looking forward to a season 2 if/when that happens, and you've earned my money for that already. Thank you for making this.

Also, thank you for not killing Clementine. Unless that post-credit sequence was her spirit in heaven and the two figures are the spirits of her parents...

Scrabble

This has been the best gaming experience of the year for me. Not just the game itself, but things like discussing plot theories on here, watching things like the stat videos and knowing that means a new episode comes soon, and then eagerly waiting for the new episodes to download on release day. Whoever came up with Clementine as Lee's moral barometer is a genius, because it kept my Lee a reserved and level-headed guy; I do two separate playthroughs to see how the story changes depending on where your loyalties lie, but I always follow one rule: do right by Clementine first.

I follow the comic and the show as well, but I feel that the game has a slightly different atmosphere. Perhaps it's the lack of romance/relationship drama, or that the arguments are generally carried out with a timer on the final decision in many cases, but I find the game's interpersonal conflicts harder to pick a side on, and that's great for a game that tweaks things based on the way you choose.

I could probably ramble on a bit more, but I won't. I just want to say to Jake and Gary Whitta, and to the rest of Telltale whether they post here or not: excellent job, and I am very pleased to have played your game. It is my game of the year without a doubt, and I would feel safe placing it in my all-time top 10. Possibly my top 5, even. That outclasses 30+ years and thousands of other games. Definitely looking forward to a season 2 if/when that happens, and you've earned my money for that already. Thank you for making this.

Also, thank you for not killing Clementine. Unless that post-credit sequence was her spirit in heaven and the two figures are the spirits of her parents...

shut up... that's crazy talk

Harlock

Ow, don´t expected the Platinum trophy.

Game of year. Don´t know if I wish season 2 with Clementine or a entire new people.

Plasma

Banned
Just finished it, saved Clementine :)

I hope they get a new group for season 2 I don't want to see that girl go through anything else bad.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Just finished it. I'm legitimately have a lump in my throat and I'm wiping away tears.

Took over Journey for my goty.

Also, fuck you Ben. Why did I save your sorry ass. You killed Kenny. You bastard.

I'm kinda bummed about the game. Not because of what happened but because nothing really mattered.

There was nothing I could do even though I tried everything. It was always gonna end this way.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm kinda bummed about the game. Not because of what happened but because nothing really mattered.

There was nothing I could do even though I tried everything. It was always gonna end this way.

I knew it wasn't going to be happy after ep 4. There was no happy resolution to this.

Well, Clem is safe for now. That's good.

Game of year. Don´t know if I wish season 2 with Clementine or a entire new people.

I'd like new characters, but I'd like a Clem cameo with Omid and Christa just so I know she's OK. To me this story was all about Clem and Lee and their relationship, and they're inseparable as part of a game. Having either feature as a major character without the other isn't something I'd like to see.

I knew it was gonna be a bad ending but just seeing things tied up because there was another choice last episode that would be hard to write around was sad. Their deaths didn't feel right.

It's different in the comics and TV show because we aren't involved in any of the choices made.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Not sure if it's a glitch, but I couldn't see the actual choices I made at the end for this episode. The screen was just:

Decision1:
Decision2:
Decision3:

It actually said "Decision" on the screen. No clue what choices I made that they tracked.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Just finished it.

This is a really special game, it just connects your agency as the player with the story so well that you really feel part of it. To the point where I didn't end the game thinking 'I wonder what changed if...' I ended it thinking 'I saved clementine'. No other game has ever made me feel so engaged, I doubt any other form of entertainment could.

I remember those days before Telltale came along when i used to think 'Adventure games could be so amazing with what we know now' but I never thought one would be this good.

GOTY hands down, this is an experience unlike anything I've ever played.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk

That's why I'm satisfied with watching a Youtube playthrough. The gameplay is minimal anyway, I just want to see what happens. Uploaders are fast too. Full playthroughs of Ep 5 are already up.

Trigger

I knew it was gonna be a bad ending but just seeing things tied up because there was another choice last episode that would be hard to write around was sad. Their deaths didn't feel right.

It's different in the comics and TV show because we aren't involved in any of the choices made.

Hopefully the success of the first season gives TT reason to create more varied story paths.

Dartastic

Just beat it. I might be immediately jumping to conclusions based on my reactions over the past twenty minutes, but I genuinely think that this is easily the game of the year.

I was a fucking wreck at the end. Seriously. I just about had a panic attack when I saw Clem's parents. I had no idea what was going to happen. For the last twenty minutes of the game, I was a sobbing, bubbling mess. No game has ever done that to me before. This game just made me feel emotions that I've never experienced in this medium.

