• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tempest 4000 Gameplay Footage

I never really equated Tempest with a rave, but apparently someone thought differently.

8P4dPal.png

Deft Beck

Minter really, really likes this genre, doesn't he?

Not that I'm complaining. He always does a great job.

Well...almost always.

Lettuce

This just looks like a higher res version of the PSX game even has the same damn music....hope it brings more to the table than just better graphics!!

Animations seem to be a bit ...weak, and the shooting sprites don't seem to match the rest of the environment.

Clean those up, and we'll be good.

nampad

Have to say that TxK is enough for me. His new games look cool but are too similar and I did not play that much TxK that I need to buy a new one.

Playing Ploybius in VR is easily one of the most transcendent and breathtaking gaming experiences I've ever had. Any word on this getting VR support?

yup, PolybiusVR is on my GOTY list. I'll follow Minter anywhere, not that I wasn't already, but dang Polybius is niiiiice.

It's god-tier for me but I do need to figure out how to properly play it at some point. I manage to clear the levels and progress at an okay rate but some of the mechanics and icons and effects are beyond me. This is my first Lamasoft game tho, maybe I need to expand my horizons a little.

Go Minter Go!
Super glad this whole Atari fuckwittery has been smoothed over. Still dislike that Company's practices more than Konami, but this is a good sign of improvement.

yyr

I'm shocked that nobody else pointed out that this is exactly what I predicted it would be: TxK with minimal changes.

The player character and its animation are identical.
The shapes of the levels are identical.
The powerup order is identical.
The pop-up text, both tutorial and as you collect things, is identical.
The shot behavior, the jump behavior, the enemy behavior, all identical.

The only differences in this video:
The level names are different.
Some of the enemies and shots look different.
Many of the background effects are different. They seem like placeholders because they're a lot simpler than TxK's.
The TxK soundtrack is gone, replaced by the unmodified, untouched Tempest 2000 soundtrack. Maybe this is also a placeholder.
And last but not least...
...it feels a bit slower. This might just be this "early" version, or this particular video. I don't think Minter would nerf his own game so I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt at this point. TxK's difficulty level was perfect so I hope it doesn't change.

So yeah, this is basically TxK. But as I previously said, this isn't a bad thing. TxK is fantastic and I'm glad those without a Vita or PSTV will finally get to play it. I do personally hope that the original soundtrack can stay, though. It's also fantastic.

I do not understand when the enemies are coming so close and you not getting caught..

In order to be caught by those enemies they have to completely overlap you. If they are entering your lane as you're firing, they die and you're unharmed. This doesn't mean you should be reckless though. Until you're fully powered up, there's a limit to how many shots you can have onscreen at once, and if you're at that limit, then you're not firing...

Oh really. When was the last version?

This is more for the person you replied to.

Tempest 2000 dates back to 1994. It was also released on PC and Saturn in 1996. A reinterpretation called Tempest X3 was developed for PS1 in 1996 as well, although that one was done without Jeff Minter's involvement.

The sequel to that game is Tempest 3000, which was developed and released in 2000 exclusively for Nuon.

Minter had not developed another Tempest-inspired game until TxK, which was released in 2014.

If you go to Llamasoft's Web site you will find that they have developed many games that are not Tempest or Tempest-inspired. Jeff Minter has indeed made more than one game. Space Giraffe is a case in point; it plays very differently from Tempest.

Playing Polybius in VR is easily one of the most transcendent and breathtaking gaming experiences I've ever had. Any word on this getting VR support?

Seeing as how TxK for VR was already finished (or nearly-finished) before it had to be cancelled...it is all but certain.

Shifty

Tomorrow's the day!

*bounce bounce*
Wait, the game has a solid release date? I thought the last we heard after the accidental release-and-takedown was "coming soon".

Glad to hear it if so, maybe Minter will finally be able to get back to that suspiciously absent PC port of Polybius...

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
This is terrific. Tempest 2000 is one of the all-time great videogames, and Yak is a living legend for preserving the "Golden Age" of arcade games from the early 1980s. I certainly hope T4K becomes a success. I'd also like to see a Switch version, as well as a Switch package of the "Project Minotaur" games that appeared on iOS, which are now lost. The motion controls would be perfect for these games, and if Nintendo had any smarts, they would be driving a dump truck full of money up to Yak's front yard.

Obviously, the current Atari owners royally screwed themselves by not making T4K an exclusive for their VCS system, which will likely be doomed to Ouya's fate. But these investors have no plan beyond licensing and merchandising and making a quick buck. They have no clue and don't care.

Havoc2049

Or remaster the song...its like they just copy and pasting the music.

Tempest 2000, Tempest 3000 and TxK/Tempest 4000 all have different soundtracks.

Tempest 4000 actually has a secret menu where you can select the original Tempest 2000 soundtrack, the TxK soundtrack or a remix soundtrack.

Last edited:
Top Bottom