I ultimately told Clem to not shoot me. I wanted her to save the bullet, and I was holding out that I might not turn. I wanted to keep the hope, as Krista was saying. I did cut my arm off, after all. I didn't want her to even come near me though at the end, I was just trying to teach her things that might keep her alive, while wrapped up on my couch bawling. Absolutely incredible.

Bravo, Telltale. Bravo.

My choices.

0fQ2C.jpg

Hmvxn.jpg

Sendou

Not sure if it's a glitch, but I couldn't see the actual choices I made at the end for this episode. The screen was just:

Decision1:
Decision2:
Decision3:

It actually said "Decision" on the screen. No clue what choices I made that they tracked.

That's what happened for me during the last three episodes. I wasn't pleased.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Seeing all this talk about a post-credits scene really makes my wish my game didn't bug out and not save any of my Episode 5 progress.

Either way, this is easily my GOTY so far. Holy shit.

AHA-Lambda

Finished it half an hour ago. Feels were had. This game's ending is a shining beacon in a year where almost every game had a shitty and/or unsatisfying ending.

Telltale and Gary Whitta....

cheers9lp0k.gif

Absolutely this, my GOTY. I cried and I'm not ashamed to admit it ;_;

Jeels

Hmm, I liked the ending, but I kind of wish it didn't just end where it did. In a room and all. I want to know what happened. Was that Omid and Krista in the distance?

Also I could have sworn I read somewhere that Molly was going to return for the finale. It was on The Walking Dead wiki, that if you didn't let her die in Ep4 she'd return...I was looking forward to that the most.

I really feel like the ending was way too obvious. In a way that made it better because every time something would happen you just wanted to get Clem safe and far away from you. It was really grueling. At the same time it wasn't as shocking as I would have liked.

That and I didn't consider the revelation of the stranger to be exciting at all. He was a very interesting character (zombie baby?!) but it's just some guy whose car you stole from and has been stalking you...

And surprise surprise, Clem's parents are zombies!

Still likely my GOTY though.

who was the tech guy that can get killed in the convenience store? Was his name Doug?

Anyway, on my results below his picture it said "You told ________ you thought he was strange (he really is!)" or something like that. Got a chuckle out of me. :)

Lucifon

Just finished it and absolutely loved it. The ending was powerful stuff, although I didn't break I was certainly welling up when Clem was having to do the deed. A great end to a fantastic game, I seriously hope Season 2 is soon.

Was it just me though or was Episode 5 seriously short? Usually it takes me a couple of nights after work to get through an episode but this one was about 1.5 hours.

mxgt

Banned
Just finished it. I have never cried before at a game or even come close for that matter. I didn't cry here but I certainly welled up a bit. Fantastic final episode and ending.

GOTY no doubt and I congratulate Telltale for getting me to care about some of these characters so much.

Scrabble

Hmm, I liked the ending, but I kind of wish it didn't just end where it did. In a room and all. I want to know what happened. Was that Omid and Krista in the distance?

Also I could have sworn I read somewhere that Molly was going to return for the finale. It was on The Walking Dead wiki, that if you didn't let her die in Ep4 she'd return...I was looking forward to that the most.

I really feel like the ending was way too obvious. In a way that made it better because every time something would happen you just wanted to get Clem safe and far away from you. It was really grueling. At the same time it wasn't as shocking as I would have liked.

That and I didn't consider the revelation of the stranger to be exciting at all. He was a very interesting character (zombie baby?!) but it's just some guy whose car you stole from and has been stalking you...

And surprise surprise, Clem's parents are zombies!

Still likely my GOTY though.

what did you expect? Seeing the effects on how a regular person can change due to what's happened around him is what makes it so interesting and dark.

They just released a patch for the PC version on Steam that I assume fixed the achievement.

I played through it again and told clem to save the bullet :(

Yeah that was a rumor spread by a few people talking out of their asses.

Just finished it and absolutely loved it. The ending was powerful stuff, although I didn't break I was certainly welling up when Clem was having to do the deed. A great end to a fantastic game, I seriously hope Season 2 is soon.

Was it just me though or was Episode 5 seriously short? Usually it takes me a couple of nights after work to get through an episode but this one was about 1.5 hours.

Yeah, same for me. But there were less puzzles and normally there were more dialogues with characters when you walk around, but probably since there were so many options for your party they could not do that, so you spend less time.

Type2

It was short but most of the choices caused me to proceed with more hesitation than usual. I thought the episode did a great job of servicing the fans with the final stand at the house with all of your team, Lee's man with nothing to lose zombie killing spree and the great emotional payoff at the end.

Heed my advice Clem and take care of yourself!

Top Bottom